Visco Collection (Switch/PS5/PS4/Xbox/PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Visco Collection (Switch/PS5/PS4/Xbox/PC)

Post by hamfighterx »

Announce trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lDgAJ63Uc&t=2s

Well that's interesting... QUByte Interactive and PixelHeart releasing a compilation of 7 of Visco's Neo Geo games:
Andro Dunos
Bang Bead
Captain Tomaday
FlipShot
Ganryu
Goal! Goal! Goal!
Neo Driftout

That brings the number of Neo Geo games on modern consoles even lower (Visco's catalog was the biggest chunk missing from Hamster's ACA Neo Geo line).
pablumatic

Re: Visco Collection (Switch/PS5/PS4/Xbox/PC)

Post by pablumatic »

I'll grab it eventually, but I did notice something in that trailer that I'll let a Youtube commenter state instead of myself.

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

If we all stay hush about this, maybe they'll put the wrong game in the collection. :lol:

It'll be like one of those famicom bootlegs where some random platformer gets named Super Mario Bros 7 or whatever.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'd rather have Hellfire than any of the rest of these games aside from maybe Andro Dunos, but I already have Andro Dunos on AES, so yeah.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

If they'd included the Vasara games again except this time without 9 frames(!) of lag, I'd be interested. But this list of titles does not spark joy.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Hey, I’m always in favor of Neo Geo games appearing on more platforms. Especially ones like these that have rarely been ported to anything. I prob would have preferred if Hamster had been able to put these on ACA Neo Geo, but better than not gettin them on modern systems IMO.

As for the games… I’m excited to get Ganryu (which I quite enjoy) and Andro Dunos, and I find Neo Driftout kinda fun. Fans of Windjammers might be into Bang Bead and Flipshot. Captain Tomaday is a second rate Twinbee-like. G!G!G! is not very good! good! good!

As for no Vasara here, makes perfect sense since this collection is focused only on Visco’s Neo Geo games.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Agreed, I won't say no to Andro Dunos, despite having some fun with this error in the trailer. I've gone searching for Andro Dunos a few times under ACA NeoGeo, and surprised it was never there. None of the Visco stuff ever made it.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol they didn't even use the superior 1P version of Hellfire. If you're going to advertise the wrong game, at least use the best version of it.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jeneki wrote:None of the Visco stuff ever made it.
Seems to be due to the French company PixelHeart (formerly JoshProd) having acquired the IP for Visco's entire catalog several years back, and thus it not being available to Hamster during the ACA Neo Geo time. Not sure why they didn't go the more obvious route and license these games to Hamster for the series, but that didn't happen.

They did some frankly kinda weird releases, like Dreamcast discs for Andro Dunos, Breakers, Ganryu, and Captain Tomaday. And they have been doing Neo Geo AES cartridge releases of several of the Visco games for years now (I have one of their earliest efforts, Breakers Revenge AES). And not just sticking to re-releasing old games, they've been using the IP to publish quality new releases with the Visco IP: Andro Dunos 2 (developed by Picorinne Soft) is legitimately among the best new STG releases of the past few years, and I appreciate Ganryu 2 as well. And now they seem to be a decent indie publisher - including stuff like physical Switch releases of Astro Port shooters, etc.

Gotta say, good on them for actually doing something with this stuff. It was a bit of a long road for them, I know when they started the AES stuff some of the internet Neo Geo community (who can at times be a bit... obnoxious) responded by screeching that they were bootleg peddlers doing "repro" carts. But they've clearly continued to work to get some well deserved respect for keeping the legacy of these games alive.

I can't knock that kind of effort, so I'm totally down with a Visco Neo Geo compilation just on principle.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Ganryu, Goal! Goal! Goal!, Drift Out, BangBead, Captain Tomaday, Andro Dunos and FlipShot!
Drift Out, Ganryu, Andro Dunos, Bang Bead and Flip Shot all seem worthy of receiving ports. The soccer one just looks like "one of those neo-geo soccer games" and captain tomaday seems like some amusing kusoge.

The fact hamster haven't published ACA ports of these means I'll probably pick up the collection.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Neo Drift Out is probably okay if you like overhead/isometric racing games. I don't, and as a result I don't like that game that much. Andro Dunos is a cool little (and it is little for a Neo Geo game; only 26 megabits or something like that) game.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems it's out.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:49 am If they'd included the Vasara games again except this time without 9 frames(!) of lag, I'd be interested. But this list of titles does not spark joy.
This. Holy christ, those ports were so awful. And that new dogshit vertizontal widescreen game they made is worse than anything else. I like to forget it exists
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Has anyone tried this collection yet?

Wondering about hands on experience; have read a few reviews that state something along the lines of “well emulated” but would like to hear from folks who have it.

Specifically wondering about input lag and how the online vs modes work.

Might wait for a sale but for Andro Dunos plus the rest with online two player modes for $19.99’s not too bad.

Thanks in advance!
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

This is on sale now on the PSN store. Can anyone else confirm that this collection is garbage? I want it for Ganryu.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

mmh...
Spoiler
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:14 am mmh...
Spoiler
I know. Just wanted more specifics on why it's awful.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Pixelheart also made a version of Neo Mr. Do (Punky Circus) with the license stripped out but didn't bother to put it in the collection, though the NeoGeo AES and CD releases aren't coming until 2024.