I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cfx

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am One more thing to add to the fortunately very small pile of ACA disappointments: WHERE THE FUCK IS MEMODAMA?!?!
It's Konami GX which Hamster hasn't tackled yet. I'd expect them to start with Gokujyou Parodius if/when they work on that hardware. So I don't think Konami is to blame here.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Arino wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm
DejahThoris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 am
Arino wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am 64th Street even has the wrong default settings. Instead of three lives, LIKE IN EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE (one in use, two remaining), you only have two (one in use, one remaining).
This is the correct default setting. Your expectation of the number of lives is just incorrect here.

https://imgur.com/8SC0af2
Maybe "2" in this table refers to remaining lives (so three all in all) because on Mame you also get three.
It does not. MAME is incorrect in this instance and is in all sorts of instances, it's a massive project and hardly perfect despite how amazing it is overall.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am I can only imagine having a recent rigid release schedule rotating Namco and Taito games is to catch up to the number of games Hamster have made available from the other major publisher that isn't Sega/Capcom - Konami, because they're on the verge of running out of Konami games to release since they went hog on that particular publisher's games from the outset. I've never been a big Namco/Taito fella tbh and I obviously don't speak for everyone, but this recent release schedule has been a major pain the hole for me. I just fucking want Iron Horse, Jackal, the Parodious games, whatever Twin Bee games are left to get, Fast Lane, Battlantis, Gradius 4, Salamander 2, Finalizer, Mikie and Konami GT, whatever non Neo Geo SNK games that haven't been released yet and maybe a few stg/action games from other publishers left to get like Valtric, F/A, NebulasRay, Ninja Emaki and Dangar UFO Robo.
It might be true that the reason for a Namco-fest is that they have more Namco games on the docket than other publishers, but it's certainly not due to trying to "catch up" in raw numbers. Konami is behind both Taito and Namco in total number of Arcade Archives releases. It's also a little odd that you suspect they are on the verge of running out of Konami games... and then you rattled of a bunch of unreleased Konami games (which don't even include the Mystic Warriors hardware games that a lot of people here have been getting excited about - Gaiapolis, Metamorphic Force, Violent Storm, Martial Champion, etc.). That list plus a few we are overlooking is basically a couple years worth of Konami Arcade Archives games.

I find looking at the release breakdown pretty interesting. Total number of Arcade Archives games for each company (through next week's Numan Athletics release):
Namco: 68
Taito: 44
Konami: 41

To break that down a bit further:

Konami
Hamster did start pretty strong with Konami once their games started appearing on Arcade Archives in April 2019 (with Time Pilot), averaging about a game a month until July 2021. Then there was several months until one last 2021 release with Xexex in December, after which Konami completely disappeared from Arcade Archives for most of the next two years until resurfacing in August 2023 and getting back to a once a month schedule. Makes me wonder if maybe the 2022-2023 drought wasn't just because of Hamster seeking to prioritize releases from other publishers (Namco) during that time; maybe there was a licensing issue accounting for that large gap, and once that was resolved Hamster put them back into the rotation. Number of Konami releases broken down by year:
2019: 12 (in 9 months)
2020: 12
2021: 9
2022: 0
2023: 5 (all in the last 5 months of the year)
2024: 3 so far

Taito
In comparison to Konami, Taito has been a bit more of a consistent presence since initially arriving. Number of Taito releases broken down by year:
2019: 8
2020: 4
2021: 8
2022: 11
2023: 10
2024: 3 so far

Namco
For Namco, we haven't really seen any gaps since they came to Arcade Archives in September 2021, with at least one release every month since then. The obvious explanation is just that there are a LOT of Namco 80s-early 90s arcade games.
2021: 10 (in just over 3 months)
2022: 30
2023: 21
2024: 7 (as of April 25)
AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 amThe weekly drip is annoying, let me just buy everything now and then maybe we can get on with their next series, the Console Archives series Hamster were teasing, so we can get Gradius V and whatever else that's worth getting. I wish Hamster would just stop fucking about and get a storefront on PSN/eShop and let us buy everything now.
I couldn't disagree more. If you just want a massive dump of games to grab a few favorites, you have ways to do that already - go play them on MAME or something.

