I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sima Tuna

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Sima Tuna »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:43 am What are the coolest Arcade Archives beat 'em ups? I'm guessing Zero Team and Vendetta?
Mutation Nation is probably the best beat em up on the Neo-Geo. It's not as good as Zero Team or Vendetta, but it is fun and worth playing. I know some people think Sengoku 2 or 3 are better, but I don't. Growl is pretty fun. Elephant smash!

But yes, if you asked me which are the best two beat em ups on ACA, I'd unquestionably say Zero Team and Vendetta. Hopefully we can someday get ACA Night Slashers, ACA Violent Storm and ACA Undercover Cops.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Udderdude wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:16 pm Volfied inc. https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1763176311529632063
Nice. :cool: MD port was always great to have around, but the harsh SFX lets it down somewhat.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:43 am What are the coolest Arcade Archives beat 'em ups? I'm guessing Zero Team and Vendetta?
Vendetta impressed me...the level of violence it has, and the nonchalance with which it executes it is terrifying. One of my two preferred Beat-Em Up ever (Bil suggested it to me).
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Udderdude wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:16 pm Volfied inc. https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1763176311529632063
Wait...1989...NEOGEO? What i'm missing? :shock: :?:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

BrianC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:49 pm
ryu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:18 pm
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 am Allumer returns to the Arcade Archives scene: War of Aero: Project MEIOU is this week's title.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202402280045/
Are these global releases or is it only on the japanese e-shop?
I bought it on the US PSN earlier today and it's on the US Nintendo website (didn't check eshop, but should be there too).
Yep, War of Aero: Project MEIOU is avaliable on the US region Switch eShop site for $7.99 usd. None of Allumer's arcade pcb conversion pcb kits were ever sold/distributed stateside (as Allumer didn't have a proper USA arcade licensee seller/distributor to begin with).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks! I found it on the EU store too. Threw in a credit to see how it plays. Never touched it before, but it seemed fun. And it sure is if the first few stages are anything to go by. Seems to be a good game!
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Really enjoying it having never seen it in an arcade or emulated. I love how if you have level select enabled you can start at whatever level is playing in attract mode.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:52 pm
Wait...1989...NEOGEO? What i'm missing? :shock: :?:
It's not a NeoGeo game, Hamster lists both Arcade Archives and ACA NeoGeo when they announce games.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Seventh anniversary this week!
Speculations regarding this week's release?

GRADIUS 4 or Parodius Da!
ryu

Post by ryu »

Parodius Da! would be awesome. Boy do I regret selling my PSP Parodius collection.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Violent Storm would also fit the bill.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's the tenth anniversary of ACA (including the PS4-exclusive years) in just a couple months, too! Debut release was Crazy Climber back on May 15th, 2014. (hence the CC startup jingle appearing in all their lineup retrospective videos)

Wouldn't complain if they did another major Konami release, ala Gradius III / XEXEX / Mystic Warriors for Christmas 2020/21/23. :cool:

OTOH, adding digital controls to Crazy Climber would be nice too. :lol:
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

You're right. I misread the fucking Tweet.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sima Tuna wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 am
Mutation Nation is probably the best beat em up on the Neo-Geo. It's not as good as Zero Team or Vendetta, but it is fun and worth playing. I know some people think Sengoku 2 or 3 are better, but I don't. Growl is pretty fun. Elephant smash!

But yes, if you asked me which are the best two beat em ups on ACA, I'd unquestionably say Zero Team and Vendetta. Hopefully we can someday get ACA Night Slashers, ACA Violent Storm and ACA Undercover Cops.
All that is probably my answer too.

For Neo Geo, I agree with Sengoku 3 being overrated (it's beautiful, but the stage design is just too tedious and long) so Mutation Nation is probably my pick too. That being said, I wouldn't ignore Robo Army, or my personal guilty pleasure Ninja Combat.

Another dark horse pick: Jaleco's 64th Street: A Detective Story. Sort of a basic Final Fight clone, but I like it.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:32 pm It's the tenth anniversary of ACA (including the PS4-exclusive years) in just a couple months, too! Debut release was Crazy Climber back on May 15th, 2014. (hence the CC startup jingle appearing in all their lineup retrospective videos)
According to Wikipedia, Ninja Kid and Rygar were also released on May 15th, 2014 for PS4. Interesting that they don't seem to get the same love.

But yeah, interesting timing. Volfied is actually going to be the 300th Arcade Archives (non-Neo Geo) release. 299th for Switch, which never got Wonder Boy. Not exactly a massive title to celebrate that milestone.

They also had 108 ACA Neo Geo games, which would make last month's release of Silkworm #400 if counting all ACA Neo Geo + Arcade Archives.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:11 pm
BIL wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:32 pm It's the tenth anniversary of ACA (including the PS4-exclusive years) in just a couple months, too! Debut release was Crazy Climber back on May 15th, 2014. (hence the CC startup jingle appearing in all their lineup retrospective videos)
According to Wikipedia, Ninja Kid and Rygar were also released on May 15th, 2014 for PS4. Interesting that they don't seem to get the same love.
Oh yeah, damn. :o I totally overlooked that on Hamster's official list, I'm so used to the usual weekly interval.

Speaking of which, it's interesting to look back at the slower pace of those earlier years. They've really carved out a unique niche for themselves, over the decade. A fine example of "low frills" and "high quality" being complementary aims, not conflicting ones.

I wonder if CC was their pilot development title, or something along those lines. Not sure if they had the rights to Nichibutsu's catalogue all the way back then, but maybe that's relevant, too.

Regardless, Rygar will always be the flagship early ACA title to me, second I picked up after Saigo no Nindou. :cool: ACA Saigo, along with Sumez vouching for ACA Bubble Bobble, being where I finally gave the fabled "someone besides M2" a chance. Glad I did, although now, it's "someone besides M2 and Hamster" that eludes me. :lol: (was pretty hyped to realise I could finally take up trap's recommendation of Ninja-kun II, as well! that was the third)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I feel like LiveWire have come up the tier list quickly, with solid re-ports of Xbox 360 titles (Cave stuff and RS) to Switch. If they keep expanding their reach to new platforms, they could secure 3rd place in my eyes.

I'm keeping an eye on Cosmo Machia too, as their Shikigami II port was the best console version yet, and I'm hoping for the same with TriggerHeart.

I mean who else? City Connection?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Bitwave is so close to being top-tier, which is part of why I'm so frustrated with their releases. I think they can get there, too.
Mattman124

Post by Mattman124 »

I have a question regarding the input lag of some Namco games on ACA. I have the Namco Museum collection for Switch, and for some of the games I'm noticing some input lag, like in Rolling Thunder. Is the input lag in the ACA Switxh version of the games in the collection better?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Mmh which one is better for..."Arcades" ??? :?
Spoiler
Marc

Post by Marc »

They're both pretty decent, I prefer the d-pad on the fight pad though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:58 pm
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 am Allumer returns to the Arcade Archives scene: War of Aero: Project MEIOU is this week's title.
Looks pretty..Is "worth"? :o
If you like Image Fight and IREM-esque difficulty, I think it's worthy.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Marc wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:03 am They're both pretty decent, I prefer the d-pad on the fight pad though.
Ty.. because there's no version (or available adapter) for the M30 8BitDo on Playstation, so the options are these 2 or a Razer Raion, but is discontinued.

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:07 am
Lemnear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:58 pm
Looks pretty..Is "worth"? :o
If you like Image Fight and IREM-esque difficulty, I think it's worthy.
It doesn't seems "so difficult" judging by the gameplay :? not as much as Image Fight at least.

Let's support Hamster :lol:
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Oh, it's pretty difficult. I tried Aero and Image Fight back to back yesterday and was only helped by the fact I was already familiar with Image Fight.
velo

Post by velo »

Those are easily the top 2. I don't think anybody mentioned Renegade, but it's aged with surprising grace.
Mattman124 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:46 am I have a question regarding the input lag of some Namco games on ACA. I have the Namco Museum collection for Switch, and for some of the games I'm noticing some input lag, like in Rolling Thunder. Is the input lag in the ACA Switxh version of the games in the collection better?
I don't know firsthand but it's a pretty safe bet.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:09 pmI feel like LiveWire have come up the tier list quickly, with solid re-ports of Xbox 360 titles (Cave stuff and RS) to Switch. If they keep expanding their reach to new platforms, they could secure 3rd place in my eyes.
I can't consider LiveWire a real contender when they only released a small handful of shooters, and they don't seem to have much of a plan to continue that.

They did the three Cave 360 to Switch ports back in 2021 (Mushi, Espgaluda 2, and DDP DFK), then Radiant Silvergun for Switch in September 2022 (which was ported to Steam a bit more than a year later), and nothing since that unless you count the physical versions of those from Limited Run. Currently they're working on their Steam early access rogue-lite twin stick shooter looking game, 9th Sentinel Sisters, with no indication whatsoever that they're seeking to return to STG ports. It's a shame they didn't get to Mushi Futari, Saidaioujou, Pink Sweets, and MMPork back when they did the other Cave 360 ports.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Maybe problems with City Connection?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Feels to me more like Live Wire is just a small company and is focusing on other things. They have something like two dozen employees, and they're also busy with non-shooter projects.

After the handful of 2021 Cave releases, they were working on Harvestella (published by Square Enix) and their currently Early Access PC game. And presumably the recently announced sequel to Ender Lilies, their earlier Metroidvania. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they are simply prioritizing using their limited resources to do new stuff that isn't porting old shooters.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I'd actually be OK if City Connection took the rest, if they did Ibara Kuro at some stage. They fucked right up with those early Saturn games, but Deathsmiles/2 and Akai Katani are actually alright.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

I'm just waiting for LiveWire to bring Futari's 360 port to PC at this point...