M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BEAMLORD

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by BEAMLORD »

Excellent news. Great to have Outzone confirmed as imminent, been a longtime most-wanted of mine. Any word on an ETA?
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is old footage from Tokyo Game Show. It isn't Tatsujin Ou + Out Zone. The M2 dude I spoke to there even said that that would be a super weird combination and that they want to put games together that actually make sense.

Kubota even says at 1:17:08 that they are not putting that combination out.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Ah.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So they just had a stream and announced nothing? Weak :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:59 am This is old footage from Tokyo Game Show. It isn't Tatsujin Ou + Out Zone. The M2 dude I spoke to there even said that that would be a super weird combination and that they want to put games together that actually make sense.
Thanks for the clarification! Honestly, I'm happy to hear - the thought put into each of these collections has been so endearing. I'll get 'em on sight no matter what, but I'd like them to continue as they started.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:59 am This is old footage from Tokyo Game Show. It isn't Tatsujin Ou + Out Zone. The M2 dude I spoke to there even said that that would be a super weird combination and that they want to put games together that actually make sense.

The next time i'll have a mission for you.
You must reveal to M2 a great truth about their reality... which may shock them, that, on the other side of the ocean, there are other lands, inhabited by other humans.
I know they believe the world ends where Japan ends but this is necessary, they have to release all their games worldwide!
You can do it? :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:24 pm
Thanks for the clarification! Honestly, I'm happy to hear - the thought put into each of these collections has been so endearing. I'll get 'em on sight no matter what, but I'd like them to continue as they started.
They still miss weird stuff on occasion, though, like the Switch Daioujou menu oddness. They are generally pretty good, though.
Lemnear wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:45 pm

You must reveal to M2 a great truth about their reality... which may shock them, that, on the other side of the ocean, there are other lands, inhabited by other humans.
I know they believe the world ends where Japan ends but this is necessary, they have to release all their games worldwide!
Uh...

probably not lol. I met Horii and Kubota once almost two years ago and we talked about how expensive Saturn games are for a bit, but that's it. There was also the dude at Tokyo Game Show, but I don't know who he was.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:14 pm
BIL wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:24 pm
They still miss weird stuff on occasion, though, like the Switch Daioujou menu oddness. They are generally pretty good, though.
Lemnear wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:45 pm

Uh...

probably not lol. I met Horii and Kubota once almost two years ago and we talked about how expensive Saturn games are for a bit, but that's it. There was also the dude at Tokyo Game Show, but I don't know who he was.
T__T
Oh they will stay in Matrix.

So, no single Toaplan game but bundled mmh Batsugun/Dogyuun!Batsugun/Dogyuun!Batsugun/Dogyuun!Batsugun/Dogyuun!
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Thank you for saving me the time of confirming what I thought would be the case. That being said, since they did exhibit Tatsujin Oh and Out Zone, it seems reasonable to guess that one of those is probably in the next Toaplan Arcade Garage collection. Likely either a Tatsujin 2-pack, or Outzone/Fixeight, right? And maybe that's a sign that whichever of those isn't volume 4 may be volume 5.

I'm really curious about where they end up sticking the Snow Bros games. Maybe since Snow Bros. 1 is Toaplan's most well known non-STG (and honestly, one of their more well known titles period), that gets paired with a more obscure STG double-feature to attract more attention? Something like Daisenpuu(Twin Hawk) & Vimana with Snow Bros as the DLC title? That's what I'd do if I was in M2's shoes...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Honestly, I would pair Snow Bros. with its sequel and make the shmup the bonus game (though M2 probably won't do that).
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:13 am

Thank you for saving me the time of confirming what I thought would be the case. That being said, since they did exhibit Tatsujin Oh and Out Zone, it seems reasonable to guess that one of those is probably in the next Toaplan Arcade Garage collection. Likely either a Tatsujin 2-pack, or Outzone/Fixeight, right? And maybe that's a sign that whichever of those isn't volume 4 may be volume 5.

I'm really curious about where they end up sticking the Snow Bros games. Maybe since Snow Bros. 1 is Toaplan's most well known non-STG (and honestly, one of their more well known titles period), that gets paired with a more obscure STG double-feature to attract more attention? Something like Daisenpuu(Twin Hawk) & Vimana with Snow Bros as the DLC title? That's what I'd do if I was in M2's shoes...
I think it is very likely that Tatsujin + Tatsujin Ou or Out Zone + FixEight will be next. I'm personally guessing it's Tatsujin + Tatsujin Ou + Dash Yarou, but Out Zone + FixEight + extra game wouldn't surprise me.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BrianC wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:42 am Honestly, I would pair Snow Bros. with its sequel and make the shmup the bonus game (though M2 probably won't do that).
Not the craziest idea - but yeah, agreed that M2 probably won't do that. They do still have the "ShotTriggers" branding on the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases, which to me feels like they kinda HAVE to feature the STGs. Also would throw off the 2 shooters + 1 non-shooter formula they have followed thus far, and would continue to be a clean 8 volumes of the same approach. No reason that's mandatory, and I've also thought of stuff like... could they do 3 shooters in a volume? Batsugun by itself for a more ShotTriggers-style release? I don't think either of those would be especially likely either, but I guess we'll see! All just speculation on my part.

