Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by hamfighterx »

This one is wild... Received my Superdeluxe JPN retail copy of Daifukkatsu yesterday. I also have the LRG physical (Collector's Edition) and the US eshop version. Currently, the ONLY version of the three that allows for the in-game Chiptune soundtrack is the Japanese physical Superdeluxe cart. Exactly as shown in darklavos's screenshot above.

Both the downloaded version AND the LRG cart (fully updated from version 1.0.3. that comes on the cart, to the current version 1.0.4.) only have the v1.5, Black Label, and BL Arrange soundtracks in the music select options. I double checked this for each version by fully deleting the game and installing it fresh. So, unless there is another update to add the chiptune soundtrack, looks like this is exclusive to the Superdeluxe version.

Also interesting that all three versions use the same Switch application, sometimes regional variants or eshop versus physical are their own separate app. Even with the downloaded version on the system and having used both carts, same thing - everything else looks the same in all of these variants, but only when you are playing from the physical Japanese release can you use the chiptune soundtrack. I'd be interested to see confirmation from anyone with the Japanese eShop version whether that one has the chiptune soundtrack or not (I suspect the eShop version is consistent worldwide and does not include it, but just to be sure).
miwa

Post by miwa »

DDP Resurrection is No.17 on the Famitsu Sales List for retail copies sold in Japan last week.
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/10/famitsu ... 23-10-1-23

I don't think I've ever seen a shmup listed before. Are 6985 copies a lot?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hmm, I can see why LRG customers are pissed. They order the game a year in advance, get it last, and its got content missing.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

miwa wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:57 pm DDP Resurrection is No.17 on the Famitsu Sales List for retail copies sold in Japan last week.

This is actually pretty amazing. Especially since the game has been out digitally for quite a while. I wonder how DaiOuJou will do for M2.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:24 pm Hmm, I can see why LRG customers are pissed. They order the game a year in advance, get it last, and its got content missing.
You do know that Superdeluxe Games is also LRG, right? SDX is effectively Limited Run's Japanese arm - a joint venture between LRG (who are part owners) and 8-4 Ltd.(Japanese localization company used by lots of publishers like Nintendo, Square Enix, etc.). By supporting SDX, you're also giving money to LRG/Embracer Group.
https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/ ... luxe-games

Also, LRG wasn't last. Their standard editions shipped several months ago. The Collector's Edition was delayed months (seemingly due to delays on Live Wire's end for the chiptune soundtrack CD) but also shipped a while back, I got mine in August. The Superdeluxe version just released last week in Japan.

I also don't think it's fair to say the LRG version has "content missing". Live Wire's Switch version of Daifukkatsu released in November 2021 on eShop, and the LRG version is exactly what they marketed it as: that exact game, on a physical cart. It *IS* true that the SDX version includes what seems to be a version exclusive feature though, in the form of the in-game chiptune arranged soundtrack (exclusive at least for now, assuming it isn't patched into the other versions via an update). But really, this is not that different than a re-release of any game that has additional features.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

hamfighterx wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:29 am
neorichieb1971 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:24 pm Hmm, I can see why LRG customers are pissed. They order the game a year in advance, get it last, and its got content missing.
You do know that Superdeluxe Games is also LRG, right? SDX is effectively Limited Run's Japanese arm - a joint venture between LRG (who are part owners) and 8-4 Ltd.(Japanese localization company used by lots of publishers like Nintendo, Square Enix, etc.). By supporting SDX, you're also giving money to LRG/Embracer Group.
https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/ ... luxe-games

Also, LRG wasn't last. Their standard editions shipped several months ago. The Collector's Edition was delayed months (seemingly due to delays on Live Wire's end for the chiptune soundtrack CD) but also shipped a while back, I got mine in August. The Superdeluxe version just released last week in Japan.

I also don't think it's fair to say the LRG version has "content missing". Live Wire's Switch version of Daifukkatsu released in November 2021 on eShop, and the LRG version is exactly what they marketed it as: that exact game, on a physical cart. It *IS* true that the SDX version includes what seems to be a version exclusive feature though, in the form of the in-game chiptune arranged soundtrack (exclusive at least for now, assuming it isn't patched into the other versions via an update). But really, this is not that different than a re-release of any game that has additional features.
I see, thanks for explaining. Can you explain why my copy hasn't shipped then? Seeing that everyone else is already putting them up on ebay with pictures of "in hand" copies? I mean if I preordered and paid for my copy nearly a year ago I would expect my copy before a Japanese release. I have a ticket raised but no response as yet.
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

Does anyone know what the update to 1.04 even is? Still no leaderboards and no chiptune soundtrack- were there outstanding bugs?
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Their blog post says there was some problem playing the digital version after you played the (Japanese) physical version. That was fixed.
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

Jucksalbe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:51 am Their blog post says there was some problem playing the digital version after you played the (Japanese) physical version. That was fixed.
I suppose it's the same issue I had with Esp Galuda II when I acquired the LRG edition. I hope they will also solve this problem with the release of the Super deluxe edition.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:04 amI see, thanks for explaining. Can you explain why my copy hasn't shipped then? Seeing that everyone else is already putting them up on ebay with pictures of "in hand" copies? I mean if I preordered and paid for my copy nearly a year ago I would expect my copy before a Japanese release. I have a ticket raised but no response as yet.
I can't explain why your copy hasn't shipped, gonna have to take that up with LRG. I would suggest continuing to follow up with LRG support though. One potential issue I could think of is that I have no idea whether the mini-arcade cabinet has shipped yet, so if you happened to have included that in your order perhaps it could account for delays. And, as always, if you have any other items in your order, the entire order only ships once all items are in stock (just like they clearly say in their shipping terms). I'm also not very familiar with how they are at shipping to the UK or other countries outside of the US (where I am).

But yeah, DDP Resurrection standard copies were finished and shipped months ago based on seeing lots of people confirming their receipt. And I can personally confirm I received my Collector's Edition (wanted that soundtrack...), which was shipped and received in August. Not sure if the Steelbook non-CE edition shipped at the same time, it's possible they prioritized the CE version ahead of that one. At any rate, sure looks worth checking into with LRG support for anyone whose orders still haven't shipped yet.

FWIW, the only time I personally ran into a similar issue with LRG, a few months ago I had a different game ordered that showed as "Ready" on my account page but sat there with no update and no shipping notification for weeks. I raised a support ticket on a Friday, LRG support emailed me back on Tuesday of the following week (in line with their website support FAQ saying it can take them up to 2-3 business days to respond), and the support rep confirmed that they had missed pulling my order for shipment and they would reschedule it in their shipping queue. Took about another week from then for them to actually ship it, but they did and I received the game.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Got my shipping notice. Weirdly before customer service got back to me.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My package is now in the UK, should have it soon.

At least limited run actually fulfilled my order (eventually).
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

miwa wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:57 pm DDP Resurrection is No.17 on the Famitsu Sales List for retail copies sold in Japan last week.

This is simply amazing.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Received the Superdeluxe Games (Japanese retail) version of Espgaluda II today. Just a heads up that once inserting the SDX version, it will make the Limited Run Games version of Espgaluda II no longer run on your system (at least not without a full system wipe, not just deleting the application) - LRG version will go into a constant "needs an update" loop and never find the file, never boots.

The LRG version does the same thing to break the download version. SDX version interestingly does NOT break the download version (until you insert the LRG card).
But once you have put both carts (SDX and LRG) into one Switch, the ONLY version of the game that will currently run is the SDX cart. Take that into consideration.

I also posted about this in the Radiant Silvergun topic, which had a similar issue with its recently shipped LRG physical release (also a Live Wire game where they added an arrange soundtrack to the cartridge release) and was discussed recently. Interestingly, Switch DDP Daifukkatsu (another Live Wire game with a physical version) does not have this issue. I have the SDX and LRG physical releases and US eShop version for that game, and they all work fine.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Daifukkatsu got a patch on the release day of the JP physical specifically to fix a similar issue. Maybe Espgaluda will get one later? I don't own the LRG release, but I noticed the JP physical has a much higher version number than my download version did (which may or may not have been up to date). Download version was at 1.05, my JP physical says 1.08 (and the title screen says 1.03....).

