Deathwish Enforcers

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
xxx1993

Deathwish Enforcers

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/co-op-s ... and-switch

Has anyone ever heard of this game? It's essentially Sunset Riders but inspired by Dirty Harry. In addition to the setting being the 1970s, two of the main characters even resemble Dirty Harry and Paul Kersey from Death Wish (the late Charles Bronson, not the new one by Bruce Willis), hence the title.
drauch

Re: Deathwish Enforcers

Post by drauch »

Very briefly we talked about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45206&p=1493592&hi ... h#p1493592
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This is another game that's on my list.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

I've been playing the Steam release and it is truly an amazing recreation of SS and MW with a 70's adult theme. If you ever loved those games you will love this!

I just met the dev recently and would suggest that anyone considering buying get the Steam version only. I can't go into it for legal reasons but the developer lost out BIG on the console release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tM3XB_74cc
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

They added a James Bond style character now?
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

xxx1993 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:02 am They added a James Bond style character now?
Yes 5th character. The game is literally getting patched this evening as well to remove score farming on bosses as well as adding score wipe on continue. A few other balance changes as well. Patch should be out in a few hours.

This of course is for Steam version only. Console versions will never get any more updates.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Aw man, and I had downloaded it for the PS4 last year.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

-Fish- wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:26 am I've been playing the Steam release and it is truly an amazing recreation of SS and MW with a 70's adult theme. If you ever loved those games you will love this!

I just met the dev recently and would suggest that anyone considering buying get the Steam version only. I can't go into it for legal reasons but the developer lost out BIG on the console release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tM3XB_74cc
One of the devs tweeted last year that LRG funded the game and there’d be no steam release, yet now to have a steam release and it to be the best version makes me wonder how that fell apart… I don’t even know if the physicals finished production so this is a rather sudden shift for them.

Definitely on my wishlist now though. Worth checking out that I don’t have to give money to the company who pulled what they did with Shiren 5 on me (and Doug getting all weird on my twitter around a year afterward) and to buy directly from the dev instead. Dig Mystic Warriors so this'll definitely get my interest
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

-Fish- wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:37 am
xxx1993 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:02 am They added a James Bond style character now?
Yes 5th character. The game is literally getting patched this evening as well to remove score farming on bosses as well as adding score wipe on continue. A few other balance changes as well. Patch should be out in a few hours.

This of course is for Steam version only. Console versions will never get any more updates.
Patch fixing scoring and some balance issues is delayed a bit. Dev is sick. Should be out this weekend though. I'll post again when patch hits Steam.
velo

Post by velo »

xxx1993 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:05 pm Aw man, and I had downloaded it for the PS4 last year.
I got the Switch version and I'm disappointed too. I've dumped on it a bit around here, but I've always been rooting for it and hoping it would get some more patches to smooth out the issues. I feel bad for the dev's troubles, since even without knowing the specifics there are some real horror stories out there. But then again, I feel pretty bad for myself, naively dropping money for a fairly busted game that's not getting fixed. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a Steam sale and double dip someday.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

https://x.com/realMonsterBath/status/17 ... 70023?s=20

Looks like this as close as a public confirmation to the console versions being unpatchable as it can be. I have a really bad feeling about what went down... My guess is maybe it megabombed on the eShop/PS4 or the physicals didn't hit MOQ and thus the game got abandoned by LRG, but considering how these devs refined their last game a bunch to use and listen to feedback, that would be a very shitty thing to do...
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

1.2b patch was released earlier today on Steam fixing some scoring issues and game balance. There will be another patch down the road shortly fixing some missing SFX. Have to wait until the dev is over Covid more than likely though.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

SeafoamGaming wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 am https://x.com/realMonsterBath/status/17 ... 70023?s=20

Looks like this as close as a public confirmation to the console versions being unpatchable as it can be. I have a really bad feeling about what went down... My guess is maybe it megabombed on the eShop/PS4 or the physicals didn't hit MOQ and thus the game got abandoned by LRG, but considering how these devs refined their last game a bunch to use and listen to feedback, that would be a very shitty thing to do...
Actually the game sold a few thousand copies. The dev released it on Steam though to hopefully recuperate some of the development costs. It's not my place to say anything more though.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

