Review: Arcade Archives Pac-Mania (PS4|5 - Switch)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

Review: Arcade Archives Pac-Mania (PS4|5 - Switch)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Time for another Pac-Review, this time is Arcade Archives: Pac-Mania.

It's the Pac-Man you and your parents knew with a 3D that is new.

At first, the gameplay of Pac-Mania seems to remain unchanged from its original arcade. Well, it clearly returns to its original formula after the weird Super Pac-Man and the flop that was Pac & Pal, and boy, it is indeed good to be back with the old gameplay element of running across a maze eating Pac-Dots, but even in this basic concept, Pac-Mania introduces new features. Starting up with two new Pac-Dots: The pink 7650 Bonus Pac-Dot which causes all the ghosts turn edible for a shorter while, but keeps the bonus on the next regular "Power" Pac-Dot as long as you don't lose a life. The second special Dot is a green one which grants Pac-Man a temporary speed boost so you can get the "Fruit Target" and even pick all the ghosts as long as the regular Power Pac-Dot effect is active. The bonus multiplier now goes like this: 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 7650. However, the major feature is the ability to jump. Yeah, you can now jump and dodge the ghosts trying to catch you. You can also jump over the Power Pac-Dots if you want to save them for a moment of need. Also, the list of ghosts has increased, from the "Quintessential" Ghosts Clyde, Pinky, Sue, Blinky and Inky, the game introduces two new characters: Spunky and Funky. While in Pac-Man's Park they're just another addition to the "Ghost Squad", the new ghosts are going to be the greatest challenge for Pac-Man in Jungly Steps as they will be able to jump simultaneously with Pac-Man, making ghost dodging much more difficult, requiring you to eat a Power Pac-Dot in order to take them down and make progress in the stage.

Like Galaxian, Pac-Mania was heavily, HEAVILY ported to consoles and computers alike with all kinds of results. From the disastrous ZX Spectrum, MSX and Commodore, to arcade accurate ones like the Sharp X68000, PlayStation and Pac-Man Museum ports, being Pac-Man Museum+ the latest one, the game was ONCE AGAIN ported to the PlayStation 4, 5 and Switch as part of Arcade Archives, and as we expected it was packed with enough features to make it stand from the common console ports.

So that's the difference between the Namco and Atari versions.

Being part of Arcade Archives grants us the option to play with both the Original Mode on either Japanese and the International version (A.K.A. Atari Games release) along with the obligatorious Hi-Score and Caravan Modes which I've talked about them since the ACA Neogeo games that I've reviewed. But the most notorious benefit of the Arcade Archives port is the lack of input lags which plagued Pac-Man Museum.
Playing the Japanese Original Mode (Namco version) is easier to get the hang on than the International/Atari one, since the level progression is slower paced and the levels act more like "Worlds", for instance Block Town is two stages long and Pac-Man's Park is like three or so, with their respective alternate palettes. This feature adds even more challenge and fun to the game progression, while the Atari release reduced the number of stages. While the Namco port lacks of a name entry, the Atari version has one, and adds a Stage Select screen where you can pick one world and get a bonus if you can clear it.

Going for the high score, one ghost at a time.

Graphically, Namco really made a great job with this game which was one of the last titles released on their System I hardware (also known as System 87) as the graphics made the leap from simple, 2D flat mazes to a 3D isometric perspective which became common on the Neo-Geo shmup Viewpoint which does what they're supposed to do: Bring a three dimensional perspective to the game, making it a novelty for the time being as it breaks with the vector-traced graphics which (back then) were the ones capable of doing that and at the same time, looking less polygonal like Atari's arcade game I, Robot. The novelty of the 3D-like graphics was also used on the Namco logo which was made on a 3D zoom out-like effect with gradient colors rather than the traditional flat red font. Atari on the other side, exploited this "Three Dimesionality" much further at the point of making the cabinet itself unique as the upper marquee had embossed logo and characters depicted. Seems like Atari Games knew how to draw the attention on the concept of 3D graphics even if those were on their beginnings. The character sprites are the ones who got most of the benefit of the technological advantage as they look three-dimensional enough to make them stand in comparison with the maze. Well, the mazes were also improved with different themes that added more variety to the game at all. The sound engine of the Namco System I brings life and bouncing fun to the world of Pac-Mania as it re-takes the classic Pac-Man tunes and adds silly and funny melodies with a fast and bouncy rhythm that fits with the jumping Pac-Man theme of the game. Something interesting is how the "Wakka-wakka" sound on the press start screen passes from one speaker to the other as if Pac-Man was on the left side and then to the right.

PAC-TRIVIA-MANIA

Now we're using the Atari terminology?

- The 3D Namco logo from the attract mode and cutscenes was re-used on Assault.
- This was the first Pac-Man game released by Atari Games after Namco terminated their partnership with Bally-Midway.
- It is also the fourth Namco arcade game released by Atari Games.
- For a Namco-related Arcade Archives title, the manual describes the Pac-Dots as "Pills" and "Power Pills", which were the names invented by Atari in the 2600 era.
- Ironically, the official Hamster website refers the Pac-Dots with the official Namco name.
- While the game was intended to be the last entry in the arcade series, the "To be continued" at the end of the game hints a sequel which was the 1996 game Pac-Man Arrangement.
- The concept of a 3D Pac-Man maze was later reused on the Pac-Man Championship Edition games.

This was a Pac-tastic game, don't you think?

Overall, it is good to have another Pac-Man title without the need of buying ALL the games that comprise the Pac-Man Museum series, but what's best, without the annoying input lags.
Pick the game and give it a try.

The Lea Scale is very positive with the result of this game.
Last edited by Sturmvogel Prime on Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Bloodreign

Re: Review: Arcade Archives Pac-Mania (PS4|5 - Switch)

Post by Bloodreign »

Thankfully not Pac-Mom to ruin this one. I myself picked up another copy of Namco Museum 4 JP version, hopefully this time more than Pac-Land, and Assault/Assault Plus work. My other copy, Return of Ishtar, Genpei Toumaden, and Ordyne have Now Loading hell, from which the only escape is turning the console off in disgust because the damned disc has a flaw in it, and the games never load. But hey, no Pac-Mom. I can't believe how many times I own this Pac-Mania game. I still remember first seeing it in arcades, thought it was someone else trying to make a Pac-Man game, till I saw the Namco logo on it, for 1987, it looked nice.

NES
Genesis
Namco Museum 5 JP version (Hello Valkyrie!)
Both PS2 Namco Museums
Namco Museum Mega Mix Wii