M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by Steven »

As everyone knows by now, this got announced. As of right now, no info other than that it will at least be released on PS4 in 2023.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid aphex

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou

Post by kid aphex »

I really love the DP series … all of them
But DOJ has a very special place in my heart.
I listen to the soundtrack almost everyday …

This is huge news to me. After that awful 360 port…
Finally, justice.

If they’re really putting as much effort into it as they did the Deathtiny release (like they said on the livestream) then I am beyond thrilled.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

PS2 Port = Great
Xbox 360 Port = Botched stolen code disaster
PS4 (?) Port = Well, it's M2, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be fantastic. lol
Steven

Post by Steven »

Udderdude wrote: Xbox 360 Port = Botched stolen code disaster
I forgot that they stole the code! Stupid 5pb..
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

They stole the code? I don't understand...were they not licensed to make the game?
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

I guess what happened is that 5pb. stole Arika's code from the PS2 version.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote:I guess what happened is that 5pb. stole Arika's code from the PS2 version.
Oh wow haha. I bet that caused quite the stir :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

Picture an AZN Hamburgler running off with a garbage bag of floppy disks slung over his back, hot-footing it away from Arika HQ :mrgreen:

Then Mihara trips him up and curbstomps him while screaming "SHAMEFUR! SHAMEFURUUU!" before welding the piece of shit into something usable. :cool:

edit: TEH SCENE OF THE CRIME (the code theft, not the curbstomp - murdering bad porters is legal in Japan)
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Hopefully they bring it to Switch too and give it a physical release somewhere sensible - if it's good.enough for Toaplan, it's good enough for Cave
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Hype
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Awesome news, DOJ was one of the first PS2 games I imported on release. Still have and play my copy too! Can't wait for these new features!
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

Honestly this is the best news I could hope for besides a Mushihimesama Futari port! I have never played DOJ simply because I never owned a Japanese PS2 or 360. Tbh, just aesthetically and sonically DOJ hits me in all the right places, even more so than Ketsui (although gameplay remains to be experiences of course). Very beautiful to have the three best shmups of all time (according to lots of people it seems) on one system in their best form soon (Ketsui, BG, DOJ).

What a treat today has been! Glad to have Ubusana updates as well, proving it is in fact under active development.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

M2 already made a really good Futari port, there's a ton of other things I want before them inexplicably doing that again :P
slateman

Post by slateman »

Wondering how complete it'll be. Black label? It shows a super easy mode so this won't just be a quick port. I have high expectations. And it *is* my favorite shmup ever. Like many of you, I imported this back on the PS2 the day it was released and that remains one of my most-cherished titles in my collection. Super excited about this!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Hopefully they bring it to Switch too and give it a physical release somewhere sensible - if it's good.enough for Toaplan, it's good enough for Cave
I didn't sit through the whole video so someone else can feel free to correct me, but I tend to think Switch is not happening or they'd have said so. The livestream chat was full of Japanese players begging for a Switch version, which would surely sell better and generally make their core audience happier.
Haddock wrote:Honestly this is the best news I could hope for besides a Mushihimesama Futari port! I have never played DOJ simply because I never owned a Japanese PS2 or 360.
I'm in the same boat. I've heard tons about it, but never gotten my hands on it. So this was probably at the top of the list of Cave titles I was hoping for next, surprised to see it coming from M2. I had thought they were locked into the Toaplan stuff until doomsday.

This gen we've gotten:

Dangun Feveron (M2, PS4)
ESP.Ra.De. (M2, NSW, PS4)
Progear (Capcom, NSW, PS4, XBX)
Ketsui (M2, PS4)
Dodonpachi Daoujou (M2, PS4)
Deathsmiles (City Connection, NSW, PS4)
ESPGaluda II (Livewire, NSW)
Mushihimesama (Livewire, PS4)
Deathsmiles II (City Connection, NSW, PS4)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (Livewire, NSW)
Akai Katana (City Connection, NSW, PS4)

Which leaves:

Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Guwange
Ibara
ESPGaluda
Pink Sweets
Muchi Muchi pork
Mushihimesama Futari
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Hoping for Guwange, Saidai or Ibara next.
Last edited by Sengoku Strider on Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I'll buy it at a high price
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I'm very pleased with this result considering I have never had the chance to play it before.

It is interesting to see them return to Cave rather than continue their Toaplan series. Perhaps the two Toaplan releases sold less well that the other Shottriggers? I can understand why they might as despite their incredible influence on the genre, they still are rather ancient games that only a very small niche would want to spend £50 on. Also Tatsujin and Outzone did pop up on the Astro City V mini rather recently, which will do me (I know, I know. A far inferior way to play them).
Sorry for those who do love the early Toaplan games, but I for one am happier if they they focus on the Cave and Raizing games.
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

On a more nitpicky note, I REALLY hope they'll use the PS2 covert or some such variant of that because the 360 cover is...horrible. Yes, I'm picky like dat.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Does anyone have any insight as to why Deathtiny was PS4 only?
Curious if the reasoning might apply to this release.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Haddock wrote:On a more nitpicky note, I REALLY hope they'll use the PS2 covert or some such variant of that because the 360 cover is...horrible. Yes, I'm picky like dat.
It looks like they got new art. https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/16 ... 7974276096
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

