Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cresta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
pablumatic

Re: Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cre

Post by pablumatic »

Jeneki wrote:Is there a Japanese physical, or just this? Took a quick look in the usual places and didn't see anything.
Yes. There will be one coming later.

https://twitter.com/EZ_takayoshi/status ... 9740777472

You can also get the soundtrack CD from Japan without getting the LRG limited edition.
https://sweeprecord.com/srin-1181/

They will eventually sell that soundtrack CD to western audiences on this site:
https://sweeprecord.ocnk.net/product-list
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I’ll def be getting the regular JP physical when it gets released.
Like most adults, I’m over the LEs (mostly…)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Who wants to bet that the Japanese physical version will still ship before LRG's does? I will.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Thanks for sharing that.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

As interested as I am in this game, does anyone notice that the game seems to have little to no anti-aliasing?
Just the stream quality, maybe?
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i think it is probably an intentional stylistic decision in order to give the game a more retro vibe?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I agree, it looks like some kind of filter used to give the game a retro pixelated or CRT shadow mask kind of look. Kinda reminds me of the one that could be found in SoR4. Scrolling objects have a really heavy shimmering effect. Hopefully it looks a lot better in person.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Rastan78 wrote:Hopefully it looks a lot better in person.
I hope so.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Anybody watching the stream?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

xxx1993 wrote:Anybody watching the stream?
It's weird seeing Kamiya with two sheets of plastic beside of him, like he's an important figure who is under threat of assassination.
Also, that interpreter is the most easy going, ad libbing one I've ever heard. Too much lip smacking, though.

Anyone know how many stages this is going to have?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:Who wants to bet that the Japanese physical version will still ship before LRG's does? I will.
Oh, absolutely. LRG's times from order window to shipment are typically in the 5-8 month range. I wouldn't expect to see Sol Cresta shipping until like... August or later.

I'm still fine ordering the Switch version, I like having a physical cart. Sometimes I'm cool with just waiting to play the game, though for this one I'll also grab the PSN download version when it releases this month.
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:
Steven wrote:Who wants to bet that the Japanese physical version will still ship before LRG's does? I will.
Oh, absolutely. LRG's times from order window to shipment are typically in the 5-8 month range. I wouldn't expect to see Sol Cresta shipping until like... August or later.

I'm still fine ordering the Switch version, I like having a physical cart. Sometimes I'm cool with just waiting to play the game, though for this one I'll also grab the PSN download version when it releases this month.
Yeah, I will get the PC version once I get around to it eventually, so no physical for me anyway once I do get around to it, as I've bought way too many games recently and have more coming next week when my 360 Saidaioujou gets here... even though I don't have a 360 yet lol. I've recently been buying console games just for physical versions even though I really should be getting everything on PC, so I've decided to move back to PC now whenever possible. Need to stop buying physical console games and clogging up my tiny 1 room apartment...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Anybody watching the stream?
It's weird seeing Kamiya with two sheets of plastic beside of him, like he's an important figure who is under threat of assassination.
Also, that interpreter is the most easy going, ad libbing one I've ever heard. Too much lip smacking, though.

Anyone know how many stages this is going to have?
Probably the entire solar system…
jehu

Post by jehu »

I don't have a ready interpretation for this, but the soundtrack is spread across 2CDs and looks like it contains a ton of tracks. I'll drop the timestamped YouTube vid link so you all can see.

https://youtu.be/AL3UzKbU3NY?t=4184

To my mind, seems like there's more tracks than you'd expect for a typical STG with only a handful (6-7) of stages. Might be an indication of an arrange, might be that the CDs have sound effect files filling it out, might help sus out how many stages we're looking at. An interesting piece of information that might help glean second-hand information, in any case.

EDIT: You can actually get a pretty good look at track names if you boost to 1080p and pause the video. Looks like it isn't an arrange, anyway - might have a couple songs assigned to each stage. Maybe a separate boss track for each stage. Curious to see what info you all might be able to pull out of this.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

jehu wrote:I don't have a ready interpretation for this, but the soundtrack is spread across 2CDs and looks like it contains a ton of tracks. I'll drop the timestamped YouTube vid link so you all can see.

https://youtu.be/AL3UzKbU3NY?t=4184
Hot damn, I want one of those Platinum/Hamster/Nichibutsu sweatshirts! :lol:
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So cool that Terra Cresta is getting this respect so many years later. An all-time favorite.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

kid aphex wrote:I’ll def be getting the regular JP physical when it gets released.
I would extend this to just being over 90% of physical releases in general. It's just not worth keeping around all this clutter in the name of "preservation" as most people seem to make the excuse of, when there are sites that have every game ever released on Switch and PS4 already archived and available to play on modded consoles. We don't live in the 90s anymore and digital preservation actually tends to be more reliable than physical nowadays (by fans, not platform holders,) especially with how inflated and priced-out the physical market is getting.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rwave

Post by Rwave »

Will the PC version have a "vertical" mode like the original arcade game ? Would be cool.
Multiple monitors nowadays can be rotated.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

Rwave wrote:Will the PC version have a "vertical" mode like the original arcade game ? Would be cool.
i would say probably not, as it seems like the HUD on the sides is intended to be seen by players. i agree it would be cool though!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Queen Charlene wrote:
Rwave wrote:Will the PC version have a "vertical" mode like the original arcade game ? Would be cool.
i would say probably not, as it seems like the HUD on the sides is intended to be seen by players. i agree it would be cool though!
It does support TATE
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
kid aphex wrote:I’ll def be getting the regular JP physical when it gets released.
I would extend this to just being over 90% of physical releases in general. It's just not worth keeping around all this clutter in the name of "preservation" as most people seem to make the excuse of, when there are sites that have every game ever released on Switch and PS4 already archived and available to play on modded consoles. We don't live in the 90s anymore and digital preservation actually tends to be more reliable than physical nowadays (by fans, not platform holders,) especially with how inflated and priced-out the physical market is getting.
You're right.
I'm in the 10% that values the ability to resell my games, as the type of games I'm into typically have high re-sale, and I don't like throwing money away when I don't have to.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

kid aphex wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:
You're right.
I'm in the 10% that values the ability to resell my games, as the type of games I'm into typically have high re-sale, and I don't like throwing money away when I don't have to.
Bingo!
I has nothing to do with "preservation".
Rwave

Post by Rwave »

SPM wrote:
Queen Charlene wrote:
It does support TATE
Great, thanks!!
The original Moon Cresta was one of the first arcade games I played (at the time they launched the game ),
still remember how innovative the docking was for us kids !
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

"THERE IS A HUGE HOSTILE REACTION - INTERCEPT IT WITH A PERFECT ATTITUDE"

I love this
Steven

Post by Steven »

Be perfect attitude for gains.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This is the type of game I am much more willing to give a chance on steam versus ordering a console copy or having it on my library. So I am glad I don't have to wait ages for a throwaway pc port.

Game looks easy (maybe they've only shown the game off on easy?), but retro revivals with higher budgets like this are harder to come by so unless it's a complete disaster I'll be up for it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

EmperorIng wrote:This is the type of game I am much more willing to give a chance on steam versus ordering a console copy or having it on my library. So I am glad I don't have to wait ages for a throwaway pc port.

Game looks easy (maybe they've only shown the game off on easy?), but retro revivals with higher budgets like this are harder to come by so unless it's a complete disaster I'll be up for it.
Being a Platinum game, I would bet it will have some difficulty settings that will sort that out.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Someone seemed to think the game would benefit from a scanline filter to make the visuals more bearable, but in an epic misstep the filter actually makes the game borderline unplayable at any of its offered intensities. Imagine a broken CRT monitor with a failing tube and vaseline smeared all over the glass, resulting in a blurring of detail to the point where it becomes a handicap.
A review from nintendolife is out: https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/sw ... sol-cresta
I guess the CRT filter really is as bad as it looked on the stream.
Last edited by Rastan78 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Fighting game commands in a shooting game? Do not want. It's fortunate that Cotton 2 lets you put them on the Saturn's XYZ buttons, so hopefully this game lets you do the same.