But hey, who knows, maybe they could do something like the below, with more "expected" 2 shooter pairings for vol 4 7 8, and a couple tweaks to the formula with the below vol 5 and 6.
Vol 4: Tatsujin + Tatsujin Oh + Dash Yarou
Vol 5: Outzone + Fixeight + Daisenpuu
Vol 6: Snow Bros + Snow Bros 2 + Vimana
Vol 7: Slap Fight + V-V + Knuckle Bash
Vol 8: Batsugun + Dogyuun + Ghox

Lot of interesting questions though. Release schedule is always interesting too: since we've already seen demos with Tatsujin Oh and Outzone, maybe 2024 gets two Toaplan Arcade Garage releases? Or do they do a 1 Toaplan + 1 non-Toaplan ShotTriggers year like 2023 again (good balance, IMO)? Are we gonna see Senjin Aleste or Aleste Branch this year, and are they under the ShotTriggers label?
Steven wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:51 amI'm personally guessing it's Tatsujin + Tatsujin Ou + Dash Yarou
I'd love that. I really hope Dash Yarou is with Vol.4!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Definitely need Dash Yarou, and preferably soon.

BTW don't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but that weird 2P Kyuukyoku Tiger on Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli is most likely a bootleg.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Curious to see how they'll treat Snow Bros as well. It *would* be weird to split up the two games.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

When will the next Live Stream be?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Is there a rule that 2 the main games must have consumer versions as part of the DLC with the non stg?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Seeing as about 42% of all Toaplan games don't have a consumer version, I would say no. That's not counting those bootleg mahjong games Toaplan made or Performan, which Tatsujin doesn't have the license to; count those and the percentage will be even higher.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Where do Air Gallet and Twin Cobra II stand? Twin Cobra II was started at Toaplan, but finished at Takumi and was published by Taito.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Taito has Kyuukyoku Tiger II now.

Forget about Akuu Gallet, though; from what I have heard there's basically no chance of it ever getting rereleased.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:29 am Taito has Kyuukyoku Tiger II now.
And in fact Taito just released it last week on the Egret Mini Vol.2 add-on card.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Air Gallet and Twin Cobra 2 as a bonus release at the end of the set would be amazing. But yeah, I don't see that happening :D
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:56 am
Steven wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:29 am Taito has Kyuukyoku Tiger II now.
And in fact Taito just released it last week on the Egret Mini Vol.2 add-on card.
I was very surprised when they announced that a while ago. I am still uncertain if I actually like the game or not, and it doesn't look, sound, or play anything like Kyuukyoku Tiger, but I wouldn't say it's actually a bad game.

Seeing the twin cobra in the beginning of the overseas version was really interesting, though.

It's like "Oh, that's what you meant when you called it Twin Cobra!"
Steven

Post by Steven »

New Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli patch is out. Pretty sure all it does is fix the names of the composers in Tiger-Heli.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Not sure if this was known already but Limited Run will be putting Tiger-Heli up for preorder on 1/5.
Kobz

Post by Kobz »

Based on the "Arcade Challenge" screenshot featured on the LRG product page, it looks like this version does indeed feature an English translation, which was assumed but not explicitly confirmed previously: https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... r-heli-ps4

This makes me more interested in an inevitable digital release of the English version, and I hope it's a sign that more ShotTriggers collections will receive translations and official releases outside Japan.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I had no interest in the LRG version of KyuTiger Heli... until I saw today that the deluxe edition has a soundtrack CD. Which is a little silly, since I have all 11 volumes of the Toaplan OST CDs from Clarice Disc, but it calls to me anyway. Wonder if they'll also include the two chibi-tech remixes included in the in-game menus/initial splash screen...

And TBH, I would seriously consider using the KT keychain for my actual keys. Currently have a cheap acrylic Sega Saturn logo keychain from a capsule machine :)
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Wasn't it the case that the DLC for this (and Hishou Same³) came as a download code for the PS4 version (as opposed to Switch having everything on cart)? Unless LRG just copypasta'ed the details for both editions, that may mean the PS4 version here is more complete than the initial JP release, from an extras standpoint.

I'd be willing to double-dip if Teki Paki were included on cart/disc, but it's not looking like that will happen. I've got enough download codes to last my next two Switches, but having it on a physical medium would be nice.

And that actually got me thinking: with all the speculation about which games will appear on future volumes, I wonder if they'll decide to swap Teki Paki out with something else at some point. I know almost nothing about Toaplan's non-STG repertoire, so I don't know what it would be, but it was just a thought that occurred.

Also:
LRG Website wrote:The first of the two Tiger games and also the first ever STG Toplan produced, Tiger-Heli revolutionized the genre by introducing the bomb, paving the way for many a STG that came later.
Movie trailer voice:
In A.D. 1985, Tiger-Heli revolutionized the STG by introducing the bomb.

In A.D. 2101, somebody set up us the bomb...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I thought Defender introduced the bomb back in 1981.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Potentially? I'd be surprised if there weren't more games in the first half of the 1980s that experimented with some sort of "bomb" mechanic too. Claims of "the first to do X" or "revolutionizing the genre by doing Y" are a bit tough to back up if made outside the context of a full historical overview (and without defining what exactly a "bomb" means/should do in the game). Especially if they're part of marketing copy.

One thing that's really interesting about Tiger-Heli's bombs, though, is how they're actually attached to the sides of your ship and can be detonated by enemy fire. I can't think of any other games that implement bombs like that, as opposed to just abstracting your bomb stock away behind a counter until you hit the button to deploy one.