SHINORUBI - new bullethell game

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
AntiramDSR

Re: SHINORUBI - new bullethell game

Post by AntiramDSR »

thx for the replies...

feels like skipping this tbh
Giga Power

Post by Giga Power »

Ok, so I've played a bit on Series X. Overall I'm not the biggest fan of the widescreen orientation but other than that I'm enjoying it. The gameplay is pretty fun, really enjoy the color palette/art style/music, and the 120hz mode is pretty fantastic. Damn shame there's no vertical implementation though.
Yes Boss!

Post by Yes Boss! »

AntiramDSR wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:25 pm still not sure about getting this game on series s.

hate the verizontal/exarcadia move from devs...

orherwise looks like it could make up for the lack of crimzon clover on series s... opinions?
I only have a Series S and it runs great in that machine. I do have a PS4 and PS5 but wanted something new for XBOX and I prefer the controllers there.

It runs silky smooth and looks like a high -res SDOJ. Yeah, the play field is cramped but looks like that is what they were going for.

I have no issue with the Exa port as that was a great opportunity for the small team.
AntiramDSR

Post by AntiramDSR »

ended up buying it :) thx all
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

I bought it on PS5. It's excellent value. So many arrange modes (although I feel there is such a thing as too many).

There are things I like, but they're outweighed by the things I dislike to be honest. Fair play to Exa for addressing most of them, particularly the orientation, which is by far my biggest gripe. It feels off with any shmup, but particularly a DDP style shmup, and unlimitedly I don't think it's a hurdle I can get over. I can only imagine it was a decision made to broaden the appeal.

And no, I won't be whipping the credit card out for Pink Label. I'd sure like to try it someday, but for now it's certainly not calling to me, even with the screen the right way round.
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

This looked really interesting so I bought it on Switch. I somehow completely forgot about the tate Exa exclusivity controversy and to be honest I would not have purchased the game at full price had I remembered. I can't get past this widescreen honestly with the ship sizes especially and I've tried a few times now. It might not be so bad if everything wasn't so out of proportion but some of the ships are just too large while other things seem too small due to how extreme the large end of the scale is. I can't really play this without a tate option. Interesting game though I guess.

I'm playing DOJ so I don't need a new shmup to play right now regardless, but I'm disappointed in this whole situation even more after having played it.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Am I missing something? Where's the controversy? I'm assuming the devs set out to make a vertizontal shmup for PC and consoles, did so, and at some point Exa approached them and proposed developing an exclusive arcade version with various changes to make it appealing to an arcade audience, the most notable being tate. It's not like the developer set out to make an inferior home version, because that's where the money is at.
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

Only in the sense that all Exa exclusives are inherently controversial due to the exclusive nature. I also don't think the developers were or are being nefarious or anything. I was only really speaking of my personal opinion.
AntiramDSR

Post by AntiramDSR »

well... i get that the steam early access people are mad about 2 years of waiting and dev-silence and then seeing all consoles get a release while they are still waiting and running outdated beta.

about exa... which indi shmup dev wouldn't pick this opportunity. that's nothing to blame them.

xbox version runs great and is fun enough... far more polished than the eastasiasoft garbage the xbox store gets spammed with

EDIT: after a few hours of more playtime i want to add:

my first impression "fun enough" didn't do it justice

the (at first glance) unliked verizontal thing really isn't a problem after adapting to it. great fun and arcade feel playing with 8bitdo's wireless arcade stick sitting in front of a big screen. love the sfx, music, overall style and scoring system.

arrange modes are also nice.

don't know why or how to put it, but it gives somehow the same vibes like the X.X Gameroom games.

with the somewhat lacking (at least digital) xbox-library of shmups in mind: this one really shines! and as far as i know... i baught almost all of them :D

still hoping for Crimzon Clover coming to XBox some day or some love from M2 for us... (would pay anything for that Esp Ra.De. port)
Last edited by AntiramDSR on Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Good to see some people picking up Shmups on Xbox. Now if we could only get the Arcade Archive and M2 titles in 2024 too...
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

ThundergunExpress wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:22 pm This looked really interesting so I bought it on Switch. I somehow completely forgot about the tate Exa exclusivity controversy and to be honest I would not have purchased the game at full price had I remembered. I can't get past this widescreen honestly with the ship sizes especially and I've tried a few times now. It might not be so bad if everything wasn't so out of proportion but some of the ships are just too large while other things seem too small due to how extreme the large end of the scale is. I can't really play this without a tate option. Interesting game though I guess.

