Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

handheld mode on switch gets quite a lot of slowdown (framerate dips), especially when playing with the wooden "Kojirou" ship and using lots of bombs, which is a shame. I think it's a bit better in tv mode

That's a bummer, handheld is mostly how I play Switch
It's odd that despite how insanely fast and crazy Swag got, this was never an issue.
cfx

Post by cfx »

mojilove wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:45 am I'm really enjoying it. However, handheld mode on switch gets quite a lot of slowdown (framerate dips), especially when playing with the wooden "Kojirou" ship and using lots of bombs, which is a shame. I think it's a bit better in tv mode. Seems like there is a lot less slowdown in the playstation versions.
Radirgy 2 is a Unity game, as evidenced by the logo at the beginning. I might remember this wrong since I don't really pay much attention to the Switch, but isn't it the case that Unity games tend to run poorly on it?

Steven wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:07 am I'd be quite interested to see a comparison of Radirgy's performance on NAOMI/Dreamcast/PS4/PS5/Switch/whatever else it's on (Wii I think?).

It looks like the price of Dreamcast copies of Radirgy has already increased by a lot, judging by what I have seen online. They used to be about 8000~10000 yen, but the copies I am seeing on Amazon and Surugaya are double that. Trader in Akiba usually has better/non-insane prices on everything, so I might go check to see if they have any copies out of curiosity when I get some time. I'm pretty busy lately, so it might take a while to get some time to go over there. Online prices are almost always inflated anyway; I can find the same stuff cheaper in town.
I can't really answer this in terms of a comparison, but I got Radirgy 2 for PS4 today, and I first played Radirgy for a bit. I am someone who can't see a difference between 30 and 60 fps, but I do notice frame drops and slowdown, and I didn't really see anything in Radirgy here so it appears to run fine to me.

I also played Radrigy 2 for a while, and didn't get too far as I hadn't worked out how everything works yet, but I didn't see any kind of performance issues like mentioned above.

I like both games, but can't say anyting more insightful than that at this time. I will say that for anyone that can't read any Japanese at all, that text in this is far more important than in basically any other shooter I've ever played so that's something anyone considering should keep in mind.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

cfx wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:50 pm
mojilove wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:45 am I'm really enjoying it. However, handheld mode on switch gets quite a lot of slowdown (framerate dips), especially when playing with the wooden "Kojirou" ship and using lots of bombs, which is a shame. I think it's a bit better in tv mode. Seems like there is a lot less slowdown in the playstation versions.
Radirgy 2 is a Unity game, as evidenced by the logo at the beginning. I might remember this wrong since I don't really pay much attention to the Switch, but isn't it the case that Unity games tend to run poorly on it?
I've developed multiple games on Switch in Unity that are much bigger in scope than Radirgy 2 and games not being optimised is on the developer, not the engine.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

So, I ordered just the regular game from Amazon, and this:

shows up

I'm not saying this will happen to you too. But it may...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Such an appropriate picture, you can look at the box and see a reflection of the money you saved. Limited Edition box for the price of the standard, I'm jealous!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Such an appropriate picture, you can look at the box and see a reflection of the money you saved.

This was intentional. Stanley Kubrick ain't got shit on me
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am Yeah, it would be nice if it gets picked up for overseas localization/translation.
So does the current physical version for Swiitch, lack an English language mode ?
jehu

Post by jehu »

AyeYoYoYO wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:16 pm
NeoStrayCat wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am Yeah, it would be nice if it gets picked up for overseas localization/translation.
So does the current physical version for Swiitch, lack an English language mode ?
It does lack an English setting, yeah
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

I made a rough tutorial - just as disorganised as the swamp one, I'm afraid. Hope it can help a little bit.

https://youtu.be/afmKXIyU2ls

I'll cover tadayo items later, but here is someone else's page in JA showing all the shiny circle locations, "round things", and "long things"

https://totoneko.net/radirgy2

And here is a video for all the shiny circles

https://youtu.be/puJRpv-s1tA
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

mojilove wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 am I made a rough tutorial - just as disorganised as the swamp one, I'm afraid. Hope it can help a little bit.

