Scratches on CDs

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
KindGrind

Scratches on CDs

Post by KindGrind »

This is a bit of a simple question.

I am a pcb/cartridge person at heart, but I do own a very, very few cd-based games.

I have bought a copy of Lords of Thunder. The CD has mild scratches (as advertised), but boots/plays just fine.

Question: do all game CDs have the same tolerance to resurfacing? How are US Duo CDs in that regard?

Any input at all appreciated, kind gents.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
BIL

Re: Scratches on CDs

Post by BIL »

The data side (silver underside) is relatively tough. Hairline scratches won't typically cause issues. Outright gouges and dents can, but as long as the disc goes safely between its case and the player, you should be fine. Don't resurface your driveway with 'em. :wink:

If your copy of Lords is working fine, I would leave it alone - chances are the damage is merely aesthetic. I've never had cause to resurface a disc, but I couldn't imagine doing so unless it were malfunctioning (skipping, refusing to load, etc).

The label side is actually more vulnerable to damage, say by sharp objects. Never write on the label side with a ballpoint pen, such barbarism can kill your disc. When I'm extensively handling discs for whatever reason (I own far too many :cool:), I gently place 'em on their data side (on a clean, dry surface, needless to say).

Note that DVDs are constructed differently. They're basically a sandwich, and can delaminate if stored poorly (left in a hot/freezing car, or stacked up one atop the other). I wouldn't treat my CDs that badly either, but it's maybe worth noting. DVDs should be stored in Amaray-style push-to-release cases, the kind PS2 games are packaged in; CD Jewel cases are a tighter fit, and said to risk damaging the DVD's hub.

With optical discs, basically, keep 'em cool, dry, dark and vertical. Handle sparingly. I've never had one die on me, over about 20yrs and hundreds of discs (more counting music from when I were a rebellious \m/etal yoof). This goes for media in general, in my experience.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Thanks, BIL. Much appreciated! I don’t like the fickleness of the medium, which is why I don’t collect for disc-based consoles. I vaguely remembered someone somewhere mentioning that Sega CD/Saturn games were more prone to being ruined after a resurfacing, but again, that might be an urban legend. I was wondering if there was some truth to that, but I guess a CD is a CD after all. =)
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Well I have a Saturn copy of Virtua Cop 2 which appeared to be pristine, but refused to play. Under close examination, it had been resurfaced. Resurfacing is basically just removing the entire layer below the deepest of scratch, so perhaps after a certain amount of layer has gone, it's enough of a change for the laser to not be able to read it?

Got a few Saturn games that have been scratched to hell and still worked perfectly. But my other Virtua Cop 2 has not been so lucky - label side damage has led to rot.

They're robust things, CDs. Manufactured well it takes a lot to kill them. DVDs definitely seem more vulnerable to surface scratches - I've seen some roughed up DVDs work fine but an innocuous little mark cause others to skip/stutter/artefact. I gather BluRays are essentially indestructible (to normal abuse anyway) though.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Cartridge connectors have a lifetime in terms of insertion cycles, so they're not automatically guaranteed to live forever, and even proper usage leaves the media in worse shape than a carefully-handled disc. All media will eventually succumb to entropy and the only way to prepare for it is to back up your games (whatever their format may be). For what it's worth, it seems to me that most of the best deals to be had on collectible games are for disc-based systems - cartridges usually seem highly priced for whatever reasons, but there's plenty of valuable disc-based games out there to look for, and it seems that handheld games often retain their value better than home console games.
BIL wrote:Note that DVDs are constructed differently.
man said he's built different ━━( ̄ー ̄*)━━
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've found that when a disc is gone, ain't nothing gonna bring that mofo back for long. I've tried the toothpaste shit, I've tried resurfacing... When the disc is done, it's done. You can try to squeeze a little more blood from the stone, but it usually konks out in short order. Best advice I can give is treat your stuff well and make sure the system itself is in working order, because the motherfucking game system can scratch your games all to fuck if you're not keeping an eye on it. Try to catch any malfunctions in the game player before it gets to that point.

Source: Multiple original xboxes. God, that system is such a piece of shit. So poorly made.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I think the OG Xbox is a great candidate for expanding the definition of "backups" to include "bypassing the drives altogether and installing straight to flash memory." Get rid of the supercaps, get rid of the drives, upgrade to that 80 conductor cable and a SATA-IDE drive adapter, and the system seems much better off. I think I've got a few OG Xboxes in great working shape...quite a few more that aren't. One of my favorite systems to play and collect, but the risks are just too high to try and actually game on it, especially with rare titles.

Ironically, the only disc failure I've had (and known about) wasn't caused by the Xbox itself, but apparently by some disc rot. Thanks, Activision.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I think the OG Xbox is a great candidate for expanding the definition of "backups" to include "bypassing the drives altogether and installing straight to flash memory." Get rid of the supercaps, get rid of the drives, upgrade to that 80 conductor cable and a SATA-IDE drive adapter, and the system seems much better off. I think I've got a few OG Xboxes in great working shape...quite a few more that aren't. One of my favorite systems to play and collect, but the risks are just too high to try and actually game on it, especially with rare titles.

Ironically, the only disc failure I've had (and known about) wasn't caused by the Xbox itself, but apparently by some disc rot. Thanks, Activision.
I learned that with my 2nd xbox. First one, the drive was fucked when I bought it and I didn't know. Fun to find out. So I replace the drive and it works for some years, but the tray has that sticking problem. Of course. Eventually the xbox dies, so I get another one. First problem I have? Games keep giving me dirty disc/disc read error. My guess is it's another FUCKING disc drive broken again.

The system is such hot trash. I love original xbox games and I love the S controller. But yeah, modded is the only way to go here. There's no point actually trying to play xbox games off xbox discs. If the discs aren't scratched (often by the console itself), the system will have some kind of technical problem. Or multiple problems, more likely. Get a modded system with everything installed on it and sell all the discs to collectors.

I'm still on my first ps2 and first gamecube from when I was a kid. The gamecube is built like a tank. The ps2, I've just been lucky with. I've heard a lot of stories about the laser malfunctioning on those.

Cart-based systems with flash memory are my preference. I think the DS is a great system to play on for that reason. But I'm okay with disc systems as long as they have a decent level of build quality. Late-era xbox 360s seem mostly ok. I don't know about ps3.