RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ricdeau

Re: RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

Post by Ricdeau »

Man, I had a VPN on in one of my browsers, but it was set for US. Maybe in January I set that for Europe and see if I have more success.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Yeah I think it was over and done with before anyone realized a VPN set to Europe or outside the US would have done any good. I was running one but I didnt even attempt an order.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I sat 10 minutes with one in my cart, but it kept crashing when I'd try to pay. A VPN hadn't even occurred to me. I figured if the site was tanking, it'd be tanking for everyone. I didn't realize a VPN would make any difference. Not sure why half the site crashes, but not the other half.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Just been watching the Analogue Duo videos and it reminded me of somewhat garish RGB colours my RGB modded Duo R puts out. Would the RT4K’s colour correction be able to adjust the colour to more closely match the composite output?

Also got my dispatch notice, should get to me in the UK in Thurs :D
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

As I understand that problem, you can’t fully correct it because the analog RGB output is (unless it’s handled on the RGB adapter) simply missing certain colours, as in some palette entries have been merged, and you can’t recover that. I’m also not sure that the palette inaccuracies are uniform enough to correct with a matrix CSC, though you could probably shift them to look more like the composite output in general.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Ah I didn’t realise it was as severe as that. I’d seen that some shades were much closer together but I didn’t realise some were missing entirely.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was curious if this thing can add scanlines to XBox 360/PS4 etc, without adding any ms of lag? I've seen some vids where it adds a few ms, but
they're using more demanding filters.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:23 am I was curious if this thing can add scanlines to XBox 360/PS4 etc, without adding any ms of lag? I've seen some vids where it adds a few ms, but
they're using more demanding filters.
In framelock mode, it should add about 1.5ms to 2.5ms of lag to any source, which no human can notice. Only DC comics superheroes like Superman and The Flash can.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can go lower, a basic 1080p -> 4K HDMI scale is 0.9ms.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Oh man, as soon as I heard that Americans especially were affected by the server problems I was thinking "hooo boy, we're in for some grade-A entitlement of the Red White and Blue variety!" :lol:
Then I more or less only saw one twitter shitpost and was kinda surprised. I chalked it up to Mike being such a stand-up guy that nobody really could hate on him. But I'm even more surprised to find the "truth-teller" in here and not on Twitter :lol:
Thanks for the awkward second-hand embarrassment laughs and good luck in January.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

SuperSpongo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:46 pm Oh man, as soon as I heard that Americans especially were affected by the server problems I was thinking "hooo boy, we're in for some grade-A entitlement of the Red White and Blue variety!" :lol:
Then I more or less only saw one twitter shitpost and was kinda surprised. I chalked it up to Mike being such a stand-up guy that nobody really could hate on him. But I'm even more surprised to find the "truth-teller" in here and not on Twitter :lol:
Thanks for the awkward second-hand embarrassment laughs and good luck in January.
Despite popular opinion, that kind of sense of entitlement is more of an individual thing than a red, white, and blue thing.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I've gotten mine, not much interesting observations, but things I noticed:

MiSTer PSX direct video HDMI doesn't work. Mike says he knows what it is, so I'm guessing he'll figure out a way to fix it after things have calmed down. Direct video HDMI > VGA adapter works fine. Also I/O board VGA works fine, but then you're limited to lower color depth. 480i passthrough works, which is the first time I've gotten that working out of the MiSTer without massive compromises.

There's no way to set limited vs full range for the HDMI output. Not sure if many 4K TVs don't support full range, but for me with an older TV (that I plan to replace know that I have a 4K scaler) it's a bit annoying.

The tolerances on the USB-C cable included isn't great. I had to really force the cable in and drag it out. This might not be the same for everyone, but something to expect.
dandiego

Post by dandiego »

ZellSF wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:43 pm I've gotten mine, not much interesting observations, but things I noticed:

MiSTer PSX direct video HDMI doesn't work. Mike says he knows what it is, so I'm guessing he'll figure out a way to fix it after things have calmed down. Direct video HDMI > VGA adapter works fine. Also I/O board VGA works fine, but then you're limited to lower color depth. 480i passthrough works, which is the first time I've gotten that working out of the MiSTer without massive compromises.

