XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

This update fixed none of my problems. The VL_H and VL_V can still only be set to 248 so B1 mode is still useless :(

EDIT: Still good job informing us of the new firmwares Akumajo :)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Hey, I'm new here and wondering something about XRGB-3.

With the XRGB-3, can I play Sega Saturn games using the RGB SCART cable without any lag? My TV only has Component, and not RGB (which Saturn was designed for)...but I want XRGB-3 to see if I can plug in the RGB cable with it, and then have Component on the other end to use for my TV. Will this work? I'm using a 20", 4:3 LCD TV.

Thanks.

(Edit: the response time of the TV is 8ms, so lag shouldn't be noticeable there.)
Last edited by Vincent on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

This depends on the lag your TV produces on the VGA input. It's definitely faster than using other inputs of your TV, but it's no guarantee that it's lagfree.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Okay then. I've been looking at transcoder boxes that convert RGB to Component...but I haven't found any that are good for NTSC TVs with classic systems. I hope somebody can confirm if this XRBG-3 is a good converter instead.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I used one of these once to convert RGBs to component:

http://avconnection.dk/?PGr=768&ML=427

It doesn't convert to progressive scan but the result was very good and i never noticed any loss in picture quality. I used this for Saturn in both 50hz and 60hz so there shouldn't be any problems there.

The unit is quite expensive though. I'm not sure where you live, but it should give you some kind of idea what to look for.

EDIT: It doesn't have any sound input/output so you need an adaptor with sound out before the RGB to Component box.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Konsolkongen: I'm guessing you're from Europe. Apparently the RGB-to-Component converters have a problem with NTSC TVs. That's why I'm interested in XRGB-3. Read the last post on this page, http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=10

"Well, I finally got the JS Technology RGB to YUV converter only to find out that it's "NTSC compatibility" is severely limited. Only the NES RGB was processing correctly. Genesis, N64, and the others were just garbage. I do NOT recommend this converter for use in the US, despite guarantees of NTSC RGB signal compatibility. You can't imagine the look on my face when this happened :shock: Speechless, really Anyway, from this happening, it appears each console that's RGB enabled is outputting RGB in it's own way. I suppose there was never a "standard" created and used back in the day. I'm thankful the company I bought it from is going to let me return it. I'm still baffled by the RGB signal differences that are so great amongst the consoles. The converter was just not flexible, very disappointing for how "high-quality" the device was supposed to be."

That guy's referring to a different transcoder, but I'd be surprised if the one you recommended me is better.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but I'd be surprised if the one you recommended me is better.
It IS. The JS Technology converters have massive problems with NTSC and low-res 240/288p signals. The CYP recommended above works fine with all those. I've used a CYP to feed a XRGB through it's component ports and it was ok throughout.

The major questions remains though. With using a RGB to component converter on a LCD TV you'd still use the TV's internal deinterlacer which a) looks plain ugly and b) introduces a lag of at least 2-frames (and up (unlikely) 7 frames). Using a XRGB definitely solves problem a) and LIKELY solves problem b).

You can test point b) easily with a PC connected to your LCD TV and check out if the delay is for you or not....
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I'm using a Sharp Aquos but it doesn't have a VGA input. I can only use Component...although I can try testing with my PS3 on component cables.

Edit: I used to play Nintendo Wii with Component and I didn't notice any lag there, so I guess it'll be fine. Right?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

In your earlier post you mentioned that you wanted to use the XRGB-3 with component cables to your tv? Doesn't your tv have a DVI or HDMI input?
I'm not sure if component out is possible on the XRGB-3.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Sorry I'm so lost. Are these the only video outputs for XRGB-3?
» Analog RGB
» Digital RGB (DVI-D)

Since my TV doesn't have VGA or DVI-D inputs, will I need an additional transcoder in order to display on Component?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can go from DVI-D to HDMI if you have that.

TVs without a PC connection usually have serious lagging problems since they're not built for lag-free input. You might want to look into another TV or monitor. 22 or 24" PC monitors are very cheap nowadays and they might fit your needs much better than your current TV.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Looks like there is a 15% off right now. Don't know if they will ship worldwide but if you can get a friend to pick one up for you now might be a good time.

http://micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3.htm
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Konsolkongen wrote:Looks like there is a 15% off right now. Don't know if they will ship worldwide but if you can get a friend to pick one up for you now might be a good time.

http://micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3.htm

Anyone know if they ship world wide?
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

Game Hollywood in Akihabara is selling the XRGB-3 new for 30.000 yen...
zap

Post by zap »

I might be getting one of these. Quick question though: Japanese RGB (scart) and European is not the same I've heard. Does this mean I have to make sure all my cables are meant for Japan use? Any quick solutions? What do you guys use?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I use a Y-Scart cable with two inputs. One input is wired for japanese Scart layouts and the other one is wired for european inputs.
zap

Post by zap »

Sounds nice. Homebuilt or bought? And the single end is a Japanese scart going into the XRGB? Since it's a Japanese product I assume the box will only expect Japanese input.

Also, is there a risk using the wrong cables? Would it damage the box or my consoles or screen?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's selfmade.
Also, is there a risk using the wrong cables? Would it damage the box or my consoles or screen?
yes, plugging an Euro Scart cable into the XRGB will (best case) blow the input or (worst case) blow the machine. There are voltages between 5 and 12V running in the Euro Scart cables and the XRGB-3 has no protection against it.
zap

Post by zap »

Thanks for the fast replies. Building something like that shouldn't be too hard, but I guess I have to find a way to check whether my cords are European or Japanese... Would a volt meter do? What pins (#) would I have to check?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Just open them up and see which pins are actually used. Crosscheck with the european and japanase pinout at gamesx.com or elsewhere and you should be fine...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Or you could do something like this:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... 1236986588

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... 1236986616

Quite easy actually and now my XRGB-3 will accept EU scart cables directly. I did that modification as i wanted to be sure that one of my friends or myself when drunk, wouldn't forget the EU->JAP converter cable and blow the scart socket :)
zap

Post by zap »

Well that sure seem easier than having to mod all the cables. If all my cords are European, maybe I'll go ahead with that one. Will have to check first.

Should get my order done soon, because XRGB seems alot better than my current HD Box Pro. :o
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I should have my notes about it somewhere so i could make a quick guide for you if you like?
zap

Post by zap »

Konsolkongen wrote:I should have my notes about it somewhere so i could make a quick guide for you if you like?
Would be much appreciated!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I have found my notes but they are very confusing even to me :) So i will have to check with the the actual soldering on the XRGB-3 before i'll post this to you. Would hate to see you break yours because of me :)

I'll have it ready sometime next week.

If you are used to soldering this is quite easy actually. What you will need besides soldering iron and wires are some hot glue and a cutter of some sort to cut the pins from the RGB socket inside the XRGB-3.

EDIT: Use something like the one in the middle here, i have no idea what its called in english:

http://www.pickabead.com/typo3temp/pics/34dc50d283.jpg
zap

Post by zap »

Yeah I have all that stuff :)
No need to hurry though, as I won't be able to start on anything before April (I'm in the middle of moving). And I'm not sure I wanna mod the unit yet, as it might be hard to sell (or the opposite, who knows) whenever I don't need it anymore.
zap

Post by zap »

Hmm.. I checked that gamesx.com site and opened my PSX/PS2 scart lead. But I can't tell what type it is. I took a picture of it, can someone tell (and how do you tell the difference)?

RGB

Post by RGB »

This is a european scart. You can tell this by the placement of capacitors in the plug - they're connected where the r g b lines are.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There might be scart cables without capacitors. Easiest way to tell are the sound lines on the right of the upper row. On japanese Scart layouts most pins are on the lower row and the complete right side of the upper one is unused....
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Hi Fudoh, just a question about the XRGB: if you have "old-gen" systems like me (let's say from the NEC PCE to the PS2, including Neo-Geo), is the XRGB-2 Plus sufficient ? Or is it better to buy the XRGB-3 ?