Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

While heat transfer stamping's not unheard of, it's usually easier to just laser etch metal. It's actually fairly easy to do, I've worked with them before, they're basically glorified printers where the print head is the laser itself. You basically burn a very small layer of the metal so it exposes the bare metal, removes any protective lacquer, then wipe on an oxidizer to darken it. It's possible to make metal feel like it has deep grooves with laser etching, but depending on the alloy you need to hit it at a really high setting with like 5 or more passes on the laser.

The easiest way to check if it's metal or if it's stamped with rubber/plastic is to scrape your fingernail on it; if it's rubber or plastic stamped on it'll likely come off, whereas the metal won't be marked if it's lasered and oxidized.

I'd assume it'd be cheaper and easier to just laser etch it nowadays as laser machines are pretty affordable for commercial businesses, so my guess is that's what it is.

I remember when I worked at an engraver we did a memorial piece for a client's cat and we had to explain that no we didn't "print" ink onto her urn as we physically had no equipment to do that, it feels flat because it's lasered and doesn't need to be etched deep to darken it (turns out she was comparing it to an urn she got 20 years ago that was done on a rotary cutter that uses a diamond tip tool, gets much deeper engraving but the lettering also looks rougher, less crisp). We had upgraded to laser equipment by then because it's much faster to setup and easier to work with, engraves more cleanly, etc.
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

News just in folks regarding SLG Rayz Arcade Chronology. I contacted them earlier today and... exactly as I predicted, they have said quarter 1, 2024!

Not happy, but I guess I'll wait and see now, not going to cancel as I've waited this long already.
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Thanks for the info!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BydoR9 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:16 pm News just in folks regarding SLG Rayz Arcade Chronology. I contacted them earlier today and... exactly as I predicted, they have said quarter 1, 2024!

Not happy, but I guess I'll wait and see now, not going to cancel as I've waited this long already.
Good lord, it's been so long I forgot I even ordered! Next year it is...
Steven

Post by Steven »

PC version just launched without any warning.
shmuppy-puppy

Post by shmuppy-puppy »

Steven wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:10 pm PC version just launched without any warning.
At 50 Euros
Steven

Post by Steven »

7,480 yen
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yep, Ray'z is listed on Steam with a $49.99 usd listed pricetag. Makes wonder what other shmup titles are worthy of d/l'ing. No Steam user reviews either for Ray'z.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
gradiusscrub69

Post by gradiusscrub69 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:20 pm Yep, Ray'z is listed on Steam with a $49.99 usd listed pricetag. Makes wonder what other shmup titles are worthy of d/l'ing. No Steam user reviews either for Ray'z.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I can't afford it until next month, even then I think I'll wait for a sale..oh the pain :oops:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I'm happy that my "hunch" that the Steam version would launch at the start of the Steam Shmup Fest turned out correct. :)

I picked it up, and from my brief gameplay time, it appears to be a very solid release (comparable to the existing Steam version of Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade, but with even more in-game options, since from what I saw, it seems you can even set the difficulty by stage).

It's really a shame M2 hasn't released their ShotTriggers titles on Steam, considering these recent PC/Steam ports show they are able to deliver their usual quality on the platform.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Yeah, I saw that it launched today, but hooooo boy... $50 is a bit steep at the moment. I'll have to wait for a sale, which sucks because I enjoyed the series back in the day.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You're lucky if it's only $50 USD. Considering how purchasing power works, it's basically the equivalent of $75 USD here.

It unfortunately doesn't let you remap the keyboard, either, so you're stuck with using the awful default mapping or using a console controller. Playing on keyboard was half of the reason that I wanted this, so it's very disappointing.
AimeeSH

Post by AimeeSH »

Steven wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:18 am It unfortunately doesn't let you remap the keyboard
A number of games have this issue, with no way to remap in game.

In saying that check your keyboard software and see if you can remap the keys from there.
Create a new profile for rayz.exe?, and set wasd as movement(arrow keys or dpad) etc.
I used the software which came with my keyboard to give an example:
https://u.cubeupload.com/Anim8/fb1example1.png

Also a quick tip when making a keyboard profile.
I wouldn't recommend using a a mix of gamepad and keyboard buttons as some games don't like it, so its best to use all gamepad buttons or all keyboard buttons. IE don't use a mix of keyboard + xinput/dinput for your controls.

If your keyboard doesn't come with software, you can use 3rd party options such as autohotkey or reWASD, which will work with any keyboard.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

There's now a Steam bundle featuring this compilation, plus DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours and the RayForce DLC for that game.
For those that already own that game and DLC, you can get a 10% discount on the Ray'z Arcade Chronology compilation through this bundle:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3 ... on_Bundle/
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I played a bit more, and I ended up experiencing a weird problem with the ending cutscene of RayForce.

