M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
eksratu

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by eksratu »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:04 pm On stage 1, what are the requirements to have a Hyper power-up appear before reaching the first boss (this is in regards to playing the DDP-DOJ BL version, of course)? It seems like you can earn up to three Hypers on just stage 1 alone, right?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I think Hyper power-ups just come down after you do enough chaining, dying, or bee-collecting. I usually grab one a bit after the midboss, chaining the whole first area and getting the first two bees with a combo higher than 50 or so. And if you kill the stage boss's arm during its final attack pattern, that drops two more Hyper power-ups.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:04 pm .... Bitwave will get to Batsugun soon. It's coming February 1, 2024 as part of their recently announced third wave of Toaplan PC ports: https://www.bitwavegames.com/games/batsugun. While Bitwave's releases reportedly have had other bugs, they're pretty much universally praised for their focus on eliminating lag.
Oh wow, I had not clocked at all that bitwave were doing, and had done, so many games... That's pretty cool - cheers!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:25 pm
This is a genre-wide problem.

I may have mentioned it at some point before?
This is extremely memory heavy. That being said, are you playing White Label or Black Label?
I find Black Label to be a decent more fun. More hypers, and slower bullet speed. I can beat
the second boss with no bombs. That's not something I can do, regularly, on White Label.
They had 3 days to fine tune White Label. So... it can be more of a kick in the nuts than even
they meant it to be.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

delete
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

delete
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

delete
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:04 pmOn stage 1, what are the requirements to have a Hyper power-up appear before reaching the first boss (this is in regards to playing the DDP-DOJ BL version, of course)?
Build up a large combo, then collect bees. It's the same process in WL and BL; I've gotten a hyper before the S1 in WL, it's a bit tougher but not impossible by any means. Basically, whenever you collect a bee, you get a bonus to your hyper meter that scales massively according to your current combo. If you pick up bees without a combo going, don't expect a bonus, but if you're at 150 or more on the combo meter and grab bees, you'll see a huge chunk of bonus hyper get earned.

You can see in Stage 1 in this video the player gets a combo of about 130 early on then collects a couple of bees while the combo is active which is enough to drop the first hyper item of the game.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

A few pages back in this thread parts of the menu was translated and the fella asking for it was adviced to use google translate going forward. Fair enough, I have a smartphone so I could also go that route. But... if there exist a collected translation, like with Garegga Rev.2016, I'd be very interested!
qmish

Post by qmish »

There is this https://old.reddit.com/r/shmups/comment ... lated_pdf/ which is useable (even though "was done through smartphone route"), but I hope someone will turn it into a more readable guide (like your garegga example) and perhaps fix some errors if they are present.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Starfighter wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm A few pages back in this thread parts of the menu was translated and the fella asking for it was adviced to use google translate going forward. Fair enough, I have a smartphone so I could also go that route. But... if there exist a collected translation, like with Garegga Rev.2016, I'd be very interested!
It was me who asked. The google translate app is actually very good for this. You can even translate massive screens of text like the manual and it gives seemingly very good, sensical translations. The only slightly annoying thing with google translate is there is no way to natively save a screenshot of the translated page. You can save it as a text document. You'll need to do a screen grab using your phone's functionality for that when you have the google photo on screen.
Last edited by DrTrouserPlank on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:00 pm
DrTrouserPlank wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pmOut of this shit, ketsui, esp.ra.de and dangun feveron which is the easiest clear?
For a straight 1CC of the first loop? Dangun is very, very hard, well above the others. The high speeds are extremely demanding and resources are considerably tighter vs DOJ, Ketsui, or Esp.Ra.De. Apparently all three of those are considered roughly the same as far as difficulty goes, but I've never cleared Esp.Ra.De; the final levels and especially the final boss are extremely demanding IMO. Ketsui's last level is rough but there's an extra life there in addition to the S3 one, and the final boss isn't unreasonably hard.

If you're finding Cave games too tough, you don't have to keep banging your head against 'em. There's plenty of shmups out there that are easier to clear but remain plenty fun, like Rangerdog or Vastynex.
I actually played dangun feveron to completion today, and it felt like I was playing a mame emulation which was missing all the intended slowdown lol. There's a point to which I could trade the increased speed for less dense patterns, but that seems pretty silly unless there are ways to set up the attacks that render them less about reacting and more about dodging to a rhythm.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I know I asked earlier which was the easiest clear from ketsui, dangun, DOJ and ESP.ra.de and man it really is pick your poison. Unless there is some super cheese strat the trivialises one of them I feel it's Esp.ra.de or DOJ ... strongly leaning to DOJ however. Maybe ESP.ra.de has some way to cheese bombs or some special route where you can just chain them to cheat the entire game ... but the patterns are very tight and the hitbox is nebulous. DOJ is restrictive to the point where I'm surprised they let you even enter more money without doing some sort of background check. Obviously I'm not going to clear either but I'm amazed to find myself feeling as though DOJ is the easier.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:04 pmMaybe ESP.ra.de has some way to cheese bombs
Kinda this. You can refill your Psy-Shield supply with E Tanks collected just like the score icons gained from your Secondary Shot. For survival play, you can get a LOT of uses out of a single shield, and with some basic routing you'll soon find you can just use that resource to bypass lots of tricky bits you'd have to learn much more fully in other games (DOJ is a good example of this).

It's a very aggressive game, and rewards you for rushing up on larger enemies and point-blanking them with your Secondary, soaking up the icons, and then sliding over to the next. Get in the rhythm, and it's quite generous. There's also an easy-to-get hidden 1-up on Stage 4 that's much more reliable than the frustratingly complicated "big ship" one in Ketsui, or DOJ's "big laser."
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any reason I still keep getting the same old art in Black Label mode, even though I have the 2023 art chosen?
Do they need to patch this, or is there something I'm missing?
Steven

Post by Steven »

You can't use the new art in Black Label. Pretty sure it doesn't work in DDP III either.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Steven wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:55 am You can't use the new art in Black Label. Pretty sure it doesn't work in DDP III either.
Well, that's a dumb decision. I hope they patch it, like they did the visible hit box in BL.
Steven

Post by Steven »

M2 does all sorts of weird stuff that makes no sense, like this, and also stuff like only having the option to skip the startup sequences in some of the Toaplan games but not the others. I don't see why the new art can't be in all versions, but that's what M2 decided to do for some reason. I think there are also some other things that don't apply to Black Label or DDP III, but I would have to check.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I really hope so. I've grown to prefer BL, and I really like Jun's art.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I think it's super disappointing how BL is implemented in this release. The existing Arika port is rather good and one of the main attractions here is BL, but it's kinda tucked away in the corner. I would've expected that all the main modes and features would support both BL/WL.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I think I've had enough of this shit. It's too much like a puzzle game that requires you to play it strictly and only in one specific way. The chaining as a scoring system is shit since it's incredibly restrictive. It wouldn't be so bad if the combo held for longer than a gnat's dick but ofc they had to tune that to the 0.01% of players.

Should have been a 4 button game. I don't want to hyper I want to fucking bomb asshat. Get that shit off my screen.

The combo scoring combined with needing to be on a strict route from stage 3 onwards is bad even for a cave game. You have no freedom to do anything other than speedkill all the shit that will box you in, while having to flirt with the popcorn as you try to edge yourself and hold onto your combo, which results in a bad case of blue-balls. Did you fail to kill something in time and remain on schedule? better bomb then to reset things, oh wait.....

I'm not sure why it's so well revered. I suspect that there may be a lot of nostalgia goggles for it since maybe it got a lot of people into shmups. I feel it's a perfectly fine if not incredibly average outing.
serge85

Post by serge85 »

You don't like it. ok.

I'm practicing level 5, omg this is really hard, but I'm also really having fun! I think I'm near a 1cc clear in black label (loop 1 of course) :shock:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 pmI think I've had enough of this shit. It's too much like a puzzle game that requires you to play it strictly and only in one specific way.
Good 'ol planky, nice to see some things never change! :lol:
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:31 pm
DrTrouserPlank wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 pmI think I've had enough of this shit. It's too much like a puzzle game that requires you to play it strictly and only in one specific way.
Good 'ol planky, nice to see some things never change! :lol:
When you're right you're right.
qmish

Post by qmish »

ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:25 pm I think it's super disappointing how BL is implemented in this release. The existing Arika port is rather good and one of the main attractions here is BL, but it's kinda tucked away in the corner. I would've expected that all the main modes and features would support both BL/WL.
What's funny, I think I've already seen on YouTube "White Lable Master Race" comments that sounded like "you see, guys! top japanese players always treasured WL much more than that dirty BL rerelease! and thankfully with how much attention it got with M2 remaster, it's a change for better" :P :P :P

(don't take this too seriously, but I really seen something like that; though perhaps it was meant more as WL appreciation instead of potential BL shaming)
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

qmish wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:36 pm
ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:25 pm I think it's super disappointing how BL is implemented in this release. The existing Arika port is rather good and one of the main attractions here is BL, but it's kinda tucked away in the corner. I would've expected that all the main modes and features would support both BL/WL.
What's funny, I think I've already seen on YouTube "White Lable Master Race" comments that sounded like "you see, guys! top japanese players always treasured WL much more than that dirty BL rerelease! and thankfully with how much attention it got with M2 remaster, it's a change for better" :P :P :P

(don't take this too seriously, but I really seen something like that; though perhaps it was meant more as WL appreciation instead of potential BL shaming)
lol, OK :D

I wasn't even trying to comment on the merits of WL vs BL, for me it's simply because we already got a very good port of WL that BL is intrinsically more interesting to me and I would've preferred more focus on it.
EngineerSTG

Post by EngineerSTG »

I’ve been following a few others including iconoclasts 1-1 chaining route but even after a couple days I’m still so inconsistent at the beginning and that first power-up breaking my chain.

Any strategy to get that thing the hell away from me?

B-EX black label btw
nogden

Post by nogden »

[*][/url]
EngineerSTG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:43 pm I’ve been following a few others including iconoclasts 1-1 chaining route but even after a couple days I’m still so inconsistent at the beginning and that first power-up breaking my chain.

Any strategy to get that thing the hell away from me?

B-EX black label btw
I’m having the same issue with that damn power up lol
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Honestly, as rare and expensive as these releases are, they should just have the features on everything.
It doesn't make any sense.

Does M2 have a Twitter? Maybe I could ask. I don't know if they would pay attention to an English message, but it couldn't hurt.
rtw

Post by rtw »

M2 twitter, I seem to remember them posting in English sometimes.

https://twitter.com/m2_game
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I guess since this is all emulation they need to put their hooks and patches separately into each version of the ROM. Like whatever they need for the various challenge and training modes, adding different art and music, hitbox display, gadgets, etc. Seems like they only did the bare minimum for BL/DDP3 (gadget, music, hitbox post patch) and didn't want to do all the work setting up the rest.