Bloodborne LTTP: Yharnam Fukkatsu ~ Dream HOONT Never Ends

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Bloodborne LTTP: Yharnam Fukkatsu ~ Dream HOONT Never En

Post by Blinge »

Sima they’re the same tired old arguments rolled out again with bad evidence.
You zoom in on one aspect and try to judge whole games by it.
Maybe you’re onto something with DeS. What did you mean specifically?

Actually you know what, i think with stage design in DeS my view has changed..
I’m thinking 5-2 or 1-4. I think i’ve had tunnel vision just focusing on bosses and combat to compare dks1 and DeS. But replaying DeS recently with a no-roll build sure changed my mind.

Oh fuck this is BB thread
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

If any of you spoil the other games ITT I'll show up outside your houses wagging my arse up and down like Kozmo does when he goes SSJ3 and yelling that I'm your HOMO BF (`w´メ) so your ACTUAL BF leaves you!

Actual Footage NWS (`w´メ)
Spoiler
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Blinge wrote:
Actually you know what, i think with stage design in DeS my view has changed..
I’m thinking 5-2 or 1-4. I think i’ve had tunnel vision just focusing on bosses and combat to compare dks1 and DeS. But replaying DeS recently with a no-roll build sure changed my mind.
Yeah, I'm referring to all aspects of difficulty, including stages.
Spoiler
Most failure states in the swamp will kill you instantly or so close to instantly it doesn't matter. You get hit and knocked off a cliff, or you fall off a cliff, or you get hit with toxin while you're in combat and the grass to heal it are somewhat rare, etc.

In Latria, again you fuck up, you die. The cthulhu jailers grabbing you sets you up for an unblockable (shockwave) on wakeup if they feel like doing it. It can be a full health combo. If you aren't paying attention, you'll walk into a pit and die instantly. 3-1 and 3-2 both have tons of spots where you're standing many stories up with no rails. You won't be healing up from that. 3-1 is a very popular invasion spot too. Every time I met a Scraping Spear was in 3-1.

4-2 has that long staircase with enemies on it. Fuck up there and you die instantly. 4-1 has gold skeletons who can hit for almost all your lifebar, if not the entire thing. The black samurai with red eyes can kill in 1-2 hits or (more likely) one combo.

I guess those are about all that come to mind. World 1 is pretty mild and traditional souls challenge. Dragons kill you instantly but they're a stage hazard heavily telegraphed. World 2 has some instant-kill falls but they're not on the critical path. Worlds 3, 4 and 5 are the big ones where you don't get a chance to recover in specific fuck-up cases. Farming moongrass is still pretty broken for normal play but you can't save yourself like you can in DS2 by preemptively popping lifegems for ridiculous regen tanking.
Spoilered for BIL.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ty, saves me on plane tickets (^w´ )(`w´メ)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Don't care about multiplayer. never gonna factor that in. play offline.
Spoiler
Mind Flayers
don't have an unblockable setup, or it's not inescapable - you can literally roll away on wakeup. and as brutal as it is to get caught by them, they're actually very easy to dispatch. they have super armour but no poise.
as for unblockable? man a decent shield with mag resist can survive that AoE i swear.
Not that it matters. why would you block when you can roll.

unless you're dumb like me and doing a no-roll playthru but i still didn't struggle with them

Spoiler
death pits in Latria? bruh just look where you're going it's not that hard :lol:
Dark1 has its fair share of "you made 1 mistake now you die" moments.
I'd rate them about the same difficulty now, all considered.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Holy shit. Few more hours in and my initial feelings have only been confirmed - Reiterpallasch OWNS.

This thing absolutely fucking bullies hunters/human type enemies. "Oh hello there Keeper of the Old Lords, have you heard of our lord and savior - stun lock?"

r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 l1 (gunshot) l2 (follow up gunshot). Or r1 r1 r1 r1 l2 - 90%+ of the time you get a stagger. Shadows? I made the last SOY back dash across the arena into a corner. He had no where to go, and all he could do was die.

Holds its own against beasts too. The aforementioned Ludwig fight took me a few tries (wanted to solo it) as my timing on his 2nd phase swings was WAY off after the hiatus. But hunters - The two hunters before the Research Hall? Gilbert in the nightmare? The three guys in the jail? All wrecked. Granted some of this comes with previous knowledge of the game, but it's still very noticeable.

Just reached the Lecture Hall on one end, Research Hall on another, and everyone's favorite pup the WOTOL in the defiled chalice. I want to root chalice so I can farm some better physical gems.

Anyone else love this thing?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's just.. not satisfying to land hits with :|
BIL

Post by BIL »

>mention BB in unrelated thread
>browse fuckoff massive screencaps folder not looked at since last November
>evening squandered >:3

Something I never considered, re Hoonter's Nightmare.

Leal servant, Echo Fiend par excellence, I think that bitch Kos is making fun of me, send a message, ty. PS: mad echoes to be had boyee

Bloodborne DLC The Auld Hoonters ~or~ MOON-SCENTED HOONTER vs SUN-SCENTED BOI Image

Stevens

Re: Bloodborne LTTP: Yharnam Fukkatsu ~ Dream HOONT Never Ends

Post by Stevens »

After several months sans TV the Mrs. and I have re upped and I have had the chance to return to Yharnam before the actual event.

I left off at the start of NG+ with a skill/bloodtinge build. Admittedly I used the cum chalice because my hard drive fried. I still had to farm those fucking blood gems though. Been running the Reiterpallasch and Chikage. Never used the Chikage before, I see why people like it so much.

Ran through Gas, Amy, Witch, in about an hour of casual roaming. Started the dlc, ran it pretty quick too. Died a few times to Ludwig, but ran the church hunter gank on my 2nd try and didn't die again until the well. The well only took me like five tries without the bone blade. I don't even like the Rakuyo, I just wanted it.

Downed the Orphan and then went o say hi to toasty Larry. He was not pleased to see me at all. Got him on my 2nd try. Although I know as the cycles go up his HP is going to balloon.

Anyway back to the main game. After all those hours in Lies and going back to BB I am happy to say BB doesn't feel like it's missing anything at all. It is still an A+ experience as is Lies which I feel is a testament to how good they both are.

BB will always have the edge - multiplayer and way more content - but man I am telling you watch out for what those cats at Neowiz do next.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Lander

This town's finished!

Post by Lander »

Bloodborne thread bump. That does it, time to dig the PS4 Peasant out from the bottom of consoles-i-don't-use tower and rejoin the hunt after a protracted absence.

Christ, last time I played was with a hokey steam controller setup, running through a laggy PS4-to-PC postprocessing chain, in a house I moved out of three or so years ago. And the active save is an absolute shitpost of a character that some friends put together while trying out the game - a veritable time capsule :)

Anyway, started up fresh as Dickens; Waste of Skin. (That's the pick for maximum control over leveling, right?) Got humiliated by the first werewolf, and went with Saw Cleaver / Blunderbuss. A characteristically vanilla pick, but the first time I've actually mained the cleaver. Very nice; I'd forgotten how sweet the broad move palette is in this game - so many different strings and options to intuit your way through in the moment.

And, rather surprisingly, the intimidating feeling I remember from my first play is no longer founded. Somehow I figured BB would be a special case difficulty-wise, being that it's one of the most aggressive in the series, but it seems the extra years of domain knowledge fold back in neatly; level dump into health, upgrade one weapon, immaculate spacing, easy breezy. The framerate doesn't bug me nearly as much as expected either; acclimatized to it as quickly as the gameplay.

I put off Cleric Beast to hoover up all the goodies, and ended up wandering into Father G early - didn't know you could even do that! Noped out since I remembered him being a pain and wanted to spend out first, and ended up cakewalking the fight on return :lol:

I also got owned by my own memory; oh yes, there's a secret right at the end of Prizewinning Pig Alley.
Spoiler: the secret is death by gravity. Game gave the credit to the pig after I'd killed it too, cheeky bugger. It's good to be back :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:41 pmAnyway back to the main game. After all those hours in Lies and going back to BB I am happy to say BB doesn't feel like it's missing anything at all. It is still an A+ experience as is Lies which I feel is a testament to how good they both are.

BB will always have the edge - multiplayer and way more content - but man I am telling you watch out for what those cats at Neowiz do next.
Excellent to hear your Post P Perspective! After your thread, I was playing Lies in 2024 for certain; even moreso, now. Lies and Sekiro, those two are dead certs. Hard to decide, tbh. Probably SexyBro, because I've been like the doggy in the window, waiting for that black necro-feudal mood. Image

Here in 2023 though, imma get DSIII done before the fookin thing gets spoiled. I'm a sensitive sort when it comes to me auld ~Lordran Senki~ Image Commencing total comms blackout aka Operation Cheeto Dust Image
Lander wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:06 amAnd, rather surprisingly, the intimidating feeling I remember from my first play is no longer founded. Somehow I figured BB would be a special case difficulty-wise, being that it's one of the most aggressive in the series, but it seems the extra years of domain knowledge fold back in neatly; level dump into health, upgrade one weapon, immaculate spacing, easy breezy. The framerate doesn't bug me nearly as much as expected either; acclimatized to it as quickly as the gameplay.
I returned for a flying visit myself, after another couple loops of DS1. What really struck me is how passively I was playing. To be expected, ofc, in the most literal sense; DS1 shields are comfy. But BB is such a spiritually distinct game; like stepping back into an old, increasingly comfy persona. As you say, the fundamentals transfer over nicely, but TEH BLOODLUST took some working up. Actually forgot there was regen. :oops: :lol:

I suppose it's like Dracula and Daimakaimura; unmistakably akin, but quite different in motion. After a shaky but mostly successful return to my usual Night 1 checkpoint Witches' Abode, I looked up my old travelogue, and marveled at the fookin brass neck even a minor adept like myself once reveled in. Image

OFC that's not all there is, but full-bore carnage is most def the meat to the Tactical Two Veg. Image Image
SUP PAHTNAH (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)
I put off Cleric Beast to hoover up all the goodies, and ended up wandering into Father G early - didn't know you could even do that! Noped out since I remembered him being a pain and wanted to spend out first, and ended up cakewalking the fight on return :lol:
I didn't realise CB was completely optional until wayy late, like several loops in. He's just that iconic a figure, with the unforgettable building-hop entrance. (which he blagged off DS1 Taurus, in hindsight; but Ricky styles on that chump FO FREE)

"BAH GAWD KANG!! IT'S VICAR LARRY'S COUSIN, STEAMPUNK RICKY!!" "I THOUGHT HE'D QUIT!" "WELL HE'S PISSED OFF NAO!!" :cool:

What I like to do occasionally is wait until Blood Moon, which gives the scene an absolutely apocalyptic air. :o
I also got owned by my own memory; oh yes, there's a secret right at the end of Prizewinning Pig Alley.
Spoiler: the secret is death by gravity. Game gave the credit to the pig after I'd killed it too, cheeky bugger. It's good to be back :D
Bwaaa! Speaking of time capsules; did a header straight down there, first time. Image :mrgreen: One of a few spots that taught me, in Miyazakiland, sometimes A Pit Is Just A Pit!
Lander

By t'gods, fear it Loz

Post by Lander »

Up to endgame now; just the DLC to do before finishing up. Ended up opting for a 25STR/50ARC build with 50 points foolishly dedicated to VIT in an attempt to make the deeper chalices solo viable.
More first-tries than not on the boss side, and very little in the way of resource trouble, which is refreshing after the lengthy troll farmville sessions of old.

The highlight so far is Paarl; slapped me good with his flailing backdown tech on first visit, so I came back later and ended up pulling off the most gratifying double groundsplat, then scaring him into a corner for final combustion with the Flamesprayer. BUUURN, FOUL BEAST :twisted:
Big ups to the watering can weapons; I used to give them no respect due to lack of impact, but proper investment confers the ability to utterly melt exploitable weaknesses.

Melee-wise, the Tonitrus has been a steadfast companion; blunt and fundamental, without much to compare with the Saw Series' endlessly gratifying Swipe -> Transforming Neckrippah -> Dash -> Wide Slash combo, but reliable and hard-hitting.

I intended to make Logarius' Wheel my secondary, but dropped it in favour of a fire-element Saw Spear somewhere around +6; high-risk SPIN2WIN seems like a ton of fun, but the lack of poise makes it useless with my current approach.
Not sure if it's down to lack of Beasthood or a more general nerfing of tank strategy, but it feels bloody awful going for a huge swing only to get poked out of it by a trash mob holding a butter knife.

Having viable hunter tools has been great fun; cliffing annoying foes with Beast Roar, stunning from range with Executioner's Gloves, and lining up hefty linear damage with the Tiny Tonitrus. All the scumbag shit :mrgreen: kind of expensive, but learning to properly manage Blood Bullets has been a godsend.
The chalices still suck though.
Really tried to like the chalices this time. Got further than ever, but the deeper I go the more of a mockery the area, encounter and boss design looks in comparison to the finely-crafted main game.

There are little flashes of From-y loopbacks and such, but more often than not they lead into the side dungeon which you - being a diligent and responsible soulsman - already cleared five minutes ago.
And damage balance is so fucked at Lower Phumeru Depth 4, even after ~20 levels of pig rectum-ectomy VIT farming, I dread to think what Ihyll and Isz are going to look like. One spider is enough to cause the classic roll-away-flailing-and-heal panic, and the other four behind them - plus two pre-aggroed hellhounds lololol - that's just icing on the pain cake.

Summoning offline NPCs for pretend-a-friend oh no he's run in again, where's he gotten lost this time and Summoned Old Hunter Madman Peter Weller shenanigans has helped alleviate the drudgery, but is at odds with actual progress since fighting Rom in a tiny room with 4x health is a horror unto itself!
BIL wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:41 am I returned for a flying visit myself, after another couple loops of DS1. What really struck me is how passively I was playing. To be expected, ofc, in the most literal sense; DS1 shields are comfy. But BB is such a spiritually distinct game; like stepping back into an old, increasingly comfy persona. As you say, the fundamentals transfer over nicely, but TEH BLOODLUST took some working up. Actually forgot there was regen. :oops: :lol:
I've been getting that feeling too; that there's a whole word of hyperaggression still to be had beyond the skills I've dredged back up. Spent a good chunk of the game not using the dash, since playing unlocked is so good in the rest of the series.

Lack of omnidirectional sprint while locked is also notable; both a suble push to Get In There, and a legacy design holdover from the older engine. There are a few bits here and there that recall the DS1/2 systems, which I find an interesting contrast since the rest of the presentation stands shoulder-to-shoulder with their later games.
BIL wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:41 am What I like to do occasionally is wait until Blood Moon, which gives the scene an absolutely apocalyptic air. :o
Sounds like a good way to reinvigorate those early bits of Yharny that go largely forgotten toward the end of the game. Though at that point, he might as well be a wandering miniboss :)

I left Amelia really late this time, and the fight ended up a tad looney tunes - tipsy late-nite play and harmless grabs aplenty. But, it gave me a newfound appreciation for the recovery animations; the head-munch and big slam both have unique standups with your hunter staring up at the (politely waiting) boss in absolute horror. Cutscene-worthy stuff alongside the rest of the atmos, and a cautious player might not even clock them!
BIL wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:41 am Bwaaa! Speaking of time capsules; did a header straight down there, first time. Image :mrgreen: One of a few spots that taught me, in Miyazakiland, sometimes A Pit Is Just A Pit!
It still haunts me just a little, but doesn't live in my head fo' free like it did on first play :)
Giving it a floor and putting it in such a dense area is the kicker - just screams find this.

But alas, no Cat Ring. Must have been replaced with the Ring of Queenly Rejection :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Almost done opening the game up. I have all of the main chalice dungeons open save for the great pthumerian - lower pthumeru, ailing/lower loran, cursed and defiled. I just need the living string and I can open the last one. This gives me easy access to things people need the most help with. Headless BLB (who I think is Larry in the waking world), WDOTOL, Amy, and Loran Darkbeast. Oh shit - I have to do Cainhurst!

Being able to zip to any part of the game is awesome. Lander if you're down for some co op let me know. I am on the huntersbell discord - benat_le_cagot.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

OK kids.

Beast Claws rule. It's the ultimate glass cannon build.

RAAAAAAAAOOOOWWWWWWWRRRRRRR

EDIT - Two beast claw users with beast embrace rune is fucking busted.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Return to Yharnam

Starts next weekend 3/23 and runs till April 7th.

Make a new character, leave "You're in the know, right?", rate fine notes, co op and invade at least twice in every area.

Seriously if you like Bloodborne these are the busiest two weeks all year.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, that's nice to know - I've restarted this after drifting away from my first playthrough a couple of years ago (at around the Shadows of Yharnam fight). I'm aiming for a Kirkhammer-oriented STR-monster this time - apart from just wanting to see everything again, the main reason I restarted is that my previous 'build' seemed a bit aimless, and it's been nice to play with a clear plan in mind. I'm loving how dense and greebly the level design is, at least in Central Yharnam and the Cathedral Ward/Oedon areas. (I accidentally found another shortcut to the Central Yharnam lamp after clearing a few crates out of the way in an inconspicuous corner, which suggests the Cleric Beast is entirely optional: the sewers were available from the start and the insight you need to talk to the doll can be found there instead. I killed the CB anyway, but it was so satisfying to have another "kicking the Undead Burg ladder down" experience right at the start.)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm down if you ever want to co op.

I'm in NYC, but have done lots of co op with people across the pond. Connection is usually pretty solid.