I'll cover tadayo items later, but here is someone else's page in JA showing all the shiny circle locations, "round things", and "long things"

https://totoneko.net/radirgy2

And here is a video for all the shiny circles

https://youtu.be/puJRpv-s1tA
This is hugely appreciated! Waiting now on my PS5 copy :)
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I finally got a minute to open my SE. It has the game (nice of them), a soundtrack CD, a pretty good sized booklet with concept art and crazy collages, and a plastic button about the size of a hockey puck that cycles through a series of voice samples and sound effects.

All neat, but nothing that really made me go 'OMG! This is the coolest shit EVAH!'
So while I don't know if there's any still available, if you're not a 'for reals' collector, I'd say you're not missing much by just getting the game by it's lonesome.

Edit: Man, the game itself is... something else. During my first playthrough it just kept going and going and going, then just... ended. I had swore I saw people talking about bosses, but I didn't see any (I probably didn't trigger them, and the game eventually timed out). They showed up in subsequent playthroughs.

OG Radirgy seems to be a complete do-over and not an emulation, as the graphics look pretty different.

All in all, I played for a hour -- only had the foggiest notice of what was going on -- but I was smiling during that hour and enjoying myself. Moreover, I'm looking forward to playing again. Whatever that's worth.

Edit #2: WILD game. Basically -- like Swag -- if you hold a strict view of what a shooter should and should not be, you'll probably kind of hate it. That said, if you were one of those who wished Radirgy had a weapon power-up system like Karous, you're going to be happy (although it powers up MUCH quicker than Karous). I haven't even been able to see what the powered shield looks like yet, due to still trying to get the hang of the whole left trigger auto-fire deal. The two ships almost make it seem like two different games (so you're getting THREE games in one counting the OG Radirgy port)

But it's all very offbeat, colorful, bubbly, chaotic, and fun. Like I was with Swag, I currently only have an inkling of what's actually happening (I've yet to watch a tutorial), but I'm REALLY enjoying blindly putzing around with it.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I made a rough tutorial - just as disorganised as the swamp one, I'm afraid. Hope it can help a little bit.

Okay, this is REALLY helpful (I didn't even know there was a red shot, and I did like five playthroughs with that ship...)

That said, there's one point I'm not clear on. Do you have to select an order ahead of time in order to complete it? Or can you just select the set and whichever order will get checked as it's filled (ala Swag)? I watched that part like three times and I don't think you ever really say.

If it's the former... Man, that's going be rough...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:51 pmI finally got a minute to open my SE. It has the game (nice of them), a soundtrack CD, a pretty good sized booklet with concept art and crazy collages, and a plastic button about the size of a hockey puck that cycles through a series of voice samples and sound effects.

All neat, but nothing that really made me go 'OMG! This is the coolest shit EVAH!'
So while I don't know if there's any still available, if you're not a 'for reals' collector, I'd say you're not missing much by just getting the game by it's lonesome.
Seconding these impressions, and I'll add that I was a bit disappointed with the soundtrack CD (which is the reason I went for the SE in the first place). It's only 5 tracks. They're good, but not very many of them.

While it's silly and wasteful plastic, I do appreciate that the noise maker button thing has volume settings - power switch has 3 positions: off, on (low volume), on (high volume). It's hanging out on my shelf of other STG goodies.

I have yet to spend a lot of time with the game after receiving mine a couple days ago. I have some caution because I sort of hate Swag, but I do like original Radilgy so I'm happy to get this new port of it.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:44 pm
Okay, this is REALLY helpful (I didn't even know there was a red shot, and I did like five playthroughs with that ship...)

That said, there's one point I'm not clear on. Do you have to select an order ahead of time in order to complete it? Or can you just select the set and whichever order will get checked as it's filled (ala Swag)? I watched that part like three times and I don't think you ever really say.

If it's the former... Man, that's going be rough...
Glad it helped!

