Dungeon crawler recomendations

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Dungeon crawler recomendations

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I know it's basically a joke in a bonus dungeon. But maybe you should spoiler tag the ZHP thing.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Wizardry mobile game actually looks like it could be kind of cool??
Maybe??
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I'd heard about it, but didn't look into it much. Now that I have, it does look like it could be good.

I like what they've done for the player's avatar. Normally that schmuck is some kind of savior or prodigy dipshit (always some story/gameplay dissonance when the player falls a little short of the doctor's tactical brilliance), but here you're just this super-not-dying-guy brought along as a resurrection bot. Still a "chosen one" savior archetype, but not obnoxious about it.

And happens to be extremely relevant to the perma-death issue. At least they know that much of what they're doing. A clueless newb or a greedy suit looking for a quick cashgrab would have no conception that it was a problem that needed an in-world solution to maintain the veneer of belief, as outlandish the excuse might be.

There was a Wizardry Online that existed for a year. It had perma-death. Nevermind why a solitary dungeon crawling franchise needed an MMO. It's dead now. It can't hurt anybody.

But I do recommend playing it as soon as you're able if you're interested. (Very surprised by the english promotional material. They're really releasing it in english? Don't they know it's completely dead here?) The franchise is very cursed, which is how these new guys got their hands on it. Hopefully they can do right by it. Not everyone will be happy, that never happens with anything, but hopefully some will.

As for the gacha mechanic... I'd hope they go with a Genshin style one. Where it's only cosmetically a gacha, and is actually in fact a single product transaction with a "surprise discount" mechanic attached. Many gacha gamers think that model is "stingy", but they're gambling addicts their brains don't work right and they have it entirely backwards. The standard model requires endlessly escalating power creep to remain viable. The ton of variety and stimulation the slot machine gives is largely an illusion: you're not able to use your favorite characters. They'll be unusable garbage within a couple of months.

Just think about it. The smallest increment of power you can give someone in a game is +20%. That's an extra hit for every five hits you do, a player can barely feel that. Within five generations of power creep, the original character is a 1 and the newest thing is a 2.48832. Less than half as strong. A 10 minute fight becomes a 25 minute fight by using the old one. (It's also wonderfully ridiculous when stat screens start looking like YuGiOh cards. Or even specific skills themselves. YuGiOh cards within YuGiOh cards.)

Anyway, they're incremental games meant to be played for months or years. You can't appreciate what you have if it's just going to be replaced 30 minutes from now, and you can't want something you already have. And whatever you acquire within a game will be gone the moment you stop playing it. The slower pace of things in this genre addresses those kinds of things. They really are single player-focused MMO's.

You might find it fun for a week or two at the very least. If it's good. I'm not sure how many people will actually invest that kind of time into living in an imaginary dungeon, it's a niche genre for a reason.

So I expect it to last 15 months. Rounded off to the nearest fiscal year, which is usually a March. Play it fast while you can or watch it live and die from a distance.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1 ... 3761606656

Demon Gaze, Demon Gaze II, and The Lost Child will be delisted from eShop/PSN soon.

Demon Gaze EXTRA is a separate thing and will still be available, looks like.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Ghegs wrote:https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1 ... 3761606656

Demon Gaze, Demon Gaze II, and The Lost Child will be delisted from eShop/PSN soon.

Demon Gaze EXTRA is a separate thing and will still be available, looks like.
Natural Doctrine, The Lost Child and God Wars too.

Delisting games always sucks.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

And speaking of Demon Gaze Extra...I just finished it, got the Normal End at ~46 hours and beat the Last Optional Boss at ~56 hours.

With only five characters to a party I ended up having a more defensive-focused one, with two melee fighters, one tank, and two spell-casters. The spell-casters were mostly doing defensive duty as even high-level magics didn't seem to do much damage despite my spending all the wizard's skill points on the stat that should be increasing that. So I just used her for buffs and debuffs, and my healer ended up making my characters nearly immortal since she could throw out a spell to heal all characters for a large amount of HP, every single turn, due to regenerating MP so much every turn it would never actually decrease.

The boss battles were a bit weak, they were all too similar mechanically. Most (all?) of them summon monsters that then guard the boss, forcing you to kill them first before being able to fully focus on the boss. And the bosses can heal themselves A LOT. Several times it came down to just luck if I was able to deal enough damage on them before they'd heal up and be back to nearly full health. Though now afterwards I realize I could've used some skills to do more damage faster on them.

On the whole I think I like the game a bit better as a game than Stranger of Sword City. One thing that largely attributes to this is that instead of being able to switch character classes willy-nilly, which leads to homogenization of characters since you want all of them to have the really good skills, in Demon Gaze it's limited to finding Artifacts which can grant you the skills of other classes. And the Artifacts are unique, so you can't have everybody dual-wielding dual-handed weapons, or have that super useful skill that makes them immune to one-hit kills. This is a good thing, in my mind anyway.

On the other hand, I do prefer the graphical style, world and plot of Stranger of Sword City. Demon Gaze is very anime in this regard. Not to say Stranger isn't anime at all, but Demon Gaze goes the extra mile with some semi-lewd scenes, with art pieces that would put you on a watch list if you were playing the game in a public place. It's not as bad as the Moero Chronicles/Crystal titles as it's not constantly in your face like in those games, it's only a few specific scenes, but still.

So overall, I'd recommend the game. I'd probably rank it as my second-highest Experience title I've played, after Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi. Though I can easily see some people ranking Stranger of Sword City over it. That one does admittedly have a bit more meat on its bones, but it also has some mechanics I don't personally like. Shame Demon Gaze II never got a Switch port.

As it happens, I actually have two physical copies of Demon Gaze Extra for Switch. I bought the Asian release sometime last year, since it has English support after downloading a patch. And like two weeks after the game arrived, Red Art Games announced they were going to publish the game physically in the west. And since I hadn't started the game yet, I figured I could wait until I got that instead. So if anybody wants the Asian release of Demon Gaze Extra, throw me a PM and we can work something out.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the return on DGE Ghegs.

You seem to be playing so many of them Dungeon Crawlers, and I just could not find the strength to dwelve into one yet because of how time consuming they usually are, I just fear to choose the bad one for my taste.
Would you care to make a little tier list of yours ? With some small details of what you liked and what you did not.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

guigui wrote:You seem to be playing so many of them Dungeon Crawlers, and I just could not find the strength to dwelve into one yet because of how time consuming they usually are, I just fear to choose the bad one for my taste.
Would you care to make a little tier list of yours ? With some small details of what you liked and what you did not.
Sure, I can do something like that. So with the obvious disclaimer that this is just my own personal view on the games...

S-Tier
Potato Flowers in Full Bloom (Fantastic title with which to dip your toe into the genre due to player-friendliness, short length, and massive amounts of charm)
Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi (The culmination of Experience's...experience in developing DRPGs. Just great overall)
Dungeon Encounters (DRPG stripped down to its very basics, and it's distilled to near-perfection. The whole feels much greater than the sum of its parts)

A-Tier
Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Wears its Wizardry-influence on its sleeve, though it's not quite as punishing)
The Lost Child (Fun puzzles and the monster catching mechanic allows for many customization possibilities to your party)
Demon Gaze Extra (Just solid overall)
Stranger of Sword City Revisited (Couldn't decide whether to put this in A or B tier. Another solid Experience title, with some mechanics that don't quite hit the mark)

B-Tier
Severed (Fruit Ninja: The DRPG. Very fun if a bit simplistic)
Saviors of Sapphire Wings (Feels like it was created as a gateway DRPG for people used to regular JRPGs to try out the genre, with how the characters and the story are tied together)
Swords and Serpents (Fun exploration, overly simplistic combat)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (Too much story for my taste, absolute truckload of mechanics and stats to keep track of. "Less is more" is not a philosophy that was applied to this game)

C-Tier
The Keep (Cool magic system where combining runes in different ways results in different spells, otherwise kinda meh)
Labyrinth of Galleria: Moon Society (Like Refrain, but with even more story and mechanics. Certain late-game things made me drop it completely)

D-Tier
Moero Crystal H (One's enjoyment of the game is heavily tied to how much they enjoy and/or tolerate ecchi anime overload)

---

Excluded from the list: Heroes of Monkey Tavern, Moonshades, Operencia: The Stolen Sun, and Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown. I played all of them a little bit, but not enough that I feel I could properly rank them. That said, I probably won't be returning to Moonshades or Operencia because I played both for 3-4 hours and they just didn't grab me. I do want to try Heroes of Monkey Tavern and Amberland again and give them a proper go.

If you're curious about the genre but haven't taken the plunge yet (I recall you stating you've played some demos at least), I can wholeheartedly recommend Potato Flowers in Full Bloom as starting point. I was at the same situation, the games were enticing but I was concerned I wouldn't really get into them after all. Then I played Potato Flowers' demo, liked it a lot, so I bought the full game and here I am now. The game's not expensive, not very long (my playthrough took 16 hours) and it's not overly difficult either. In a way I'm still chasing the high Potato Flowers gave me, because it has by far the most charm and some great quality-of-life -features I've yet to see in other DRPGs.

My videos
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, did anyone get that Etrian collection thingy yet? I'm still thinking about getting it, but I'm also still disappointed that they didn't put the 3DS stuff in.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Ghegs wrote:A-Tier
Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Wears its Wizardry-influence on its sleeve, though it's not quite as punishing)
The Lost Child (Fun puzzles and the monster catching mechanic allows for many customization possibilities to your party)
Stranger of Sword City Revisited (Couldn't decide whether to put this in A or B tier. Another solid Experience title, with some mechanics that don't quite hit the mark)
For anyone interested in The Lost Child, it's being delisted from the digital console storefronts in one week:
https://noisypixel.net/nis-america-deli ... june-2023/
Steven

Post by Steven »

Digital is the future
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:Digital is the future
Yeah. :cry:

I expect to see more and more of this as time goes on where the western publisher of a game is not the owner in Japan. I didn't check every title on that list but I assume that is what happened with all the games here. The Lost Child is a Kadokawa game.

It already happened with Utawararerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth several years ago which were licensed by Atlus, so it's not just a NIS thing either.

It's no surprise that a license to a game isn't forever, and it's likely not worth the cost of renewal since by the time this happens sales aren't going to be much.

Funny this never comes up in any of the articles or threads about how wonderful digital is and how anyone that doesn't agree is a neanderthal. :roll:

----
EDIT: They're all games NIS licensed from Kadokawa. Aside from licenses expiring in general, perhaps this has something to do with Kadokawa having divested the company of most (all?) of their game properties? I don't know the details but I remember reading something about that along with the announcement of the Lollipop Chainsaw remaster.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just under a year ago, at least part of Kadokawa's internal dev team left to make Dragami Games and they somehow managed to take the licenses for some of the games/IPs with them. I know that they got both Relayer and God Wars, but it seems they have The Lost Child and Demon Gaze as well. They probably just chose not to renew the licensing for those games for some reason. I wonder if they will still be available in Japan.
Touhoufan7271

Post by Touhoufan7271 »

Do you guys know any good kings field type games? I have played lunacid, But i did not like it that much.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The Etrian collection has no value to me personally, besides a cudgel to use in the awful font wars of the apocalyptic wasteland we find ourselves in. (These sickos obsessed with adding empty space to everything are my enemy. As soon as I can figure out how to become a hack political cartoonist, I'd totally make "I hate these people in particular" cartoons about them.)

I was ok with this ad for it though.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

The fonts are dreadful, but the character art all looks incredible at its new resolution, and while I'm sure they're simple upscales of the DS assets, the environments feel richer and more alive, too.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Ghegs wrote: S-Tier
A-Tier
B-Tier
C-Tier
D-Tier

If you're curious about the genre but haven't taken the plunge yet (I recall you stating you've played some demos at least), I can wholeheartedly recommend Potato Flowers in Full Bloom as starting point. I was at the same situation, the games were enticing but I was concerned I wouldn't really get into them after all. Then I played Potato Flowers' demo, liked it a lot, so I bought the full game and here I am now. The game's not expensive, not very long (my playthrough took 16 hours) and it's not overly difficult either. In a way I'm still chasing the high Potato Flowers gave me, because it has by far the most charm and some great quality-of-life -features I've yet to see in other DRPGs.

Thanks a lot for the tier list, great read as always.

So I downloaded Potato Flowers demo again and beat the Demon Boss (best way to teach you that attacking is not enough btw).
Now I'm at that part overwhelming part where I have to create my team. So many stuff in skill trees and all, I'm afraid !
Any nice team composition for an effective start ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

guigui wrote: So I downloaded Potato Flowers demo again and beat the Demon Boss (best way to teach you that attacking is not enough btw).
Now I'm at that part overwhelming part where I have to create my team. So many stuff in skill trees and all, I'm afraid !
Any nice team composition for an effective start ?
I had a Warrior/Knight/Wizard -party and that got me through nicely. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that Rogues are better than Warriors for dealing damage, so maybe Rogue/Knight/Wizard -setup would be better? As long as you have a Wizard you should be fine, they're very powerful here.

My videos
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Ghegs wrote:
guigui wrote:You seem to be playing so many of them Dungeon Crawlers, and I just could not find the strength to dwelve into one yet because of how time consuming they usually are, I just fear to choose the bad one for my taste.
Sure, I can do something like that. So with the obvious disclaimer that this is just my own personal view on the games...

S-Tier
Potato Flowers in Full Bloom (Fantastic title with which to dip your toe into the genre due to player-friendliness, short length, and massive amounts of charm)
Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi (The culmination of Experience's...experience in developing DRPGs. Just great overall)
Dungeon Encounters (DRPG stripped down to its very basics, and it's distilled to near-perfection. The whole feels much greater than the sum of its parts)

A-Tier

B-Tier
Severed (Fruit Ninja: The DRPG. Very fun if a bit simplistic)
Saviors of Sapphire Wings (Feels like it was created as a gateway DRPG for people used to regular JRPGs to try out the genre, with how the characters and the story are tied together)
Swords and Serpents (Fun exploration, overly simplistic combat)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (Too much story for my taste, absolute truckload of mechanics and stats to keep track of. "Less is more" is not a philosophy that was applied to this game)

C-Tier
The Keep (Cool magic system where combining runes in different ways results in different spells, otherwise kinda meh)
Labyrinth of Galleria: Moon Society (Like Refrain, but with even more story and mechanics. Certain late-game things made me drop it completely)

D-Tier
Moero Crystal H (One's enjoyment of the game is heavily tied to how much they enjoy and/or tolerate ecchi anime overload)

---

Excluded from the list: Heroes of Monkey Tavern, Moonshades, Operencia: The Stolen Sun, and Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown. I played all of them a little bit, but not enough that I feel I could properly rank them. That said, I probably won't be returning to Moonshades or Operencia because I played both for 3-4 hours and they just didn't grab me. I do want to try Heroes of Monkey Tavern and Amberland again and give them a proper go.

Thank you for these recommendations. While I love the concept behind Dungeon Crawlers, there's something about the combat design in the ones I tried (Some Wizardries, some Elminages and some DRPGs from PSP) that looks just wrong. The thing that bugs me the most is that most of the combat encounters revolves around "mashing the attack option to win", and all of a sudden you encounter some enemy that will require a bit more thinking, but they are really rare.

The exploration part of the games, though, is something that I find amazing and atmospheric. I even enjoy drawing my own maps to play them since it's such a fun experience.

Recently I started playing Dungeon Encounters and I must admit that it's one of the few ones that "clicked" with me (aside from real time ones like Legend of Grimrock and Eye of the Beholder). I love the fact that the combat system works almost like a puzzle game, where you have to manage Defensive and Magic protection, along with HP. Granted, I'm not very far into the game (7F if I'm not wrong), but I'm really excited to keep playing on and exploring the dungeon and the combat system.

Edit: Have you tried Labyrinth of Touhou? This is one I haven't played yet but some dungeon crawler aficionados that I know say that it's God Tier when it comes to the genre. There's even a second one that it's not on steam yet, and it's said to be even better than the first.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The Lost Child is on sale (at least on eShop) at -90% right now. They're practically giving it away before it's delisted, that's nice of them.
LichbannMejolaro wrote:The exploration part of the games, though, is something that I find amazing and atmospheric. I even enjoy drawing my own maps to play them since it's such a fun experience.
Exploration is a big part of the appeal to myself as well. I drew my own map on graph paper when I played Swords and Serpents and it really added to the experience and immersion.
LichbannMejolaro wrote:Have you tried Labyrinth of Touhou? This is one I haven't played yet but some dungeon crawler aficionados that I know say that it's God Tier when it comes to the genre. There's even a second one that it's not on steam yet, and it's said to be even better than the first.
I haven't played Labyrinth of Touhou, no. I don't play games much on PC anymore, consoles are just so much more convenient and fun for me. Not sure if this title would appeal to me - having 12 characters in your party seems like a hassle and would lead to tons of micromanagement. I didn't care for the party sizes in Refrain or Galleria either. But it's not like I actually know how the game handles it. I still have plenty of console DRPGs to go through before I tackle ones on PC (and I do have some that I bought on sales and such).

My videos
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've never played an Experience dungeon crawler. I've been thinking about getting into one of those, or maybe grabbing Kowloon High School Chronicle. Any suggestions? My favorite DRPG is SMT Strange Journey, without any doubt. So I really prefer a DRPG that has a story and characters that work well. I like the Etrian games, but the characters in those titles, while fun, never really did much to immerse me in the world. Etrian IV was my favorite because it had the world map system, where you could explore around in your ship. I like the extra layer of exploration that added. You not only had to get through the dungeons, but sometimes you had to discover the route to reach the next dungeon.

Anyway yeah, Strange Journey rules and I've been thinking I want to play something else like that.
Spoiler
My feelings on Redux are pretty whatever. I enjoyed some of the extra content. The Doi art is off-putting. The new story elements don't really work. The new true endings are overly positive (some kind of "extra good" chaos outcome is too silly.) I think the extra dungeons will frustrate players on a gameplay level. I didn't mind all the traps but they definitely became excessive in places. I wouldn't refuse to replay Redux if that's what I had access to, but I also don't feel Strange Journey Vanilla is an inferior game to Redux in any way. It IS somewhat easier due to the lack of extra added challenge bosses/dungeons, but that's not a bad thing.

Although... On the subject of SJR's difficulty... The skills you can give the main character, as well as the convenience features you can activate for combat, allow you to absolutely trivialize all encounters outside of bosses. The main character becomes overpowered as fuck, which really doesn't fit with how he's supposed to be in-universe.

But nothing I mentioned is a deal-breaker and like I said, at the end of the day, it's still Strange Journey. Strange Journey is my 2nd favorite SMT game of all time, just behind Devil Survivor Overlocked and probably just ahead of Nocturne.
Based on what little research I've done, Labyrinth of Yomi is looking appealing. Sounds like people here like it as well?
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:Edit: Have you tried Labyrinth of Touhou? This is one I haven't played yet but some dungeon crawler aficionados that I know say that it's God Tier when it comes to the genre. There's even a second one that it's not on steam yet, and it's said to be even better than the first.
The one on Steam/Switch is the second one, it was rebranded. The third one has a release target of around the end of this year and will have an official English translation.

The large party quickly becomes intuitive in battles but it's true that it results in a lot of pre-fight management. Juggling between and heavily reconfiguring characters to puzzle out boss fights, and then executing the fights correctly, makes up the meat of the game. The exploration aspect is pedestrian for the most part, with linear incremental progress through mazes/switch puzzles. Nothing comparable to Dungeon Encounters et al.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Grrrrrr, wanted to grab Lost Child but misread the deslisting date as the 19th

Oh well, I guess I really don't need anything else in my backlog...
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I was literally one day too late to pick up Lost Child. :lol:
Lander

Post by Lander »

Any recommendations for crawlers that play like Dungeon Master or Grimrock, but don't necessitate mouse input for combat?

