M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Sumez »

This really is a definitive collec
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

All the smoke blown up M2's ass results in little but important things like Super Contra's fucked up display options in the Contra collection being overlooked.
I'd like to see that and this fixed, then I'll join in on gobbing them off.
MJR

Post by MJR »

The unexpected happened and I fell in love with Zero Wing. I guess this is because I have already burned myself out with Hellfire PCB that I've been playing for years and years. But I never played Zero Wing much, and wasn't even aware of it in my Megadrive days - I had Hellfire for megadrive, though, and the 2P arcade was my first contact with the game back in the 80's.

I was never a big fan of the "bullet sponge" -shmups, and Zero Wing certainly had almost an amiga feel to it due to it's enemies taking forever to kill. But I should have known that since this is Toaplan, the game would have more thought put into it than what's on the surface.

So yeah, I am slowly getting better on it. I am surprised, though, that I got 10-up extend a second time in a row :D
Even found Pipiru twice. And I just love the music.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It seems that the next Toaplan collection will be playable at Tokyo Game Show.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

That would be nice. Where did you get that Information?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nicey nicey! :o Thrilled they made it even this far... Tiger Heli, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Hishouzame, Same3, Hellfire and Zero Wing, plus Teki Paki, Get Star, Wardner and Horror Story, with many regional variants and assorted console ports, is already a nice fat chunk of the catalogue; way beyond what I'd expected. TBH I was fully prepared for this to end after TAGv1, the historical symmetry with TSBv1 seemed irresistible. :lol: Seeing them motoring towards and over the halfway line in a few short years has been my favourite thing lately.

Apropos of nothing, I'm guessing it's Tatsujin Tennou [insert other appropriately deific title here] ? Honestly, I'd like to see Vimana+Daisenpu, just for the sheer combined improbability and annoyance it'd cause... :mrgreen:
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BIL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:40 pm Nicey nicey! :o Thrilled they made it even this far... Tiger Heli, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Hishouzame, Same3, Hellfire and Zero Wing, plus Teki Paki, Get Star, Wardner and Horror Story, with many regional variants and assorted console ports, is already a nice fat chunk of the catalogue; way beyond what I'd expected. TBH I was fully prepared for this to end after TAGv1, the historical symmetry with TSBv1 seemed irresistible. :lol: Seeing them motoring towards and over the halfway line in a few short years has been my favourite thing lately.

Apropos of nothing, I'm guessing it's Tatsujin Tennou [insert other appropriately deific title here] ? Honestly, I'd like to see Vimana+Daisenpu, just for the sheer combined improbability and annoyance it'd cause... :mrgreen:
Daisenpu huh? Hmmm with Vimana? LOL, I think I would LOVE that combo, but it would probably not sell many copies...
Steven

Post by Steven »

gbaplayer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:37 pm That would be nice. Where did you get that Information?
Tatsujin's Youtube channel.
XtraSmiley wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:36 pm
BIL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:40 pm Nicey nicey! :o Thrilled they made it even this far... Tiger Heli, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Hishouzame, Same3, Hellfire and Zero Wing, plus Teki Paki, Get Star, Wardner and Horror Story, with many regional variants and assorted console ports, is already a nice fat chunk of the catalogue; way beyond what I'd expected. TBH I was fully prepared for this to end after TAGv1, the historical symmetry with TSBv1 seemed irresistible. :lol: Seeing them motoring towards and over the halfway line in a few short years has been my favourite thing lately.

Daisenpu huh? Hmmm with Vimana? LOL, I think I would LOVE that combo, but it would probably not sell many copies...
It would if the title screen looked like this

gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

What do you think will be included in the next collection? I really hope for Ouzone/Fixeight or Tatsujin/Tatsujin Oh or Dogyuun/Batsugun.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I hope for one of your first two choices as I'd buy either of those, but not Dogyuun/Batsugun.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Dogyuun!! has amazing music and graphics, though...

Anyway, forget about all of those games, it's time for the Toaplan game that everyone REALLY wants

Dash Yarou
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I suspect Outzone and Fixeight will be DLC over two releases, rather than featuring on the same collection.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Why? :shock:
Steven

Post by Steven »

*is listening to Toaplan music and way too much drinking caffeine when he should be sleeping because he has to go back to work in a few hours*

*Space High Arrange Version comes along*

FUCK YEAH SPACE HIGH

Now I really want Vimana, mostly because Space High is incredible and Vimana PCBs are pretty expensive now. I actually like Vimana, though.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I'm wondering if they'll group 3 games together for those titles lacking home ports.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

gbaplayer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:07 pm Why? :shock:
If they offer those as the main games, the DLC game would have to be quite something to justify its price, since neither Outzone or Fixeight have consumer versions. So it's my assertion those two will be DLC split over two releases because they're in demand and M2 will 'get away' with putting those out at the normal price and then there's also the fact they aren't ship based games.
Last edited by AGermanArtist on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

After Truxton and Twin Hawk, it's slim pickings in terms of home ports. Snow Bros could probably fill the extras in for one otherwise sparse paring though.

I assume they're pair them up as:

Truxton/Truxton 2
Slap Fight/Grind Stormer
Twin Hawk/Vimana
Outzone/Fixeight *
Batsugun/Dogyuun *

Remaining other Toaplan (that aren't eroge - can't imagine they'll put those out):

Snow Bros
Snow Bros 2
Rally Bike
Ghox
Knuckle Bash
Performan

* No home versions - so I'd guess one will get Snow Bros, the other will get two bonus arcade games?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 pm It seems that the next Toaplan collection will be playable at Tokyo Game Show.
M2 did say in the recent DOJ stream that they'll be at Tatsujin's booth at TGS. So I guess this would be the reason?
TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:38 pmPerforman
I suspect Performan might not be on any of these collections. Toaplan was never even credited on the original arcade release, which was published by Data East. Stands to reason that very old game + potential IP issues = no Performan. That would also make for a nice clean structure of 8 total volumes of 2 shooters + 1 non-shooter. Maybe they'll do something more creative like releasing a couple volumes with more games, but I've seen no reason to expect that yet.

I'm not sure lack of home ports matters a ton. Those have been part of the paid DLC packs for the download versions, or included with the retail releases... but they could just price the DLC and retail releases a little lower to account for no home ports of Outzone, Fixeight, and Dogyuun. FWIW, also not expecting Batsugun's Saturn port to show up in this series.
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:00 am
Steven wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 pm It seems that the next Toaplan collection will be playable at Tokyo Game Show.
M2 did say in the recent DOJ stream that they'll be at Tatsujin's booth at TGS. So I guess this would be the reason?
Most likely. There will be a lot of stuff happening at Tatsujin's booth this time: Uemura-san is playing live music, M2 is going to be there I guess, Joe is going to talk about the Toaplan documentary, Tatsujin is announcing their new game... it will be a busy time for them. Is anyone going to this? I actually have an extra free ticket for the 24th that I haven't been able to give away. Everyone I know is either presenting at Tatsujin's booth and therefore doesn't need a ticket or doesn't want to go, so if someone wants to go on the 24th and doesn't have a ticket, let me know and I'll just give it to you.

Tatsujin doesn't have the rights to Performan, so that will probably not show up unless they can get the rights.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Do you think Vol. 4 will be the Tatsujin/Truxton Arcade Garage? I think So, because of the recent announcement of Truxton Extreme.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Tatsujin double pack with Snow Bros as the bonus game maybe?
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Will there be a new stream at the time of TGS? Or when do you think will we receive information regarding Vol. 4?
doodledude

Post by doodledude »

gbaplayer wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:57 am Will there be a new stream at the time of TGS? Or when do you think will we receive information regarding Vol. 4?
New stream on Thursday!
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Tatsujin double with Fixeight and Megadrive/Genesis/TG16/PC-E versions of Tatsujin and the FM Marty version of Tatsujin 2.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Why no Outzone?
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Maybe Vol 5
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

I wonder why they would not bundle Outzone and Fixeight together?
CRP

Post by CRP »

AGermanArtist wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:10 pm Tatsujin double with Fixeight and Megadrive/Genesis/TG16/PC-E versions of Tatsujin and the FM Marty version of Tatsujin 2.
Whats the source ?
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I thought we were just pondering lol
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Shocked that people didn't realize that was pure speculation. FM Towns Marty should have given it away lol.