Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by BrianC »

Rastan78 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 am
BrianC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:19 amI also heard it's still an unfinished proto. Disappointed that M2 didn't finish it up.
Unfinished doesn't quite cover it. The game was never greenlit to enter development so we're talking about a one level long demo with placeholder sound effects and HUD from Rayforce. I think it totals about 4 mins of gameplay. So to finish it up would almost take full development of a sequel from scratch. I mean that would have been awesome, but quite the tall order.
Thanks for the info. Probably not worth it since Raystorm and Raycrisis were released. There's always Kamui for that 2D Rayforce like game fix too.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is why you don't buy from SLG.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shhh. You'll trigger the SLG defense force who will insist they're so much better and faster at releasing things than in the past, then potentially followed up by a bunch of insane posts about illegal ponzi schemes and crimes against humanity. :mrgreen:

BrianC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:30 am
Rastan78 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 am
BrianC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:19 amI also heard it's still an unfinished proto. Disappointed that M2 didn't finish it up.
Unfinished doesn't quite cover it. The game was never greenlit to enter development so we're talking about a one level long demo with placeholder sound effects and HUD from Rayforce. I think it totals about 4 mins of gameplay. So to finish it up would almost take full development of a sequel from scratch. I mean that would have been awesome, but quite the tall order.
Thanks for the info. Probably not worth it since Raystorm and Raycrisis were released. There's always Kamui for that 2D Rayforce like game fix too.
Here's a video of R-Gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Ou6KqpF6A

I'm someone who thinks Raystorm is a vastly inferior game in practically every way to Rayforce, and while that video makes me sad in that it shows what could have been, at one stage, four minutes, and very unfished with flickering graphics, I don't feel that I missed out at all by not having it to play. I'm glad I got to see it via the video though.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

SeafoamGaming wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:19 am
TransatlanticFoe wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:26 pm The SLG version has indeed been pushed back. Also going back is their communication - the manufacture updates are unchanged but the latest dates are on the item's page in their shop. Poor show to not say anything and no explanation for the delay, given the JP release has been patched up for a while now.

Winter/2024 is the current estimate.
Uh, yikes, yeah you’re right. Even more alarming is I noticed other date changes on their pages and asking a source of mine it appears nothing new has entered manufacturing on the SLG side since April. Not even Puzzle Bobble standards shipped despite the retail versions making it out just fine.
That's wild. Last thing I received from them was Osman back at the start of February, which actually wasn't too long of a wait IIRC. Didn't realize it was so bad with their release dates for basically anything after that. Also makes me a little nervous about the multiple games I have ordered from them (Dezatopia/Mecha Ritz, Eschatos, etc...)
cfx wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:47 pm I'll always buy an Asian or Japanese release instead given the choice.
This, basically. The trouble comes when these games get put up for preorder and you have no way of knowing a Japanese retail release will ever happen. I recently did that with IREM Collection Vol.1 from SLG, and wish I had known it would get a Japan retail version announced.

That's why I bought the Ray'z PS4 Japan retail release on day 1 (back in MARCH)... though I also said f' it and ordered a copy of Ray'z on Switch from SLG. I wouldn't have wanted to wait if that was my only way to play it, but knowing I'd have the game on PS4 and eventually getting an additional copy in portable form on Switch, plus the curiosity of checking out R-Gear (knowing it's a very limited prototype), got me interested.

Part of the blame also goes to Taito, for their insistence on locking R-Gear to a Prime Day special for Japan Amazon Prime members only. Just like they did in prior years with Darius and Space Invaders...
cfx

Post by cfx »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:48 am
cfx wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:47 pm I'll always buy an Asian or Japanese release instead given the choice.
This, basically. The trouble comes when these games get put up for preorder and you have no way of knowing a Japanese retail release will ever happen. I recently did that with IREM Collection Vol.1 from SLG, and wish I had known it would get a Japan retail version announced.

That's why I bought the Ray'z PS4 Japan retail release on day 1 (back in MARCH)... though I also said f' it and ordered a copy of Ray'z on Switch from SLG. I wouldn't have wanted to wait if that was my only way to play it, but knowing I'd have the game on PS4 and eventually getting an additional copy in portable form on Switch, plus the curiosity of checking out R-Gear (knowing it's a very limited prototype), got me interested.