There's no way to set limited vs full range for the HDMI output. Not sure if many 4K TVs don't support full range, but for me with an older TV (that I plan to replace know that I have a 4K scaler) it's a bit annoying.

The tolerances on the USB-C cable included isn't great. I had to really force the cable in and drag it out. This might not be the same for everyone, but something to expect.
Did you try a different USB-C cable? Wondering if it's the port or the cable (or both) that's possibly slightly out of spec.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Mine arrived today, not had much time to mess with it but some basic impressions:

Compatibility is excellent. I don’t have anything super exotic but a few of my consoles used require sync regen on my gscart (which caused skewing on other systems) but the 4k has just taken everything no issue.

In genlock mode with VRR on, my LG C1 doesn’t drop signal for res changes. They are instant without using triple buffer.

In my light controlled room, my 65” C1 is bright enough for CRT filters and BFI. 50hz BFI is possible but flickering is more noticeable which I expected.

Consumer Trinitron profile hit me right in the feels. It’s incredibly nostalgic for me and matches my (probably rose tinted) memory of playing on my childhood CRT. CRT filters in general are a huge step up from the 5X, particularly at 4k.

Overall it feels very polished. Excited to start messing with HDMI input but tbh I didn’t expect to get it until the new year and time is limited on the run up to the hols.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

dandiego wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:38 pm
ZellSF wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:43 pm I've gotten mine, not much interesting observations, but things I noticed:

Did you try a different USB-C cable? Wondering if it's the port or the cable (or both) that's possibly slightly out of spec.
I tried a Lenovo PC charger, it's a much better fit.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

EnragedWhale wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:03 am Mine arrived today, not had much time to mess with it but some basic impressions:

Compatibility is excellent. I don’t have anything super exotic but a few of my consoles used require sync regen on my gscart (which caused skewing on other systems) but the 4k has just taken everything no issue.

In genlock mode with VRR on, my LG C1 doesn’t drop signal for res changes. They are instant without using triple buffer.

In my light controlled room, my 65” C1 is bright enough for CRT filters and BFI. 50hz BFI is possible but flickering is more noticeable which I expected.

Consumer Trinitron profile hit me right in the feels. It’s incredibly nostalgic for me and matches my (probably rose tinted) memory of playing on my childhood CRT. CRT filters in general are a huge step up from the 5X, particularly at 4k.

Overall it feels very polished. Excited to start messing with HDMI input but tbh I didn’t expect to get it until the new year and time is limited on the run up to the hols.
are you finding the 4k to be an immense step up from 5x so far? (and others who have a 5x and recently upgraded)

thx
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I've only used it for the MiSTer so far and I don't have a 4K TV. It's really nice to be able to use the MiSTer via HDMI and also get decent scaling and deinterlacing. But I suspect the bigger advantages will be when I get a 4K TV, which is next on the list. The deinterlacing options are probably going to be helpful for some PS2 titles, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

Anyway, the PSX MiSTer problem is fixed:
Mike Chi wrote: Version 1.0.2
-Fixed file handler to ignore files/directories that start with '.'
-Added warning when disabling BFI minimum frame rate limit
-Fixed auto-decimation bug with PS1 MiSTer core
--NOTE: Because MiSTer does not send the correct de-repetition (along with crop) meta data, you will need to manually set it in the HDMI receiver menu.
--Usually Input Pixels = 4/Output Pixels = 1 is sufficent unless you need 1:1 PAR modes (i.e. emulating LCD) in which case, you will need to figure out the exact number
Also there seems to be some problem with SD cards. Some are malfunctioning. Probably only affects the first batches, since Mike is aware of the problem.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If anybody has any issues with their SD card, any FAT32 formatted 32GB or smaller SD card (or microSD in an SD adapter) can be used. Copy the contents of the full SD card image to it:

https://consolemods.org/wiki/File:Rt4k_10rc26.zip

You can update the firmware from there as required.
D

Post by D »

Really impressed with this thang. Got it this Friday. Been fiddling with it since yesterday evening.
Is it possible for the rT4k to get 480p from a PS2's RGB Scart cable?
That would be great so I do not have to switch cables on my ps2 or have 2 ps2's set up. One for 480p component and one for 240p/480i RGB scart.

Also I just have a 1080p tv. Seems the rT4k is really set up for 4k sets (obviously, I guess)
Are there specific 1080p profiles or do I load any profiles, then set the output resolution to 1080p and save it or do I save it to another profile?
Sorry for the many questions, lol
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

D wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:46 pm Really impressed with this thang. Got it this Friday. Been fiddling with it since yesterday evening.
That would be great so I do not have to switch cables on my ps2 or have 2 ps2's set up. One for 480p component and one for 240p/480i RGB scart.
The wiki indicates that the RT4K can accept up to 1080p on the SCART input. Not sure if there’s a way to get the PS2 to output that over SCART.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

D wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:46 pm Really impressed with this thang. Got it this Friday. Been fiddling with it since yesterday evening.

Also I just have a 1080p tv. Seems the rT4k is really set up for 4k sets (obviously, I guess)
Are there specific 1080p profiles or do I load any profiles, then set the output resolution to 1080p and save it or do I save it to another profile?
Sorry for the many questions, lol
Should definitely be a way to switch the input to RGsB when the PS2 enters 480p. Just poke around the input menu.

I think you'd load a profile, set output to 1080p, and then save back overtop of it to keep the change. Unless you want to keep the 4K profiles around for a future upgrade.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I wouldn't count on there being 1080p profiles, as the vast majority of 1080p users are going to be on the RT5X instead. And profiles designed for 4K output won't necessarily work for 1080p output, as it can change some of the math and impact of some processing.

If the PS2 is outputting 480p over RGsB, then you can select SCART RGsB in the input menu. However, YPbPr (component) is the better option for PS2 output since it works for 240p/480i/480p without any modification or active cabling required. I think the only scenario where SCART makes sense for PS2 is if you're getting into the really esoteric custom resolutions like 960i or whatnot.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:54 pm If the PS2 is outputting 480p over RGsB, then you can select SCART RGsB in the input menu. However, YPbPr (component) is the better option for PS2 output since it works for 240p/480i/480p without any modification or active cabling required.
I don't think you would need any modification or active cabling? If the 4K supports both RGsB and RGBS over SCART you just switch source between RGBS and RGsB as needed. That's how it works on the OSSC.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I mean to get the same signal type for any resolution. Otherwise you're stuck manually changing inputs depending on the resolution, without any practical benefit. If you use decent quality component cables, you'll get the same quality, and the same sync type for all resolutions.
D

Post by D »

Thanks guys! I will try all of those options.
I'm still enjoying Outrun2 and Outrun Coast 2 Coast om the xbox. I just can't get over how beautiful that game looks. Just amazing, the colors, the lighting effects and the sun glare effects. It's just so extremely pretty. Paired with the encredible music. I think it's the best looking game on the xbox. Not the most impressive or anything like that, just the prettiest.
dojima

Post by dojima »

Are there any images anywhere that show a direct capture lossless screengrab of something with the various CRT filters in use? I've found lots of lossless screencaps without filters, a few compressed direct video captures with filters, but every image I can find with CRT filters is off-screen, for some reason. Thanks in advance.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

1080p profiles seem like a useful additional feature for the roadmap, because the RT4K offers high frame rate outputs and BFI at 1080p.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There's no need for an additional feature, they're already possible, it's just that the community members making profiles aren't focusing on them. Anybody who wants to make their own 1080p profiles can do so right now. Output resolution is stored in the profile (this is also how you can get your RT4K to always boot to a certain output resolution, by changing the default profile).
D

Post by D »

dojima wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:41 am Are there any images anywhere that show a direct capture lossless screengrab of something with the various CRT filters in use? I've found lots of lossless screencaps without filters, a few compressed direct video captures with filters, but every image I can find with CRT filters is off-screen, for some reason. Thanks in advance.
Not exactly what you were asking for, but surely worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJitwYUhDVI&t=1503s
RetroTink 4K CRT Filters Showcase - Make Your Gen 5 Games Shine With A Proper CRT Look!
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

My unit arrived yesterday and I have spent over a day messing around with it.

Unfortunately it seems the SD card it came with is faulty since no device or computer I have access to is able to write to it. It is not due to the lock button either, that is set right.

At first I could write to it fine, but then suddenly writing stopped working. Alas the only other SD card I have at hand wont work in it, so it is stuck with the shipped firmware and I cannot save any new profiles to it.

Has anyone else had similar problems?