Regarding orders, there are tons of "passive" orders that work like Swag (destroy enemy/boss XYZ however many times, destroy them with shot/sword/specific sword attacks, collect each item X000 times, etc.), but there are also a few orders that you need to select in advance before starting (the tutorials, specific enemy destruction orders that have their own custom stages, and the "riddle orders"). These latter ones aren't all that hard, except for three of the "riddle orders" that are memo and execution heavy (the shiny circles, round things, and long things in the video that I mentioned above)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I do appreciate that the noise maker button thing has volume settings - power switch has 3 positions: off, on (low volume), on (high volume).
Like the red laser, I didn't even notice this...
I have yet to spend a lot of time with the game after receiving mine a couple days ago. I have some caution because I sort of hate Swag, but I do like original Radilgy
As I mentioned in the other thread, while there is a bit of Swagness (I made that word up), it's also like they squished Radirgy, Karous, and Illvelo together (with added dash of Chaos Field's risk/reward I didn't know existed until I watched mojilove's tutorial). As I also said in that thread, boring it ain't.
Regarding orders, there are tons of "passive" orders that work like Swag (destroy enemy/boss XYZ however many times, destroy them with shot/sword/specific sword attacks, collect each item X000 times, etc.), but there are also a few orders that you need to select in advance before starting (the tutorials, specific enemy destruction orders that have their own custom stages, and the "riddle orders").
Grrrr... (well, half "grrrrr...") Yeah, attempting to select and fill a specific order without knowing what I'm being ordered to do, will be a process to say the least. When my Japanese friend called Swamp "almost perversely import-unfriendly" he was probably referring to things like that.

But otherwise, the tutorial proved VERY helpful. There was the aforementioned red lasers, the fact you could sit in the fire ring and be invincible, that you could turn the star of david ring off and double the multiplier (I thought 32x was max which I found odd), and the infect/sword chain reaction thing off the top of my head. OH! something I didn't see mentioned in the tutorial, you can whack the icons with your sword to change them ala Karous/Swag but I have no idea how to do it with the grey ship (or if it's even possible)

EDIT

Also this
I'll add that I was a bit disappointed with the soundtrack CD (which is the reason I went for the SE in the first place). It's only 5 tracks.
Is indeed pretty lame. While I understand Beep probably wants to do a deeeluxe OST at a later date, if you're only going to make it five tracks, why use a format that holds the most information possible?? Why not do a 7"? Or even a fexi-disc which are cheap as hell to produce?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

re the soundtrack CD, IMO it's always worth checking the contents before you buy. It wasn't advertised as a soundtrack CD to begin with; it was always marketed as a remix CD. Their other remix CDs have always been short collections of exclusive remixes that haven't shown up elsewhere. Radirgy 2's is actually pretty long by those standards - Illvelo Swamp had only two tracks, so I was pleasantly surprised when this one was EP length. Some good remixes too.

I'm really liking the game so far. Took me a bit to get into the flow, but now that I'm used to it I'm really liking how it plays. I've mostly been using Murasame, the twin-stick ship; tagging entire groups of popcorn enemies and then taking them out with a single sword swipe feels really satisfying.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Wading through all the shitty Japanese to English translations with my iPhone camera feels aesthetically cohesive with all the other esoteric shit the game asks you to do, so it doesn't bother me much. Might bother you, though.
Thank Christ I remembered this (although I had to download about 14 separate google apps to make it possible on Android), as trying to blindly progress through the orders was making me CRAZY (some of which were obvious, but I COULD NOT figure out the "sit inside you star of david circle". it seemed like the number was slowly increasing by complete random, eventually timing out)
Their other remix CDs have always been short collections of exclusive remixes that haven't shown up elsewhere. Radirgy 2's is actually pretty long by those standards - Illvelo Swamp had only two tracks
Didn't Chaos Field come with a two track CD, or is my memory inventing that?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I’m hesitant to order this. The first Radirgy is one of my favorite shmups, but I thought Noa was decidedly subpar and I couldn’t get into Swag at all. Which of those is 2 most similar to?
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

I'm having fun but the whole presentation is chaotic.

This is basically a caravan shooter with checkpoint objectives right? How does a time limit work? I'm trying to look up more info, like how Murasame works this game is kinda nutty.

The first radirgy is on the cart as the second option from the looks of things.

I feel like there's so much going on, I don't understand what the chatter means most of the time lol.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

This is basically a caravan shooter with checkpoint objectives right? How does a time limit work?
There's special objective stages (tutorial, and I guess enemy bounty) located under the third menu option (under ship select). And for instance, I was playing the tutorial one, but I had no idea what the objectives were (as they were in a language I'm unable to read). Anyway, after about eight minutes the game ended as I was failing to do what the game was asking.

In the regular, non-objective stages, you play until you die (or you've completed the run)
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Is this getting a UK release?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Is this getting a UK release?
Yeah, Dispatch is doing it
Spoiler
I kid... Nothing for anywhere outside of Japan has been announced
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I've been noticing a name in the many of the leaderboard top 10s (including the #1 slot in upvotes with 122!!!) that's 5 or 6 kanji then a "MOJ"

someone we know?
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Yes - I still don't really get how scoring works though!
Also I haven't been able to do much at all with the second ship, either
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Also I haven't been able to do much at all with the second ship, either.
Nor can I.
My highest score on that ship is like a quarter of my best score with the twin stick, and I feel like I'm missing something (perhaps with the red laser? I feel like there's some reason they want you to make sure you know of it's existence in the tutorial, yet the only time I use it is when I'm out out fire rings)
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:30 pm I feel like I'm missing something (perhaps with the red laser? I feel like there's some reason they want you to make sure you know of it's existence in the tutorial, yet the only time I use it is when I'm out out fire rings)
The trick with that ship (in theory - I think I am still missing something myself, esp when looking at the top of the leaderboards for that ship) is to try to use the fire bomb sparingly and get as many enemies as possible with each bomb, as you get a higher multiplier with a larger bomb stock. The red shot is useful for erasing bullets that can't be erased with the regular shot, but I'm not sure what other benefits it might have.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The trick with that ship (in theory - I think I am still missing something myself, esp when looking at the top of the leaderboards for that ship) is to try to use the fire bomb sparingly and get as many enemies as possible with each bomb, as you get a higher multiplier with a larger bomb stock
Okay, I sort of had that theory too. But was having trouble proving it because everything is going so fast

Edit: Waitaminute, you're in the top 5 with that ship! You're doing something right...

As an aside: While I know this is sacrilege to say around here, but I sorta wished they would have went the Swag route and ditched boss battles. If for no other reason, that it seems like every time I FINALLY get the multiplier to 32x, a goddamn "ALERT" starts flashing on the screen.

Edit (I thought I wrote this before, but I guess I didn't): It either speaks to the quality of Radirgy 2 or to poor sales altogether, but I was SHOCKED to see only like two "ALL"s atop the Radirgy 1 leaderboard. I just assumed the entire top twenty would consist of nothing but 1ccs.

So either people are playing 2 so much they sort of forgot about 1, or no one is playing it at all. :|
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

PS5 version of Radirgy 1 keeps crashing to a black screen. I thought it was connectivity related, as I had my console offline, but I rebooted and it keeps happening. Happens upon ending a game (game over countdown finishes) and sometimes even when backing out to the main menu. I haven't tried 2 yet, as I wanted to play them in order.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

PS5 version of Radirgy 1 keeps crashing to a black screen. I thought it was connectivity related, as I had my console offline, but I rebooted and it keeps happening. Happens upon ending a game (game over countdown finishes) and sometimes even when backing out to the main menu.
Sounds like something glitching with the leaderboard.
Might want to let them know (contact's on splash screen, I think it's info at rs34.com.jp)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Oh yeah, anyone who bought this on PS4 or PS5 able to do me a favour? If the in-game manual is a web browser, can you see if you can grab the URL? I'm trying to back up all copies of the manual just in case. I've already got the Switch one. It's here if anyone wants to look at it on their computer instead of in-game.