Part of the blame also goes to Taito, for their insistence on locking R-Gear to a Prime Day special for Japan Amazon Prime members only. Just like they did in prior years with Darius and Space Invaders...
While there is a risk in waiting to preorder from SLG in that something may sell out, what I am noticing lately is it's taking quite a while. For example, all versions of IREM Collection Vol.1 are still available. So waiting at least a little while, while also keeping an eye on the SLG stock level thing for whatever version you're interested in, seems to me like it's fairly safe. I know some titles like Ray'z did sell out fairly quickly though.

Preorders for Eschatos went up in May--my preorder shows May 21 but I don't remember how long it was up before I ordered--and all versions of that are still available now, five months later. It also seems like they get the majority of orders right at the beginning, as I remember it was already down somewhere around 50-60% when I preordered, but that regular PS4 version is still at 37% available now.

EDIT: The probably belongs in some general SLG thread but I don't know if there is one. Weird coincidence but I just got an email from them telling me of the delay to Spring 2024 for Eschatos.

The more significant part of the email is they have decided to do what they are calling "speedruns" where they will produce games upfront then sell them once they are ready, without any preorders. Is that really going to be better? With how, as I wrote above, their titles haven't been selling out that quickly maybe it won't be an issue, but I well remember the complaints when LRG originally operated this way, and it was a clickwar where everything sold out in minutes and for many people the site was inaccessible because of all the rush of traffic. The email calls this a trial so I guess they're going to see how it goes.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Yeah the bit about “speedruns” seems to be carried in this update too https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/bl ... ing-update it comes off as pretty passive aggressively lol
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

And so the comms actually come out, I've got one for Ray'z and one for Dariusburst CS.

"For Ray’Z Arcade Chronology we screwed up and underestimated the production time. We were originally hoping to release all editions at the same time. Unfortunately, some of the Collector's Editions items proved to be more complex than we originally anticipated, causing the delay."

Right so I have to wait for the game because you tried to arrange all the bells and whistles at the same time? I don't understand why anyone ever thought that was a good idea... nor why it means we still have to wait.

I think interest in a lot of titles has been pretty low and/or slow, they said a while back that they'd reduce production numbers. Perhaps the "speedrun" thing (which essentially means behave like a normal retail publisher) will result in an end to the "game only" editions being "strictly limited" - sold at retail and open to represses if there is demand?
cfx

Post by cfx »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:16 pm I think interest in a lot of titles has been pretty low and/or slow, they said a while back that they'd reduce production numbers. Perhaps the "speedrun" thing (which essentially means behave like a normal retail publisher) will result in an end to the "game only" editions being "strictly limited" - sold at retail and open to represses if there is demand?
They could do this and eliminate the nonsense with retail ININ-branded versions that are typically gimped compared to the SLG "game only" editions. I think that would eliminate a lot of the complaints and ill will against the company. If it takes a long time to produce some tat-filled version so be it, as long as they don't delay the other editions because of it.

I want one other change from them and then I'll think better of the company--stop screwing with the Japanese versions of games that aren't published by the Japan division of ININ. I guess there's no proof they do this, but things like the Beep release of Cotton Reboot having its English options removed by a day one patch reek of a requirement by ININ/SLG for their licensing. I know there is at least one other case where something similar happened but I cannot remember what game it was; I distinctly remember Jordan of Switch Watch talking about it thorugh. Doing this to try to force everyone to buy your version instead of letting the few that would buy imports otherwise is just petty and contributes to my low opinion of the company.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That RayStorm + RayCrisis-only thing that lacks RayForce shouldn't even exist and whoever thought of it should be ashamed of their very existence. "Let's intentionally make a gutted and inferior version of a collection that you could have had six months ago, and probably for a cheaper price because the yen is super worthless right now." Yeah, that makes sense. I am one of those weird people who likes RayStorm the most, though.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Haha, so limited games distributors have come full circle if I’m reading that right. We’ve gone from a limited stockpile that sells out in minutes (but is available immediately) to preorders with years-long fulfillment times. And now BACK to limited stock that’s available immediately, but sells out in minutes. :lol:
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:05 pm That RayStorm + RayCrisis-only thing that lacks RayForce shouldn't even exist and whoever thought of it should be ashamed of their very existence. "Let's intentionally make a gutted and inferior version of a collection that you could have had six months ago, and probably for a cheaper price because the yen is super worthless right now." Yeah, that makes sense. I am one of those weird people who likes RayStorm the most, though.
I think that's the most egregious example, but it's not the only one they did this way. Seaparating Dariusburst EX+ and G-Darius HD was fine in my opinion as it let you buy only the game you want if you didn't want both* but they also did this with their Wonder Boy collections, where some games are only available in the SLG version if I am not mistaken. Not sure if there are others.

