New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Proje

Post by Sumez »

Your opinion isn't dumb, I never said that. I just don't understand it.

- It's a game news site's "job" to report any news for video games that they find relevant for their audience.
- This is a really cool new trailer, it showcases a lot of aspects to the game the earlier footage didn't, so I can see why it's relevant.
- There's no English equivalent available (yet), but it's a cool trailer, so waiting for a translated one to potentially drop is out of the question.

So there's a Japanese language trailer dropped for a game that's already been promoted in the west using a specific title, and to boot it's a semi-upgrade/sequel to a game that's already popular under that localized title. It would be really weird to not use the title that a vast majority of their audience is already familiar with because the trailer isn't in English.
Having people with an interest in the game potentially miss out on the announcement because they aren't aware of the Japanese title would seem more misleading to me. :)

Either way, when sharing stuff like this I'd just link the YouTube video, rather than an external article saying the video exists. Problem solved :P
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Looks like the cutscenes in the USA version also cover up those unseemly goddess boobs so as to protect our young boys (and girls?) from lusting after women when they grow up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: - This is a really cool new trailer, it showcases a lot of aspects to the game the earlier footage didn't, so I can see why it's relevant.
But with all the descriptions in Japanese text, so someone expecting to see an explanation of the new systems in English will be disappointed. My point is that it should say in the headline that the video is in Japanese.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They clearly don't think localization is what's important but rather the game itself. And game fans importing things from Japan since the mid-90s because they only care about the gameplay set precedent for this an incredibly long time ago.

Nobody's attacking you, your viewpoint is just definitely different and likely surprising to most players in this niche.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bigbadboaz wrote:They clearly don't think localization is what's important but rather the game itself. And game fans importing things from Japan since the mid-90s because they only care about the gameplay set precedent for this an incredibly long time ago.

Nobody's attacking you, your viewpoint is just definitely different and likely surprising to most players in this niche.
Completely missed what I'm trying to say. I wasn't talking about the localization of the game itself. I was talking about how game sites like Nintendolife.com constanltly use the US title for JP games, even ones that don't have an official title and link to untranslated videos without making it clear what version it is before you click on it. I don't mind watching JP videos of games, but I want to know what I'm clicking on BEFORE I click it.

I'm sorry that you can't respect that I find the way sites like Nintendolife play fast and loose with game titles confusing. I'm even more frustrated that I attempted to explain myself and people incorrectly assume that I only play localized games.

BTW, wanting to know more about gameplay is why I want to read the text in that video! The video is about gameplay systems! I was disappointed because the link only mentioned gameplay systems only to bring me to a similar link to Nintendolife with me still being in the dark on the full extent of what the gameplay systems actually are.

I also feel that a lot of localizations AREN'T the same game. That mostly isn't true today, but the censorship of artwork in the US version of Pocky and Rocky Reshrined (that may or not be in the English version included with the JP version) is an example of a difference, even if it's only a slight one.

edit: sorry, I misread some of your post. It's just that I wasn't expecting this to escalate and I didn't expect people to find my opinion "odd" because they find it "stupid" that I would click on a link with a US game name and release date and expect a US trailer or click on something that says "gameplay systems" and expect to read about gameplay systems.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Woof ^
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Your opinion isn't dumb, I never said that. I just don't understand it.
Nobody said it, they just gave "I don't understand it, so it's invalid" disapproval replies...and I try to defend myself and get more of the same for no good reason...
bigbadboaz wrote: Nobody's attacking you, your viewpoint is just definitely different and likely surprising to most players in this niche.
I find your replies surprising. I try to explain why I find the use of US titles to refer to the JP version of a game confusing after I get a reply that simply "corrects" me with no explanation. Personally, I find that incredibly rude and off putting. I don't understand why my opinion is against the niche. Nintendolife has been infamous for clickbaity articles. I didn't say I had anything against JP trailers, just that using the western name for the game doesn't make it clear that the trailer is in Japanese. When I said that I feel it's misleading, it's odd? Even though there's nothing to suggest the trailer is Japanese until I click it?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BrianC wrote:
Sumez wrote:Your opinion isn't dumb, I never said that. I just don't understand it.
Nobody said it, they just gave "I don't understand it, so it's invalid" disapproval replies...and I try to defend myself and get more of the same for no good reason...
bigbadboaz wrote: Nobody's attacking you, your viewpoint is just definitely different and likely surprising to most players in this niche.
I find your replies surprising. I try to explain why I find the use of US titles to refer to the JP version of a game confusing after I get a reply that simply "corrects" me with no explanation. Personally, I find that incredibly rude and off putting. I don't understand why my opinion is against the niche. Nintendolife has been infamous for clickbaity articles. I didn't say I had anything against JP trailers, just that using the western name for the game doesn't make it clear that the trailer is in Japanese. When I said that I feel it's misleading, it's odd? Even though there's nothing to suggest the trailer is Japanese until I click it?
I fully understand your point and opinion, and I do NOT disapprove of it. I just think, who cares? (well, other than you I guess)

Game sites are probably barely making any money and are likely paying their staff peanuts. You're going to get on their ass about editorial decisions? Eh. I do think you're right about this by the way, but again, who cares? If it's that much of an annoyance, why not contact the site and tell them? It might spur the editor into doing it the right way next time.

Odds are though, if they used the Japanese name for this game, they'd get tons less click traffic and give up what little ad money they already get, so likely, they will ignore the one person who seems to be bothered by this to keep the money incoming. Just a guess on my part though, I don't have any insider information.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

COVER THAT UP! :lol:

pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

EmperorIng wrote:COVER THAT UP! :lol:

i like how on the same screen they put the cleavage version (in the background) and the censored one. I guess its a matter of pixel count that decides what is covered or not.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Lazy censorship. lol
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Not good enough. She needs to be in a burqa. I still see her shoulder and neck! This is not okay.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I don't understand this obsession with hiding cleavage lately. I mean 80s and 90s Disney movies had it! Ame no Uzume looks flatter than Lina Inverse with the censorship.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If you think about it, the censorship is accurate to what was happening during the 90s in western localizations like FF III. Now all we need are some nonsensical balance changes and ugly box art to make the nostalgia real.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:Now all we need are some nonsensical balance changes and ugly box art to make the nostalgia real.
And of course said box art needs to include an unsanctioned traced celebrity photo or two; Pocky needs to look like Ripley in a bathrobe.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Where's Working Designs when you need them?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Rastan78 wrote: and ugly box art to make the nostalgia real.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

she needs angrier eyebrows :evil:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

drauch wrote:Where's Working Designs when you need them?
They would just add dated references and dirty jokes.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Was excited for this game, very disappointed by the boob news (only at Shmups can I find the real information I need).
Gamer707b wrote:I'm glad I won't be paying any douche $550.00+ on a complete Snes copy
Dayum, I sold all of my stuff way too early.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Famitsu gives it a 30
Presumably the reviewer who gave it a 6 was a Nopino goblin.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Is there anywhere to preorder the North American physical version that doesn't involve Amazon?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Is there anywhere to preorder the North American physical version that doesn't involve Amazon?
You could also try:

Gamestop PS4 Switch

Deep Discount DVD PS4 Switch
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

pablumatic wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:Is there anywhere to preorder the North American physical version that doesn't involve Amazon?
You could also try:

Gamestop PS4 Switch

Deep Discount DVD PS4 Switch
Thanks. Gamestop doesn't seem to be offering it for preorder yet here in Soviet Canuckistan. But if Gamestop is doing it, then it looks like this is being distributed like some kind of actual video game or something, so maybe my local mom & pop will be able to snag me a copy. In the end I'd much rather support them than any of the corpos anyway. I've been going to them for decades and they're within walking distance, but they're falling on hard times (only open 3 days a week now) and it would suck to lose them.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another Canadian option: PS4 - Switch
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

This launches in 10 minutes in Japan. Not sure when my copy will dispatch though, but if anyone has it on Switch or has it preloaded if they could check the intellectual property notices from the home menu that would be great. It should tell us if it's on Unity again.

Ninja Warriors Once Again and Wild Guns Reloaded were both on Unity, and while they were pretty solid as far as Unity remakes go, they were not without issues, including an inability to lock to 60fps and a small amount of input delay. Hopefully Kikikaikai is solid though.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

My copy from Playasia shipped last night, so I hope to see it within a week myself.
jehu

Post by jehu »

harborline765 wrote:This launches in 10 minutes in Japan. Not sure when my copy will dispatch though, but if anyone has it on Switch or has it preloaded if they could check the intellectual property notices from the home menu that would be great. It should tell us if it's on Unity again.

Ninja Warriors Once Again and Wild Guns Reloaded were both on Unity, and while they were pretty solid as far as Unity remakes go, they were not without issues, including an inability to lock to 60fps and a small amount of input delay. Hopefully Kikikaikai is solid though.
It's Unity again, but the game feels pretty good after a 10 minute test drive.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Playing the JP version. It's tough. Very pretty.