Star Soldier, PS2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dbd

Star Soldier, PS2

Post by dbd »

I haven't looked this up at all, so this is more a comment, but if anyone can be assed posting a reply then that's obviously cool,

I'm playing this and having a right good time, picking up more and more weapons, and they are getting more and more destuctive and then - all of sudden I pick up some upgrade, and my entire weapons system changed! My flow was botched, and I got all stuttery, trying to figure out how to fire these new guns.......wtf?!

Anyone know what the hell that was all about ?!

I know it wasn't that I hit some enemy or fire and lost the array, because the whole method of what button did what completely changed........

it was kinda funny tho'.

This game also has this great feature in it, unlocks of old Japanese game and hardware adverts! Well that's what the first one is anyway, I haven't been back at it, since I did my usual 'check and make sure it all works and get a gander at the levels and demos etc' thing.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Hmm. You probably picked up the hidden Laser weapon, near the end of the first level. Unlike with the normal weapon, you don't need to keep tapping the fire button to get maximum firepower. Just hold the button down and the laserstream cuts even bosses down fast.

But you can't get certain score bonuses with it, so most people stick with the classic 5-way shot.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
dbd

re:

Post by dbd »

That sounds very like what happened,

I am going to try avoiding it next time, it doesn't do nearly as much damage, and not in enough directions either.

Unfortunately, I forget what it looks like.

And now I'm thinking it must crop up in other levels too, oh no!
Ghegs

Re: re:

Post by Ghegs »

dbd wrote: And now I'm thinking it must crop up in other levels too, oh no!
If I remember right, there are only two Laser-powerups in the whole game: the one in the first level and the other in sixth level. If you're playing for score it's useless and if you've got a controller with autofire (like I do) you won't even need it to give your hand a rest.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
sffan

Post by sffan »

Yeah, that laser does lots of damage even though it looks like it just fires through stuff. I don't know why they couldn't do some collision effect with the laser.
postman

Post by postman »

I recently bought this game, and was going to ask if the laser showed up anywhere else but level one, now I need to go look for it on level six......the laser is great in strength but sucks for attack range.

Anyone else find the power up system very odd? Get about 4 "p"s to upgrade the ship to 5 way fire and shields, but then after each hit, you can't recharge the shield or upgrade weapons again until you die......I find this very strange........it's like they are trying to force people to 1 life the game.

Also, has anyone beat hard or god mode yet? I tried hard the other day, man does it get tough!
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

postman wrote:...it's like they are trying to force people to 1 life the game.
Musta borrowed the notion from Gradius. :P
postman

Post by postman »

Or R-Type even........ :lol:

But I did make an immeditae comparison to Gradius when playing this game - you are very screwed if you lose a life in a difficult section. The initial shot is quite the pea shooter, and power ups in this game are too few and far between IMO. I hate fighting the last boss first form with no powerups......true you can use the burst shot, but he still takes a while to kill........
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

postman wrote: Anyone else find the power up system very odd? Get about 4 "p"s to upgrade the ship to 5 way fire and shields, but then after each hit, you can't recharge the shield or upgrade weapons again until you die......I find this very strange........it's like they are trying to force people to 1 life the game.
I seem to remember after getting the 5-way fire and shields, each following hit just eats up the shield (three times worth) and then you can pick up another powerup for 5-way fire and max. shields again. So it's worth getting hit on purpose sometimes, if you're down to your last shield and there's a powerup nearby.

My videos