OSSC Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by Josh128 »

Looks very similar to what RT5X can already do on 1080p sets with 480p sources. Tate style scanlines.

https://i.imgur.com/vMXBOkX.jpg
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

Hi Marqs. Really happy with the device so far. I've tested with my Windows 98/DOS pc (70hz refresh rates and the like) and it's handled them with aplomb. It also upscales my Virtua Fighter arcade boards (24khz/57.5ish hz) beautifully. The cleanest I've ever seen them. Again, the high refresh rate output and BFI looks absolutely fantastic and it's really a game changer for me.
Regarding the HDR flag, is there a chance of true Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020 color-corrected HDR output? Currently it seems to flag HLG to my Panasonic OLED - is that to be expected?
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
marqs

Post by marqs »

Das Muel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:37 pmRegarding the HDR flag, is there a chance of true Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020 color-corrected HDR output? Currently it seems to flag HLG to my Panasonic OLED - is that to be expected?
I suppose you refer to tone response curve (i.e. gamma) and not the primaries? I believe TVs should be able to process HLG gamma with Rec 601/709 primaries which is what we want. The output is still 8bpc so conversion from Rec.709 gamma to HLG within Pro would mean some loss of precision. BTW, which Panasonic OLED you have? I have JZ1500 which I think is one of their last models with built-in BFI.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Is anyone going to be selling kits? I don't really need another scaler but it might be a fun project to put together.

Also interested in some CPS2 Digital kits, but might just order a couple boards and BOM myself since I'd want one for my CPS2 and one for my MVS.
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

marqs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:15 pm
Das Muel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:37 pmRegarding the HDR flag, is there a chance of true Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020 color-corrected HDR output? Currently it seems to flag HLG to my Panasonic OLED - is that to be expected?
I suppose you refer to tone response curve (i.e. gamma) and not the primaries? I believe TVs should be able to process HLG gamma with Rec 601/709 primaries which is what we want. The output is still 8bpc so conversion from Rec.709 gamma to HLG within Pro would mean some loss of precision. BTW, which Panasonic OLED you have? I have JZ1500 which I think is one of their last models with built-in BFI.
HDR is a complex beast and it's largely beyond my feeble brain but the image I'm getting looks oversaturated to my eye. (Edit: changing the TV's colour gamut manually to rec. 709/601 seems to have done the trick. Wow. I'm just playing some Dreamcast games and they look absolutely amazing in this mode.)

Should I set my TV to "rgb full range" when using the HDR flag? When set to "auto" the TV seems to leave it at "normal" levels which seems to crush blacks somewhat. Seems my TV needs a bit of a helping hand in correctly displaying the signal.

Yeah I have a JZ1500 myself actually and it does have BFI built in but the 120hz output from the Pro actually makes it practical to use for me (brighter and much less flickery than 60hz). I believe I read somewhere that activating BFI via the TV itself incurs a little extra lag and I've observed a slight tint to the image most visible during full white fields which I can't detect while using the OSSC's own BFI? Either way the Pro's 120hz output mode is really great. Combined with HDR it's superb.

Anyway, people should be singing the praises of this thing from the rooftops in my opinion. The ADC is the best I've ever used, it's handled every unusual signal I've thrown at it so far, the deinterlacing is great and the 120hz output and HDR are a genuine jump up for retro scalers. It's quite reasonably priced too. Fantastic device.
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

I'm having a little difficulty understanding 120Hz output and BFI on the Junker wiki.

Are BFI and 120Hz output the same thing or is that 2 different features?

I ask because I'm wanting to know, can the Pro can output 1080p @ 120Hz in Pure Line Mode with 0 added lag?

Also, since I didn't see the question answered that other people were asking.

Do we know when the next batch will be available?

Thanks!
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Would appreciate if someone could test a Toaplan V2 board (Batsugun) as well as a 24khz source (Gradius IV). Support for these boards are the only reason for my purchase.

Also, I do hope this OSSC has resolved the jitter/wobble issues with the original OSSC. It was very noticeable with a PC CRT and really detracted from an otherwise great unit.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
marqs

Post by marqs »

Paranoid_Andy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:15 am Are BFI and 120Hz output the same thing or is that 2 different features?

I ask because I'm wanting to know, can the Pro can output 1080p @ 120Hz in Pure Line Mode with 0 added lag?
They are 2 different features, but frame-doubling is a requirement for BFI. LM modes are always are framelocked to 1x refresh rate.
Paranoid_Andy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:15 am Do we know when the next batch will be available?
My best estimate is 1.5-2.5 months.
thchardcore wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:49 am Would appreciate if someone could test a Toaplan V2 board (Batsugun) as well as a 24khz source (Gradius IV). Support for these boards are the only reason for my purchase.