I enjoy the real-time square-dancing mechanics, but it would be interesting to play one designed around more immediate control over the action. Loved Fight Knight, but that's more about instanced random battles.

Also, what's an Experience Dungeon Crawler? As in focused on character leveling versus primarily gear-based progression?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Lander wrote:
Also, what's an Experience Dungeon Crawler? As in focused on character leveling versus primarily gear-based progression?
Nah. Experience Inc are game devs who primarily make dungeon crawlers. They've made games like Labyrinth of Yomi, Stranger of Sword City, Demon Gaze II and the Operation Abyss titles. Just another group of japanese devs producing first person dungeon crawls now that the west has left the genre behind.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

This style of game's not my cup of tea (I prefer turn based or King's Field style real-time), but I know there's a pretty extensive list at DungeonCrawlers.org of real time combat games, and I found one that might fit:

Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle

https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/ha ... ki-castle/

It looks like you might use the R buttons to select the active character, and then the 4 face buttons are mapped to 4 actions?

There's also Heroes of the Monkey Tavern which may work: https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/he ... ey-tavern/

I'm not familiar with any PC games that eschew mouse input for combat. Some of them may have keyboard shortcuts for each weapon/attack slot though, but they all seem to assume they'll be mouse driven to a large extent.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Sima Tuna wrote:Nah. Experience Inc are game devs who primarily make dungeon crawlers. They've made games like Labyrinth of Yomi, Stranger of Sword City, Demon Gaze II and the Operation Abyss titles. Just another group of japanese devs producing first person dungeon crawls now that the west has left the genre behind.
Oh right, that makes sense. I've seen bits of Stranger of Sword City and it looked quite compelling, but also like it might be the brand of balls hard JP crawler that tends to scare me off :)
Seems like a genre sort of comparable to STG, in that there appears to be a difficulty arms race between developers and expert players to create ever more punishing dungeons.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:This style of game's not my cup of tea (I prefer turn based or King's Field style real-time), but I know there's a pretty extensive list at DungeonCrawlers.org of real time combat games, and I found one that might fit:

Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle

https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/ha ... ki-castle/

It looks like you might use the R buttons to select the active character, and then the 4 face buttons are mapped to 4 actions?

There's also Heroes of the Monkey Tavern which may work: https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/he ... ey-tavern/

I'm not familiar with any PC games that eschew mouse input for combat. Some of them may have keyboard shortcuts for each weapon/attack slot though, but they all seem to assume they'll be mouse driven to a large extent.
Nice, cheers! I've only done Wizardry 8 for turn-based, but enjoyed it enough to try the solo faerie whack-a-don run. Rad game.

Hyakki Castle looks really interesting; nice presentation, seemingly no input limits outside of cooldowns, and the splitscreen party mechanic has footsies potential.
But alas, it was delisted without explanation a while after getting a big V2 polish patch :| one to poke around for, I suppose!

And it looks like the Monkey Tavern DM takes a harsh view on squaredancing, and nails you with a full-party damage penalty if you 'escape' by moving during combat :shock:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Real-time dungeon crawling isn't my cup of tea. Not with a full party anyway. I just lack the brainpower to manage so many spinning plates. Nor do I enjoy the backwards/sidewards dance of "haha I hit you and then I move so you can't hit me." Not very bloody sporting, is it? :lol:

If I want to play a game with real-time combat while crawling muh dungeons then I'll probably go for a full-on action RPG/ImSim like Morrowind. But the real-time element removes part of the "relaxing" factor for me that makes dungeon crawl games so enjoyable.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lander wrote:Hyakki Castle looks really interesting;

But alas, it was delisted without explanation a while after getting a big V2 polish patch :|
Oh darn, I didn't realize it had been delisted. ;w; I'm sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up. There's gotta be something else on that list that'll hopefully scratch your itch...?

edit: It looks like the Switch release is still available at least, even if the PC version's gone from Steam.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.