(emulation) CV1000 games now playable in FB Neo

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sunnshiner

(emulation) CV1000 games now playable in FB Neo

Post by sunnshiner »

Apologies if this has already been done but I searched and couldn't find anything. CV1000 games (Akai Katana, Ibara, SDOJ, Futari etc.) are now playable in the latest FB Neo core in Retroarch and they seem to run ok, at least to a filthy casual like me anyway. I ran them on a pretty lowly i3-6100 with a GT 1030 DDR5 with no problems. I know they ran in MAME already but it's nice to have them all in the same place if you (prefer to) use Retroarch/FB Neo for arcade stuff.
banjoted

Re: (emulation) CV1000 games now playable in FB Neo

Post by banjoted »

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.
heli

Post by heli »

Great news.
I go try in raspberry pi 400 LAKKA.
Need to find out how.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

heli wrote:Great news.
I go try in raspberry pi 400 LAKKA.
Need to find out how.
The Pi400 likely will not be able to play these. Just doesn't have the juice.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

I can get Futari to run with MAME and FBneo but the slowdown is absent and everything online suggests that although you can tweak blitter delay, mess with underclocking and do other stuff, it's still a very arduous task to get it close to the PCB or even 360 ports unfortunately.

I guess if you're really proficient at these games you could just enjoy them as overclocked difficult modes, but yeah, filthy casual here as well.

I do have Futari for 360, but Retroarch has spoiled me so much that having to practice games without save states feels really cumbersome. The fact that I can hotkey a load button on my controller and instantly transport to the beginning of a boss or difficult section is just so convenient. Like the Steam port of Mushihimesama has a practice mode, but only for levels. WTF? I have to go all the way through levels to practice a boss that I keep having trouble with? Bleh. I get that plenty of players better than me have mastered these games by just traditional credit feed practice, but for the sake of time I don't always find that practical.
marus

Post by marus »

blazinglazers69 wrote:Like the Steam port of Mushihimesama has a practice mode, but only for levels. WTF?
It's a bit unintuitive, but you can actually start at the mid-boss and boss in practice mode. When you're selecting what stage you want to practice, if you press the A button it'll cycle between the start of the stage, the mid-boss, and the boss.

Anyways I fired up Espgaluda II really quick and the emulation appears similar to MAME so far as I can tell. You can configure the CPU and blitter just like MAME and get pretty good but not great slowdown accuracy. It's great to have more options but I think we're still a ways off from a PC solution that's both accurate and hassle-free.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

The actual correct CPU % in FBNeo is:

mame Cpu value x 100 ÷ 102.4

For example, in Mushihimesama's (Ultra) case, the correct CPU % is:

41.77 x 100 ÷ 102.4 = 40.8%

I will update the respective topic soon.

I recommend only using the presented values for the specified modes/ships. It won't work well for unlisted modes (ex.Ultra values will not be accurate for Original). It's a wip, more will come.

Overall, the FBNeo emulation is excellent and highly recommended.
The goal is to have a few more elements (not emulated in mame) included in emulation, which will clear up some problems with slowdown in some instances, completely unsolvable with just CPU and Blitter atm.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

el_rika wrote:The goal is to have a few more elements (not emulated in mame) included in emulation, which will clear up some problems with slowdown in some instances, completely unsolvable with just CPU and Blitter atm.
Why not getting those included in Mame first, though, specially when FB's emulation is based on Mame's?
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

el_rika wrote:The actual correct CPU % in FBNeo is:

I recommend only using the presented values for the specified modes/ships. It won't work well for unlisted modes (ex.Ultra values will not be accurate for Original). It's a wip, more will come.

The goal is to have a few more elements (not emulated in mame) included in emulation, which will clear up some problems with slowdown in some instances, completely unsolvable with just CPU and Blitter atm.
This is smashing, thanks. Are you able to help out with what the dipswitches in the FBNeo CV1000 'options' menu in Retroarch do at all please? I did google but couldn't find anything.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

el_rika wrote:The actual correct CPU % in FBNeo is:

Do you have a source for that last part, cause Im assuming they are just going off the mame driver.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

I'm sure it's old news to a lot of you, but Xenia can be a competent substitute for 360 Cave ports. Mark MSX goes into very good detail here if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jui8JT3fX9E

I was just playing some Futari on Original and it felt VERY close to my 360 copy.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

+1 for Xenia, there's loads of good stuff that runs well in it now.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

@Buffi
The dev has this planned for the near future. I've been in daily contact with him, in the effort of optimising and thoroughly ironing out any issues and bugs, this past month.

@ Bassa
The changes would be easily ported between drivers.

@heli
Latest core optimisation, as of yesterday, resulted in a huge speed boost, it might even work pretty well on a pi :wink:
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

It will also run faster than Mame on android where there's no dynarec yet.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Has there been any updates or improvements to the CV1000 games since support began? These games run just fine on my new emulation setup, but I have no frame of reference on the accuracy. Is it good enough to make actual survival runs? Not looking to do any crazy scoring or anything really high level, just want to beng out some 1cc's on these games.