Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Lander

Re: Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Post by Lander »

FF tier lists? Well, you can pry Lightning Returns from my cold dead hands :evil:
...Oh, gracious me! Was I raving?
9 would probably be my unimpeachable best nostalgia ever no backsies candidate if I'd finished it as a lad, rather than falling off after an enjoyable Disc 1 in favor of... God knows what, probably Silent Bomber or some roughshod Net Yaroze thing like Robot Ron or Blitter Boy.

8 was the cousin-owned white whale game, so realistically it's probably that. Though I'll still justify it all day by praising how broken the systems are :mrgreen:
BryanM wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:52 amAct 3 of Diablo 2 is loathed by 97% of players
Well that's great to hear, as a first-timer just into Act 2. Boy howdy my shins can hardly wait.

Though was there ever really any precedent for the level design to be good? As soon as the word 'random' enters the conversation, you're more or less doomed on that front.

Though I can't deny that the play space as ephemera approach seems to work with the rolling grind. After accepting the maps as largely meaningless, there's a certain flow to the run-to-the-exit-killing-motherfuckers setup that I didn't feel from Grim Dawn's more crafted locales. Nonstop adventure, with brief breaks to offload loot and maybe listen to a 6-paragraph Cain speech.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I guess I'm at the point where Kefka goes insane. Floating island.

This is the furthest I've gotten in any mainline Final Fantasy. I only played 5, 12, 13, and 15 before this.
I quit 13 about 6 hours in. Quit 12 at 10 hours. I need to continue 5 because I was having fun with that but got my cheeks spread by some thing in a book that kept switching forms.

15 was honestly horrible in every facet but graphics. I was just not having any fun at all.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Final Fantasy 6 was probably its peak imo. Granblue Fantasy's success was probably 80% from using the same art and music guys (the music really doesn't quit, whether it's the theme of a phantom beast, edgy angel bois, or a fierce battle against a tuna fish), it's the closest I've seen a pro company try to recreate FF6 which is really nonsensical to me. I blame the onset of 3d graphics.

One thing that's been getting some noise lately is a Unity clone of Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy Renaissance. It's not my thing but maybe one of you guys might like it.

Though was there ever really any precedent for the level design to be good? As soon as the word 'random' enters the conversation, you're more or less doomed on that front.

You may say that now, but you may soon come to realize it's a rather long sliding scale indeed. The latent space in act 3, the lazy algorithms used to assemble it... Lufia 3 dungeons will start lookin' pretty good indeed, and they're barely a step up from Dragon Quest Monsters'.

This random level thing has been something I've thought about, a lot. A space is only worth memorizing if you spend a lot of time in it. With early dungeon crawlers like Dragon Quest, you'd spend a lot of time in an area as you build up endurance to push further and further. While around the SNES era jRPGs became more like books, and you just walk from the beginning to the end. (Which isn't always too much different from memorizing the algorithm. Like in any Dragon Quest style dungeon - if there's a fork in the road and the path you take looks like it's going to be long, ~95% of the time you know the other path will be short and have a treasure chest at the end of it.)

I could probably prepare an essay that goes on for at least 20 pages on observations, musings, and the various ways to approach level generation.

The Blizzard North guys never seeming to notice there's even a problem of a lack of variety in scenery is a problem! Path of Exile has random levels, but they're leagues better than what was done in Diablo 2. Path of Exile 1 and 2 are $0 games, so think about giving them a try some day.
Lander

Post by Lander »

XoPachi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:21 pm I quit 13 about 6 hours in.
Goofs aside, I recommend Lightning Returns if you enjoy the Action RPG side of things, even if the 'mainline' 13 games didn't grab you. Perhaps especially if; I still don't really grok what a La'cie or Fal'cie is, and nor do I care :)

Lightning herself is pretty bland (as you'd expect from the FemCloud thesis toon I suppose), but the setting, characters and story are so far gone into Majora's Mask timeskip nonsense that it can be taken as a comfy no-context 'what if' OVA.

People give it shit for being the terminal dumpster fire of the XIII subfranchise, but it does some legitimately interesting stuff alongside really good combat and progression. Off top of my head, I can't think of another jarpig that splits its main quest into several independent chains that span the entire game world and can be completed in whatever order the player wants.

It doesn't touch Kingdom Hearts 2 (what does? :roll:,) but I'd probably give it second place in the ARPG With Genuinely Fine A competition. Definitely second-best in Square's roster, at any rate.
XoPachi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:21 pm15
Blech. Against better judgement I actually went back to give 15 a real chance once the fancy pants PC edition came out.

Not worth it. There's no fixing the boy-band and fractured story, but they sorted out the combat by patching in a step back lads, you'll just get in the way super moveset once you find all the Armiger weapons.

Shit suddenly feels like a Devil May Cry-a-like, but comes so late that you've already spent an entire game being hacked off at stumby clumblefite and friendly fire magic 'nades. Blech!
BryanM wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 am This random level thing has been something I've thought about, a lot. A space is only worth memorizing if you spend a lot of time in it.
Well, I suppose I am something of a selfmade proc-gen bigot. My surface feeling is that the further you stray from human intentionality (which frequently implies bolting together samey modules Risk of Rain style,) the less chance of good remains.

Funny actually, I've been digging through some projects for portfolio stuff lately, and pulled out an old procedural density map algo that was jammed into a unity terrain; surprising, the amount of ways there are to make an interesting noise field that can drive a heightmap or instance distribution function.

Good variety to be had, though I think Derek Yu-style higher order reasoning over randomness is critical on top of a good procedurality kernel. There needs to be something, some structure, that a player can recognize as the hand of the designer and convert into those "oh you (/ bastard)" moments that otherwise tend to feel like being dick-kicked by implacable mother nature.
BryanM wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 amPath of Exile has random levels, but they're leagues better than what was done in Diablo 2. Path of Exile 1 and 2 are $0 games, so think about giving them a try some day.
I'm kind of interested in PoE, though outwardly it seems like a game that will take you for a ride if you aren't actively educating yourself on the correct way to play it.
Though I got on fine enough with Warframe for a time; guess it beats taking everyone for a ride by default!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Lander wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:30 pmI still don't really grok what a La'cie or Fal'cie is
Kinda dodgy Malaysian hard drive company.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Lander wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:30 pmWell, I suppose I am something of a selfmade proc-gen bigot. My surface feeling is that the further you stray from human intentionality (which frequently implies bolting together samey modules Risk of Rain style,) the less chance of good remains.

The core issue I think is most people approach it as a way to do less work. "Eh, instead of designing levels I'll have the computer do it." As laziness is the #1 virtue of programmers (double-edged knife that it is, that requires an over-abundance of the 2nd virtue, impatience, to counteract its downsides), I get it.

Simple algorithms made sense when program sizes were limited. The "nine boxes connected by corridors" used by Hack, Mystery Dungeon, Lufia 3, and probably many others are pretty terrible. Less efficient than just having every room the same size like in the first zelda with none of those one tile wide corridors. But the simple algorithm used in Pitfall! was pretty alright. It was a way to make a game bigger than you otherwise could have.

But the core truth is to have ~ten times the variety, you have to do ten times the work. And you have to identify what matters, and what does not matter.

Let's take a castle generation algorithm: every room in a castle should have a purpose. Entrance hall, audience chamber, barracks for soldiers, hallways, toilet rooms, guest rooms, kitchen, etc. They should be connected at certain places, and some should only show up a single time in a single dungeon. Whether an entrance lobby is 29x30 tiles big or 28x31 doesn't matter whatsoever. But the decorations inside matter quite a lot: if there are portraits of bunny rabbits or suits of armor tells a lot about the personality of the castle's owner, and can be a tool to create that sense of anticipation thing. Those statue heads in Zelda's dungeons do a lot of work.

Platformers are probably the hardest, since you have to be aware of many meta-characteristics of a stage. One basic example is the Mario tutorial obstacles, where there's an easy and safe version of a challenge. Followed by a harder version, and finished with the hardest version that probably has some of those deadly Pits added to it. That kind of thing has to be intentionally put into the algorithm, or it'll never happen.

It's a bit of a trip to think the design of the houses of the NPC's in Animal Crossing are better quality than these empty hallways with monsters and treasure chests.

Randomized terrain has been a staple of AAA games for decades now - it doesn't matter so it saves them a ton of money on generating empty space. There's even that random tree generator that was industry standard last time I checked decades ago. (Gamefreak could probably use a tool like that. To get some consistency in their tree art.)

The box model gives a massive disincentive in making games replayable like this, though. Most people will only play halfway through at best, and then you want them to buy the next box. So all this is really only relevant to indie development.

As for human intentionality, consider the games that are basically indistinguishable from something a lazy half-assed random generator would spit out. At the end of the day it's just another tool a creator can use, and if they don't know how to use it, it's worse than not having it.

It's more like gradients than dithering. You can never have enough dithering, but you can make some vicious eyesores with too many gradients. (Some Atari 2600 homebrew guys sure do love their gradients, man.)
Sengoku Strider

BryanM wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:16 amYou can never have enough dithering
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Pish. Gradients all over her skin. Disgusting.

Needs more dithering.
Sengoku Strider

She looks like she's wearing a giant tea bag.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Trying to get Mog back. I guess I gotta find Locke first.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's been so long so I had to check to be sure since I never remembered that being true (always picked up Locke later), but it doesn't look like it. You can do most things in any order once you have the airship.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Locke is in a fairly elaborate dungeon, probably the "toughest" outside of the final one? I usually get him as one of the last ones.

You don't need anyone else to get Mog back. :)
Spoiler
...but Mog is needed for someone else
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd agree that Locke's dungeon is among the toughest before Kefka's tower. The only one harder IMO is the Fanatics Tower which requires some serious prep work to do it...
Spoiler
unless you have the Moogle Charm
I was replaying through the Mother games, and I realized I'm annoyed about how Earthbound/Mother 2 handles elemental resistances at the end of the game. It's... deliberately obtuse and silly compared to the much simpler first game, with item descriptions failing to describe resistances accurately:

• Fire, Freeze, and Flash are generally self-explanatory, with the dedicated pendants providing the maximum level of safety. The unique Sea Pendant provides full resistance to all three, EB/M2 complicates things with a shop-buyable Earth Pendant (and an ultra rare Star Pendant) and the descriptions don't indicate how much protection they provide; you kind of have to figure it out yourself (Earth Pendants provide 60% rather than the full amount of protection).

• Items that provide Paralysis resistance provide increasing amounts. The more expensive, the more you get generally. Easy enough thankfully, though one of Poo's items provides a small amount without actually telling you it does in the description.

• Hypnosis and Brainshock resistance are very weird... they're tied to the same stat, with 0 Hypnosis resistance meaning 100% Brainshock resistance. The only items that give Hypnosis resistance are found late in the game, and this is why early game enemies will never confuse you with Brainshock. However, equipping those items is actually a bad idea, and the best Arm slot equipment is generally the Diamond Band. Few enemies use Hypnosis, and the scary ones that do (the Musica in Fourside) appear before Hypnosis resistance is available! At the end of the game, only one minor enemy uses single-target Hypnosis, compared to Final Starman who uses the much more debilitating Brainshock Omega to confuse everyone. As such, it's actually better to ditch the fancier endgame equipment and use store-bought Diamond Bands, so you're not suddenly finding everyone on the team hit with confusion.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I attempted the Fanatic Tower and got anally fisted.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The Fanatics' Tower requires a fair bit of planning; all four characters you bring need to have a wide range of magic learned at their disposal since you can't use anything else, and ideally have ways to deal with Reflect status on enemies. There's a few difficult to find spells that ignore Reflect that are handy for this, but then you also gotta be prepared for some of the nastier enemies in the game found on the top floors of the Tower. It's real tough.

There's a way to cheese it though that avoids all encounters in the Tower. If you do that, you can loot the place almost effortlessly. There's a couple bosses in there but they're honestly less of a hassle than having to deal with all the enemies in the Tower.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:24 pm
There's a way to cheese it though that avoids all encounters in the Tower.

Moogle Charm?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Moogle Charm. It's a relic that lets you avoid all random encounters while equipped. Good luck finding it without a guide though as there's absolutely no hints on how to find it that I'm aware of in-game. The Tower isn't really necessary to beat; the award at the end is extremely powerful but is entirely unnecessary to beating the game. The Moogle Charm also lets you do some very silly shenanigans like raid Kefka's Tower early without having to be strong enough for the monsters there. There's a few early treasure boxes with some good stuff, including Setzer's best weapon (which is like, out in the open a few steps from the entrance, O_o).

If you want it, use a guide, but I usually like to play an RPG without a guide once, then use one for all the stuff I missed.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I got it a little earlier and blitz the tower's treasures before the MagiMaster made me his magislave. I checked the wall because Mog was just...staring at it. I thought he was trying to open a passage.
I killed the dragon at least before losing at the tower. And the Ice Dragon at that.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:20 pm The Tower isn't really necessary to beat; the award at the end is extremely powerful but is entirely unnecessary to beating the game.
Tbh the reward for beating Fantatics Tower pretty much breaks the rest of the game completely XD Especially paired with am Economizer. Extremely powerful is an understatement!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Nice so Magimaster just kills you for free when he dies. :/
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yup. His AI (and that of several other enemies) is programmed to trigger a Final Attack when killed. It's his gimmick. Short of simply grinding HP to take the hit, there's a few ways to deal with it:
Spoiler
• Cast Rasp until his MP hits 0. In the World of Ruin, many enemies that have nothing other than spells are programmed to die when MP hits 0, and Magimaster needs MP to cast Ultima.

• Cast Life3. Only one Esper in the game teaches this though, so you'll have to find it and learn it first.

• Use the Palidor Esper right before he dies. Good luck timing this though.
Personally I think the reward is a bit overrated; learning Meteor or Ultima alone enough to steamroll many encounters. Life3 is even crazier. Give yourself a Ribbon/Economizer/Safety Bit as needed and you've got a spellcaster that'll wipe encounters. I remember giving Cyan this setup when I was young; his stats sorta suck for spellcasting, but healing spells don't care about magic power, and Meteor and Ultima always do high damage due to their formula, and Cyan could use his rather slow level 5 tech to drain MP back if need be without worrying about Osmose being reflected. (I hoarded Elixirs way too much, scared to ever use them, lol)

Offering/Master's Scroll is even more broken imo as it doesn't require another relic slot for Economizer to be a potential game-breaker with the right weapons.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I played through FF1 and 6 a few years ago and, the last half-year, have been working my way through all the games in-between (alongside a replay of FF1). Fun series - the things that strike me the most about Final Fantasy are their strong pacing, heavy emphasis on variety and how satisfying the high levels of power you work your way up to in most of the games are.

My brief thoughts on the (original versions of) the games:

FF1 - I really love the concept of freeform-building your party at the start of the game and having to play around that, but the game's potential is hurt a little by how generally weak most magic is (I didn't like my first playthrough that featured red mage / white mage / black mage much, my second that only had a single red mage on all magic duties was much more fun). Has the best, most developed-feeling dungeons out of the NES games. The interface kind of stinks in general, but the game's substance is good so I still like it.

FF2 - The character-building makes the game a little slow; you do have to work your way through random encounters while laboriously pumping up each character's MP and spellcasting abilities (thankfully the amount of fights you're given are enough, you don't have to grind extra on top of that). Still a good game but it was probably the least interesting and distinctive of these first six. Has the coolest general atmosphere and narrative out of the NES games.

FF3 - This game's quick dungeons, heavy emphasis on enforced variety (the wild and sweeping changes you frequently have to make to your party's class composition sometimes feels like you're working with new party members entirely), and its more developed boss fights make this feel more like the SNES games. The final dungeon was a little too long (something like a saveless two-hour battle with bosses that can wipe you out on turn 1 if you don't have foreknowledge) but I felt like this might have been the best of the NES games on balance, even if I like 1's concept more.

FF4 - Strong mechanics, and has clever use of storytelling through the framework of established FF gameplay systems which I found really interesting. Alongside how distinctly your party evolves throughout the game as you gain and lose characters, in a more structured and directed way than in FF3, I loved how excellent this game's bosses start becoming from around the halfway point on, and the final third or so of the game is full of top-level dungeons and boss fights; I'd rank that slice as some of the best JRPG content I've played. Now of my favorites in the genre.

FF5 - The best character-building and boss battles in the series yet. Never matches the total high point of the last stretch of FF4 (because they can't balance it around a fixed party like you have in that game, I guess), but it's consistently better than that game, with tons of inventive, interesting scenarios.

FF6 - Maybe due a replay since unlike 1 I haven't replayed this for a few years. My feeling on it was that it becomes great once you hit the world of ruin and things become open-ended, but that its heavier focus on story and guided, cinematic scenarios drew it a little too far away from FF dungeon crawling fundamentals in the first 40% of its runtime. Not as cool as FF4 or 5. Obviously has the best plot and soundtrack of the series (so far) but I think these games are more interesting for their mechanics and pacing than their story.

Mystic Quest lol - Very simple but I thought this game was cute; it has enough variety and development to sustain its runtime, for the most part. A few of its later dungeons were overlong (the game needed the moment-to-moment pacing and variety of Mario RPG for its very light combat system to hold up through longer dungeons) but I think it's a pretty decent game, if not really up to the standards of the proper entries.

I don't have the setup to play PS1 games at the moment but I definitely want to continue on with the series. I get the feeling that future entries are going to feel a bit more like FF6 than FF4 or 5 but they should still be interesting to play regardless.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Finished up the Mario RPG remake (first time playthrough, fuck you Nintendo for not bothering to release it in Europe) and, while the main story is basically "baby's first JRPG" it's delightful to play through... aside from the fact that it does require you to traverse an isometric space with analogue controls, and does nothing to snap you to a sensible centre. Cue a lot of falling off things by just trying to turn Mario, or find what's on the same plane. It doesn't punish you so it's a mild annoyance at least. Also one section where you get clues to a puzzle... that's missing a vital quality of life update - being able to re-read the clues from inventory. It's not 1996 anymore, we're not playing with a pen and paper... are we? :lol: It's nice and brisk, over in about 15 hours even with stopping to chat to every NPC to see if they have boring/bonkers dialogue. It's very silly, which I certainly appreciated.

However I've dipped into the postgame and.... yeah, I'm out. I've hit a boss that you can only damage with perfectly timed attacks, and whose attacks insta-kill unless you perfect block. What damage you can do is low so it's just a slog of perfect timing or whoops, game over. Why design this so the main game is flexible and pathetically easy but the postgame is rigid and evil?? This fight isn't even a test of JRPG skillz, it's literally just button timing and I have both past-their-prime reflexes and no sense of rhythm :lol:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The Dragoon Boots + Horn combo doesn't get mentioned enough. Mog just pogo-sticking everything into oblivion, and they say Disgaea games let you get overpowered...

Job systems were a really helpful innovation. One of the worst feel-bad moments is in an Etrian Odyssey game is where you unlock a new class half way through the game, but you've already created and invested days of your life into the current party. You have to use cheat codes if you want to use them from the start, as the game is designed for you to want to do.

A game like Dragon Quest 3 gets a lot of replay value from being able to have lots of different party compositions. But I suppose it would subjectively be a problem if there were 3,000 different units you could use. How long would you have to live and care to ever use most of them. (It works great with short games like Holocure, but these 60+ hour long epics not so much.) A classic design problem with variety.

Mode change system? You can have a small group of 10 to 20 main characters that a story can support, and give them all stupid alternative forms.

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:13 pmaside from the fact that it does require you to traverse an isometric space with analogue controls

Eh?! The d-pad doesn't work?!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Well bugger me, just checked again and it does work with joycons! I'd been playing docked with an xbox controller (via magicNS) and it didn't recognise the d-pad for movement.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BryanM wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:51 am
Eh?! The d-pad doesn't work?!
Sounds like Links Awakening S. Link can only move in 8 directions but you're forced to use the analog stick. The DPad only uselessly pans the camera around.

That remake had a lot of incredibly stupid control decisions.

Shield is 2 shoulder buttons.
Pegasus Boots is 2 shoulder buttons.
You can still only select 2 items in an era where controllers have at minimum button 14 inputs.
As mentioned, DPad pans the camera in a top down 2D game.
Right analog has zero functions mapped to it in any capacity.

Stupid.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I'm getting balls deep in Earthbound for the first time. I know the fans wish they could be me.

It sounds ridiculous but it's actually much better than I expected. I don't know what my deal was but ever since my buddy showed me the strat guide in high school I kind of wrote the game off as a piss take. 'Oh its like Final Fantast but jokey? Okay...'.

I guess my main takes are:
(1) the story is actually serious despite the quirky tone and the pacing is very good.
(2) Technically it is quite impressive for an SNES game (interesting to read about how Iwata rescued it from development hell).
(3) I'm surprised how much of a legit Dragon Quest RPG it is in terms of difficulty. You have to watch your shit in a new area or you will get curb stomped.
(4) Despite (3) it still finds unique was to innovate the console RPG formula and offer interesting and bespoke 'encounters?' in almost every area.

If you dig old-school JRPGs and have not played this, tune out the hype and give it a go. Fun game.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Earthbound rules. One of my favorites in the genre for sure; even putting aside its excellent vibe, its pacing is excellent, as you say, and it has probably the best beginning in the genre, out of the stuff I've played. It throws you right in the action immediately without a slow start (even Chrono Trigger and the SNES Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games don't manage this) with its consequential and dangerous fights, both regular enemies and bosses, right out of the gate once you enter town.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I bounced off Earthbound every time I played it. Not because I didn't like it, but because it didn't manage to hold on to me for some reason.

Last time I gave it an attempt was when it dropped on the WiiU virtual console, and Nintendo were giving it away practically for free. I made it further than I'd ever before, and I was able to see how awesome it was if nothing else then for its quirky world building and funny ideas.
But I eventually just stopped coming back to it, and never finished it, stopping shortly after you get to play as that mystical martial arts guy.

The best reason I can give is that its pacing probably didnt do its job for me. Maybe some time in the future :/ I really do want to experience it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Earthbound's a good game. I've always thought of the Mother games as some of my faves, though admittedly I think M2 is the weakest of the three games. It doesn't mix quirkiness and emotion together as well as the other two do, and the inventory system forces you to carry way more key items than you really ought to (with item depositing being a bit of a pain compared to the first and third game where you can freely deposit key items such as the Cash Card when you have tons of money). The rolling HP system is pretty fun... but you don't have enough HP to really get the most out of how it works until 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the game. Mother 3 slows the HP rolling down so it's more relevant early on in the game and the way it works means it's still functional all the way to the endgame.

The main complaint Mother 1 generally gets is its encounter rate is too high, but you eventually get several reliable options to bypass fights when you like, with the Teleport spell letting you run through the entire endgame dungeon if you like fighting a fraction of the enemies. M2/Earthbound no longer allows this, with no equivalent to 4th-D-Slip, Super Bombs (instant kill to all enemies), or Repel Rings, and reserving the Teleport spell to being used only in outdoors areas.
Sumez wrote:stopping shortly after you get to play as that mystical martial arts guy.
I'd argue that's where the game is at its best; you have enough characters that inventory limitations are a thing of the past, and the remaining bits of the game are pretty fun.

The monkey dungeon where you have to carry specific items to trade, only to discover you have to go back to town if you're not carrying a key item you've used once ages ago, is a bit of a drag. Fortunately there's no noteworthy fights to deal with, it's just a silly puzzle/maze thing.