Toy Review: Lightyear HyperSpeed Series XL-15 (Mattel)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sturmvogel Prime

Toy Review: Lightyear HyperSpeed Series XL-15 (Mattel)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Still more of the ships from Lightyear, which became favorites among shmup fans.
Time to check the HyperSpeed Series XL-15

https://i.imgur.com/QQNNVno.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/r2TNvSX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ueKnWPe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CdYEypZ.jpg

The culmination of the XL series is this model, which is a little bit more "original" than the previous models and is in fact the last Star Command "light ship" in the Wave 1 of the HyperSpeed Series. What is quite interesting here is the ship's frame, since it is more "flat" than the rest. This means that there's not too much raised frame on either top and bottom (think on the intake of some modern day aircraft for instance), making it more aerodynamic and meant for speed unlike the others, this is also noticed on how the engine intake is placed on top, but in a way that doesn't interfere too much with the aerodynamics. Another aspect to mention about the XL-15's design is the forward-swept wings used in this unit, making it the only ship of the group with that feature.
The toy itself is entirely cast in hard plastic, except for the small antenna on behind the wings which are soft rubber "for safety reasons". Despite its design, it suffers the flaw of being unable to stand vertically, which affects the XL-02. It has also the hole on the bottom for the missile launcher which was included with the 2-Pack mentioned in the previous reviews.

Yep, Disney made a copy of this.

While the rest of the ships borrowed designs from Gradius, Raiden V and even Star Soldier, the XL-15 heavily borrows the design of the BETA (Bureau of Extra-Terrestrial Affairs) Interceptor from The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. Just some minor changes on the wings, engine intakes that resembles the CCS (CRAW Control System) of the RVR-02 Vambrace from Thunder Force V and there you go.

Starting the day in blue tones.

While the previous XL models had white or gray pilot seats, the XL-15 makes a radical turn changing it for a blue seat, giving a more uniform look compared with the rest of the airframe.

One more Buzz to add to the Lightyear bunch.

As all the ships from this series, its pilot is (once again) Buzz Lightyear, now wearing the Space Ranger spacesuit which the Toy Story character is based on. These mini figures are pretty much like those from Diaclone or M.A.S.K. and it has the same 4 limb articulation as them, but I think its smaller than the ones mentioned before (especially the Diaclone pilots since they're taller due to the magnets on their feet), But I'm sure Buzz and the other minifigures which came with small vehicles can fit inside the ThunderHawk and Battle Convoy/Optimus Prime just like Trakker and the Diaclone crew did.

XL-15 CURIOSITIES

The HyperSpeed Wave 1 ships.

- A battle damaged redeco with a different Buzz figure was released as part of HyperSpeed Series Wave 2.
- The larger "Blast & Battle" version became a favorite among G.I. Joe fans, especially for those who collect the G.I. Joe Classified figures due to its potential as a Conquest X-30 or a Night Raven throughout customization. Earning the nickname "Greatest Classified Aircraft Not made by Hasbro".

Achievement Unlocked: GALAXY RANGERS' SEAL OF APPROVAL.
Ready to prove it again. No Guts, No Glory.

Aside from being a Disney-Pixar related item, it's Galaxy Ranger nods make it look and feel like an advanced model of the Interceptor that will fit pretty well on a Galaxy Rangers fan.
If there's an expanded universe there, this can perfectly make its way in. Just remove the Star Command emblems with BETA/Galaxy Rangers ones and there you go.

ImageImageImage
You've heard the reviewer.
Galaxy Rangers, go ahead and get one of them.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki