Devil May Cry [PS2] + R2VKMF: Polygonal Action Daishingeki

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Wooph

Re: Devil May Cry [PS2] + R2VKMF: Polygonal Action Daishingeki

Post by Wooph »

I just played DMC 1 and 3 back to back, because I never played 1 and I also wanted to reflect on the differences between the first entry and the later ones. 1 is a refreshingly straightforward game that presents its challenge straight up. It's short and sweet, with even the more annoying parts never overstaying their welcome. It's origins as a Resident Evil game gives it a charm and ambience that is entirely missing in later games. It may actually be my favorite DMC game, despite the janky targeting system. It's too bad that it has such a bad final boss.

I haven't played DMC 3 in a really, really long time. I basically played it at launch and that was it. It's not as fun as I remember. Coming straight out of DMC 1 I could feel how this is more of a combo sandbox game, which I was never really into. The game is longer overall and has some seriously tedious combat encounters with some really boring enemies. The mid to late stages of the game can really drag. It does have a much stronger finish than 1 though, with the Vergil fight.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Wooph wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 am
I haven't played DMC 3 in a really, really long time. I basically played it at launch and that was it. It's not as fun as I remember.
Exactly my impression too. I lost patience with the constant need to unlock shit that should be available at default. I was planning to play through the entire game again, but I got bored and dropped it. 5-6 levels before Devil Trigger unlocks... It's the core mechanic of the series.

DMC3 has the same problem as all the Kamiya Platinum games. They are fun games after you've unlocked everything. But imo not usually very fun until that point.
Lander

Post by Lander »

1 is really special; the Itsuno games are mechanically excellent, but they've never recovered the total-package devil hunter feel of that first foray into mallet island.
The enemy codex is my favourite part - the way every baddie has a bunch of interesting behaviours that get written down for reference, but only after you figure out and exploit them.
It adds to the overarching sense that you're dealing with weird unknown shit, which makes for a finer contrast with Dante's cool 'tude. They kind of lost that after he became a walking Crazy Party, likeable as the later incarnations are.

3 also becomes a completely different beast once you smash your way through to Dante Must Die. It's weird in that sense; you get five difficulties of relatively breezy air tourism, and then a massive jump to SSS IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.

Definitely a series where fighting the urge to play a fresh save is in order; I get not wanting to freak out new players with a huge pile of movesets, but the skill ceiling is so high that there's no real need to put an artificial barrier in front of it.
BIL

DINOS NEVER CRY

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'M POPPING A BONER LIKE I'M GYNOUG DICKMAN HIMSELF

I am so here for dinosaurs with giant swords. I didn't realize he was actually working on an action game and not just "haha I'm animating dinosaurs with swords". Amazing time to be alive.
Lander

10000BC HAS COME AND SO HAVE I

Post by Lander »

Ohh, Lugaru and Overgrowth were merely the beginning Image

Diverse pool of dinos too; Cloudosaur, Dante-o-don, Vergilopagus. Though my edgemaster acumen is having trouble placing that trident...
BIL

Re: 10000BC HAS COME AND SO HAVE I

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:28 pmThough my edgemaster acumen is having trouble placing that trident...
Only thing that comes to mind is DS1's Channelers, but I'd have to see an accompanying Compy horde armed with broken swords to be sure. :cool: He could get his dino dance on and make them go apeshit like you're that poor kid at the start of JP3. :shock: