I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Marc »

Dangerous Seed on 17th. Never played, any good?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... the MD port's long been a solid B-lister in my collection, never really considered the AC one. I know the MD's BGM is ace, at least. Very X-Multiply, driving creep-rock.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MD Dangerous Seed's OST is way better than the arcade's. Like, right up there with MD ports of Zero Wing and Midnight Resistance.

I didn't find either version of DS to be all that interesting, tbh. Arcade is a decent-looking game for Namco's 8-bit 6809-based hardware.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I always confuse this game with Formation Armed F. Which is already on the Arcade Archives. >_> Anyway, good game, decent port.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Does anyone know why Neo Turf Masters uses the Big Tournament Golf name in the Hamster port, even for the japanese version? When you select the japanese choice, it doesn't change the title.

Either way, it's an amazing game and super fun. I wish arcade sports games would come back (not in shovelware form.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, it might be a copyright conflict with the Augusta Masters tournament... I don't know golfing at all, but I remember someone mentioning that. Great game, with what's basically a whole new Metal Slug OST from HIYA :cool:

edit: yep, here we go. I prefer the BTG name, honestly. Nice n' goofy, bit like the cast of chads n' bros. Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

Whatever it's called, Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf is absolutely incredible. So is the price for the AES version, but the game is just so damn fun.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BIL wrote:IIRC, it might be a copyright conflict with the Augusta Masters tournament... I don't know golfing at all, but I remember someone mentioning that. Great game, with what's basically a whole new Metal Slug OST from HIYA :cool:

edit: yep, here we go. I prefer the BTG name, honestly. Nice n' goofy, bit like the cast of chads n' bros. Image
The funniest thing about the golf bros is they're all the same fucking model. As far as I can tell, Neo Turf has one model and it's for a guy. So every player character is just that guy with a different level of Mr. Potato Head disguise. One dude even has a Groucho Marx mustache. I assume Nazca's team created a single articulated sprite with all those animations, and they wanted the maximum return from it. :lol:

It makes sense the delisting was for copyright. That's dumb, but it happens all the time. Kind of a shame though, because Neo Turf Masters is the name most people will know it under, so folks may not be aware the game is available for modern consoles from Hamster. Neo Turf definitely has some of the best music on the NeoGeo.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Sima Tuna wrote:
BIL wrote:IIRC, it might be a copyright conflict with the Augusta Masters tournament... I don't know golfing at all, but I remember someone mentioning that. Great game, with what's basically a whole new Metal Slug OST from HIYA :cool:

The funniest thing about the golf bros is they're all the same fucking model. As far as I can tell, Neo Turf has one model and it's for a guy. So every player character is just that guy with a different level of Mr. Potato Head disguise. One dude even has a Groucho Marx mustache. I assume Nazca's team created a single articulated sprite with all those animations, and they wanted the maximum return from it. :lol:

It makes sense the delisting was for copyright. That's dumb, but it happens all the time. Kind of a shame though, because Neo Turf Masters is the name most people will know it under, so folks may not be aware the game is available for modern consoles from Hamster. Neo Turf definitely has some of the best music on the NeoGeo.
My fav golf game, it's also almost identical, a sequel I think
To irem skins aka major title golf?
I could be wrong but they look & play almost identical

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
velo

Post by velo »

Udderdude wrote:I always confuse this game with Formation Armed F. Which is already on the Arcade Archives. >_> Anyway, good game, decent port.
Dangerous Seed is new to me but it reminded me of Armed F right away, visually. Looks like Dangerous Seed's mark of distinction is having a lifebar... a big one too, by the end of the game.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I know I think the arcade version of the Strike Ants’ theme is better than the Megadrive version, at least.

Still, did we find out what will be next week, since Dangerous Seed is two weeks away?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gave AC Dangerous Seed (what a marvelously Dick Stock-adjacent title) a go in MAME. Daww, it's adorable. Familiar sense of Exed Exes by way of Galaga bugs. Foot-to-floor pace and nice efficient sprites. The BGM sadly lacks the MD's kicking pulse, but I like the beefy explosion SFX. Easy pickup for me.
OmegaFlareX wrote:MD Dangerous Seed's OST is way better than the arcade's. Like, right up there with MD ports of Zero Wing and Midnight Resistance.
Yeah definitely 3; I'd also mention Kyuukyoku Tiger, the MD's massively beefier power chords and kick drum blow the reedy PCB sound off the stage. MD version of TSUGARU is one of my definitive STG jams, reaches a galloping intensity the AC can't match Image Dig the opening tremolo divebomb and rolling drum fills! Same audio driver was used for the similarly excellent Battle Mania Daiginjou, IIRC.
dmk1198 wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:The funniest thing about the golf bros is they're all the same fucking model. As far as I can tell, Neo Turf has one model and it's for a guy. So every player character is just that guy with a different level of Mr. Potato Head disguise. One dude even has a Groucho Marx mustache. I assume Nazca's team created a single articulated sprite with all those animations, and they wanted the maximum return from it. :lol:

My fav golf game, it's also almost identical, a sequel I think
To irem skins aka major title golf?
I could be wrong but they look & play almost identical
Very likely the same staff, Nazca was comprised of ex-IREM luminaries like Akio, Meeher and HIYA. :smile:
Skyknight wrote:Still, did we find out what will be next week, since Dangerous Seed is two weeks away?
I was just looking at the Japanese ACA wiki page, which includes Taito's Space Seeker (1981) in the upcoming slate, unlike the English wiki page. Interesting game, doesn't seem to have been talked about much on here.

No idea if that's what'll be next week, assuming it's even something scheduled. We've been in grab bag mode for well over a year now, not that I'm complaining... some utter beauties have shown up out of nowhere, like HachaMecha Fighter, Markham, Quarth, Halley's Comet, and I'd include Pistol Daimyou, from the seemingly mysterious Namco set. Lots of great non-STGs too, Crime Fighters, Saboten Bombers, Vandyke... I finally got around to learning Crime Fighters 2, have been marvelously entertained kicking flying daggers into their senders' faces all week.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: I was just looking at the Japanese ACA wiki page, which includes Taito's Space Seeker (1981) in the upcoming slate, unlike the English wiki page. Interesting game, doesn't seem to have been talked about much on here.
It was announced for that Taito Milestones collection, which was picked up by ININ in the west.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aha, that must be where I'd heard its name... I think I was mixing it up with Space Cruiser, another recent surprise ACA Taito release.

I wonder if the JP wiki contributors know something we don't, or if they're just assuming it'll show up on ACA ala the officially-confirmed Chack n' Pop. Seems like a pretty safe bet either way. :smile:
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Yeah, Hamster or Taito already said that all Taito Milestones releases will get an ACA release as well down the line (if they have not already been released).
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I actually once took the trouble to give all of Dangerous Seed's tracks (well, all the in-play ones for the MegaDrive version) unofficial names. Somehow, I got the idea to give them all an "X of Y" template...

St. 1: Vision of Victory
Triple Eye: Promise of Fear
St. 2: March of Stone
Strike Ant(s): Wrath of Night
St. 3: Watch of Zeal
Roller Snail: Echo of Fate
St. 4: Depth of Sadness
Hunter Moth: Spiral of Trance
Multi-Squid (arcade allocation): Shadow of Time
Shark Mouth: Purity of Malevolence
Uranus Orbit (arcade allocation): Ascension of Care (q.v. the term care-worn)
Twin Claw: Threat of Contempt
St. 12 {Genesis}: Approach of Confidence
Brain of Danger {Genesis}: Abyss of Agony

EDIT: Meanwhile, I noticed that Hamster hasn’t ported Bravoman. This is a bit odd, in that the Pistol Daimyou debuted there, as one of Dr. Bakuda’s lieutenants. Is Bravoman already on a PS4/Switch-compatible Namco collection?
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Thunder Dragon 2 this week!
2/10/2022
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Whoa cool! Bringing out the big guns now.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Hey Bill there a certain game coming out tomorrow. Not sure you’re aware [RELIEVED FACE]

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202202/09250694.html
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Fingolfin wrote:Thunder Dragon 2 this week!
2/10/2022
HELL YEAH

Day one buy for me.
BIL

Post by BIL »

DenimDemon wrote:Hey Bill there a certain game coming out tomorrow. Not sure you’re aware [RELIEVED FACE]

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202202/09250694.html
Whoa its beautiful Image

I've been hitting the Crime Fighters 2 heavy bag all week, building up that Van Damme 2ALL buffness :cool: :lol: Only an event of this calibre could tear me away!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Can't wait to see the japons milk stage 3 boss for 30 minutes in action. :lol:
DenimDemon

I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by DenimDemon »

Merry Christmas BIL! :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol: Indeed.

EEE-HURRR (◎w◎;)

THIS IS A VERY ORTHODOX SHOOTING GAME (`w´メ)

Flyer scan Image Best STG of the entire ACA canon, imo, and a long-overdue home release besides. Got that EZ P1/P2 ship switch, as expected of ACA. :cool: Between Hamster and M2, this gen has been outstanding.

EDIT: Here's Nifty's post in the TD2 Game Discussion thread, excellent quickstart guide.

Seriously so much great stuff in the ACA lineup now, long may they continue. Violent Storm+Mystic Warriors this year pls.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The announcer is wacky. Remember to push the soundboard buttons copiously. (This link still works, lol) http://daifukkat.su/files/td2.swf
BIL

Post by BIL »

TD2 emcee has that Dangun/BatWIDER prowess, where no matter how long I've practiced a stage, he'll still catch me off-guard with uncannily well-timed cracks. :mrgreen: Fighting not to bomb through a brisk gauntlet, finally kill the midboss - "EEE-HURRR!" :lol:

Big chunky metal mahfuckas with lazors and flamethrowers Image

GTFO Mr. Whale! Shit be wildin! BATTLE HAS BEGUN! :shock:

At the most elemental move/shoot level, this game's feel is uncommonly smooth. Image Hitbox, animation, movement, everything's just right, both ships.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Not having any kind of japanese account, I will have to angrily stew in my own jealousy until tomorrow. But I will be playing it first thing when it drops.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote:TD2 emcee has that Dangun/BatWIDER prowess, where no matter how long I've practiced a stage, he'll still catch me off-guard with uncannily well-timed cracks. :mrgreen: Fighting not to bomb through a brisk gauntlet, finally kill the midboss - "EEE-HURRR!" :lol:

Big chunky metal mahfuckas with lazors and flamethrowers Image

At the most elemental move/shoot level, this game's feel is uncommonly smooth. Image Hitbox, animation, movement, everything's just right, both ships.
Those bullets be speedy
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah they scurrin me good :shock: Just doing my usual NMNB tryouts :mrgreen: Fourth boss's deadliest weapon is his rocket launcher IMO, tends to catch me out of spreads. Much simpler once it's gone.
Sima Tuna wrote:Not having any kind of japanese account, I will have to angrily stew in my own jealousy until tomorrow. But I will be playing it first thing when it drops.
Turn KANASHIMI ImageImage into IKARI ImageImage

While st1 is mild n' unassuming 1942 sky, st5 brings RAIZING-CALIBRE CLOUDY CARNAGE Image Garegga in particular with the lightning arcs, but Mahou trilogy had some good strato storming too.

Come to think of it, the tightly-packed cityscape later on is a dead ringer for Mad Ball mk1's scene in Garegga's second stage, too.
SPM

Post by SPM »

BIL wrote:Image
Ngl... I tried to rescue that whale hovering on top. That or at least getting some points. No luck... XD
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah