I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Atariboy

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Atariboy »

Jonpachi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:05 pm Very hard to imagine a hardware manufacturer creating a complicated product like that on the hope that a $10 download gets popular enough to compel people to buy the fancy add-on.
They obviously don't think that Bomb Bee is going to sell an expensive arcade stick. But I could see if they plan to follow through with this, holding back some releases like that or Time Soldiers that would particularly benefit from such an accessory.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Christ that thing gives me a boner every time I see it Image I told em at the time, take my money motherfuckers :shock:

What I'd love, should it ever see the light, is the existing LS-30 titles on ACA (TANK, Ikari, Dogosoken, Guevara, and Ikari III) retroactively patched for it. And a bunch of new ones (Search And Rescue, Time Soldiers, Bermuda Triangle), plus a run of DECO loop lever titles. Heavy Barrel, Bloody Wolf, Midnight Resistance, Thunder Zone...

And of course they could get in on the Arkanoids, and Puchi Carat, all that other good stuff.

Normally I wouldn't waste the keystrokes; I dislike pie in the sky almost as much as the ol' saddest words of tongue and pen. Especially when there's already so much to enjoy, between Hamster and M2. But at this point ACA has earned a little blind optimism. Image
ryu

Post by ryu »

... is that a track ball on that thing?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:50 am ... is that a track ball on that thing?
Indeed. :lol:

I'd be down with three individual units, tbh. Rotary/spinner/trackball. But the sheer brass-balled largesse of three infamously elusive input devices on one big beautiful slab is just irresistible. EDIT: ohshi, they could do CAMELTRY too. :o
ryu

Post by ryu »

Hah, nice. I wonder if seeing that made Yuji Naka shed a tear for SegaSonic :lol: Never thought I'd see a controller with one myself, even if just a mockup from an actual manufacturer. Though weren't there track ball controllers for consoles around the time Atari was relevant? It's coming full circle
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The Atari 5200 had a trackball controller. Probably was made for Centipede. There were various computer ones too, though I'm not sure for which ones.

As for the Hori controller, Hori has made limited production controllers before that were done via preorders direct, and if they didn't get enough orders they didn't make them, or I think that's how it worked. The PS4 Project Diva Arcade Future Tone controller was handled like this, and much further back there was a Virtua On controller for...PS2(? not sure). Thee was suppoed to be a Radiant Silvergun joystick for the Xbox 360 but I am not sure that one was ever made.

https://hori.jp/products/p4/ftdx_con/
Marc

Post by Marc »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 am Hah, nice. I wonder if seeing that made Yuji Naka shed a tear for SegaSonic :lol: Never thought I'd see a controller with one myself, even if just a mockup from an actual manufacturer. Though weren't there track ball controllers for consoles around the time Atari was relevant? It's coming full circle
Egret Mini has a decent trackball/spinner add on. I should really get around to playing Syvalion and Cameltry at some point.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The first Namco surpsise of the week is Exvania, Namco's take on Gauntlet and Bomberman.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202404030037/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting, that's one of the ones I'd thought we might see soon. F/A seems certain for this year.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

So, Namco's Bomberman? Never heard of it. Likely another skip this week.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

BIL wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 am Interesting, that's one of the ones I'd thought we might see soon. F/A seems certain for this year.
Especially since this is another NA-1 game that gets emulated.
Hope we can see F/A this month. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'll hop in with this one, good vibes of Tank Force from the sharply detailed chibi-murderface look. <3 Reminds me a bit of Toy Pop, too. This is the kind of stuff I'd loved to have seen the PS1 Namco Museums include as b-sides, had that wonderful series lasted a few more volumes.

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:08 am
BIL wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 am Interesting, that's one of the ones I'd thought we might see soon. F/A seems certain for this year.
Especially since this is another NA-1 game that gets emulated.
Hope we can see F/A this month. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.
My thoughts exactly! This also suggests Emeraldia and Tinkle Pit. Little idea of either, but they're always well spoken-of around these parts. That name on Tinkle Pit though, lmao.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I don't think I've ever seen Exvania before, but I know the name because it is one of the decals on a car in PS1 Ridge Racer. To this day I still don't know what Naviway is though.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

What I would not do for one of these or an approximate alternative!!! :twisted:

As a proud owner of both the 5200 Trak-ball and CX80 Trak-ball for Atari 8 bit computers (works on 2600 & 7800 too; works like a charm for games that have been modified — like modded 7800 Centipede — or outright coded for it), I can vouch that home console trak-balls/trackballs are awesome!

There are plenty of 5200 games that are much better played using the beast of a trackball that is the 5200 trak-ball, especially considering that the 5200 digi controller is so very hard to use even for the simplest of games/game mechanics.

When I first got my PS4 back in late 2017 — to be able to play the Shottriggers releases and ACA Arcade games w/ less lag than Switch — the first thing I searched for was trackball (and soon thereafter spinner) for PS4; even went so far as to look into modding gear for use as such — but quickly found that a) there was no such PS4 tech or trackballs or spinners for any other modern console for that matter and b) modding existing tech would be very challenging and likely nigh on impossible considering issues w/ synching existing arcade trackballs and spinners to PS4 hardware & drivers/operating system.

TL;DR: it would be fucking amazing for Hori to make one of the above, even if the odds against such a controller are stacked against it.

As y’all know in the history of video game technology, vaporware aboundeth: I’m still waiting for a proper 384 bit Holodeck attachment…

Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Fingolfin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:10 pm [...]Trak-ball [...]
ahem
Thank you.

Trak-ball for 5200 was a holy grail back in the day. It was advertised before the console launch yet I never saw one in stores. It wasn't until a Philly games expo in early 2000s that I finally saw one (and purchased) irl.
Works great for soccer and Defender and some of the scoot n shoot games, not to mention Centipede and Missile Command.

It was wild and improbable when Namco released the Volume controller (rotary dial) for PS1 Namco Museum Vol.2 so that Bomb Bee, Gee Bee, and Cutie Q could be played properly. A number of other publishers went on to release their own ball'n'paddle games which play beautifully with the Volume controller.
Of course the neGcon doubled as a rotary controller as well, and the mouse could be used in place of the Volume controller too.

The rotary controller on the Taito Egret mini is a little funky, doesn't quite have the proper free spin and momentum, same with the DS rotary controller.
Rotary controllers and trak-balls seem hard to replicate the proper weight and momentum factor.
Fingers crossed Hori and M2 pull out a miracle.
M2 have long been righteous in supporting peripheral options, like their faithful Galaxy Force II PS2 port that can utilize the Hori Ace Combat flight stick.
I think we do have hope!

My long-shot wish is that we start seeing sprite scaling racers in Arcade Archives with proper steering wheel support.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ACA has the steering wheel part covered, at least. Pole Position 1 and 2 already have steering wheel support.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

On the subject of interesting controllers, did anyone ever check out Cyber Stick compatibility?
BJQ1972

Post by BJQ1972 »

Steven wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:38 am On the subject of interesting controllers, did anyone ever check out Cyber Stick compatibility?
You can get the cyber stick working on the Switch with this adapter.

https://fareastpinball.booth.pm/items/4853119
Steven

Post by Steven »

If it needs an adaptor to work I wouldn't call it compatible lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Having finally given Exvania a quick go (seemed to upload a day or so later to JPSN than I'm used to), it seems safely skippable unless you've a healthy multiplayer contingent. Didn't sense the PvE legs of Tank Force, a game that's great in 1P and 4P alike; TF's technically a cooperative affair, but scrambling for kills without fatally exposing yourself to enemy fire or getting your shared HQ taken out is a riot.

Even then, roping in a couple guinea pigs, Exvania felt just alright. You've a melee attack, which breaks blocks and can set bombs off prematurely, and that's about it. Early rounds were all about gobbling up +1 speed, bomb limit, and blast radius powerups, then madly trying to overrun/trap the other players. Fun with company, but inevitably a bit hollow vs the CPU, which alternates between just kinda giving up early on, or dodging with TASlike accuracy, 1v1. Death soon shows up to madly pursue a random (?) target, brutally slowing them down once caught. Tried to show mercy to a thoroughly encumbered buddy by letting the timer run down, but that just invites a Wizard, who nukes the balls off everyone for a draw game. :lol:

Workmanlike take on early 90s Bomberman with some charming presentation. The hapless death holler is great; "owaaa!" Cookin' BGM too, as seemed de rigeur for this hardware generation. F/A this month pls. ;3 I'm going to give it another go this evening; the Attract mode does show some interestingly dialled-up enemy presence later on, and while simplistic, it's got a likeably madcap pace.

In drastically different mode, also caught up on last week's Volfied, or Borufido, as I always remember the old Taito Memories trailer calling it. Now this is more like it. :o It must've been forever since I played the old faithful MD port... I'd forgotten so much about this game's concept, mechanics, and presentation. Despite the obvious debt to fellow ACA release Qix, the STG element more than distinguishes. Absolute white-knuckle sense of danger, going between totally invincible and harrowingly exposed to the busy field and its hulking boss. I love how, apropos the opening cinema, you're progressively pizza-cutting your way to the planet's core, the next stage visible from the current. No surprise the always-shrewd eroge market soon tapped into this progressively-denuding aspect, those dirty Kanekos :3

IMMA CUTCHOO MANG Image Image
Spoiler

Classic Mitsuji, instantly compulsive yet mysterious. From what I gather, you trigger the flashing block to drop the boss-annihilating spreadshot by trapping at least three enemies at once, for the x4,000pt bonus? Could easily be wrong there; was getting it consistently on the first couple rounds, at any rate.

ala ACA Master of Weapon's bullet strobe toggle, a very nice Preference Option, in the counterstop fix! One thing I'd definitely not forgotten from the MD port is its harsh SFX; much less so here, being deliberately mechanistic and dissonant without overstepping. In hindsight, I'm struck by how akin it and Raimais feel, in both stylishly chilly techno aesthetic, and the exhilarating fusion of a more pacifistic genre with bursts of fiery STG aggression.

As I like to, will chuck in a recommend for Toru Iwatani's personal favourite of his oeuvre Libble Rabble, another Qixesque with formidable individuality. More of a twinstick affair, or a 2P co-op one, something the ACA release facilitates handily by letting your put the Rightmost character on P2's controller (this option primarily letting you put a couple arcade sticks together, or in theory, even create a custom dual-stick panel). Iwatani was assigned to other projects midway through development, with the rest of the team - diehard Wizardry buffs - cramming in lots of arcane secrets, not unlike MTJ's wont.
cfx wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:21 am I don't think I've ever seen Exvania before, but I know the name because it is one of the decals on a car in PS1 Ridge Racer. To this day I still don't know what Naviway is though.
Aha! That's where I was recalling the name from. Crazy going back to the RRs, they were such a goldmine of Namco arcade lore great and small, right from the PS1 through PS2/PSP/PS3. Nobody could miss the really obvious stuff, but I grew up thinking NEBULASRAY was just a cool name for a Not-Lamborghini.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jeneki wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:27 pm Mouser doesn't look any worse than Kangaroo, which was enjoyable enough to learn a few loops. Also watching the mice run away and try to bait you into traps is kind of cute.
Spent a bit more time with Mouser. Normally I'd feel bad about a game hunting down mice, but screw these guys. The mice A.I. is as trollish as possible, as they move around to setup new obstacles, kicking things point-blank into your face, moving an object from above that would've otherwise missed, etc. Shmup misdirection skills are helpful in this game.

The first stage might be the hardest one in the loop. Not because of the obstacles themselves, but the way you can only enter/exit ladders at certain points, it throws me off so bad as I try to do something the game doesn't allow. This is covered in the manual, probably because it seems like the game is broken until you figure out the rules.

You just have to laugh it off when dumb ways to die happen. :P
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Marc

Post by Marc »

XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Watched a video of Exvania. Looks like Bomberman Vs. mode the arcade game. I rather see one of the actual Bomberman games.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Marc wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:35 pm https://theotakuauthority.com/arcade-ar ... 6WRayOYwP0

FC Super Xevious next week. Nah.
Is there any significant difference between the VS port of Super Xevious and the Famicom version? If not this seems like an easy skip. Even if you don't have the game yet, you're probably better off getting the Namco Museum collection when it's on sale.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jucksalbe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:34 pm
Marc wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:35 pm https://theotakuauthority.com/arcade-ar ... 6WRayOYwP0

Is there any significant difference between the VS port of Super Xevious and the Famicom version? If not this seems like an easy skip. Even if you don't have the game yet, you're probably better off getting the Namco Museum collection when it's on sale.
I read that it's supposedly harder, but I'm not 100% sure on this. It seems to be very similar and it's one of those infamous games that attempted to combine a shmup with a puzzle like structure. Odd choice.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

AGermanArtist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am My guess

Super Xevious
Dirt Fox
Galaxian 3
Nebulas Ray or possibly Fighter/Attacker first?
One correct so far! Hard pass, though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BrianC wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:15 pm Watched a video of Exvania. Looks like Bomberman Vs. mode the arcade game. I rather see one of the actual Bomberman games.
Irem's Bomber Man World is one of the most criminally unported (and overlooked) arcade games I can think of.
Not just (easily) the best arcade Bomberman, but arguably the best single player Bomberman game, period. A mix of this game with PCE style Bomberman controls and graphics would be my dream bombergame.

Too bad Hamster releasing it would (presumably) require a license from both Konami and Irem. But at least they seem to have a good thing going with Konami. And they'd probably have to do the two Irem games in order, but the first one is nearly unplayable due to a stupid control quirk that was fixed in the sequel. Does any other ACA releases have optional hacks/bugfixes in their settings? Fixing that game would honestly be really cool, and I've considered developing a patch myself. Shouldn't be too complicated.

- Reminds me, I gotta rip my 1CC recording of World, so I can upload it to YouTube :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

I could never be bothered with the FC cart of Super Xevious, and was similarly nonplussed to see it in M2's Namco Museum Archives. No idea how it actually plays, just never grabbed me conceptually. Very fond of the FC's original Xevious port (also in M2's set), but that goes for all of Namco's early releases on the platform.

I do like seeing third-party VS System ports, though. Will have to see what changed for arcade format, if anything.
Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:31 amAnd they'd probably have to do the two Irem games in order, but the first one is nearly unplayable due to a stupid control quirk that was fixed in the sequel. Does any other ACA releases have optional hacks/bugfixes in their settings? Fixing that game would honestly be really cool, and I've considered developing a patch myself. Shouldn't be too complicated.
There's quite a few - Daioh's 1UP exploit removal, Trigon's hitbox reduce, Master of Weapon's bullet strobe fix, to name some of the more significant offhand - but I can't remember any relating to control mechanics. 3: Nearest is Dragon Buster adding a macro for its bizarre jump input, but it's only that, a macro.

Bomber Man World sounds amazing, would love to see it! Exvania remains a soft pass for me, it's just ok. Feels like the archetypal game in the cinema lobby you goof off with before the movie starts, right down to the timer killing everybody if your war fails to produce a lord in prompt fashion. As much as John Q. Scrublord will describe the most masterfully-designed arcade titles thus, this seems legit. Hoping google SEO might bring the TRV3 Exvaniacs ITT to correct my casual ass with 1337 whip techs. :wink:

Volfied's amazin. :shock: I kinda slept on it getting title billing for March, and figured Surprise Attack would thoroughly eclipse it. Still more jazzed about SA on sheer unexpectedness, and it's no slouch either, but goddamn, got a new appreciation for this one. Fiendish. :o
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Agreed on Exvania. A friend of mine got a PCB a couple of years back, and I was excited to try it. I didn't play it for long though, it felt extremely uninspired, and honestly kinda tedious to play.

It's really too bad there aren't more "Bombermanlikes" out there, it's a really criminally unexplored region of the maze game, and most official Bomberman games don't do much to shake up the formula (unless they shake it up so much it becomes a different game entirely)
Otoboke Ninja Colosseum and Spark World, both on SFC, are the only other games to come to mind, unless you're counting the primordial Warp & Warp.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:17 pmVolfied's amazin. :shock: I kinda slept on it getting title billing for March, and figured Surprise Attack would thoroughly eclipse it. Still more jazzed about SA on sheer unexpectedness, and it's no slouch either, but goddamn, got a new appreciation for this one. Fiendish. :o
I did not realize until this week that Volfied got a PS1 release, due to the weird naming in all regions. Japan release was in D2's Simple 1500 series and was called "Simple 1500 Series Vol.080 - The Jintori", with Volfied noted in katakana only. And then it actually did get a North America release, which I don't think I've ever seen, where they renamed it "Qix Neo". Maybe common knowledge, but if anyone else was as clueless as me, there ya go!

I do think it's a fun game. But for this one, I have the Egret II mini with the spinner and it's on the cart of trackball/spinner games, so I guess that's gonna be my go-to way to play it at home.