Akai Katana Shin PS4 switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Warp_Rattler

Re: Akai Katana Shin PS4 switch

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Ms. Tea wrote:I just played about an hour on steam deck - Shin and arcade modes. It works perfectly fine, no issues whatsoever. Only weird thing about it is that you have to manually turn fullscreen on in the menu - it boots in "windowed" mode, and the scaling makes it slightly softer.

I haven't played with an arcade stick yet, just the steam deck's builtin controls, but feels perfectly fine to me so far. No lag issues that I can personally feel. And, well, it's Akai Katana and I love this game.
Not quite as standardized (or modern) as the Steam Deck hardware, but this plays pretty nicely under Proton on Linux on my rig that was close to cutting edge maybe 8-9 years ago. Or at least, I didn't notice any choppiness and the controls seemed responsive enough. I haven't spent any time with the arcade original so no idea what sort of lag may be present.

I noticed the sort of soft, fuzzy feel to the menus once I had switched it to fullscreen, too. There was a menu option for smoothing but that only seemed to apply to the game itself.

Now I need to spend some time looking into the actual gameplay systems. There are some strategy guides here and on Cave-STG, but they seem more geared towards people who already understand the basic mechanics.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

anyone else getting the weird sound glitch when bosses do their laser attacks? it happens every time with me where the sound of the lasers produce this strange loud clipping effect. (STEAM PC version)
I've only been playing shin mode on score attack since I sunk all my time into arcade mode on the 360 release.
a creature... half solid half gas
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Screen-tearing is particularly bad for me on PC, which is a shame because the vysnc feels like it adds 4f of lag. (Latency is very low without it.)

Hopefully this is something that can be patched away!
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Is this going to be available in the western PS, Switch and Xbox stores?

Quite a few people are asking the dev with so far little reply. Would be weird as all of their recent shmups have been worldwide.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

For Deathsmiles 1 + 2, there was a two-week lag for it to hit the western Switch eshop. Might be the same thing for all consoles this time.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

In case anyone is interested, the downloadable Japanese PS4 release has full English language support. Sure feels like it is intended for worldwide release, so probably coming to other regions' online storefronts soon.

I was confused about whether it was releasing outside of Japan and bought it last night. My first impressions are that it seems like a pretty solid port. I'm neither an expert on Akai Katana nor someone who is especially sensitive to a little bit of lag, but this isn't like... Cotton S-Tribute terrible lag. Feels in line with City Connection's work on last year's Deathsmiles ports, pretty good.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

Anyone with the Steam version knows if it supports 4:3 like on 360? Want to play Arcade mode at 31 KHz. If not I’d be better off sticking with the 360 one.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

The JP physical release has so many variants. Strange there is no info for a western release yet.
kuze

Post by kuze »

First impression with the Switch port is it’s really solid. I love the new arrange soundtrack and that you can enable it for regular Akai Katana mode. Playing in handheld mode it’s nice and responsive, can’t feel any lag. I’ll be giving this one lots of play time!
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

I've just got back into this on my 360 the back of this thread and the odd thing is that the way the steel/katanas work in Shin only properly clicked for me yesterday :lol: It's complex at first glance but it works really well- Shin is definitley the most fun version of the game for me.
jehu

Post by jehu »

A little trouble in paradise (I'm playing AK on Switch):

I guess there's supposed to be knockback when hit by lasers in the Spirit mode, and it's not implemented in the port. Makes things much easier, so get your clears before it's patched. This, I think, is the biggest issue with the port I've observed.

I also had the game forget my settings, and had to rebind everything. Think my hi-score data was lost, too. I'm not sure the cause of this, but drop a line if this happens to you, too.

I also had Deathsmiles 2 Arcade crash on me after the first boss earlier tonight. Didn't happen at all last year, so maybe my Switch is just locally cursed...
kuze

Post by kuze »

JBueno MD wrote:Anyone with the Steam version knows if it supports 4:3 like on 360? Want to play Arcade mode at 31 KHz. If not I’d be better off sticking with the 360 one.
The Steam version does not support 4:3 unfortunately.

Even if you set your PC to a 4:3 resolution, the game runs in widescreen (even in vanilla Akai Katana) with black bars on top and bottom.

Hopefully this is something they will fix.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

First time playing this, very nice title. Quick question, how does the scoring work ?
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Super Joe wrote:First time playing this, very nice title. Quick question, how does the scoring work ?
Here's the tutorial from the 360 version for Shin/Slash mode-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_fNaGowftM

If you play in novice mode (to get to grips with it) both steel and phantom energy build up quicker in that mode so you can practice generating gold 3 or 4 times per level- it's very satisfying chucking massive swords at the baddies and seeing loads of gold items bloom out of them.

The vanilla version is different (and less fun I think), not quite sure how it works as I only really play Shin mode.
Last edited by sunnshiner on Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

kuze wrote:
JBueno MD wrote:Anyone with the Steam version knows if it supports 4:3 like on 360? Want to play Arcade mode at 31 KHz. If not I’d be better off sticking with the 360 one.
The Steam version does not support 4:3 unfortunately.

Even if you set your PC to a 4:3 resolution, the game runs in widescreen (even in vanilla Akai Katana) with black bars on top and bottom.