The weekly release schedule IS the business model that makes Arcade Archives viable. It spaces things out a bit so that we're even having these discussions about what's next, getting excited about the big December releases, having some time to reflect on each game at they release and talk about experiences and strategies. It also gives Hamster a chance to highlight each game with their weekly livestreams and announcements, a week's worth of Twitter discussion about each game, they're consistently in the news cycle with the new Famitsu report of next week's game or adding a new publisher, etc. There are plenty of AA games I would have missed entirely if they didn't have their own week in the spotlight.

And from a business management standpoint for Hamster, it gives them time for their ongoing development work on different platforms/boards and individual releases, and I imagine it's also FAR better from a sales/revenue perspective to space things out. I'm speculating here, but I imagine that if they dump 50 games at once onto the eShop maybe people would grab a few favorites - but if they space that out over 50 weeks, those same people probably buy more total games by spending the relatively low cost of an individual title here and there. And from a cashflow perspective, weekly release cadence means they have a bit more of an ongoing steady influx of cash and can actually keep operating more or less indefinitely, versus getting one big launch month for a bunch of games and then a trickle of cash going forward (not a good look for the finance folks and investors). Hamster certainly know what they're doing here, as evidenced by the near weekly releases since Switch launch in early 2017. If they had a huge flood of simultaneous releases, they'd get a lot of hype (and money) upon release... and then mindshare and ongoing revenue would sharply decline - to the point where it might even kill the company.

This is a much more sustainable model, which is a real breath of fresh air in a games industry where that is so exceedingly rare to see.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Weekly releases also keep their company in the "new releases" section of the storefront, which is absolutely crucial for a company that rarely puts their games on sale. If your game isn't in either "new releases" or "on sale" sections of the storefronts, it's very likely NOBODY will see it.

I don't object to the model of weekly releases, only to the over-abundance of super obscure stuff. Especially to a beat em ups fan like me, it just seems Hamster are deliberately holding back games people want. I realize the licensed stuff might never release at all, but some of the giants of the arcade beat em up genre are still locked to emulation and have never been ported.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm Numan Athetics is new to me. And that concludes Namco month
...And that concludes Namco Spring Festival.

Looks like our wait for F/A and NebulasRay will continue until further notice.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Surely if you want a game, you just go buy it. This is all very cringey. A business model that relies on the hope that people may buy a game they didn't specifically want just because it's new and cheap is a shit business model that relies on what must be a tiny minority of mental patients like Sumez. The idea that people get 'excited' to find out what's coming out on a Thursday is kinda pathetic. I mean we're talking about games that only cost a few quid. Life is short, I have the money. Let me spend it. I don't give a fuck about other people and what they think or what they want or whether they get excited about a £6 game from 1987. I'm fed up with it. I'm sick of checking online on a Wednesday morning to be told you have to wait until next week to only be disappointed again because Hamster have deigned to honor us with yet another obscure fucking nerd pleaser gusset foaming Namco game that's never had a console release before, that I couldn't give a fuck about. I'd sooner they just did a dump on storefronts with a few hundred games where I could pick the 2-300 games I want and if you lot want to take a punt on some obscurity then good for you. I really preferred the MS Game Room method where they did a pack from a publisher every week and you'd get like six games at once or whatever it was. This drip feed bollocks is doing my fucking head in.
jehu

Post by jehu »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm Surely if you want a game, you just go buy it. This is all very cringey. A business model that relies on the hope that people may buy a game they didn't specifically want just because it's new and cheap is a shit business model that relies on what must be a tiny minority of mental patients like Sumez. The idea that people get 'excited' to find out what's coming out on a Thursday is kinda pathetic. I mean we're talking about games that only cost a few quid. Life is short, I have the money. Let me spend it. I don't give a fuck about other people and what they think or what they want or whether they get excited about a £6 game from 1987. I'm fed up with it. I'm sick of checking online on a Wednesday morning to be told you have to wait until next week to only be disappointed again because Hamster have deigned to honor us with yet another obscure fucking nerd pleaser gusset foaming Namco game that's never had a console release before, that I couldn't give a fuck about. I'd sooner they just did a dump on storefronts with a few hundred games where I could pick the 2-300 games I want and if you lot want to take a punt on some obscurity then good for you. I really preferred the MS Game Room method where they did a pack from a publisher every week and you'd get like six games at once or whatever it was. This drip feed bollocks is doing my fucking head in.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure why Sumez is catching a stray at this of all moments, but my guy...

Get into the flow of the releases. It's like a weekly celebration of arcade culture: many new releases are accompanied by press conferences with new revelations about development, each new release Hamster has a Caravan challenge that some live to compete with, the whole one-per-week thing provides a new occasion to celebrate an old game. All of us could be playing these games on MAME, but we're here for that rare occasion when our collective attention has a reason to reexamine a game of yesteryear.

Gotta open up your mouth and get with the flow of the releases, or each one is gonna splat cold on your face like Chinese water torture.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

You can celebrate all you want, but that's fucking waffling bullshit to me. People like you get on my tits. I couldn't give a fuck. I don't care about the high scores or caravan modes or some goofy looking fuck doing a presentation at Hamster HQ. I've got literally everything on MAME/Retro Arch and never play them. I modded a PSP using the GTA exploit when that was a thing, modded a Wii and had an R4DS and once I could have everything for free I didn't want it. Make of that what you will. I'm only joking about Sumez, he talks about Rainbow Islands like it matters which I found hilarious. I thought I was a nerd...
BIL

ITS A LONG WAY 2 THE TOP (■`w´■)

Post by BIL »

As a year-by-year archival project, I'm moved beyond all consolation. There's a solid three dozen titles I'd dropkick a baby for. ;w;7

I typed out a massive sperging list and everything, but then, the shame of not playing them enough due to having such a big dong began to eat away at me very arsoul. Image Image Still, the story is true.
mfw ACA Metal Hawk (`w´メ)
I was always gonna fall off my chair doing this stuff. Now there's a non-zero chance I can do it playing Trigon. \(˘w˘)/
mfw ACA Thunder Dragon 2 (■`w´■)
I don't care about unofficial solutions personally. I'll resort to that if I get arse rabies and have a week to live. Probably not even then tbh. Can you believe some cunt accused me of faking an Elemental Master 1CC because it was on an emulator? That's the standard of people you're dealing with in that godforsaken place. Elemental Master for fuck sake :O

I do think Hamster will go on to greater things. By that same token though, I'm sure it'll be plotted out over the course of another willfully uneven decade. Image :cool:

I'll happily give 'em the benefit of the doubt as long as me fookin cutting-edge OMEGA FIGHTER continues to receive the same TLC as Wanpaku Momo-kun's Doki Doki Rail Station Fuck Fest and its criminally derivative Spartan X-alike. Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Keep in mind this isn’t a strictly commercial endeavor, but also an archival endeavor. There really are a lot of arcade games noted to be at risk of being lost forever, and this is Hamster working to interdict some measure of that. Once a week is, at a guess, on account of ensuring that each game emulates properly—they’re tweaking each game’s individual emulator, rather than relying on a single wide-scale emulator like MAME.

I think the CEO noted there were roughly 800 titles that the company started with on their “get this properly emulated and returned to public availability/awareness” list, at that. No way they’re all going to be hits, let alone crowd-pleasers.
jehu

Post by jehu »

As this is the 4000th post (4001st now, sniped it from me Skyknight ya bitch), this thread deserves its own celebration. Would we get here if Hamster took a fat 800 game dump on all of us back in 2015? I doubt it, but hey...

I finished Esmeraldia's Adventure mode. By the end, it really forces you to learn its systems. Got that 'Tetris effect' ghosting floating around in my brain yesterday while I was getting to sleep. (Really are a bunch of hopeless nerds around here.) A really strong puzzler - held up for me. Will be of my most played Hamster releases of the year. Went back and started it all over again to see how much better I really got - and damn, did I really get a lot better.

I've had the Hamster releases integrated into my weekly schedule for going on about two years now. Most weeks I drop the few shells, give the game a crack and shelve it. Sometimes, though, there's a real discovery. Dabbled around in a lot of genres and eras I otherwise wouldn't have touched. It's just like buying an extra couple cups of coffee. I'll keep going till the project's dead. And I suspect there's a number of people who do the same - project does seem to be a resounding success.

Edit: Somehow missed the announcement of the last Namco game. Fucking hell, I thought for sure we'd see F/A this month. For those of you who love the art of the outdated enthusiast website, I found a nice writeup about the Numan Athletics series. Check it: https://gaminghell.co.uk/NumanAthletics ... akers.html
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I don't recall Namco of America arcade subsidiary distributing either Numan Athletics or it's sequel Mach Breakers for the USA arcade market during the 1993-1994 timeline. Perhaps Namco of America thought that Numan Athletics wouldn't fare well "sales-wise" with American arcade owners, arcade operators and vending companies -- so that could be quite the compelling reason why it & it's sequel weren't "greenlit" for arcade distribution stateside.

Will Hamster port Mach Breakers on the PS4/Switch gaming platforms through it's ACA lineup as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm I don't give a fuck about other people
And why should anyone else give a **** about what you want then?

What a garbage post.
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 pmI've had the Hamster releases integrated into my weekly schedule for going on about two years now. Most weeks I drop the few shells, give the game a crack and shelve it. Sometimes, though, there's a real discovery. Dabbled around in a lot of genres and eras I otherwise wouldn't have touched. It's just like buying an extra couple cups of coffee. I'll keep going till the project's dead. And I suspect there's a number of people who do the same - project does seem to be a resounding success.
They hit a critical mass a couple years back - around Thunder Dragon 2 and Gunnail - where I knew I'd probably cark it before I'd played everything in my ACA backlog to a standard I'm happy with. :mrgreen: That's always been the nature of a good collection to me. It's not really something you're meant to see the end of, at least not any time soon.

M2 managed very similar, with their focusing on the really ultra-high performance STGs. If they both fold tomorrow, they'll still have done more than enough. I said three dozen ACA must-haves, but it's closer to seventy, including the stuff I do have decent runs in, not including all the weird gems that had absolutely no chance in hell of seeing quality home release otherwise. Pettan Pyu, Guttang Gottong, and Markham are all pretty rad, hadn't even heard of 'em.

These two and the miraculous return of Natsume are basically the only reasons I'm not full-time 80s~00s with my hobby. I know what I like, high-performance arcade action and stuff directly inspired by. Outside of the occasional Capcom/From marquee, I'm done like bun. I'd rather watch Maury Memorial Selection The Very Best Of. Image

Despite being a cautiously surprised pessimist, I do genuinely think we might see something interesting from both Hamster and M2, depending on how they handle the shift to more current hardware. Or, alternatively, remaining on existing hardware. Either way, they've both cleaned up a lot of the 80s staples. Even at their respective weekly/bi-yearly paces, a proper run on the 90s boards everyone's dying to see seems less and less exotic of a prospect.
I finished Esmeraldia's Adventure mode. By the end, it really forces you to learn its systems. Got that 'Tetris effect' ghosting floating around in my brain yesterday while I was getting to sleep. (Really are a bunch of hopeless nerds around here.)
I had a fuckin nightmare recently, about a cross between RayXanber III (hairy space lobsters from hell), Metal Black (trippy lava lamp BGs), and Ecco The Dolphin (primal horror of something impossibly bigger and faster than you appearing from below), I was hauling ass across haunted space waiting for some godawful rotten thing to swim up and eat my ship like a mahfuckin chicken wing :shock: For X68k, early 90s, named "Prophecy II;" boxart looked Psygnosis. First thought on awake: "Blimey, would probably cost a bit, good job it's not real, so goddamn creepy though!"

IMAGINE THIS SHIT ACTUALLY HAPPENING (■`w´■) Image
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 amWill Hamster port Mach Breakers on the PS4/Switch gaming platforms through it's ACA lineup as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Exactly the kinda thing I'm wondering about, PCEFX! It'd be so rad to see them get a strong foothold in that early/mid-90s polygon scene. Lots of good stuff there that never had a chance at properly reference-quality home translation. I wonder the same about Taito stuff like Chaos Heat. TGM and TGM2 have set an interesting high watermark, not that I've any technical insight into how demanding getting those two running was. Will leave that to Sumez and trap et al. :cool:

EDIT: disregard, I am dumb! I coulda swore MB was a poly title! Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hamster take a crack at it, judging by how well they've done with XEXEX and Mystic Warriors. I hold out similar hopes for The Outfoxies.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Man has so much 80s and 90s videogame culture stuffed into his poor brain that it autogenerates some pastiche aquatic horror beyond even Lovecraft's imagination, and he still can't muster the wherewithal to nab a legitimate Elemental Master 1CC.

It's hopeless :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm Surely if you want a game, you just go buy it. This is all very cringey. A business model that relies on the hope that people may buy a game they didn't specifically want just because it's new and cheap is a shit business model that relies on what must be a tiny minority of mental patients like Sumez.
what the fuck dude
AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm I'm only joking about Sumez, he talks about Rainbow Islands like it matters which I found hilarious. I thought I was a nerd...
Like a top 3 arcade game ever created doesn't matter. Get with the flow bro. Rainbow Islands is important serious business

Last edited by Sumez on Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 am Man has so much 80s and 90s videogame culture stuffed into his poor brain that it autogenerates some pastiche aquatic horror beyond even Lovecraft's imagination, and he still can't muster the wherewithal to nab a legitimate Elemental Master 1CC.

It's hopeless :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok look, I will arrange a Brussels meet with trusted shumps friend xxx1993 to verify I am a real nonger (´・ω・)
He's retired, he won't do a falsificare (■`w´■)
Marc

Post by Marc »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm You can celebrate all you want, but that's fucking waffling bullshit to me. People like you get on my tits. I couldn't give a fuck. I don't care about the high scores or caravan modes or some goofy looking fuck doing a presentation at Hamster HQ. I've got literally everything on MAME/Retro Arch and never play them. I modded a PSP using the GTA exploit when that was a thing, modded a Wii and had an R4DS and once I could have everything for free I didn't want it. Make of that what you will. I'm only joking about Sumez, he talks about Rainbow Islands like it matters which I found hilarious. I thought I was a nerd...
Aggressive much? And as a far off what I consider the Golden age of arcade gaming, I thought the first ever perfect port of one of the greatest coin-ops of all time kind of a big deal.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Arino

Post by Arino »

MJR wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm
Arino wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm
BIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 pm

MAME's not a great universal benchmark, unfortunately. Often accurate - those laggy late 80s Namco boards like Phelios, Dragon Spirit, and Galaga '88 are unfortunately true to life - but by its nature as a large-scale project, standards vary. Another NMK title, Task Force Harrier, has a lightning-quick ship in MAME because it's not emulating the slowdown routine.
I think Splatterhouse felt laggy, too. Is it?
I have the PCB, but I really didn't notice anything being really off with the Switch version. And I have both the Konami collection and the ACA version. Of course, I can't milk the last boss for millions quite as neatly as I can with the PCB, but it can be due to other reasons than just lag (distance from the screen, controller, etc etc etc)
There's a Konami Collection featuring Splatterhouse? :lol: :wink:

I am really curious now regarding the input lag of the three games I mentioned (Plus Alpha, Hacha Mecha Fighter, 64th Street). Has anybody compared the PCBs vs their respective ACA releases?

Damn I can't wait for next Friday! I also want the puzzle game from today but I'm trying to hold back. I already have so many ACA games and it's not even half of what I want.
Last edited by Arino on Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

AGermanArtist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pmI don't care about the high scores
damn, sounds like you're in the wrong place
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pmI am really curious now regarding the input lag of the three games I mentioned (Plus Alpha, Hacha Mecha Fighter, 64th Street). Has anybody compared the PCBs vs their respective ACA releases?
The person to ask re: HMF's native performance is probably trap, who dumped his own PCB to MAME. I get the impression he's busy though, otherwise I'd drop him a line myself to ask his verdict.

I have to think he'd have noticed something amiss back at release, though. We were all having a good time ITT with the big NMK run Hacha was part of, two/three years back.

EDIT: good goddamn gravy, that was more pages ago than I recalled. :shock:

FWIW, I gave HMF a spin last night on PS4, didn't find it noticeably laggy at all (unlike any given late 80s/early 90s Namco STG). It's the kind of game with bullets fast enough that you can see one coming at midrange, start moving, and still get clipped, right from stage 2. So I'd expect it to stand out.