*I only wanted Dariusburst EX+ myself as I don't really like G-Darius, but given my strong preference of Japanese over SLG releases, I still bought Darius Cozmic Revelation from Taito Japan. :D

ExitPlanetDust wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:11 pm Haha, so limited games distributors have come full circle if I’m reading that right. We’ve gone from a limited stockpile that sells out in minutes (but is available immediately) to preorders with years-long fulfillment times. And now BACK to limited stock that’s available immediately, but sells out in minutes. :lol:
You got it right, or at least that's how I'm reading it. The only potential improvement is if SLG keeps to their current production run sizes, perhaps they won't all sell out in minutes so there's actually a chance to get something.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's only the physical they split out between retail and limited editions, you can get the full Wonder Boy set digitally (same goes for Space Invaders and Turrican which also got cheap cut-down retail editions). So the games are still available to all, it's just the physical editions where some get locked behind a premium limited run. There must be a market for those cheap ones, even though the game selections didn't usually make sense (the Space Invaders one is especially batshit crazy - doesn't even have the original game).
cfx

Post by cfx »

Well yeah. Isn't it still a Sony requirement for PS4 and I assume PS5, that any game available physically must also have a digital release?

I should have been clear on that though; I was referring to what you can buy physically, where they are intentionally gimping the ININ versions to force you to buy the SLG if you want everything. Given the reasonable pricing for the SLG "game only" editions, I don't know that this even makes sense, other than maybe appeasing those annoying people who think that buy buying something limited they are entitled to own something that doesn't otherwise exist.

If I remember correctly, with Cotton Reboot they just didn't announce the ININ physical version until some time after the SLG version, which I think is fine.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:37 pm Turrican which also got cheap cut-down retail editions
Turrican is an odd one. The "cut down" retail version has the better games in the collection and the SLG release is split in two with new "score attack" and "director's cut" versions of games as filler.
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

Well SLG are cheeky so and so's because after going well into October and still saying 'Summer Release' for Ray'z, they have now changed it to 'Winter 23/24'!

Now I already know for a fact it will be (supposedly) Q1 24 (I emailed them a few weeks ago), but anyone just checking their site will be hoping to get it for perhaps, Christmas, based on that info. SLG are being very disingenuous if you ask me.
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BydoR9 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:22 am Well SLG are cheeky so and so's because after going well into October and still saying 'Summer Release' for Ray'z, they have now changed it to 'Winter 23/24'!

Now I already know for a fact it will be (supposedly) Q1 24 (I emailed them a few weeks ago), but anyone just checking their site will be hoping to get it for perhaps, Christmas, based on that info. SLG are being very disingenuous if you ask me.
They sent out an email about it too and it must of caused some cancelations because there is now stock AVAILABLE if you still want it on PS4!

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/co ... dition-ps4
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I picked up the Japanese release on disc last week and credit fed my way through RayForce prepatch without any frame rate issues, bugs, or crashing. I know, I realize I’m late to the party. All of the gadgets except for the laser lock-ons are missing. Otherwise it’s good for archival purposes. I actually preferred the brighter color scheme prepatch, however inaccurate that may be.

I need to practice a lot. I think the last time I played Force was when I had a Saturn. Damn it feels good here. The controls are so responsive. Just razor sharp input.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Been working on the optimized pattern for stage 1 Raystorm. It's not worth a ton of points although there a lot of cool techniques to learn. Everything is really tight and difficult to perfect with RG2. You have to do things like pick up lock shot powerups mid chain to extend the chain plus one. Extended "walk the dog" chains (as BIL put it) that are almost pixel perfect. Always manipulate enemy movement etc etc.