Hopefully this is something they will fix.
They said on the Steam forum that they will not add 4:3.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

sunnshiner wrote:
Super Joe wrote:First time playing this, very nice title. Quick question, how does the scoring work ?
Here's the tutorial from the 360 version for Shin/Slash mode-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_fNaGowftM

If you play in novice mode (to get to grips with it) both steel and phantom energy build up quicker in that mode so you can practice generating gold 3 or 4 times per level- it's very satisfying chucking massive swords at the baddies and seeing loads of gold items bloom out of them.

The vanilla version is different (and less fun I think), not quite sure how it works as I only really play Shin mode.
Cheers buddy.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Okay, I give in: why won't the steam deck version save fullscreen being set to "on"?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Downloaded the PSN version the other day, and also ordered the physical Switch version that arrived today. Amazon.jp exclusive version with "A5 character fine graph" is nicer than I expected! Framed & matted art picture that I'll be happy to display in my STG corner, picture of it here: https://imgur.com/a/5BuuT9N
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

hamfighterx wrote:Downloaded the PSN version the other day, and also ordered the physical Switch version that arrived today. Amazon.jp exclusive version with "A5 character fine graph" is nicer than I expected! Framed & matted art picture that I'll be happy to display in my STG corner, picture of it here: https://imgur.com/a/5BuuT9N
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Got this on Steam, I've never played AK before so I don't know how it compares to other ports, but it's a fun game. The game dev is commenting in the discussion board on Steam and answering a few questions about future PC ports. Basically it sounds like anything another company has already done on PS3, Garegga for example, is likely a no-go. But it sounds like they have other things planned
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

MaXXX wrote:But it sounds like they have other things planned
I think this just means, "We have the rights to other 360 versions." Not a bad thing, and I really hope that means we'll see SDOJ, MMP, Pink Sweets and a few of the other 360 Cave sets show up.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Electric Underground just put up a review of the Steam & Switch versions. He said it's basically a straight xerox of the 360 port with one or two options apparently added to the practice mode.

https://youtu.be/9QA4rCieWx4

Input lag:
Spoiler
Steam: 3.5 frames (results alternated between 3 & 4 frames
Switch: 6 frames

He didn't do PS4 because he didn't want to buy the game a 3rd time, but said going by City Connection's usual pattern it should be a frame lower than the Switch version.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

jehu wrote:A little trouble in paradise (I'm playing AK on Switch):

I guess there's supposed to be knockback when hit by lasers in the Spirit mode, and it's not implemented in the port. Makes things much easier, so get your clears before it's patched. This, I think, is the biggest issue with the port I've observed.

I also had the game forget my settings, and had to rebind everything. Think my hi-score data was lost, too. I'm not sure the cause of this, but drop a line if this happens to you, too.

I also had Deathsmiles 2 Arcade crash on me after the first boss earlier tonight. Didn't happen at all last year, so maybe my Switch is just locally cursed...
I had Akai Katana crash on my switch, which has never happened to me before.
But other than that it feels good to me.

It's my first time playing the game so can't compare to any other ports. I can see me putting a lot of time into this, such a fun game.
I double dipped and got the steam version as well but have mostly been playing handheld on switch.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Akai Katana Shin - About the US and EU versions

The physical versions will be released in North America by Limited Run Games. @LimitedRunGames
And in Europe by CRG. @clearrivergames
We are preparing the digital versions for release.
Please wait a little longer.
https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... 1457131520

and clearrivergames say this in the thread, eu retail release
but you will find the game at Amazon and other retailers.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think I'll be picking this up once I get another paycheck and have recovered from the scourge of holiday shopping.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Electric Underground just put up a review of the Steam & Switch versions. He said it's basically a straight xerox of the 360 port with one or two options apparently added to the practice mode.

https://youtu.be/9QA4rCieWx4

Input lag:
Spoiler
Steam: 3.5 frames (results alternated between 3 & 4 frames
Switch: 6 frames

He didn't do PS4 because he didn't want to buy the game a 3rd time, but said going by City Connection's usual pattern it should be a frame lower than the Switch version.
6 frames of lag up from 4? Is it 6 frames of lag on xbox 360 as well? I'll watch his review eventually. If it has the same latency as the xbox 360 version then I'll probably get it. Who knows. I love Akai Katana, but I already have the xbox 360 game. So it's a tough ask to buy it again just for portability. Especially since the xbox 360 port was $20 back when I got my copy.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Sima Tuna wrote: 6 frames of lag up from 4? Is it 6 frames of lag on xbox 360 as well? I'll watch his review eventually. If it has the same latency as the xbox 360 version then I'll probably get it. Who knows. I love Akai Katana, but I already have the xbox 360 game. So it's a tough ask to buy it again just for portability. Especially since the xbox 360 port was $20 back when I got my copy.
The YT video claims the 360 was around 4 frames of lag.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I finally got the shin/slash clear and it took me about a day to adjust to the differences in scoring mechanics before planning a route. it looks like on the PC leaderboards NAT_bacill is scary close to the world record score (is that sinmoon)? the gap between their score and the 2nd place is to the tune of around 6 billion points. meanwhile I'm sitting at just above 500mil lol

I never really notice it or probably just adjust, but I wonder what they think about the input lag since it's such a hot topic
a creature... half solid half gas
Steven

Post by Steven »

How much lag does the PCB have?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Steven wrote:How much lag does the PCB have?
2 frames