That's a damn shame. I do like the game, but with a few fixes and a practice mode/level select to figure out the later stages it could've been really great. I don't see myself double-dipping, though.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I preordered the Switch version from LRG when they had it up, not knowing if it would be any good, but just to support a developer actually recognizing this rare vein of run'n'guns. A Sunset Riders "revival" always has my full support.
I still don't have the game but it was shipped just a couple of weeks ago, so I should probably have it within the next months, given the usual shipping time from LRG.

But honestly, moreso than the situation of the dev not getting any cuts from console sales of the game, I'm just disappointed by how apparently unfinished the game was released, and for a physical release no less. I'm not gonna double dip either, though with me not having a Steam account and never playing games on PC anyway that's already a given. I hope they at least did a cut from the physical sales (what I heard from people who have worked with LRG is that devs actually usually get quite a good deal from them), but if I've already been burned on one sale of the game, I'm not gonna give the dev nor the publisher any more money.
I know releasing games unfinished "because they can always be patched later" is the standard nowadays moreso than the exception, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't want to support a developer offering ongoing patches to improve their game, I want to support a developer releasing a game the way it was meant to be.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Over the past few days there have been several patches for the PC (Steam) special edition. I'm attaching the log file with fixes here. In the coming weeks a true 4:3 mode will be implemented as well as a few more gameplay tweaks. There is a possibility Steam online leaderboards will be intregrated as well.

Current patch notes 1.2b3:

-Fixed bug when playing in Dirty mode with bosses 5 and 6 auto dying at the start of the fight - making boss 6 lock
-Less dogs in level 6b
-Slightly more HP for boss 4
-Less HP for boss 6 and 7
-Boss 5 blocks less and attacks slightly less
-Added score wipe on continue
-Thugs spawning during Boss fights no longer drop coins or give points
-New Controller driver (should fix a lot of issue but you may need to reset them to defaults in the options menu!)
-Sped up getting into the game, logos, intro and high score all let you close them faster as well as the game over screen
-Fixed bug where if you tried to slide left after shooting the enemy behind the falling sign at the end of stage1b you would be stuck sliding left instead of walking over and hitting the pimp
-Menu select SFX added
-Zombie Lady guts explosion SFX added
-Jungle van explosion SFX added
-Vomit sound FX for red zombies
-Added sound FX for player slide
-Enemy Bullets now flash white and blue for better contrast on background
-Ducking on lower ground now works when pressing forward or backward while pressing down.
-Decreased motorcycle stage player engine sound volumes
-Decreased coin/treasure screen time from 7 to 4 seconds (not power-ups)
-Fixed mission complete score tally screen music not playing on Stage 6 boss dying.
-Adjusted melee detection collision box to be lower on Cleo and Dianna (they sometimes swung at enemies that were too high above them)
-Various minor fixes or tweaks for speed etc
-Added animated gloved hand pointer to menus
-Fixed missing barf sound FX on hanging zombies
-Made rails in 3-2(haunted house) when you can jump down more visible but sharp and spikey to show you can't get back up.
-Added tarp to crates in 3-3(haunted house basement/burning house) to make it more visible for where you should jump up.
-Also added a box of dildos in 3-3(I know they're too new looking but I like them ;))
-Added debris around boxes and tarp in 3-3
-Fixed bonus lives not resetting on starting a new game from the main menu
-Fixed credits not showing when you continue
-Put dynamite warning "about to blow" sign behind bullets
-Sped up mid boss in 2-1 (helicopter) accent and decent for a faster fight
-Fixed missing interrogation title screen and updated screen
-Shortened ending of interrogation
-Fixed player bullets to not be blue
-Made player invincible jumping down from an upper platform
-Added experimental 4:3 mode (letterboxed) I'm still doing a proper 4:3 full screen mode.
-Other various tuning bits