I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sima Tuna

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Sima Tuna »

Ice Beam wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 pm
Sima Tuna wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:50 pm I was trying to find it, but there's some other single-screen platformer about a girl dodging snakes that's very Donkey Kong inspired. It came out pretty recently. Maybe somebody else on this forum knows the name. Google failed me and so did Steam. I'm sure I can find it on the switch eshop eventually.

I'm probably alone in not particularly liking regular Burgertime, but loving Super Burgertime. I think Super evolved the formula in some cool ways.
Annalynn. The screen scrolls, though. It plays like a Pac-Man/DK Jr. mix.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1508460/Annalynn/
Thanks so much! I couldn't think of the name. "Girl running from snakes game" surprisingly doesn't bring Google search results.
velo

Post by velo »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:11 am I had never heard of Mouser before today, but I upon looking at it I immediately thought of Kangaroo (a game I've always loved, but there's some real nostalgia value there for me since I liked it in arcades as a kid). IDK, I'm kind of into this, it does look cute.

A slight tangent...
For those who enjoy these kinds of single screen platformers in the vein of Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Burgertime, etc. - if you've overlooked Donut Dodo you really should check it out. Released in 2022 as a throwback to those kinds of games, and the level design, music, and hectic speed are just great. You'll get some stages that feel like Burgertime, some with ropes to climb and DK Jr. climbing mechanics. Interesting scoring system where you need to collect all items to clear a stage, but the game randomly assigns one active "bonus" item to collect, so if playing for score you want to grab that one to build up a chain/multiplier (as opposed to grabbing all of the items to simply clear the level).

Switch port is excellent, I fire it up all the time for a quick hit of pure arcade scoring goodness. I assume Steam release is probably equally good. Also made it to the arcade on eXa-Arcadia (the main exclusive is a different character), I tried that once and enjoyed. It's getting a European physical release next month too via Pix'n Love.
Having played Mouser for the first time, it reminded me of Donut Dodo more than anything: rodents, teleports, ladders, and so on. It looks so much like DD's opening level and plays a bit like it as well. Closer to that (or Donkey Kong/DK Jr) than it is to Mappy.
Jonpachi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:42 pm Yes, I know there's a dedicated thread, I just wanted to give a shout to this game to lovers of classic arcade titles, as it might easily be overlooked.
I appreciate it, I saw the thread before but I didn't know it had any similarity to old gallery shooters, which does catch my interest.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I haven't heard of Mouser before the announcement, but I like the Looney Tunes inspired aesthetics.
NYN

Miller rhyme

Post by NYN »

Jonpachi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:24 pm though firmly planted in that Frank Miller dystopian universe,
Not to trip you up here, though which one? DKR, Ronin, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot? Which is more felt?

I am certain that peeps are influenced by certain feels of creation, the comic book flavour of mid-80s is one thing to notice. Ripping-off, as it was a given of the same-ish period from genre film to arcade game setting is very well established. IT WAS CALLED "REFERENCE"...
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Jonpachi

Re: Miller rhyme

Post by Jonpachi »

NYN wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 am
Jonpachi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:24 pm though firmly planted in that Frank Miller dystopian universe,
Not to trip you up here, though which one? DKR, Ronin, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot? Which is more felt?

I am certain that peeps are influenced by certain feels of creation, the comic book flavour of mid-80s is one thing to notice. Ripping-off, as it was a given of the same-ish period from genre film to arcade game setting is very well established. IT WAS CALLED "REFERENCE"...
HAHA major typo on my part! GEORGE MILLER is what I meant to say. The game mainly looks to Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior) for inspiration.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

I'm looking for "Thera" but...what the hell is that? They were on the list of meme shmups developers.
It's the only one i miss with "Sting".

EDIT: Wrong topic, idk how to move the post in "Shmups general tread"
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

I was expecting a Namco title, but Konami's always a good option.
*Sigh* Looks like Raiden II and F/A will have to wait a little longer.
Last edited by Sturmvogel Prime on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 am Konami's Surprise Attack

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202403/20337652.html
Hell yeah, I've always been so curious about this one. Even more superunknown on consoles than Missing In Action.
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

Nice - I had a Surprise Attack PCB. Its basically Konamis take on Shinobi / Rolling Thunder.
If I could wish for one game ported in Arcade Archives it would be Tobe Polystars. Emulation on this game is still meh and it would be great if you could just play it without much hassle :) .
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Definitely one of Konami's curios and definitely appreciated. It even has a Sam Fox-alike tit maiden quiz.

Agreed on Polystars.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Eaher to play this one if it doesnt fall under the same trademark curse as Face Off or Jail Break.

I hate that’s a worry now.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's a game I've always wanted on PCB, even though I've never even tried it. I just love how it looks and that rare style of action platformer always appeals to me.
Guess I'll have to settle for ACA, really curious to try it!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I'm very excited for Surprise Attack, love that selection and I often kind of prefer the slightly more under the radar releases.

That being said... leaving Parodius as one of the last games on the hardware to not be on Arcade Archives is almost trolling at this point! (and yeah Turtles in Time too, but that's much more understandable due to licensing)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Parodius has countless ports already though. Surprise Attack is a much more interesting release for me :)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Surprise Attack looks good. I never heard of this game, but it does belong to that "search action" subgenre, or whatever we ended up calling Rolling Thunder-likes. Which is a genre I have a lot of interest in, since EAR and Huntdown were (for me) its culmination.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:06 pm Parodius has countless ports already though. Surprise Attack is a much more interesting release for me :)
I absolutely agree that Surprise Attack is a lot more interesting. But I also find it a bit amusing that Parodius is one of those games that it feels like people have been constantly mentioning as "when is it coming to AA?" for years, and it now looks like Hamster has released maybe all of the other realistically possible games from the same hardware, but... no Parodius.

Assuming the list on System 16 is complete and accurate, the TMNT2 hardware had:

Released on AA:
Detana!! Twin Bee - released January 2020
Lightning Fighters/Trigon - released August 2020
Sunset Riders - released June 2020
Surprise Attack - released March 2024

Unlikely:
TMNT Turtles in Time (one would assume this would be a licensing challenge)
Golfing Greats (generic sports game, Hamster often skips these)
Premier Soccer (generic sports game, Hamster often skips these)
Quiz Gakumon no Susume (Japanese only quiz game)

Remaining:
Parodius
Rollergames (which may have licensing issues of its own)
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Parodius has music in it that wouldnt work in a modern reissue. They could cut it out ala PSP ver but i think that pissed off the JP fans. Probably means parodius games outside of the MSX one are unlikely to be reissued
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

You mean the first stage BGM that they swapped out in the PSP release for copyright reasons? Why couldn't they change that in Arcade Archives? We just recently saw them do exactly that with Rainbow Islands and its Over the Rainbow music (swapped out for the NES music), and we've seen several other examples of Arcade Archives releases making changes for similar reasons (for instance, changing the billboards in Pole Position).
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Surprise Attack is up, so no copyright issues hit it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sima Tuna wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:35 pm Surprise Attack looks good. I never heard of this game, but it does belong to that "search action" subgenre, or whatever we ended up calling Rolling Thunder-likes. Which is a genre I have a lot of interest in, since EAR and Huntdown were (for me) its culmination.
It was "spy action" IIRC; pretty cool moniker, I have to say! Search action is the neologism for Metroid et al, known to provoke some derision and anger around these parts if I recall. :lol:
SeafoamGaming wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:10 pm Parodius has music in it that wouldnt work in a modern reissue. They could cut it out ala PSP ver but i think that pissed off the JP fans. Probably means parodius games outside of the MSX one are unlikely to be reissued
hamfighterx wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:17 pm You mean the first stage BGM that they swapped out in the PSP release for copyright reasons? Why couldn't they change that in Arcade Archives? We just recently saw them do exactly that with Rainbow Islands and its Over the Rainbow music (swapped out for the NES music), and we've seen several other examples of Arcade Archives releases making changes for similar reasons (for instance, changing the billboards in Pole Position).
Yeah, I'm guessing some alteration will be in order. There's probably a good dozen or so ACA titles with changes to BGM, graphics, or sometimes screen flashes. ACA Salamander's second stage won't kill epileptics IRL, ACA Saigo no Nindou's ending sequence won't turn them into skeletons. It's never ideal, but when the translation is 1:1 accurate otherwise, IDGAF.

Some twitter goober was whining about ACA Crime Fighters 2 overwriting Hardgay-sama with more Red Knifers. And I'm like alright, it's a shame, that goes beyond the merely aesthetic, to an actual content change. But he's a disposable gag enemy. He tries to feel up your balls while you're not looking, then you slap the piss out of him. Life goes on! Or doesn't, if you let the battle-hardened killers who replaced him get the drop on you for a 90% lifebar gashing. :cool:

You need excellent off-axis fundamentals to take them down cleanly. What do you think they are? SEX PEOPLE? (■`w´■)

These are hard times, daddy. Image You can't always get the homoerotic battery you want, but you can get the knife-wielding psychopath you need!

Parodius Da! has never, to my knowledge, had a truly accurate console translation. The SFC and PCE ones are lovely work, but naturally not 1:1. The PS/SS Deluxe Pack version, I've always seen diehards claim nerfs the PCB's Rank. So likewise, I'd be down for an ACA release, even if it swaps out the Loony Toons BGM. I don't play Paros for the tunes, I play for the gratuitous T&A. Image Which, if ACA Crime Fighters and Crime Fighters 2 are any indication, is A-OK! Image I am pleased to say Hamster have not taken up my offer to produce... ZERO TEAM CURRENT YEAR Image
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Skyknight wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:42 pm Surprise Attack is up, so no copyright issues hit it.
thank you, I've been checking all morning and just pulled the trigger. pretty pumped to check this one out
a creature... half solid half gas
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm It was "spy action" IIRC; pretty cool moniker, I have to say! Search action is the neologism for Metroid et al, known to provoke some derision and anger around these parts if I recall. :lol:
Not sure I've even heard that moniker going around elsewhere tbh, but it fits so well I feel like it must have been used frequently

And I absolutely love that style of games
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:51 pm
BIL wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm It was "spy action" IIRC; pretty cool moniker, I have to say! Search action is the neologism for Metroid et al, known to provoke some derision and anger around these parts if I recall. :lol:
Not sure I've even heard that moniker going around elsewhere tbh, but it fits so well I feel like it must have been used frequently

And I absolutely love that style of games
What I find particularly interesting is when elements of it find their way into outright body-stacking slaughterfests ala Sunset Riders. Image Balcony hop/drops are mostly superfluous during stages - your 8way firepower and high mobility make aggressive advance preferable, especially with your bigbox menaced by even a couple of enemies surviving long enough to retaliate. But skilled use of Rolling Thunder/Shinobi vertical assassination is an absolute must versus several bosses, who'll quickly trap your Pong paddle hitbox, otherwise.

CONTRA in the streets! Image SHINOBI in the whorehouse! Image

Late 2023 ACA caravan gem Shaolin's Road (1985) made me wonder, actually, if it might be the originator of the signature tier-switching superjump. I seem to recall there being an earlier, possibly really obvious forerunner, but I'm not in Hard Gaymer mode atm, so I'll stick with my rash proclamation for now. :cool:
THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE SAFE (`w´メ)
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The combination of the two-level gameplay and large character sprites in Surprise Attack made me think of Data East's Crude Buster, which of course is a beat 'em up rather than shooting oriented.
BIL

Post by BIL »

cfx wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:11 pm The combination of the two-level gameplay and large character sprites in Surprise Attack made me think of Data East's Crude Buster, which of course is a beat 'em up rather than shooting oriented.
Criminy! How'd I forget Crude Buster?! Another fascinating riff for sure. Rampant sidescrolling brawler with that unmistakable vertical aspect.

NEW YORK CITY IS A REAL COOL TOWN ♫

As was DECO's wont, also a legitimately hilarious game. A certain boss reveal made me howl, first with mirth, then outrage as my face was dropkicked clean off. :cool:

Also Taito's Thunder Fox, which is effectively The Ninja Warriors x Rolling Thunder. And unlike the storming MD Crude Buster giffed above, that one's MD port sucks! So roll on ACA pls. Image
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BIL wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:01 pm
Late 2023 ACA caravan gem Shaolin's Road (1985) made me wonder, actually, if it might be the originator of the signature tier-switching superjump. I seem to recall there being an earlier, possibly really obvious forerunner, but I'm not in Hard Gaymer mode atm, so I'll stick with my rash proclamation for now. :cool:
The first Ninja-kun from late 1984 definitely had it. Forerunner of so many things, on the other hand.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:29 pm
BIL wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:01 pm
The first Ninja-kun from late 1984 definitely had it. Forerunner of so many things, on the other hand.
Aha! That may be the one I was thinking of. I'd wondered if it might be Mr. Goemon, but that's '86, same year as Rolling Thunder. Such a busy time, the 1984/85/86 epoch.

EDIT: come to think of it, Shao-Lin's powerup orbs even resemble Ninja-kun's, right down to the way they arc offscreen. And they've a very similar aesthetic, a comical take on stock feudal martial arts. I wonder, indeed...
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Speaking of which, Surprise Attack's gimmick is turning the tier-switching superjump into a gravity nullifier at times. Never a fan of that myself ever since the Saigo no Nindou days, but here I recall it to be more manageable.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

But flying Kung Fu

ImageImage

How can you have martial arts media — movies or video games — without a little suspension of gravity and a little more suspension of disbelief? :mrgreen: