Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by Rastan78 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited will release after the JP one so that if patches are planned, they'll press the patched version. It's unlikely it'll take forever to release, it's only really Turrican that got a horrendous delay (too many bugs, feature creep) and covid-based disruption has improved. This is M2, it's unlikely to need any major post-release work and expect M2 already know if anything needs patching.
Going by history of these Taito collections M2 has done major work post release and brought out essential patches that include things like training mode, new gadgets, additional games etc. Some of this stuff could be more than a year after release. In the event they do promise a major update and it takes a long time to arrive like with Darius Cozmic and G Darius it will be a judgment call whether to release the NA physical version without updates or wait a very long time. Even then there's a good chance of smaller update/s afterwards which happened with G Darius as well.

IIRC with Revelation they opted to go ahead and release without the major update and it took much longer to come out for the western ver. There was also a small bug fix update after the big one that definitely couldn't have been on the western physical release.

So yeah if you're waiting with the assumption that you will get everything on disc there's never a guarantee of that in this day and age. And M2 does have a history of releasing patches very late down the road and not abandoning their games. Not to mention we have the first Taito F3 game ported since Darius Gaiden which released in a terrible state. It took M2 a year to rework the emulation to a good standard. Hopefully that ground work will mean good things for Rayforce, but it goes without saying F3 on Switch was very, very difficult for them.
cfx

Post by cfx »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited will release after the JP one so that if patches are planned, they'll press the patched version. It's unlikely it'll take forever to release, it's only really Turrican that got a horrendous delay (too many bugs, feature creep) and covid-based disruption has improved. This is M2, it's unlikely to need any major post-release work and expect M2 already know if anything needs patching.
That's really not true at all. Clockwork Aquario, Xeno Crisis, Bite the Bullet, and Deathsmiles all took a long time, and I'm sure there were others. A friend ordered Deathsmiles after it was supposedly in stock, and it still took months for them to ship it.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:So we want translated menus but we don't want to give a localised publisher money because the JP release is the "fullest" way to support the devs? If you want it quicker (or easier, given global shipping can be entertaining) that's fine - but if Strictly Limited hadn't picked this up you can bet the menus would've been Japanese only (as per Toaplan and Aleste), so their presence in this isn't without worth.
Personally, I can read Japanese menus just fine and don't care at all about English ones so "we" doesn't include me, no. I get that it's a plus for others though.

And yes, I have the Japanese PS4 version of this on preorder.
CRP

Post by CRP »

cfx wrote:
That's really not true at all. Clockwork Aquario, Xeno Crisis, Bite the Bullet, and Deathsmiles all took a long time, and I'm sure there were others. A friend ordered Deathsmiles after it was supposedly in stock, and it still took months for them to ship it.
Wasent there a pandemic in the world that that delayed few things here and there ?

On https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/pa ... ited-games
its says spring 2023 (updated nov 2022)
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

In my personal experience, Strictly Limited has certainly improved over the past few years. Ordering Darius Cozmic Collection was not a great experience for me, but lately they've been much better about fulfillment. They've also made significant effort in being transparent about shipping dates and status - these days they're experienced enough that their publicly posted dates are pretty accurate. https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/pa ... ited-games
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Won't even bother with SLG this time. I just pre-ordered straight from Play-Asia, which for as much gripes as they get, I have never had a single problem with over the years.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The play testers for Ray'z are:

G.M.C IMO
T^3-CYR-WIZ
R-GRAY 1
VAN-Gluon

I really like this trend of getting ports in the hands of top tier players that M2 and Hamster have going. I know we don't have so many WR level maniacs over in the western community, but I think there are some devs that could really benefit from this approach (cough, Bitwave).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:I really like this trend of getting ports in the hands of top tier players that M2 and Hamster have going.
Same - always an excellent thing to see!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Bitwave didn't even need WR players, with hearing some people who really knew the games and the genre just a bit, their releases would be totally different now.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Also you can get a nice look how it's shaping up here. Gadgets, excerpts of the guide book, Rayforce in Tate and so on. Looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/live/L5RHLI3orIo?feature=share
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

EmperorIng wrote:I wonder if the japanese collector's edition will have english translations in the books/blu rays like the G-Darius collector's set had (at least for the art book).
I couldn't find anything on their website so just assumed they're not doing anything or else they would be talking about it by now. On the artbook on their listing for the two Darius collections they state: "Hardcover Arcadebook (English)" and "Hardcover Artbook (localised in English)" so unless they're planning on updating the website before launch, it's all in Japanese (I guess there's a chance since the books are still "subject to change"). If they end up translating at least the strategy guide, then I'm in, but otherwise, despite Rayforce being my favorite shmup, it's a pretty underwhelming package (other than the cool bonus of R-Gear).
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I haven’t been following this release since it’s announcement, so…
Is there anyone out there who can run down the JP versions that’re being released?

I went to pre-order on Amazon.co.jp and see more versions than I thought were being released.

Is there really a separate release with Vinyl? And one with Vinyl and a little doo-dad?
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

kid aphex wrote:I haven’t been following this release since it’s announcement, so…
Is there anyone out there who can run down the JP versions that’re being released?

I went to pre-order on Amazon.co.jp and see more versions than I thought were being released.

Is there really a separate release with Vinyl? And one with Vinyl and a little doo-dad?
Just go on eBay. One of the sellers goes through the various versions with pics. Note however that R-Gear isn't generally included as for some dumb reason it's an Amazon prime day exclusive.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

There's a list of the different editions and what stores they're at on the website: https://www.taito.co.jp/rayzarcadechronology

It looks like the vinyl edition is available at Amazon and ebten. A smaller special edition, with the soundtrack CDs but without the vinyl, are available at Amazon, BEEP, and the Square Enix e-store. Amazon's exclusive tchotchke is a 3D crystal decoration. BEEP's exclusive is a set of logo stickers. The Square Enix e-store's exclusive is a reproduction of the original Taito G-NET label stickers.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Thank you both :)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Apparently I've since learned that the japanese edition has a dual-language art book, so that sealed the deal for me.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

hope you guys enjoy the art book, and it is dual language again afaik (i translated it 8) )

i'm working on the superplayer-penned strategy guide atm too, but i can't say too much about that since i'm not done yet. it has an excellent level of detail though!
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wow nice to know it's in good hands! So is it safe to assume the strategy guide isn't dual language?
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Rastan78 wrote:Wow nice to know it's in good hands! So is it safe to assume the strategy guide isn't dual language?
I haven't heard whether it will be or not, but based on the visual layout (there's really nice captioned screenshots illustrating all the major scoring routes/boss attacks etc), I think it would be hard to make it dual language without being visually confusing. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise though.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

blackoak wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:Wow nice to know it's in good hands! So is it safe to assume the strategy guide isn't dual language?
I haven't heard whether it will be or not, but based on the visual layout (there's really nice captioned screenshots illustrating all the major scoring routes/boss attacks etc), I think it would be hard to make it dual language without being visually confusing. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise though.
Just so I'm understanding right, SLG has had you translate both books - the art book and the strategy guide?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That makes sense. Even going by the couple pages or so they showed publicly the strategy guide looks maybe too dense for dual language. Either way I'll be looking forward to that one. Not too often that we get that sort of stuff translated.
BIL

Post by BIL »

blackoak wrote:hope you guys enjoy the art book, and it is dual language again afaik (i translated it 8) )
As always, you are the MVP Image
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's great news to hear blackoak! I'm glad they once again opted for a community expert to give me my Ray Goodz. :wink:
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Bar81 wrote:Just so I'm understanding right, SLG has had you translate both books - the art book and the strategy guide?
I'm not privy to all the production details, but... it seems like "art book" is playasia's term? I translated the manual, which does have multiple interviews+art in it, so perhaps that is what it's referring to.
Rastan78 wrote:Either way I'll be looking forward to that one. Not too often that we get that sort of stuff translated.
Yeah, I sincerely think it would help more people discover the fun and strategy of scoring if we had more guides, because so much of the original knowledge was locked up in game center cliques (and now forums and obscure wikis, but the visual presentation makes all the difference imo). I understand why it doesn't happen though--strategy guides are a beast to translate, much harder than interviews. The simple feature of Japanese not distinguishing between plural and singular (enemy? enemies? laser? lasers?) means that I have to constantly refer back to the gameplay footage... just very labor-intensive. I think it'll be worth the wait though!
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

blackoak wrote:
Bar81 wrote: I'm not privy to all the production details, but... it seems like "art book" is playasia's term? I translated the manual, which does have multiple interviews+art in it, so perhaps that is what it's referring to.
There are three items - the Material Collection (art book), the Strategy Guide and the game manual. I know the manual will be in English and you've confirmed that the Material Collection is translated. But the one I really care about is the Strategy Guide which is what I was asking about. No worries, thanks for responding.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

The childish ruminations of an old man:

I hope that Taito might even be thinking of reviving this franchise in a manner similar to the Darius franchise. Online "chronicles" modes exploring the raise of Con-Human and the unfolding of the Earth-Secilia war could be viable options; my understanding is that the "Chronicles" mode in Darius has been economically successful for Taito and sub-contractors.

Dear Taito, how about making a proper market study and see if this can sell?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Steven

Post by Steven »

At this point I'd prefer for Taito to make a proper release of Dariusburst that actually has everything from every version lol

I want to buy the shit out of Dariusburst at home because it's a really cool game and I enjoy playing it at Mikado, but since Taito doesn't seem to want to bother to make a complete version of the game for home use and I don't want to buy a either any or a bunch of incomplete versions of the game to get everything, I have not bought it yet. If Taito was to release a complete version of the game I'd be there immediately, but until then...
cfx

Post by cfx »

Doesn't Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+ contain everything that was ever part of the arcade game? I've never seen the arcade game so maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was the case.

It doesn't have the console-specific Chronicle Saviors mode; I don't consider that a loss but maybe someone else does. Does anyone like that mode? The less-wide screen format compromises the game far too much in my view, much more than old console versions of Darius or Darius II being a single screen did. Plus, Freedom. :!:
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I like 16:9 chronicle mode

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

cfx wrote:Doesn't Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+ contain everything that was ever part of the arcade game? I've never seen the arcade game so maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was the case.

It doesn't have the console-specific Chronicle Saviors mode; I don't consider that a loss but maybe someone else does. Does anyone like that mode? The less-wide screen format compromises the game far too much in my view, much more than old console versions of Darius or Darius II being a single screen did. Plus, Freedom. :!:
Not sure if this is perfectly accurate or not, but I think this explains the frustration:

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

as far as I knew the original PS4/PC releases were complete when they came out, the arcade EX mode and extra CS DLC stuff came out after and could be largely ignored. is that wrong?