ATTN: All Toaplan-heads - Developer Documentary Project [KS]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: ATTN: All Toaplan-heads - Developer Documentary Project [KS]

Post by Steven »

MJR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:18 am
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 am
MJR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:04 am

There was nothing weird about it, just a time zone difference. Link works now, but I got other things I need to do, so I'll watch it later in the evening.
I mean it was weird that I was able to get mine early somehow but you weren't. I'm not really sure how Vimeo works, though.
How it can be weird, if you are in Tokyo and I am in Finland? I am six hours behind you :roll:
It was supposed to launch at 1000 JST but I got it at ~0925 JST.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:22 am
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 am
I mean it was weird that I was able to get mine early somehow but you weren't. I'm not really sure how Vimeo works, though.
How it can be weird, if you are in Tokyo and I am in Finland? I am six hours behind you :roll:
Ok, so it got launched at 31/08 9:25am JST. Here, the time was around 3:30am, when I was still asleep. I got the email to the link at 20:53pm on 30/08, at that time link didn't yet work. I went to sleep at 11pm. And in the morning, the link worked.

Apart of link activating 25 minutes earlier than it was supposed, I don't see anything out of the ordinary happening here :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

MJR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:31 am
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:22 am

Ok, so it got launched at 31/08 9:25am JST. Here, the time was around 3:30am, when I was still asleep. I got the email to the link at 20:53pm on 30/08, at that time link didn't yet work. I went to sleep at 11pm. And in the morning, the link worked.

Apart of link activating 25 minutes earlier than it was supposed, I don't see anything out of the ordinary happening here :lol:
Joe did send me a message at that time asking me if it worked for me because I guess other people were getting errors for some reason, so maybe he decided to publish early just in case. Looks like people on the Kickstarter page are still having difficulty as of a few hours ago, so hopefully Joe can figure that out.

Anyway, this thing is great and it's so good to see how blatantly obvious it is that IKD loves these old games.
MJR

Post by MJR »

OK, thanks for clearing it up. Can't wait to watch the interview!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MJR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:40 am Only for backers who bid 7,5000 yen or more. Those have received the email already.
It's gonna be on the bluray at least, no?
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think it's the only part of the whole thing that is download-only.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What a waste
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'd love to have it on the BD, especially because it was originally planned to be 5 minutes long but ended up becoming 24 minutes long because IKD ended up saying so much cool stuff in his interview.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Are there plans to eventually make the documentary available for purchase by non backers?
Steven

Post by Steven »

There will be a Blu-ray you can buy once it's released.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Johnpv wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:19 pm Are there plans to eventually make the documentary available for purchase by non backers?
You can already purchase it from vimeo with €925 :roll: :lol:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The backer codes for the Ikeda interview simply don't work. I get an error using any of them, and only the Shmup Junkie narration has an option to enter a code anyway (at least for me). I noticed that the code they give is one digit shorter than the example code on vimeo, which makes me wonder if they made a mistake.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I got the codes working and was able to watch the interview, though logging into Vimeo was a hassle since it's been 10 years since I last used it.

Oh and if this interview was any indication of the content we are going to get on the bluray, then I'll say we have good stuff waiting for us.

I had totally forgotten that I entered *cosmic space monkey* as my mid initials, now it's there on the credits scroll :lol: :lol: :lol:
jehu

Post by jehu »

EmperorIng wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:27 pm The backer codes for the Ikeda interview simply don't work. I get an error using any of them, and only the Shmup Junkie narration has an option to enter a code anyway (at least for me). I noticed that the code they give is one digit shorter than the example code on vimeo, which makes me wonder if they made a mistake.
The instructions left by the project manager were just very poor.

You have to be logged in to a Vimeo account.
Then, go back and click on the backer links you got.

The missing piece for me was not having an account. But everyone's confused - the Kickstarter comments are full of people having the same issue.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Yeah it is not obvious. Don't put the code into the 'VIP Access' slot, it won't work. Instead, click on the 'buy for silly money' button, scroll down and copy the code into the promotional code slot or something of that nature. It worked for me and was a great interview. Apologies if this makes little sense as I am very drunk.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, you have to have a Vimeo account and use the codes, which give you a 100% discount on the videos. It's weird and there was probably a better way to do this, but it works. Looks like some people still might be having difficulty with it, though.
EmperorIng wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:27 pm The backer codes for the Ikeda interview simply don't work. I get an error using any of them, and only the Shmup Junkie narration has an option to enter a code anyway (at least for me). I noticed that the code they give is one digit shorter than the example code on vimeo, which makes me wonder if they made a mistake.
Did you get it to work yet? My codes are all 18 characters long, in case that helps you know if yours are weird or not.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

No, it was creating the account which was the problem, since this wasn't explained in the backer email. I've been able to watch it now!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Okay, cool. I was like half asleep when I did it, so I don't really remember the process, but it looks like some people people are still having problems with it.

In case there is anyone who wanted to back this but didn't, funding is going to reopen somehow and it will be open until the end of the month. I'm not really sure how it's going to work, but if you want in, talk to Joe on Kickstarter or Twitter and he will be able to tell you more. Yes, the IKD interview will be available as part of this, so if you want it, there you go.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:46 am In case there is anyone who wanted to back this but didn't, funding is going to reopen somehow and it will be open until the end of the month. I'm not really sure how it's going to work, but if you want in, talk to Joe on Kickstarter or Twitter and he will be able to tell you more. Yes, the IKD interview will be available as part of this, so if you want it, there you go.
I'm so glad he temporarily opened backing.

For some bizarre reason (probably a crazy period at work), considering I hang here on the forums, and I follow Shmup Junkie on twitter, I only became aware that the documentary was on Kickstarter in... February 2022 (a handful of days after it closed). :oops:
I've been kicking myself ever since, since this is something that I'd obviously like to watch, and support.

I sent a message at the time through the documentary's twitter account, kept waiting for some sort of "late backing" option to appear, and I'm finally in. :)
And I already have access to the Tsuneki Ikeda interview that was released on Vimeo!

For those interested in backing the documentary, do as Steven told, and send a private message on Twitter through the documentary's official page:
https://twitter.com/all_toTOAPLAN
Last edited by FunktionJCB on Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Once this is all done and finished, surely the next step is to do the same for Cave?
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The Tsuneki Ikeda interview is just lovely.
Even as a "side-extra", it's an awesome calling card for the upcoming documentary, full of great touches (like the various game center footage or photos). But, it's those clips showing Toaplan staff at the table talking, or visiting various locations, that just warm my heart. It will be great to see these moments and chats, expanded, on the documentary.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, those guys all still love each other a lot, 30~40 years later. In case anyone doesn't know who those guys are, from the left, it's

Komai Ryota
Iwabuchi Koetsu AKA Kusaka Koetsu AKA Bucchi Saikaa AKA Buchi
Uemura Tatsuya
Hayashi Miho
Nakaoka Shintaro