Now when will we get a JP physical of Mushihimesama?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jucksalbe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:04 pmDownload version was at 1.05, my JP physical says 1.08 (and the title screen says 1.03....).
Yep. For Espgaluda II:
Superdeluxe JP physical: 1.0.8
Limited Run physical: 1.0.7
eShop version (US): 1.0.5

If you have the eShop version installed and view the application details from the Switch menu, you'll see 1.0.5. Pop in the SDX cart and it will change to 1.0.8, remove the SDX cart and check and it will change back to 1.0.5 (and download version WILL still work).

But once you boot the LRG cart, you lock yourself out of being able to boot the (lower version number) eShop version. And once you boot the SDX cart, you lock yourself out of being able to boot the (lower version number) LRG cart.

Quite a mess for anyone with the Limited Run cart.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

A note here to perhaps restate is that you can delete and reinstall the digital versions to fix this issue. Correct?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Jonpachi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:34 pm A note here to perhaps restate is that you can delete and reinstall the digital versions to fix this issue. Correct?
Per the other thread, I think that is NOT the case. One way door short of factory re-install.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

SavagePencil has it right - short of a full system reset*, you cannot just delete the application and reinstall.
* I assume full system factory reset works, but have not actually tried it (but perhaps I will at some point on my secondary Switch that has very little downloaded to it)

Once the SLX cart (v1.0.8 ) has been in your system, you can't play from the LRG cart (v1.0.7)... but you can still use the download version (v1.0.5)
Once the LRG cart (v1.0.7) has been in your system, you can't go back to download version (v1.0.5).

For other Live Wire titles:
- Same thing was discovered on the recently shipped LRG/Live Wire Radiant Silvergun physical (v1.0.6), which, once played, locks you out of playing the eShop version (v1.0.5)
- Not an issue with any of the LRG, SDX, or eShop versions of Dodonpachi DFK, all of which have the same version number (v1.0.4). I can boot any of these on the same system.
- Also not an issue with LRG's Mushihimesama cart and playing the eShop version (both are v1.0.5 of that game)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

That sounds like a downloadable disaster. lol
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah, this is such a mess. Is it possible that Nintendo really allowed unique versions on carts for the sake of these limited physical runs with no intent to reach parity? I'm having a fever dream vision of a future YouTuber explaining all of this to collectors in the year 2045.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Don't mix and match then. I know all these people that buy physical and play the download version.

I know this isn't anyones fault but luckily it only affects a handful of people. I can't imagine too many people are affected.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Jonpachi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:24 am Yeah, this is such a mess. Is it possible that Nintendo really allowed unique versions on carts for the sake of these limited physical runs with no intent to reach parity? I'm having a fever dream vision of a future YouTuber explaining all of this to collectors in the year 2045.
Judging by all of the garbage shovelware that infests the eshop, which itself always seems to be on the verge of crashing, I don't think Nintendo cares about quality anymore.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Jonpachi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:24 am Yeah, this is such a mess. Is it possible that Nintendo really allowed unique versions on carts for the sake of these limited physical runs with no intent to reach parity? I'm having a fever dream vision of a future YouTuber explaining all of this to collectors in the year 2045.
I think what makes this so weird/frustrating is that there have been other titles where different releases of a game are still treated as completely separate titles. For two examples that I own, the now-delisted English version of Radirgy Swag and the one on the Illvelo Swamp cart peacefully co-exist as separate titles (and the titles do have some differences), as do the two different versions of River City Girls that I have (Asian release and RCG/RCG2 JP pack--and while I haven't checked in a while I'm pretty sure the actual versions of both are the same). Having cart-specific extras is potentially neat, but for god's sake it shouldn't render the "standard" download version unplayable once someone puts the cart in their system!