Also, I do hope this OSSC has resolved the jitter/wobble issues with the original OSSC. It was very noticeable with a PC CRT and really detracted from an otherwise great unit.
I've tested Knuckle Bash which has the same sync irregularity than Batsugun, see here. 24kHz sources should be no problem in general.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Awesome. Thanks Marqs!
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

Okay good to know.

Thanks for the info and updates marqs!
dead_screem

Post by dead_screem »

Just a few questions, was the lack of rubber feet an oversight on the first batch or was it a deliberate decision? How necessary (or not) is the optional Fan? Also, does the FPGA or other components have a internal temp sensor that can be read that would make an "Auto" fan control option possible?
Can we get a standard NTSC-M 704x480 output option, instead of the SMPTE 720x480? You can change the P-LM mode to 704 manually like you could with the OSSC classic, but there is no option for this with the Scaler, A-LM or the Test Pattern.
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

I also want to know about the fan. I purchased, in advance of the next chance of my buying the OSSC Pro, the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM, before noticing the previous sentence states "5V". I only just noticed that after looking at the kicad PCB file for the fan's header without seeing it. So, you probably intend for it to be plugged into the front USB port for power, correct?

Thanks, and I'll just have to get the USB version too, if so. One can never have too many fans, I guess. ;)
dead_screem

Post by dead_screem »

jaffa225man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 pm I also want to know about the fan. I purchased, in advance of the next chance of my buying the OSSC Pro, the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM, before noticing the previous sentence states "5V". I only just noticed that after looking at the kicad PCB file for the fan's header without seeing it. So, you probably intend for it to be plugged into the front USB port for power, correct?

Thanks, and I'll just have to get the USB version too, if so. One can never have too many fans, I guess. ;)
The internal 4 pin PWM header is 5V yes, noctua sells a 5V version of the NF-A4. Not sure what you mean about USB, as USB is 5V not 12V.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

SavagePencil wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:44 am Recent post about it: https://www.retrorgb.com/add-a-fan-to-y ... c-pro.html
Thanks for that wonderful resource! I also have a background in computers, and although I haven't tested intake vs exhaust, it seems obvious that as an intake, it's fighting the natural flow of warm air rising as it's displaced by cooler air falling. Anyway, to each their own. I definitely don't have the empirical evidence Bob does.
dead_screem wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:30 am
jaffa225man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 pm I also want to know about the fan. I purchased, in advance of the next chance of my buying the OSSC Pro, the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM, before noticing the previous sentence states "5V". I only just noticed that after looking at the kicad PCB file for the fan's header without seeing it. So, you probably intend for it to be plugged into the front USB port for power, correct?

The internal 4 pin PWM header is 5V yes, noctua sells a 5V version of the NF-A4. Not sure what you mean about USB, as USB is 5V not 12V.
Thanks for saying it has an internal header for the fan (which I didn't see in the kicad PCB file). That will mean that the front USB port remains free to be used for other purposes, which is great depending upon what they become. I indeed bought the 12V variant of the NF-A4x10, before noticing I shouldn't have. The 5V version is sometimes sold with a USB adapter, since yes, USB is 5V. Only because I didn't see the fan header, I was thinking it would be plugged into the front USB port and thus the USB-adapter version would be needed. It's good it isn't.
Last edited by jaffa225man on Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dead_screem

Post by dead_screem »

jaffa225man wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:15 am Thanks for saying it has an internal header for the fan (which I didn't see in the kicad PCB file). That will mean that the front USB port remains free to be used for other purposes, which is great depending upon what they become. I indeed bought the 12V variant of the NF-A4x10, before noticing I shouldn't have. The 5V version is sometimes sold with a USB adapter, since yes, USB is 5V. Only because I didn't see the fan header, I was thinking it would be plugged into the front USB port and thus the USB-adapter version would be needed. It's good it isn't.
That's why I was confused. Didn't realize you didn't know it had an internal header.
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

dead_screem wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:19 am That's why I was confused. Didn't realize you didn't know it had an internal header.
Yeah, and I realize it makes even less sense to use a PWM fan on the flat 5V USB would supply, but I also hadn't considered there is a Fan PWM (speed) option in the Settings menu, according to the wiki, which means there must be a header. :roll:
marqs

Post by marqs »

dead_screem wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:50 pm Just a few questions, was the lack of rubber feet an oversight on the first batch or was it a deliberate decision? How necessary (or not) is the optional Fan? Also, does the FPGA or other components have a internal temp sensor that can be read that would make an "Auto" fan control option possible?
Can we get a standard NTSC-M 704x480 output option, instead of the SMPTE 720x480? You can change the P-LM mode to 704 manually like you could with the OSSC classic, but there is no option for this with the Scaler, A-LM or the Test Pattern.
We did not consider rubber feet necessary, but we can think about adding those on the second batch based on feedback. Regarding 704x480, I probably need to add the option to customize output presets on the next firmware as there has been multiple similar requests. There is no temp sensor on the FPGA (at least one exposed to user) so automatic adjustment could only be done e.g. based on pixel clock frequency. Reference fan is NF-A4x10 5V PWM.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