I'm playing DOJ so I don't need a new shmup to play right now regardless, but I'm disappointed in this whole situation even more after having played it.
I couldn't have said it better. I was thinking of buying it too, but I'm holding off. I too got DOJ a couple weeks ago and Ketsui. So, I got all the quality games I need and have time for now.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Seems to be a bug in the PS5 version where arcade sticks using the Brooks adapter will not work. Won’t register button or dpad inputs at all.

Dual Sense works fine.

Edit - seems my Hori Fighting Edge won’t work either.🤬

Fun game from what I've played - a little hectic at first, but you get used to it. All this crying about a game designed to be a wide screen shooter not having a TATE mode is ...amusing.
Last edited by soupbones on Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I really love the aesthetics of this game, and the gameplay is decent...
but the non-tate presentation is just mind-bogglingly retarded.
Like, blazingly so. Sun at noon in death valley, painfully blazingly so.

Just watching gameplay vids is uncomfortable.
What an absolute waste of talent and effort.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's fucking dogshit. It's tied with that Shikihondo thing as the worst shooter I've played on Switch. Thankfully, I didn't buy it.
TATE? Exclusive?
Fuck off.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

No TATE no buy. That simple.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Bought it just to support the developers because a new non-zero budget bullet hell shooter is a rare thing nowadays, but then quickly remembered why I'm not a fan of vertizontal games, it just feels so unnatural, there's little tactical approach because you don't see what's coming, and having to maniacally race all across the screen all the time is exhausting. Bosses are often right in front of you because there's simply not much space above you. Also, gameplay-wise, is there anything new in this game? Everything felt painfully generic to me, I don't think I saw a single new bullet pattern. I also don't like the fact that when I lose all my lives, I have to wait for what feels like forever until I can continue. Not a fan of the what seems like an overly simple scoring system: collect all the stars and use the laser to charge fever mode, which I can't trigger myself apparently? Meh. Music's generic, too. Everything's just so average in this game.
The d-pad on the standard switch pads fucking sucks, which obviously isn't the game's fault, but I also see absolutely no reason to get a proper arcade stick for the Switch.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:03 pm I also see absolutely no reason to get a proper arcade stick for the Switch.
Mushihimesama, DDPDFK, Radiant Silvergun, Espgaluda II, Shikigami 2, Triggerheart, Crimson Clover, all the great ACA stuff, a lot more I’m forgetting. Having a good arcade stick for Switch is an absolute must in my eyes.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
ChurchOfSolipsism

Jonpachi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:44 pm
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:03 pm I also see absolutely no reason to get a proper arcade stick for the Switch.
Mushihimesama, DDPDFK, Radiant Silvergun, Espgaluda II, Shikigami 2, Triggerheart, Crimson Clover, all the great ACA stuff, a lot more I’m forgetting. Having a good arcade stick for Switch is an absolute must in my eyes.
Thanks for the recommendations - I failed to mention that I have most of that stuff on Xbox360 and of course I own a good stick for it...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:17 pm
Thanks for the recommendations - I failed to mention that I have most of that stuff on Xbox360 and of course I own a good stick for it...

For ChurchofSolipsism,

You can use a Switch usb "game controller" convertor stick like the cool Collective Minds' "Switch Up" adapter with your Xbox 360 arcade stick hooked up to a Switch via USB-C port -- just have to "enable wired Switch Pro controller" functionality and it'll be recognized by the Switch console. Easy as pie. Saves you $$$ by not having to buy a dedicated Switch arcade stick (the "Hori Switch Hayabusa V Pro" arcade stick is an awesome arcade stick worth getting if you want a proper dedicated arcade stick to play Switch shmups -- it's red and black color scheme going throughout the overall build is quite easy on the eyes as well).

I'm currently using a Qanba Crystal PS3/PS4 based arcade stick (the arcade stick that has slick internal blue led lighting for all push buttons and arcade joystick also -- gives it a nice futuristic vibe/effect when playing shmups when lit up/activated) with a Mayflash "Magic Stick Pro" usb game controller adapter (it automatically detects what console it's hooked up to) on an oled Switch and it works like a charm indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC Engine Fan X!

I noticed on my Steam Deck today, 1/19/2024, slated for January 30th, 2024, is a whopping 828.5mb patch d/l (expanded to 849.99mb once uncompressed) for the Steam version of Shinorubi. Could this patch fix the "current 24fps framerate issue" running on a Steam Deck to run at the originally intended "60fps framerate spec"? We'll see if that is so.

According to the dev, the patch is officially known as "Shinorubi 1.0" released today as of 1/19/2024. Yeah right (but then why does it crash/refuse to boot up/run period?). Not to mention that it was exactly two years ago today, that the Early Access port of Shinorubi was released on Steam on 1/19/2022.

----------
Dear Shinorubians,

Exciting news awaits! After an extensive two-year development jouney since our early access phase, we are thrilled to announce the official release of Shinorubi 1.0!

Shinorubi represents the realization of our vision from four years ago (2020) when we embarked on this game development endeavor. It's not just a mere version update; it stands as the most substantial enhancement to the game to date. Packed with numerous new and refined features, along with improvements to every facet of the game system, we are confident that both newcomers and seasoned veterans will find something to appreciate.

Improved frame rates (about damn time they did so)
Steam online leaderboards with unlimited ranking, new design.
Sound quality elevated to 48kHz
Revamped vibration systems.
Added support for Taito Egret II Mini usb arcade stick.
A bunch of other features as well

The LastBoss88 Team
----------

Decided to go ahead and d/l the damn patch right now for use on the Steam Deck.

An error box pops up saying:

----------
Please contact Last Boss 88 technical support for further information: Crash-Fri Jan 19 1059092024.crash log
<anonymous>:47:15:E5000: snytax error, unexpected
NEW_IDENTIFER
r
stack traceback:
----------

It doesn't look too good with d/l'ing this particular patch right now, folks, if you want the Steam Deck version of Shinorubi to crash big time. As of right now, I'd have to delete Shinorubi and do a fresh reinstall. Hmmm...wasn't expecting this to happen.

Did a fresh reinstall and get the same error message again. Before d/l'ing the patch, Shinorubi would boot up with Proton 8.0-4 without any trouble/issues.

Upon booting up Shinorubi with Proton 4.2-9, get message saying Windows 8 is required to operate program and follows with the same above error message afterwards again.

Proton 5.0-10 is d/l and proceed to boot up. Just goes right back to Steam play screen.

Tried both Proton Experimental and Hotfix -- just returns back to Steam play screen.

Finally tried Proton 8.0-4 and it reverts back to Steam play screen.

Another tiny patch update at 134.5kb was d/l -- proceeded with Proton 8.0-4 and it says Win8 needed to operate and goes straight to error screen again and then back to Steam play screen.

I've come to the conclusion that with this newly released Steam Shinorubi v1.0 patch today, it's dropped Steam Deck support for the time being. It would've been nice to play it "on-the-go" with the Steam Deck but alas, it's just not possible.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
DMC

Post by DMC »

For what it's worth, I think doing arcade Exa can be a good learning experience for them. I think some here need to remind themselves this is a small, inexperienced development team of just four people doing their first game together. They are not Cave. They had a vision with an immersive (zoomed in) 16:9 vertizontal aimed for a console audience-- but due to the Exa collaboration they are forced to do a more traditional vertical STG that would work in the arcade market. That should be a pretty good opportunity for learning, how is the gameplay affected with these widely different aspect ratios and console vs arcade market.
PC Engine Fan X!

The LASTBOSS88 dev team finally did some "voodoo magic" with releasing an updated Steam version 1.04 that runs at the originally intended "arcade-spec" 60fps framerate (whereas the latest beta version ran at a paltry 24fps framerate) on a Steam Deck using the Proton Experimental loader + wi-fi access turned on for true online leaderboard "scores" uploads/downloads.

It's recommended to select the Steam Deck's native game resolution of 1280 x 800 (as Shinorubi does officially support it from the get-go for full screen support) under the Steam "General" settings menu before launching it for the first time.

----------
There is, however, a small issue/niggle of having Shinorubi running in demo mode where it'll play a sample stage only once and then cut to a black screen which hangs there indefinitely (forcing the end user to manually exit the Shinorubi game) when under normal/ideal circumstances, it'd return back to the main title screen and proceed to show a different sample stage demo afterwards. Another patch fix to fix this particular issue and then Shinorubi will be 100% working as it should be running on a Steam Deck setup.
----------

By selecting Normal for both Textures and Particles under the Video options setting is strongly recommended when running Shinorubi on a Steam Deck setup (as not to overheat the Steam Deck if running with High or Extreme settings forcing the Steam Deck to automatically shut down if run too hot).

By disabling the screen curvature effect presentation (enabled on default setting), it looks at it's best on the Steam Deck's IPS based LCD screen (or upgraded OLED screen with the v1.5 refresh hardware release of the OLED Steam Deck variant).

If Steam Haptics is enabled, it'll give the end user more detailed information (applies when using a 1st-gen Steam Deck setup):

Vulkan 1.3.26 1
AMD Custom GPU
60.000000 Hz (framerate setting)
xRGB (color setting -- none user changeable/selectable)
VRAM 192MiB / 9 152MiB

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Good to see they are actively patching the game - patiently waiting for a PS5 patch so I can use an arcade stick. :D
ChurchOfSolipsism

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:18 pm
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:17 pm

For ChurchofSolipsism,

You can use a Switch usb "game controller" convertor stick like the cool Collective Minds' "Switch Up" adapter with your Xbox 360 arcade stick hooked up to a Switch via USB-C port -- just have to "enable wired Switch Pro controller" functionality and it'll be recognized by the Switch console. Easy as pie. Saves you $$$ by not having to buy a dedicated Switch arcade stick (the "Hori Switch Hayabusa V Pro" arcade stick is an awesome arcade stick worth getting if you want a proper dedicated arcade stick to play Switch shmups -- it's red and black color scheme going throughout the overall build is quite easy on the eyes as well).

I'm currently using a Qanba Crystal PS3/PS4 based arcade stick (the arcade stick that has slick internal blue led lighting for all push buttons and arcade joystick also -- gives it a nice futuristic vibe/effect when playing shmups when lit up/activated) with a Mayflash "Magic Stick Pro" usb game controller adapter (it automatically detects what console it's hooked up to) on an oled Switch and it works like a charm indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Many thanks for going to the trouble to type up this information-packed answer - once again, I'm sorry to say I was imprecise in my reply, my "arcade stick" looks like this:

I only play xbox360 on it since it has all the good Cave stuff and it's jtagged as well. Since the cab uses an old LCD screen that only has VGA in, I can't connect the Switch to it :(
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:29 pm Since the cab uses an old LCD screen that only has VGA in, I can't connect the Switch to it :(
Wouldn't an HDMI-VGA DA converter work?
PC Engine Fan X!

For Church Of Solipsism,

Wow, that is quite a beautiful and extravagant bartop arcade cab setup. Did you make it yourself or buy it and further customize it? And does the LCD monitor support tate & yoko formats? It certainly can accommodate a Switch setup quite easily (with it's small form size/factor) with the right hardware -- no doubt about that (making it a true dual-purpose bartop cab indeed -- having the best of both worlds with the Xbox 360 and Switch gaming platforms).

Yes, SuperPang's helpful suggestion of using an HDMI to VGA adapter would work just fine with your Switch setup + Switch Dock + either Switch controller usb adapter (the "Switch Up" or Mayflash Magic Stick Pro + USB to USB-C adapter) = priceless gaming at it's best! Your awesome bartop cab surely would enhance/elevate your Switch shmups to a whole new level/experience.

----------

With dev team LASTBOSS88's latest v1.04 Steam Deck support patch, it does offer instantaneous online leaderboard uploads after doing a single gaming session on just one credit -- I'm throughly impressed with it. I'm currently placed at #13 ranking on Normal setting as of right now. The Steam leaderboards of Shinorubi shows the top 29 rankings for each difficulty setting -- how cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ChurchOfSolipsism

SuperPang wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:46 pm Wouldn't an HDMI-VGA DA converter work?
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:23 pm Wow, that is quite a beautiful and extravagant bartop arcade cab setup. Did you make it yourself or buy it and further customize it? And does the LCD monitor support tate & yoko formats? It certainly can accommodate a Switch setup quite easily (with it's small form size/factor) with the right hardware -- no doubt about that (making it a true dual-purpose bartop cab indeed -- having the best of both worlds with the Xbox 360 and Switch gaming platforms).

Yes, SuperPang's helpful suggestion of using an HDMI to VGA adapter would work just fine with your Switch setup + Switch Dock + either Switch controller usb adapter (the "Switch Up" or Mayflash Magic Stick Pro + USB to USB-C adapter) = priceless gaming at it's best! Your awesome bartop cab surely would enhance/elevate your Switch shmups to a whole new level/experience.
Cheers man, built this thing 15 years ago with a mate of mine. It's got a Seimitsu LS-32 and Sanwa buttons for proper shmupping and the (low lag) LCD screen can be turned sideways for the rare occasions I want to play non-shmup games. I like building arcade related stuff, right now I'm working on a mini cocktail cab, a 50%-reproduction of the American Donkey Kong cab, and a mini vpin cab.
Anyways, if they release the DDP campaign version on Switch without too much lag, I'll consider getting all the stuff you guys mentioned. I have so many games lying around I should play before I start any Switch cab shenanigans...
PC Engine Fan X!

If you buy Shinorubi for the PS4, you're able to download the PS5 version as a 725.8mb d/l free of charge. How cool is that?

I've also noticed that if you do manage to pull off a "no miss" on any given stage (like on the "Green Valley" first stage), you'll score a cool 50,000,000 points bonus added to your overall score when the CPU adds everything up scoring-wise.

However, both the PS4 and PS5 port of Shinorubi only have local leaderboard support and not "true" on-line global leaderboards support like with PC and Steam Deck formats.

----------
The PS5 port of Shinorubi will automatically record a brief video clip of your best scoring run for posterity/actual proof/bragging rights -- this handy functionality/feature isn't found on the Switch, Series S/X or even the PS4 port either. Something different for a change of pace.
----------

The latest patched Steam Deck port of Shinorubi still encounters the "stuck black screen issue" after a single demo run -- the LASTBoss88 dev team needs to release another patch to fix this current pressing issue at hand. Please do so.

And is it possible to patch the Switch port of Shinorubi to run at a 60fps framerate spec rather than at the current 30fps framerate spec? The Switch port of Pawarumi came with a 30fps framerate but it took a whole year to patch it up to run at 60fps framerate.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

The LASTBOSS88 dev team released a 5.5mb patch with firmware version 1.1.0 for the Steam Deck yesterday 2/13/2024 and when running on the Steam Deck if allowed to proceed to do a demo run, it'll show the first demo and return to a black screen and hangs there indefinitely + the main title screen doesn't reappear whatsoever (forcing the end user to have to manually exit the Shinorubi game and restart it up again just to play it on a Steam Deck setup). Yep, it's still not running 100% flawlessly as it should be by now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

LASTBOSS88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:58 pm Image
Any updates on the PS5 version getting arcade stick support? I see the Steam version has gotten a couple of patches already.