I still think this is something that could have been caught with some basic pre-release QA testing, but it's also baffling why Nintendo wouldn't be aware of this potential issue and have policies to treat situations like this as separate revisions. I get the point of unifying versions across release types so a dev can just push single updates instead of multiple different ones, but when there is different content across different releases, it's not like they're even the same version anymore.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Well, the collectors in 20 years will not have the option of (an official) download version, and most likely would not seek out multiple different physicals. So I assume it will be an issue that affects only a very tiny number of people.

The craziest part is that the SDX Espgaluda II cart does play nice with the download version. With every issue, the problem relates in one way or another to the LRG cart. Just bizarre that you can get into a situation where playing one physical version of the game (SDX) will even make the other PHYSICAL cart (LRG) unable to boot. At least for that game, it does make things easier for someone who wants a physical copy and does not yet have one - ignore the LRG release and pick up the Super Deluxe one instead, no problems.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The entire thing is because the Switch holds a hidden version repository which you can only clear with a factory reset. Once it gets a game and version combination, it won't accept launching a lower version number - it'll trigger an update prompt, whether an update is available or not. This is probably to prevent save game corruption/incompatibility/potential exploits.

It's an edge case, because users would not be expected to be trying to play games across 2 different cart releases and a digital release. The highest version number is on cart, so arguably there is a workaround - use that version - and it's unlikely anyone is going to put the effort into fixing it as a result.

It's the software publisher at fault here, because content differences (even if it's something as trivial as splash screens or even copywright text on the title screen) between physical/digital releases should be treated as separate games - not different version increments of the same game. However that probably has other overheads as to why they didn't do it - and won't be something they can reverse now.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

So are the SDX games using distinct game IDs, then? Are local saves/user preferences shared between digital and physical?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I think collectors (myself) will absolutely seek out multiple versions. I'm curious to see if the SDX versions become more valuable over time vs the LRG releases due to this issue.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 pm The entire thing is because the Switch holds a hidden version repository which you can only clear with a factory reset. Once it gets a game and version combination, it won't accept launching a lower version number - it'll trigger an update prompt, whether an update is available or not.
Not necessarily true - the Super Deluxe cart of Espgaluda II is v1.0.8., but you can still play the download/eShop version (v1.0.5) fine. The Switch will even refresh the app icon when you remove the cart, and report the game is v1.0.5. So, it's clearly possible to have a higher version number that does not restrict launching a lower version number.
TransatlanticFoe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 pmIt's the software publisher at fault here, because content differences (even if it's something as trivial as splash screens or even copywright text on the title screen) between physical/digital releases should be treated as separate games - not different version increments of the same game. However that probably has other overheads as to why they didn't do it - and won't be something they can reverse now.
Why can't they reverse it? Live Wire could just push an update out to the eShopto allow the download version to update to the highest version number. As Live Wire are the ones providing the approved version of the game to go on the carts produced by LRG and SDX, they surely should be able to put download versions up. The potential issue is that Live Wire may not want to give the download version the extra arrange soundtracks on the physical carts. But they have managed to get around that before - all versions of Switch DDP DFK are the same version number, but the download version (which works fine) doesn't include the AST.
SavagePencil wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:21 pm So are the SDX games using distinct game IDs, then?
Does not appear so, since the SDX Espgaluda II cart does lock out the LRG Espgaluda II cart on same machine.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:22 pm I think collectors (myself) will absolutely seek out multiple versions. I'm curious to see if the SDX versions become more valuable over time vs the LRG releases due to this issue.
There's a lot less of a reason for people who don't already own a physical copy to care about the LRG version now. The SDX one is straight up better, it's the same game with the additional feature of having the arrange soundtrack on cart and playable. If I didn't have the LRG release already (which I did, because when I ordered that I had no way of knowing a separate superior physical version would be released to retail), I wouldn't buy it now. But I understand there is some desire from a tiny minority of people to collect them all just for the sake of collecting.

Perhaps in the future if the LRG gets cheaper than the alternative, it might be more appealing though. At this point that sure isn't the case though, with SDX having a retail release with normal game pricing, and the LRG being "limited" so hoarded and scalped with a premium price.