Raspberry Pi *CRT* Image THAT DOESN'T SUCK???

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
yoohoorgb

Re: Raspberry Pi *CRT* Image THAT DOESN'T SUCK???

Post by yoohoorgb »

ASDR wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:57 am
kitty666cats wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:51 am I actually helped out with the making of CRTPi, I don't think I ever tried the 'final' image though... I'll have to give it a whirl sometime soon

I wonder whatever happened to the guy!
Thanks for your work, I didn't end up using CRTPi directly for my setup as I had some different ideas and needs but it was certainly the reference I used to learn about how all of this works on RPi/RetroPie!

IIRC u/ErantyInt was tired of the jerks on Reddit and he also reached a natural end point for his project. He did pretty much everything you could do on Pi3 and Pi4 was basically broken at that point and he didn't want to put in the work on figure out how to all make it work again. Honestly, I really like the idea of software just being finished. Not everything needs to be updated indefinitely every week, I like stuff that's just done and keeps on working.
I know this is an old post, but I created an easy installer to unlock RGBPiOS4. What this does is allows cores to be installed, changed, removed. God mode in the tweaks also enables all the hidden retroarch options. Right now the patch applies the new cores, but in the near future it will allow users to do it adhoc. +

rgbpi os is one of the few images that actually applies the correct frequency and resolution on a rom by rom basis. No need to keep timings.txt up to date. THe custom dac driver and dynares built into retroarch stay in sync. My only beef with it was that the devs locked it down so much. Well thats not the case anymore with this :)

https://github.com/sd2cv/RGBPi-Extra
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Maybe I should get a Pi5 and look into all of this again, but I still wouldn't want RGBPiOS. Too complicated and hard to understand. Somebody please just do something like RGBPi, i.e. RetroPie (is that project still going? Website News & Twitter seem dead) with as little CRT-stuff added as needed.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

yoohoorgb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:03 pm I know this is an old post, but I created an easy installer to unlock RGBPiOS4. What this does is allows cores to be installed, changed, removed. God mode in the tweaks also enables all the hidden retroarch options. Right now the patch applies the new cores, but in the near future it will allow users to do it adhoc. +

rgbpi os is one of the few images that actually applies the correct frequency and resolution on a rom by rom basis. No need to keep timings.txt up to date. THe custom dac driver and dynares built into retroarch stay in sync. My only beef with it was that the devs locked it down so much. Well thats not the case anymore with this :)

Do light guns work in your image? I have literally 3x RP4's, like 5x GunCon2 official light guns, 3x of the SCART adapters with the composite port to plug the light guns into – while still getting RGBS out (and also tried it with the composite plugged into the sync BNC (and the INPUT of that as well), 10+ PVM/BVM's to test on (with and w/out their brightness cranked up to horrible-looking levels)... NOTHING works like it should with light gun games.

Tried for days and days posting in their Discord to... Only 'answer' to my problem was (over and over again lol) "i don't know, it works for me"... despite me having such a plethora of everything I tested with... it's still somehow my TV/Gun/wiring setup which is at fault and not the programming...
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

How did you Rpi3 CRT quest go?

I still have one knocking around I could use for a setup, but I remember there being a real issue with the clock multiplier limitations on the Pi3. IIRC, the pixel clock is defined by the internal clock on the Pi3, and it can only be incremented in steps, and not continuously like it can on the Pi4, so if your kernel modeline doesn't work out to an exact multiple of the internal clock, it will just pick something for you and it will be wrong

I was just going to buy anther Pi4 instead because I know those work great (I have one working currently), but if you worked out the Pi3 then maybe I'll just use that.
yoohoorgb

Post by yoohoorgb »

Dochartaigh wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:25 am
yoohoorgb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:03 pm I know this is an old post, but I created an easy installer to unlock RGBPiOS4. What this does is allows cores to be installed, changed, removed. God mode in the tweaks also enables all the hidden retroarch options. Right now the patch applies the new cores, but in the near future it will allow users to do it adhoc. +

Do light guns work in your image? I have literally 3x RP4's, like 5x GunCon2 official light guns, 3x of the SCART adapters with the composite port to plug the light guns into – while still getting RGBS out (and also tried it with the composite plugged into the sync BNC (and the INPUT of that as well), 10+ PVM/BVM's to test on (with and w/out their brightness cranked up to horrible-looking levels)... NOTHING works like it should with light gun games.

Tried for days and days posting in their Discord to... Only 'answer' to my problem was (over and over again lol) "i don't know, it works for me"... despite me having such a plethora of everything I tested with... it's still somehow my TV/Gun/wiring setup which is at fault and not the programming...
Mine is not an image. Mine is an application that patches rgbpi os to allow you to get full access to retroarch menus etc like retropie. It also allows you to install new cores like retropie. Have you tried one of these? This is what I use for my lightguns.
https://www.amazon.com/PNGKNYOCN-S-Vide ... B09ZF8FF99

ASDR wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:02 am Maybe I should get a Pi5 and look into all of this again, but I still wouldn't want RGBPiOS. Too complicated and hard to understand. Somebody please just do something like RGBPi, i.e. RetroPie (is that project still going? Website News & Twitter seem dead) with as little CRT-stuff added as needed.
what part about rgbpi is hard? I can maybe help out. All you need to do is put the BIOS and roms in the folders. Everything else should just works once you have the roms and bios
yoohoorgb

Post by yoohoorgb »

Their new project which supports most raspberry pi generations should hit most of the marks. It works with both CRT and HDMI.
https://www.replayos.com/
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

yoohoorgb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:22 pm Mine is not an image. Mine is an application that patches rgbpi os to allow you to get full access to retroarch menus etc like retropie. It also allows you to install new cores like retropie. Have you tried one of these? This is what I use for my lightguns.
https://www.amazon.com/PNGKNYOCN-S-Vide ... B09ZF8FF99
Yes, I have 3x of them (ordered a 3rd when I still couldn't use light guns properly on RGBPiOS4, just in case). Still doesn't work.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Just wanted to circle back and update that I got my rgb pi jamma. I've got mine running in an arcade cab, k7000 25" monitor. Raspberry pi 4b and the rgb pi os version 4. I'm not running anything too crazy - 2d arcade and some console stuff. The most taxing on the hardware is probably turbografx/pc engine cd games. It all runs and looks great. No lag that I can detect.

I will say: be sure to read the instructions wiki before starting to connect things up and get your environment going. I, being impatient as i usually am, jumped right in and connected the rgb pi jamma backwards. I'm accustomed to that not being an issue with arcade boards, but with the rgb pi jamma it is. Fried the two controller ic's and had to replace them. Not terribly difficult of a replacement job, but does require hot air. And always easier to just not cause problems in the first place. :D But, the rgb pi jamma does come with some inserts for the key on jamma connectors, so you just insert that in your connector and then it's impossible to plug in incorrectly. They thought of everything...i didnt.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It's possible to play the Cave SH3 rom of DDP-SDOJ (and not the SDOJ hack with Sonic Knuckles/Hello Kitty variant rom) with FB Neo Final OS4 & a Raspberry Pi 4 setup -- by trial and error, it's doable. Is certainly much better than having to settle with the Xbox 360 port of SDOJ and it's well known issues -- it's still cool, nevertheless, to hook up an Xbox 360 console running SDOJ with a euro scart cable + scart to jamma adapter to a candy cab or supergun setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~