But one thing I couldn't understand was why the WR tier superplays burn a bomb at one point during the theoretical max scoring pattern. At first it seemed like it must extend a chain or something which actually doesn't work.

The mystery was killing me so I reached out to WIZ and his response was surprising to me:
t3-cyr-wiz wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:22 am The SP attack at 0:40 has no particular significance, but is a remnant of the popular practice of wasting the SP attack on Stage 1 when I was playing back in 1996.
Lol so it was just about the style points after all? In the middle of the most precise patterns just waste your bomb for the hell of it because it looks cool. Thought that was a nice example of old arcade lore. And it goes to show how studying a superplay in detail can't always tell the whole story.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Goddamn, now that is some authentic Old Lore! :o Great find!

As soon as you mentioned the st1 bomb I went "Huh, yeah that does sound familiar..." the bomb SFX is so distinctive, sounds like a noise a Darius boss would make.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah the SFX has that sort of bestial and mechanical at the same time type of thing. Would have fit right into G Darius.

For context it is kind of tricky to find a good timing to do a just for kicks bomb. Since it lingers on screen so long you can't afford to have it do damage and mess up your chains. Probably only a few places you can fit one in so you need to release the bomb at a certain time and then finish up the chain during the bomb startup. Just a little more finesse required with zero point gain.

And here I thought it would be some sort of l337 skillz rank manipulation setup or something lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Makes me think of Bryan's frame-perfect taunt from Tekken :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Or Dan QCF x2 + taunt button. In SFIV it wastes your super meter and if Dan gets hit during the final animation of it he takes x5 damage.

Seems like a bomb is also wasted going over the Stage 3 waterfall. No execution needed there just let it rip.

I guess in Raystorm you could say wasting the SP gauge would prevent doing it on accident at the wrong time by inadvertently pressing A + B at the same time. Not even an issue during stage 1 high scoring strats tho. You hit A once for like half a second and that's it. Either way I'm glad M2 gives the option to put bomb on C and disable A + B bomb input. Arcade players back in the day definitely used an A + B macro in the arcade version similar to Ikaruga.

Ever get the feeling there is a good bit of Raystorm DNA in Ikaruga? From the A + B laser bombs release to the super tight chain routing. There's a point where robotic chatter during the final boss sounds exactly like the voices Ikaruga has. Even the ship designs are fairly similar. I mean Hideyuki Kato did work on both games after all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn, now you mention it, the RG01 and the Ikaruga definitely have resemblances; that shared artillery-as-plumage aesthetic. :o Even before getting to the virtually identical lockon barrage bomb! I didn't know Kato had worked on both, that totally makes sense.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:10 pmI didn't know Kato had worked on both, that totally makes sense.
End game boss falling into some sort of giant mechanical sarlacc pit/anus. Check
Spoiler
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey :o Yeah, definitely gonna have to revisit Ikaruga with RS and Kato in mind!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:24 pm Blimey :o Yeah, definitely gonna have to revisit Ikaruga with RS and Kato in mind!
Funny you called Ray Storm RS since it can also stand for another game related to Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun (though Kato wasn't involved with that one).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha, true! Never even thought about that. RSG is just one of those lordly acronyms ala DDP (Diamond Dallas who?) or TFIV, I suppose. Or STG, which ofc stands for STrike Gunner. Image

Incidentally, was mucking about with Raystorm and Ikaruga just now, then put on Thunder Dragon 2 and was reminded it's another NO EXTENDS EVER, NAW, U GET NUFFIN affair, predating Taito's game actually. :cool:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

What's really weird is that Ikaruga has been getting people frothy for 22 years now. People born when it came out are graduating college.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Rastan78 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:32 am What's really weird is that Ikaruga has been getting people frothy for 22 years now. People born when it came out are graduating college.
As someone who just started college when it came out, I hate that you reminded me of the actual number of years between then and now.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I came and found this forum because of my then obsession with Dreamcast Ikaruga. Lol. ☠️
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!