360 cover art looks like the aftermath of a gang bang. As a local buddy once told me, "that's not cover art, it's a warning". :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

kid aphex wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to why Deathtiny was PS4 only?
All the early ShotTriggers titles were PS4-only. Coming off the Wii U, the Switch didn't look like a serious home for shmups yet, and they were worried about their own high technical standards. ESP.Ra.De., a 1998 Cave 68000 title, is the most demanding game they've done on the Switch for ShotTriggers. Otherwise it was just the 8-bit Aleste games and ancient Toaplan stuff from the mid-1980s.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:Picture an AZN Hamburgler running off with a garbage bag of floppy disks slung over his back, hot-footing it away from Arika HQ :mrgreen:

Then Mihara trips him up and curbstomps him while screaming "SHAMEFUR! SHAMEFURUUU!" before welding the piece of shit into something usable. :cool:

edit: TEH SCENE OF THE CRIME (the code theft, not the curbstomp - murdering bad porters is legal in Japan)
Ah, memories. What a clusterfuck. http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?top ... 6#msg15266

"I'm tired, I want to die. But I can't die."

The patch almost killed poor Mihara. What a trooper. He deserves a medal for putting up with that shit. lol
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Samildanach wrote:It is interesting to see them return to Cave rather than continue their Toaplan series.
I think this is the best of both worlds, they don't have to stick to ONLY Toaplan games until they finish them all. Mix it up, I'd personally prefer a closer to 50/50 split between Toaplan Arcade Garage releases and non-Toaplan Games.
Sengoku Strider wrote:So this was probably at the top of the list of Cave titles I was hoping for next, surprised to see it coming from M2. I had thought they were locked into the Toaplan stuff until doomsday.
I'd much prefer Ibara Kuro (ideally as a package with Ibara), so we can get the only Cave STG that has never seen a console port. But DOJ is certainly a deserving selection too.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Hopefully they bring it to Switch too and give it a physical release somewhere sensible
Seems safe to assume they'll release this physical on day 1 in Japan. They've been consistent about always doing physical ShotTriggers releases ever since they started that practice with Ketsui in 2018 (and followed by Esp.ra.de, Aleste Collection, and the first two Toaplan collections). No reason to think they'd change things now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Udderdude wrote:
BIL wrote:Picture an AZN Hamburgler running off with a garbage bag of floppy disks slung over his back, hot-footing it away from Arika HQ :mrgreen:

Ah, memories. What a clusterfuck. http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?top ... 6#msg15266

"I'm tired, I want to die. But I can't die."

The patch almost killed poor Mihara. What a trooper. He deserves a medal for putting up with that shit. lol
Indeed! :o I was about to say over in the Toaplan thread... Mihara can be abrasive, but at the same time, the guy's a goddamn marine when it comes to his work. How many others would've dived into that shitshow and scruffed it into shape? He may well have saved 360 Ketsu by extension. Making me smile, recalling the air of dread around that one... Doomsday / The Day Of Judgment indeed! Consensus IIRC being a frying pan/fire "it just missed out on PS2 due to Mihara's perfectionism, and now, these utter shitbirds are gonna fuck it all up and shove it out the door anyway." :lol: Was genuinely heartening, when such a long-desired game made it home in fine shape, against considerable odds.

I'd totally forgotten that quote, it's a fantastic one - absolute diehard.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

kid aphex wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to why Deathtiny was PS4 only?
Probably technical limits. M2 actually said Batrider likely would not be possible even on a PS4. The accuracy they strive to achieve requires a crazy amount of resources.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I still don't really understand why they can't do Batrider; it runs on the same hardware as Garegga and Tatsujin Ou, which was one of the first Toaplan games that M2 announced they were doing. Maybe there is some difference between Batrider and the rest that I don't know about, but as far as I know there shouldn't be any reason they can't do PS4 Batrider given that they already announced they are doing Tatsujin Ou on Switch.
guildenstern

Post by guildenstern »

I think this is the source Mr. Creamy is refering to: https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/180830 which was partially translated here: https://www.siliconera.com/m2-discusses ... -and-more/
The thing is that, it implied they have all those games kind of "converted" but not optimized (according to the translated version) so the whole thing is a bit confusing (especially with the way its phrased). So... I guess our hope is someone go into the japanese link to clarify and hopefuly it will come out as "he actually used the word kalukuku which means real hard but not impossible" or something like that. Anyway, I am also hoping for a Mahou and Ketsui switch port one day as I only have rn a switch and xb1 (where I can play Feveron and Garegga). I dont mind digital only too xD.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Heh, I used to play Batrider hell of a lot on Mame back in 2000 or so (my memory may be off by a year or two), anyway that was 20 years ago. I would have thought PS4 has as much processing power or more compared to PC of that time.

But of course, I have no idea how accurate (or inaccurate) its emulation was back then, and how accurate M2 strives to be and what kind of virtual hardware they are running on their emulation.