Yuzo Koshiro is making new MD shmup.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Yuzo Koshiro is making new MD shmup.

Post by hamfighterx »

BrianC wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:49 am
Ms. Tea wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 pm Superdeluxe does more traditional distribution in Japan - I guess LRG adapting to the local expectations? Their edition of DFK for Switch is up on Amazon Japan right now with regular preorder and distribution times rather than LRG's super far in advance preorder/prepay schedules. So I guess if you don't feel like playing the LRG wait time lottery, you can just wait for it to go to Superdeluxe.
Except that Superdeluxe blocks companies from selling their games to the US.
I've had their Daifukkatsu and Espgaluda II pre-ordered with shipping to US for a while now, from Amazon.jp - so that doesn't appear to be true.

Also, it doesn't appear that their games ever release BEFORE the US Limited Run versions - it's just a later Japan region physical retail version. A lot of the additional items in their Collector's Editions are the same as the LRG CEs too. For example, the Daifukkatsu and Espgaluda II chiptune soundtracks look to be the exact same CD as the LRG release (but in a slightly different case).

Their catalog so far includes:
Cuphead (PS4, Switch)
Sol Cresta (PS4, Switch)
Tetris Effect (PS5, PS4, Switch)
Unpacking (Switch)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (Switch)
Espgaluda II (Switch)
Gimmick (PS4, Switch)
Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ms. Tea wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:02 am Really? I didn't realize that. I'm in Canada, and I could preorder their version of DFK from Amazon Japan if I wanted. Do they only block sales to the US?
I think it's mostly on Play-Asia. I remember seeing a couple games of theirs out of stock on amazon.jp when it showed up elsewhere, but most of their current games don't seem to be blocked. Sol Cresta has "Sorry, this item is not available in your territory!" on Play-Asia's website.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

BrianC wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:32 pm
Ms. Tea wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:02 am Really? I didn't realize that. I'm in Canada, and I could preorder their version of DFK from Amazon Japan if I wanted. Do they only block sales to the US?
I think it's mostly on Play-Asia. I remember seeing a couple games of theirs out of stock on amazon.jp when it showed up elsewhere, but most of their current games don't seem to be blocked. Sol Cresta has "Sorry, this item is not available in your territory!" on Play-Asia's website.
Probably part of the deal they made to be able to stock the items. They're only allowed to sell into certain regions while Amazon gets to do it for the rest of globally.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sol Cresta is definitely out of stock on my end on Amazon JP, though. And Cuphead is also showing as "this item does not ship to your selected delivery area" from the item being sold by Amazon JP. Wasn't this even mentioned previously on this forum? I didn't even say it was all games, but there are definitely items from Superdeluxe games that aren't shipping to the US on both Play-Asia and Amazon.jp.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/ ... %2F.202488

Speaking of Yuzo Koshiro, I see he posted about this. One of my favorite songs~
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Screw LRG. I'll wait for the digital release because they'll only give me grief if I buy the cartridge.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Austin

Post by Austin »

This game's looking really freaking good. I can already tell it's going to be a top-tier STG for the platform. It looks a bit like Thunderforce, but it seems to feel way more "arcadey".
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

New video dropped. Incredible stuff! https://x.com/yuzokoshiro/status/172768 ... 77608?s=20
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Most of the backgrounds definitely look nice, but the sprites and enemy patterns seem kinda generic though. Hopefully the game is fun to play.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

SuperDeadite wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:53 pm New video dropped. Incredible stuff! https://x.com/yuzokoshiro/status/172768 ... 77608?s=20
I love how displaying the graphics on a NTSC-CRT is clearly part of the whole aesthetic and not just a nostalgic shader effect.
Also how easy Yuzo finds his way back to this crunchy MD-sound. I really like the remixed sounds of Mega R-Type and the (hopefully still upcoming) Final Fight MD but this is on another level since it's done from scratch.
All three, incredible high quality titles...in 2024...for the Mega Drive. Crazy :!:
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

SuperDeadite wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:53 pm New video dropped. Incredible stuff! https://x.com/yuzokoshiro/status/172768 ... 77608?s=20
Those large-scale boss animations are astounding, more akin to Neo Geo. Fucking fantatsic stuff
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

If you read through the thread, they are targeting a 32mb rom. :)
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

This is seriously impressive stuff for the Megadrive in the year of our Lord 2024.

I'm still hesitating whether to go for the original physical MD release or digital for a newer console, probably both. Day one purchase for sure.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Always buy for MD because it's the MD. Modern consoles suck, but MD is top tier, top 2 consoles of all time, along with the Saturn.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Absolutely, MD will always be first choice as long as it doesn't break the bank. I hope they announce pricing soon
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

The logo of the game is still amazing enough to me to stop and look at it every time. STG's have the best logo design in gaming still.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Looks so rad.