SNK is now almost entirely owned by Saudi prince

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

SNK is now almost entirely owned by Saudi prince

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Probably means game over for SNK fan service. Guy had a journalist killed too. Crazy stuff.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/5/23011 ... foundation
Blinge

Re: SNK is now almost entirely owned by Saudi prince

Post by Blinge »

No fanservice? probably still will be.
Those guys party all they want behind closed doors
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I don't foresee anything meaningfully changing. As shitty as having a journalist murdered is, it's not like this guy's worse than the Chinese state that majority owned them before.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I'm sure this guy is going to drastically want some game changes when his F-tier KoF char is bombing online. Be careful who you win against. Log out IMMEDIATELY if you come across 54ud1_Pr1nc3_420
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

SF V had plenty of Saudi foundation money behind it, and that's got giant boobs hanging out all over the place. The only really notable influence was Rashid always being a top-tier character, and being very front & centre in the story mode. But it's not like they made Ryu convert to Islam & change all his win quotes to lines from the hadith.

This is an investment by a development fund that has this guy's name tied to it. That's it. People are acting like this dude is going to roll up to the studio, start throwing burqas on everything and assassinate anyone who thinks Blue Mary should be allowed to drive.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Jamal Khashoggi was the mildest critic of a state you could imagine. His very last column was about the necessity of the free press for the Arab world. Right now Turkey has handed over the prosecution of the 26 murder suspects to the Saudis where it will surely disappear into the memory hole. I was baffled that the Crown Prince would apparently commit such a brazen error, so I'm not trusting his good sense going forward.

I have mixed feelings about all this, but I'm not apathetic either. Saudi Arabia has long been staring down the potential end of its economy and the Crown Prince has been leading the effort to try and diversify the nation out of oil and crack down on corruption (which incidentally also helped him aggregate power). This sale benefits him directly - nice of him not to bother trying to hide it with a shell company. If he is hands-off on the company it will just be a professional courtesy, but there is nothing preventing his interference either, either in his temperament or the setup of the organization. He has control over this foundation and likely also has some expectations about SNK's output going forward. One can say "they weren't going to make any political games, anyway," if it makes you feel better - seems unlikely that SNK's future plan will be heavy on 1v1 fighters, though. I'm not worried about fanservice, I'm worried about reputation laundering. Not giving money to SNK has been my default for a long time (for no particular reason) but I'll be trying to watch this closely.

Doing business with guys like this always seems to end badly.
trap15 wrote:it's not like this guy's worse than the Chinese state that majority owned them before.
Having the Chinese state indirectly celebrate the 35th anniversary of Contra was an event I will cherish forever.