RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dojima

Re: RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

Post by dojima »

Pretty amusing watching someone have a mental breakdown in real time.

Good luck to all those who missed out (except the aforementioned) on getting one in the next batch.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it was the US load balancing that failed. So US customers missed out a bit. Which isn't ideal since it would be better for Europeans to miss out and wait for it to arrive in local resellers with less extreme shipping costs.

Still, regardless of the method Mike would have done this it would have the same result. Most of the people who missed out would be upset regardless.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Do we know how many units were in the first batch?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Somewhere between 1900 and 2000.
Wariolicious

Post by Wariolicious »

ZellSF wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:18 am Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it was the US load balancing that failed. So US customers missed out a bit. Which isn't ideal since it would be better for Europeans to miss out and wait for it to arrive in local resellers with less extreme shipping costs.

Still, regardless of the method Mike would have done this it would have the same result. Most of the people who missed out would be upset regardless.
Well no, because that would mean Asia would be left out. (I managed to get one from Japan)
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:27 am To be fair, that was because EVGA only allocated an extremely small proportion of their stock to their own webstore. My spot in the 3090 queue on EVGA's website took nearly two years, long after the cards (including EVGAs) were generally available at retailers.
I don't recall the OSSC mailing list being particularly great either.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The obvious solution would be to open non-refundable full price pre-orders for the exact number in the next batch, then after that, another round of non-refundable full price pre-orders to guage how many to produce in the third batch. To me, this would be very beneficial to guage how many units to produce.

Mike doesnt want to do that though, and its his prerogative.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

List of companies that “Shit the Bed”

Nike

Tesla

The Mario Movie

Apple products

PS5

Xbox

Nintendo

Beanie Babies

The relaunch of the Mongolian Sauce at McDonalds after the Rick and Morty episode

Anything remotely desirable at launch

Lets all play a game of fantasy based in hypothetical scenarios after the fact, where we risk more of Mikes money on a bigger initial investment of stock, or make him account for and chase down a wish list of potential buyers..

TFOH!!
Copyright 1987
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Any scalpers yet?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

It's so weird coming in here and reading everyone had trouble (US buyer here, in response to the US being the main problem).

I looked down at 2:12, went "Oh man, I bet I missed it", ran inside to the computer and leisurely checked out without a hiccup. I even had to type in all my info since my browser didn't want to recognize his address fields.

Haven't bought one of his products prior as they didn't seem like they solved anything for me that the OSSC couldn't. So here's hoping this'll be worth it!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

tongshadow wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:59 pm Any scalpers yet?
Somebody sold one for $1400 USD on eBay. Pretty risky move considering they don't have it in-hand.

A bunch of people tried to scalp them on eBay before pre-orders even went live, the whole "GUARANTEED IN HAND" thing, but eBay shut down all those orders for being obvious violations of the terms of service.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:23 pm
tongshadow wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:59 pm Any scalpers yet?
Somebody sold one for $1400 USD on eBay. Pretty risky move considering they don't have it in-hand.

A bunch of people tried to scalp them on eBay before pre-orders even went live, the whole "GUARANTEED IN HAND" thing, but eBay shut down all those orders for being obvious violations of the terms of service.
eBay lets you sell pre-order items as long as you're within 40 days of the release date and clearly state it. Lying with "In Hand" will absolutely get you bopped though.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/list ... cy?id=4252
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

eBay doesn't require you be within 40 days of release date, it requires that you can guarantee the item will ship within 40 days, and no auction created before the RT4K sales went live could guarantee that they'd be able to get one, so all auctions were in violation.
Cyo

Post by Cyo »

orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:29 am
Cyo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:02 am So first the price pissed people off and now people are mad that that Mike couldnt keep up demand.

This logic is silly.
I never complained about the price, so there's zero contradiction. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Nice try, though.
Wasnt addressing you tbh.
Gara

Post by Gara »

I guess I got lucky with my own order. A couple refreshes to make my cart appear and I had a confirmation email at 2:03.
Josh128 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:18 pm The obvious solution would be to open non-refundable full price pre-orders for the exact number in the next batch, then after that, another round of non-refundable full price pre-orders to guage how many to produce in the third batch. To me, this would be very beneficial to guage how many units to produce.

What payment method is non-refundable? Cash? Paypal F&F? Bitcoin? His sales numbers are way past doing shady stuff like that. It's bonkers to think an option like that could ever be on the table and he is just deciding not to do it.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

It's funny how all the same people that do clown things like downscaling 1080p to 240p are also the ones that make excuses for the way it went down. Gotta love the way the image cuts across the scanlines. Ha.

Don't know what it means. Just a trait of that kind of user, I guess. :-)
We apologise for the inconvenience
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:41 pm Gotta love the way the image cuts across the scanlines. Ha.

Don't know what it means. Just a trait of that kind of user, I guess. :-)
Gotta love the way you slept on the matter and are still as butthurt today as yesterday. It warms my heart a lil bit.

Let people do whatever they want with their devices and money? Is that such a tough one?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I let people do what they want. I even helped them dial it in on the Corio2.