BuckoA51 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:16 am Could any of you fine folks on here test your OSSC Pros and PS3 (with a HDCP stripper of course) ? I'm still getting a weird 90hz refresh rate reported by the OSSCP and the PS3, and I want to know if anyone else sees that, or maybe it's my HDCP stripping splitter that's the culprit.
Received today and PS3 is black screen. I assume that is hdcp at play?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Marqs, is line doubling (with or without scanlines) 384p 25KHz input to 768p a standard mode already available for this unit? Asking for Blast City cab owners who could potentially pair it with the Unico 26" 4:3 LCD as a replacement for the 25KHz CRT in their cab.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

LDigital wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:16 pm Received today and PS3 is black screen. I assume that is hdcp at play?
Yeah that's what it will be. However I should update and say we solved this. It was my PS3 outputting deep colour and my HDMI matrix lying about deep colour in the EDID it was eventually supping to OSSCP. If anyone else comes across it just disable deep colour, I don't think any PS3 games used it anyway?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I ended up connecting my ps3 with component to get around this, however I had some issues. 1080i gave a rolling image and 1080p gave a stable image but it was shrunk and off center. It looked weird. The best I could get was 720p so not great. I’ll have another play tomorrow to see if I can hdmi it again
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

LDigital wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:57 pm I ended up connecting my ps3 with component to get around this, however I had some issues. 1080i gave a rolling image and 1080p gave a stable image but it was shrunk and off center. It looked weird. The best I could get was 720p so not great. I’ll have another play tomorrow to see if I can hdmi it again
Most games will be 720p anyways, but yeah ideally you can get digital going with a cheapo splitter.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

LDigital wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:57 pm I ended up connecting my ps3 with component to get around this, however I had some issues. 1080i gave a rolling image and 1080p gave a stable image but it was shrunk and off center. It looked weird. The best I could get was 720p so not great. I’ll have another play tomorrow to see if I can hdmi it again
I’d say it’s arguably best to be feeding the OSSC Pro a 720p signal anyway. The ‘native resolution’ for the grand majority of PS3 games is actually 720p, so when you set the PS3 to 1080p the games would already be scaled up by the PS3. If you send 720p into the OSSC Pro, that line doubles perfectly to 1440p 8)
dead_screem

Post by dead_screem »

There is a slight bug with decoding the test pattern from a Koryuu (actual game output is fine). The very first line is corrupt (just a bunch of random RGB pixels). It would appear to be an error on OSSCP LineX side of things as it only happens in P-LM and A-LM modes, the scaler is fine. Also, the line stays at the very top even if you adjust the image up or down. Doesn't happen with original OSSC.
Photo of my display showing output
https://ibb.co/5xqfk3P
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

It's true that most PS3 games seem to be 1280x720, but there's quite a few games that look 720p, but actually aren't:
https://granturismo.forumfree.it/?t=69816806
So you're not escaping two scaling passes for those anyway. I think 1080p output would be more accurate for those, but 720p output would be sharper.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I'm pretty sure the PS3 either outputs 720p or 1080p automatically depending on the game. Unlike the Xbox 360, it wont attempt to upscale 720p to 1080p, except for games that have special modes like Gran Turismo 5/6.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

It's up to the developers on PS3 if the game upscales to 1080p or not, true, I'm not sure how many of the sub-720p games output 720p versus 1080p, but if they're outputting sub-720p they already have scaling built-in, so I would guess a few of them do it just to tick that 1080p box on the game packaging.

I doubt you would notice a massive difference either way.
SGGG2

Re: 360/PS3 Resolutions

Post by SGGG2 »

IIRC, a large number of 360 era titles are actually rendered at 560p (sometimes even lower). What we need is a way to force 1:1 pixel output directly on console.
Josh128

Re: 360/PS3 Resolutions

Post by Josh128 »

SGGG2 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:36 pm IIRC, a large number of 360 era titles are actually rendered at 560p (sometimes even lower). What we need is a way to force 1:1 pixel output directly on console.
Yeah if you read Digital Foundry during the whole XBox 360 vs PS3 era, they often noted the native res of many of the games and a lot seemed to be in the sub 720 range. Odd resolutions that wont scale evenly into any fixed pixel panel no matter what you do, so I think its kind of a waste of time to try to get 1:1 pixel output. It would potentially put you in a very significant letterbox if you did, and no scaler can integer scale an uneven multiple vertical resolution into a fixed pixel display, so youd always be dealing with upscaling or black bars around the image unless you are feeding a VGA CRT with a specific custom modeline.

I do suppose things like 4x of 560p could be done for a 4K panel, but youd be dealing with some overscan then-- but not a terrible amount , so something like that would be of value I guess.