-=WIP Shooter with Online Ranking=- (Comments request)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
MaNaR

-=WIP Shooter with Online Ranking=- (Comments request)

Post by MaNaR »

Hi,

I've been working on my shoot-em-up KAISERTAL for a short while now and I would like to get some feedback, ideas, opinions, etc !
The game is far from finished but it is playable and the Online Ranking component is working smoothly.
You can check the current rankings on the website (link below).

Current features
- ORS Online Ranking System
- 20+ Different Enemies
- End-boss 1 functional
- Coin collection system
- Weapon upgrades
- Shield system
- 2 Levels

Planned features
- 6 levels
- More End bosses
- 2 Player Cooperative play
- Editor to create your own levels

Known issues
- Fighter plane is placeholder
- Second fighter doesn't have its own weapons yet
- Music doesn't loop or end properly

You can find the latest build on this website in the downloads section:
http://www.kaisertal.com

Hope to hear from you soon!!!
MaNaR

Recent screenshots:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

So you've only been working on this for a short while? Wow, seems much more polished than others I've seen posted here! Online ranking is very cool.

About the only feedback I have is the ships movement speed could be a little faster, and maybe a smaller hitbox (with hitbox indicator)? If you increase the overall speed, could have a slowdown button you hold down for finer movements (hitbox also lights up when holding slowdown button).

Keep up the great work!
MaNaR

Post by MaNaR »

Thanks for your comments Dave!

There is a slowdown when you press the fire button, but maybe it isn't obvious enough so I'll emphasize it a bit.
I've added the hitbox indicator during slowdown.

MaNaR
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

hey, i played it through. i like the logo, and overall you've done some great work so far. however, you need to tweak the gameplay. it was way too easy, no real challenge. the action is slow and some of the obstacle type enemies are too vunerable to become a threat. other than that the boss should have a more emphasized indication of when it is being hit, for instance light up the the sections as they are being hit... and there ought to be more enemy fire overall.

i noticed the slowdown effect when firing but as said, it could be more obvious, and you should make the leveldesign so that it comes to more use. .

oh, and when the game tried to connect and my firewall stopped it to ask me if i want to let it through, i couldn't continue or cancel or alt+tab to the firewall dialogue, or even ctrl alt delete so i had to restart the computer.

i bet you've thought of most of these points allready, and i hope i'm not coming across being overly critical, cause you've got a good base to build on.
MaNaR

Post by MaNaR »

Thanks for your comments mrMagenta!

I'm sorry to hear that you had to reboot your machine, I probably have to add a warning screen to turn off the firewall before the game starts.

I've fixed the slowdown effect, is a lot more obvious now, and I'll work on your other comments as well, like adding more enemy fire and hilighting the parts hit on the boss.

MaNaR
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Quite good so far. I just had the chance to play it once but you've got things technically pretty sound so just continued work on the gameplay.

Bill
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

Finally downloaded your game MaNaR... I have to admit this game is one of the best shooters I've played in a long time. I know that the explosion effects need work, and it's not finished yet, but the gameplay is by far superior to other games I've played recently...There's just something about this game that makes it extremely fun!

I have uploaded a video of me playing level 1. I just thought that I'd show to everyone that hasn't downloaded it yet what they're missing out on! You can use this video on other sites too if you want..

http://www.shmup-dev.com/Kaisertal.wmv
MaNaR

Post by MaNaR »

Thanks a lot Matt! The video looks cool with those transition effects

Btw, there is a new build available for download, #13

MaNaR