So, you're sorely mistaken. :-)

Doesn't mean it's a good idea or it looks good, though...
We apologise for the inconvenience
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Which settings are stored on a per-profile basis vs. as a system setting? I’d like to enable BFI when outputting to my 1440p tate monitor but turn it off for my yoko TV. Is BFI something that can be stored on a per-profile basis?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Gara wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:46 pm I guess I got lucky with my own order. A couple refreshes to make my cart appear and I had a confirmation email at 2:03.
Josh128 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:18 pm The obvious solution would be to open non-refundable full price pre-orders for the exact number in the next batch, then after that, another round of non-refundable full price pre-orders to guage how many to produce in the third batch. To me, this would be very beneficial to guage how many units to produce.

What payment method is non-refundable? Cash? Paypal F&F? Bitcoin? His sales numbers are way past doing shady stuff like that. It's bonkers to think an option like that could ever be on the table and he is just deciding not to do it.
Non-refundable as in once ordered, it cant be cancelled. With the exception that if he cant fill the order for some reason, you obviously get refunded. I dont know man, people are whining and crying so much, if they want it that bad they could deal with it. Problem is without such, Mike could get 1500 orders and put in a run to cover them, then 500 decide to cancel and he has way to many and has to reduce price to move them-- now, you might not think thats realistic, but yes, the market for these things is definitely finite. I dont know what the number is, but once you hit it, sales will drop dramatically-- just like the 5X. And now that many have decided to sell their 5X to get a 4K, Im sure Mike's production runs are extremely small if he's doing them at all.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:30 pm Which settings are stored on a per-profile basis vs. as a system setting? I’d like to enable BFI when outputting to my 1440p tate monitor but turn it off for my yoko TV. Is BFI something that can be stored on a per-profile basis?
All settings are stored in the profiles, including the active input.
broken

Post by broken »

For any of you guys that were lucky enough to grab a RetroTINK 4k, I’m offering a matching vertical stand that also has convenient remote storage built in. I did a similar one for the 5X. And yes it’s very stable and supports it well. Useful for setups were space is at a premium.

I’m offering it through my Retro Frog Direct store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1616574816 ... nager_grid

Have a 3d printer? I’ve released it to download and print at home: https://www.printables.com/model/669812 ... ical-stand
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:59 pm
SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:30 pm Which settings are stored on a per-profile basis vs. as a system setting? I’d like to enable BFI when outputting to my 1440p tate monitor but turn it off for my yoko TV. Is BFI something that can be stored on a per-profile basis?
Is it possible to do game system specific profiles that cover all the common permutations? Can I do a generic “Genesis” profile and it’s smart enough to adapt 320 and 256 pixel wide modes?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

SavagePencil wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:47 am
Is it possible to do game system specific profiles that cover all the common permutations? Can I do a generic “Genesis” profile and it’s smart enough to adapt 320 and 256 pixel wide modes?
Genesis is supported by the new automatic sampling rate feature: https://consolemods.org/wiki/AV:RetroTI ... _Detection
broken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:31 amHave a 3d printer? I’ve released it to download and print at home: https://www.printables.com/model/669812 ... ical-stand
Thanks for making the design public Todd! I was iffy on which orientation to go with but I can just have a friend print it to try it out.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

bobrocks95 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:00 am

Genesis is supported by the new automatic sampling rate feature: https://consolemods.org/wiki/AV:RetroTI ... _Detection
Whoa dang. It mentions reducing possible resolutions to increase speed. How long are we talking before a lock-on? A second? Ten?

And what does it look like while it’s scanning, just a little blurry?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

SavagePencil wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:32 am
bobrocks95 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:00 am

Whoa dang. It mentions reducing possible resolutions to increase speed. How long are we talking before a lock-on? A second? Ten?

And what does it look like while it’s scanning, just a little blurry?
Not sure that suggestion is necessary since the initial video Mike showed off had at least 3 resolutions enabled, and switches seemed to take at most like 1/10th of a second, probably less. Maybe having all of them on gets slower, but it looked faster already than I'd ever need it. https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1 ... 2287395298
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If memory serves, there are some edge cases where you may want to disable resolutions you know are not used or only rarely used in order to avoid misdetections. However, I believe that the profiles included on the SD cards already make sensible choices in this regard. It's also very hard to tell between 320 and 640, or 256 and 512, or other doubling pairs, and the RT4K may err on the side of the higher resolution, since that still produces essentially optimal sampling, but you can disable the higher resolution mode if you want.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Optimal sampling doesn't even matter when using CRT/LCD filters, right?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

CRT filters? No, and in fact you usually need to make things really soft horizontally to get a good CRT simulation (especially if you want a smooth transition in beam width simulation), so you want to use generic sampling and softer horizontal interpolation. LCD filters? It depends on your goal, if you're trying to align the simulated subpixels, you'll need optimal sampling.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Man,the US side of it must have gotten it real bad huh?

I had a alarm 10 minutes prior to opening, because I was out having a good time with too much red wine and cider, piss drunk. Then we had to bail and get into a taxi all of a sudden, and I did not get on my phone until 2 minutes after the floodgates opened, but ordering one was fast and smooth for me at least. Done on the minute!

When I woke up the next morning I noticed a lot of noise online regarding slow sites and ordering problems lol.

Not long until the next batch is ready for the rest of you folks! God speed!