Plus Alpha is one of those games I initially thought must be bugged, with its unusually choppy slowdown. A few others here wondered the same (I want to say Jeneki? apologies if wrong bud). MAME's exactly the same, though, and PCB footage looks similar. It wouldn't surprise me if it's another Mega System folly ala The Astyanax, which as mentioned, has significant native lag. I've not put much time on it, just my impression from back at release (Cybattler by comparison is airtight; not meaning to sound down on the Mega System :cool:)
Arino

Post by Arino »

How many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bubble Bobble: PS4
Dig Dug: PS4
Galaga: PS4
TGM: Switch
TGM2: Switch
Rainbow Islands: PS5

Probably silly that 4 out of the 6 are games I already have on PCB XD

I'm gonna buy Saigo no Nindou, GunNail, Thunder Dragon 2, Surprise Attack, and Numan Athletics eventually, once I'm gonna go for 1ccs in each of them respectively
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm Bubble Bobble: PS4
Dig Dug: PS4
Galaga: PS4
TGM: Switch
TGM2: Switch
Rainbow Islands: PS5

Probably silly that 4 out of the 6 are games I already have on PCB XD

I'm gonna buy Saigo no Nindou, GunNail, Thunder Dragon 2, Surprise Attack, and Numan Athletics eventually, once I'm gonna go for 1ccs in each of them respectively
Don't you have each game on both PS4 and PS5 once you have purchased them?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'd assume so, didn't really consider that. I barely ever used my ps5.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm How many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?
Two-three hundred over the last five years, including ACA-NeoGeo, I'm guessing offhand. Will have a look tonight, must give Emeraldia a go!

My PS4 is mostly an ACA/ShotTriggers machine, barring some very nice modern ports and originals. Raiden III Mikado and Eschatos are beautiful, everyone should play Tanuki Justice and Huntdown, GNG Resurrection is Fujiwara's masterpiece, Natsume have somehow come back even stronger than they were pre-vanishing.

Still as picky with ACA as I am anything else though! ACA Athena taught me that lesson early on. :lol: Buying bad games hurts MUH PRIDE no matter how cost/space-efficient. Image Image

"Wow IKARI and DOGO and TANK are great, and so is PSYCHO SOLDIER! How bad could ATHENA really be?" Oh god. Image

Still have a blast watching badmans like Janet methodically demolish it. Image Looks satisfying. Camera tracking is shockingly bad though.

I still mean to pick up a Switch at some point for M2's AGES ports. Was a coin flip initially, with my sole reason for getting a new console - The Ninja Warriors Once Again - being on both. But I was consistently hearing the PS4 had overall lower latency, and that's my priority #1, so that was that.

Jumped the gun a bit, will surely be worth FOUSANDS someday mirite. :wink:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm How many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?
All on switch. I've got most of the beat em ups Hamster have released, some of the shmups and a few heavy hitter shmupsforum recommends like Saigo no Nindo. Even the small amount of what I've got is probably too much to list here without looking it all up. I'll list the super cool games I remember:

Metal Slug(s)
Zero Team (really great game)
Vendetta (three thumbs up)
Saigo No Nindo
Cybattler
Thunder Dragon 1 and 2 (I actually prefer 1)
Raiden
Neo Turf Masters (the best arcade sports game ever made)
Shock Troopers
Saboten Bombers (super cool)
Bubble Bobble

My switch is my go-to arcade system. I also have all the major collections released by Capcom, Konami and others. Including some truly awful collections such as the Sega Classics Collection. Sega Ages ports are good though, since those are all M2.

On my to-buy list are Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, Metal Slug X, all Rolling Thunder-likes, probably Numan Athletics and 'Nam.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

probably 20 or so releases all on my switch. I've actually been getting all my hacha mecha fighter practice in 30-60 minutes a day for the past few weeks the switch on an hdtv
my former self 5-7 years ago would be so disappointed to hear that
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Some-Mist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 pmmy former self 5-7 years ago would be so disappointed to hear that
Mine would look at the last five years and shoot me. :oops: :lol: I'd PWN him from beyond the grave by pointing out my arcade record is much stronger than his was though. Image

It was Sumez's PS4 Bubble Bobble rec that convinced me to give that gen a shot. The man will not entertain sub-par Bubbling! Image jepjepjep vouching for Ninja-kun II and Rygar was a huge boost, too. So I knew something must be up.

Before then, I was honestly expecting even M2 to have trouble keeping up with Saturn Garegga, only intending to pick up Rev2016 as some token support.

I blame the HDTV I bought my grandma to watch Maury on ca 2010. It played a most unsatisfactory game of M2's AGES Alien Soldier. 3;
Marc

Post by Marc »

Approx 140 on Switch
Around 20 on PS4

I've probably given 10% of then the time they deserve.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell