Weekly Online Shmeet #4 (Viewpoint)

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Gemant wrote:in stage 1 there is 1 star
Please, do tell ^_^
I do hope that circular barrier isn't involved in uncovering it -_-;;

And a maximum of 81,560pts? for the medals? Doesn't Blazing Star use a similar value? ^_-
CIT

Post by CIT »

BTW, the instruction manual says that 3310 points stands for "Sammy points".

Since 3 = "san", and can also be read "mi". ^^

I'm sure "81560" has some meaning too, just can't make it out. It's very common in Japanese to use numbers to abbreviate something.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

So Autofire is legal then :)

I do shoot the bubbles in the crab, but still it's easy to dodge.... I shoot them because they give me a few points :). It's just a matter to stay at one side, then find a gap between the bullets and just move to the other side quickly, as most bubbles will be heading to your previous direction. I think there's a name for this technique, but I can't remember... (Anyway, I think it's basically the same thing you said Icarus :D)

I've lost more lifes to the claws than to the bubbles... I tend to forget he will send his claws after me, heh :)

The 2nd form is incredibly easy, his shots always come at the same places, and if you can put 4 or 5 full charged beams on it, he dies.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

Icarus wrote:
Gemant wrote:in stage 1 there is 1 star
Please, do tell ^_^
I do hope that circular barrier isn't involved in uncovering it -_-;;

And a maximum of 81,560pts? for the medals? Doesn't Blazing Star use a similar value? ^_-
In View Point there are a tons of secrets...

golden star bonus
1up bonus
NOZO bonus

max value for golden star is 81560 (the same score of blazing star)

in this very easy game (because is a mnemonic game), autofire is not important, but for very high score performance (3.000.000+) is necessary
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Now I know about the star medals. 1UP bonus I assume you're either referring to the Extends you get from score (of which there are two that I know of) or from items (wherever they are), or end of game bonuses.

What's a NOZO bonus? No Options? No bombing?
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

Icarus wrote:Now I know about the star medals. 1UP bonus I assume you're either referring to the Extends you get from score (of which there are two that I know of) or from items (wherever they are), or end of game bonuses.
in all games, 1up is not extend for hi-score, but 1up is a single 1up bonus icon. In View Point this bonus icon is represented like a golden sphere.

Icarus wrote:What's a NOZO bonus? No Options? No bombing.
Nozo (in japanese is "secret" or "mistery") is option item when you have already option item. Nozo is the same of golden star bonus.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

naturally this photo is not worth for this View Point contest, but is indicative... this is my very old score perform in august 1999:

Gemant

Post by Gemant »

this is an exemple of NOZO eh eh eh :lol:

good luck for this contest
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Gemant wrote:very easy game
SHUT. UP.

Hm, that bonus is interesting. I usually get a homing bomb there.
Last edited by Tomtom on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Wow, autofire really made a difference for this run. :)

Punkfox -173,770 - Stage 3 - MAME

EDIT: Another improvement - Grah, that third boss is annoying.

Punkfox - 269,990 - Stage 3 - MAME
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for the info Gemant ^_^

RE: Stage1 Star Medal:
- Thanks for the screenshot, Gemant, I figured out how to get the star medal. Didn't expect to use two bombs doing so, though -_-;; Not sure if it's even worth getting it at this time, since I'm so hopeless at the game.

RE: 1UP Item:
- I haven't seen any around. Is there some special conditions for their appearance or a spcific location for it to appear? An extra life would be most welcome in stage4 ^_-

RE: NOZO Bonus:
- I still don't understand how that Homing Missile pickup transformed into an Option. Not only is this game really annoying, it's also got the weirdest secrets ever -_-;;
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

Icarus wrote:
RE: Stage1 Star Medal:
- Thanks for the screenshot, Gemant, I figured out how to get the star medal. Didn't expect to use two bombs doing so, though -_-;; Not sure if it's even worth getting it at this time, since I'm so hopeless at the game.
first star is simple. Destroy a big rotary cross, then, 10 disc enemies appear, if you destroy them, first star appear.
Icarus wrote:RE: 1UP Item:
- I haven't seen any around. Is there some special conditions for their appearance or a spcific location for it to appear? An extra life would be most welcome in stage4 ^_-
1up items is very very difficult.... special location and special conditions are necessary for stage 3 and stage 4. For stage 6 it's easy: you must have option item only.

Icarus wrote:RE: NOZO Bonus:
- I still don't understand how that Homing Missile pickup transformed into an Option. Not only is this game really annoying, it's also got the weirdest secrets ever -_-;;
Homing not trasforming in Option. Option appear at the same time of Homing. In that photo I had as soon as taken the Homing
Edge

Post by Edge »

Here's my Score:

Edge - 357'430 - Stage 4 - Mame

Stage 3 boss is really annoying. Could only kill him with the help of bombs. And, yeah later stages are a lot about memorization. :?
But I find this game still fun. Even if the Container section of Stage 4 REALLY sucks! >_<

For future weeks, I think Auto Fire usage should be cleared from the beginning. Because I think Auto Fire gives an advantage, even if in this particular game it might be a small advantage. (Haven't tried View Point with Auto Fire yet, to compare...)

@Gemant:
How about trying one round View Point again and competing with a score in this week? :)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Tomtom - 299,400 - 3

I think I've officially got the crab boss DOWN :D. I'm getting better at dodging the bee's first pattern, but I'm still far from good at it. The second pattern, I think, is easier than the first (only the first spray presents a problem), but I died before I got through it. The only star I get consistently is the school of fish one, but if Icarus isn't worried about it I don't think I'll get too upset either ;)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Stage... SIX ? This has SIX stages? I was hoping the game ended by stage 4.. heeh :D

That 3rd boss is so goddamn annoying...
CIT

Post by CIT »

I just tried MAME with autofire and it basically turns Viewpoint into Thunderforce. No way you could ever fire that fast even button mashing on a regular Neo stick.
Anyway, I'll just use MAME from now on as well, but I'm not sure auto should be allowed in later shmeets. At least not if we are to play the original arcade versions of games.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

So let's vote for autofire or something. I think it's unfair to people who may be playing on a PCB or some other hardware that don't allow autofire, Or just don't want to install another emulator on the PC. I think we should made a poll or something.

I still haven't tested it, so I can't say how it's like, but I've been playing without autofire...
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

I'm not even going to post my score!

I only got like 41,500! And that's in Stage one!

This game blows for me. :(
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Nah, play a little more and you'll get better for sure :)

And even if you get the last place, post your score anyway... it's all for the fun, it doesn't matter if you are in the last place.

After all, there will always be someone who will be in the last place :)
landshark

Post by landshark »

Seven Force wrote:I just tried MAME with autofire and it basically turns Viewpoint into Thunderforce. No way you could ever fire that fast even button mashing on a regular Neo stick.
Anyway, I'll just use MAME from now on as well, but I'm not sure auto should be allowed in later shmeets. At least not if we are to play the original arcade versions of games.
I agree. I'm using 2 fingers on a single button to shoot fast enough to kill some enemies and my hand gets tired. I'll give autofire a try later - but I still think it should not be allowed. I imagine it will be very helpful on that bastard crab boss.

Landshark - 101,080 - Stage 2 - MAME
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

So withdraw my score, then.
I'd rather not have the hassle of an autofire debate hanging over my participation in the smeets. ^_-
CIT

Post by CIT »

No, why?

Since it wasn't clear from the outset whether or not auto is allowed, we should just allow it for the remainder of the shmeet, that's what I've been saying all along. I'll just use MAME + auto too then (my score will still suck, anyway ;) ).

But for the next shmeets I don't think it should be allowed anymore.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Exactly, it's nothing like we are throwing punches or something :)
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Shatterhand wrote:Nah, play a little more and you'll get better for sure :)

And even if you get the last place, post your score anyway... it's all for the fun, it doesn't matter if you are in the last place.

After all, there will always be someone who will be in the last place :)
OK I try again later. ;)
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Fighter17 - 84,200 - Stage 2 - Kawaks (arcade emulator)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Been playing Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time to relax tonight, but had a quick go before bed.

Icarus - 644,760 - 4 - [AUTO]

Not bad. Got all the star medals up to the fourth stage on a good No Miss run, had my star medals up to maximum value, then proceeded to botch it up all over the place at the section before the containers >_<# I understand the third boss' behaviours now, and can take it down with a minimum of one bomb needed, which is helpful for stage4, as I need a bomb to start off the stage.

I'll see stage5 yet...

This is MAME .inp verified. You'll need these:

http://www.featheredwings.net/external/ ... 1u5-bin.7z
http://www.featheredwings.net/external/vp_644k_icr.rar

Make sure you enable "Match Game Refresh Rate" in the Default Game Options menus. Everything else is default.

SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Has anyone considered increasing the autofire delay for MAMEplus?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I don't want anyone to get angry about this; it's just not worth it (the game is frustrating enough). This is supposed to be fun.

But going forward we need to establish whether or not autofire can be used. Or a rate of autofire since some people may have issues with carpal tunnel or something.

If autofire is allowed, that's ok but it needs to be stated as common rules are "no autofire" and some may have had an advantage because of it.

Ultimately, Ramus should make the decision since he is supplying the prizes. Also the use of mame versus other systems when applicable.

And holy crap - after watching Icarus' replay, level 4 just does not look like fun.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Skyline - 311,890 - Stage 3 - MAME

No autofire.

Kiken was right. That Stage 3 boss is a complete bitch!
Edge

Post by Edge »

Congratulations Icarus. :D
That's really a good Stage 4 scrore.

Today is no View Point day for me. Died and died on the stupid spots in the first two stages. So I guess I'll try tomorrow again.

About the Auto Fire discussion:

I think we should choose if Auto Fire is allowed for future games in the shmeets. What about a general rule:
Auto Fire is generally allowed (maybe at a human like Fire Rate?).
BUT for some games Auto Fire will be disallowed and this have to be clearly stated in the first post of the shmeet week.

Besides, I have one question that has nothing to do with the shmeet:
Does any of you know if you can use Auto Fire on a Wolf Mame inp?