Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ryu

Re: Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Post by ryu »

I just stopped buying Pokemon games the moment I realized they were going down hill hard. That was over 10 years ago.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I just stopped buying Pokemon games the moment I realized they were going down hill hard. That was over 26 years ago.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Mechanically, the multiplayer aspect was always the most unique gimmick they had. The combat mechanics outside of multiplayer weren't really spectacular, and building a team for optimal multiplayer was a dreary slog or needed external tools.

I recommend this FAQ that generally goes in depth for PvP while summing up the problems of its PvP: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gameboy/9 ... faqs/20844

It's much the same with deckbuilding games like Magic the Gathering, except unlike where MtG forces you to spend untold amounts of money, Pokémon expects you to spend untold amounts of time (unless playing in a level limited tourney, but even then it's a slog to teach a multiple team members the TMs that show up once per game).

As far as a single player game goes, once you realized the core of the game was "let's market cockfighting to children" the games aren't terribly appealing. Much of the popularity I suspect is more down to the cute/cool monster designs, and nobody stopping to think terribly hard about the ethics of capturing them and forcing them to fight each other.

We had far better RPGs at the time Pokémon was made such as the SaGa games.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

ryu wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:09 am I just stopped buying Pokemon games the moment I realized they were going down hill hard. That was over 10 years ago.
Thankfully I didn't buy this. It was lent to me. I haven't bought a Pokemon title since Black (that last decent one).