The game played great, no audio/visual problems of any sort, then I reached the ending cutscene, and once the ending track started playing, I was experiencing some audio "skips", that progressively grow throughout the track.
For those that own the Steam version, and played RayForce until the end, did you experience the same problem?

thank you :wink:
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Well, if you own the DariusBurst and Rayforce DLC set, the Ray'z collection is now $35.99 on sale until Oct. 4.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

The Coop wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:13 pm Well, if you own the DariusBurst and Rayforce DLC set, the Ray'z collection is now $35.99 on sale until Oct. 4.
Thanks. I fit that bill and bit the bullet.
Steven

Post by Steven »

They broke the audio in RayStorm. Disappointing. It's not as bad as it was on Switch Hishouzame last year, fortunately.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

A question regarding RayCrisis, which I'm about to "properly" play, as part of this collection. :)

I know the game is supposed to save your stats/unlocks, if you setup a name/password, and it doesn't save anything if you just place empty spaces in all fields.

The game asks for 4 characters. I was under the impression all those characters were for the name, but apparently it's 3 characters for the name, and one for the password.
The only time I played I used my usual initials (JCB), and a space in the last field (the red square, that apparently is the password field).

I was wondering: does it still save things if I use my initials, but leave the 4th field (the password field) blank? Or, do I have to select a password character, in order for the game to save them?
By the way: what does the game actually save?

thank you :wink:

EDIT: To answer myself, it apparently does. :)
Last edited by FunktionJCB on Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Why is SLG so slow?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The SLG version has indeed been pushed back. Also going back is their communication - the manufacture updates are unchanged but the latest dates are on the item's page in their shop. Poor show to not say anything and no explanation for the delay, given the JP release has been patched up for a while now.

Winter/2024 is the current estimate.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Buy imports. Support devs directly and immediately. Get games sooner.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:26 pm Winter/2024 is the current estimate.
I read this and I was like WTF!?!?!?!?

LOL, I read it as Winter 2024, but yeah, it's been pushed to first quarter 2024, so January, February, or March. Bummer.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Ha yeah it's not a Crimzon Clover situation where they've bumped it back a year on the quiet.... not yet at least!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I gave serious consideration to buying this from SLG, but decided to wait for the PC port.

Never believed the PC port would be released first.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
cfx

Post by cfx »

I preordered Eschatos from SLG, but I knew what to expect so I'll get it whenever I get it. If there was a physical Japanese or Asian release I'd have gotten that instead but there isn't so SLG it is.

I survived the 2+ year wait for Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles from First Press Games so I'll be ok with this too, but I'll always buy an Asian or Japanese release instead given the choice. I don't support LRG though so will buy digital if they're the only option for physical.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What's missing from the Digital-only version of Ray'z on the Switch? I may just pick that up to play while I wait for SLG to individually scribe each cart with their mystic formulas.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SavagePencil wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58 pm What's missing from the Digital-only version of Ray'z on the Switch? I may just pick that up to play while I wait for SLG to individually scribe each cart with their mystic formulas.
AFAIK just R-Gear, which isn't even in the standard JP physical. I also heard it's still an unfinished proto. Disappointed that M2 didn't finish it up. Also, avoid the seperate Raycrisis X Raystorm release. Annoying that it even exists.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BrianC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:19 amI also heard it's still an unfinished proto. Disappointed that M2 didn't finish it up.
Unfinished doesn't quite cover it. The game was never greenlit to enter development so we're talking about a one level long demo with placeholder sound effects and HUD from Rayforce. I think it totals about 4 mins of gameplay. So to finish it up would almost take full development of a sequel from scratch. I mean that would have been awesome, but quite the tall order.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:26 pm The SLG version has indeed been pushed back. Also going back is their communication - the manufacture updates are unchanged but the latest dates are on the item's page in their shop. Poor show to not say anything and no explanation for the delay, given the JP release has been patched up for a while now.

Winter/2024 is the current estimate.
Uh, yikes, yeah you’re right. Even more alarming is I noticed other date changes on their pages and asking a source of mine it appears nothing new has entered manufacturing on the SLG side since April. Not even Puzzle Bobble standards shipped despite the retail versions making it out just fine.

I looked around and someone on reddit shared a post compiling a list of the new dates for all of their stuff in general:

Dezatopia: July 28, 2023 -> Spring 2024
Vesper: July 7, 2023 -> Spring 2024
Snow Battle Princess Sayuki: mid-July 2023 -> Spring 2024
Shinobi non Grata: June 23, 2023 -> Spring 2024
Infinite-Beyond the Mind: June 30, 2023 -> Spring 2024
Puzzle Bobble Everybubble: June 2023 -> Winter 2023/24
The Journey Down Trilogy: Summer 2023 -> Summer 2024
Steel Empire Chronicles: Summer 2023 -> Spring 2024
Jet Kave Adventure: Summer 2023 -> Summer 2024
Eschatos: Q4 2023 -> Spring 2024
Jitsu Squad: Winter 2022/2023 -> Winter 2023/2024
Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread: Q3 2023 -> Summer 2024