Games ruined by bad voice acting

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Games ruined by bad voice acting

Post by BIL »

xxx1993 wrote:I meant Gunhound EX was more poorly written than the localized version of Assault Suits Valken.
Oh right! Yeah Cybernator got problems. What I really can't forgive is removing Satoshi "HENTAI COLONEL" Urushihara's beautiful character portraits! I get early 90s Nintendo being skittish with the ol' child soldiers and Budd Dwyer tributes, but cutting the panels is just butchery.

Maybe there was some tech reason, like EN text eating up space, or whatever. Ditching the Leynos stinger is meanwhile just the sort of ham-handed treatment de rigeur of cross-platform series at the time (see Technos fracturing their stalwart mascot Kunio into like five different, unrelated characters because Reasons)

Come to think of it, Leynos's Target Earth localisation has some cuts too. I know they censored st3's poor buddy who doesn't make it back to the dropship in time, burning to death on re-entry. Ironically that's exactly the grisly fate you save the kid from in Valken.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The lack of portraits make the story hard to follow at times - chiefly who the hell "Crea" is. It's firmly in the functional translation bracket - it mostly makes sense, there's some absolute gibberish about "Granbia" (which honestly reads like the General is called Granbia and refers to himself in the 3rd person) and the story in the manual largely contradicts what actually happens in game. But otherwise it's tolerable... and I think I'd rather put up with that than get the portraits and cut content via the PS2 version but suffer its unnecessary difficulty.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BIL wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I meant Gunhound EX was more poorly written than the localized version of Assault Suits Valken.
Oh right! Yeah Cybernator got problems. What I really can't forgive is removing Satoshi "HENTAI COLONEL" Urushihara's beautiful character portraits! I get early 90s Nintendo being skittish with the ol' child soldiers and Budd Dwyer tributes, but cutting the panels is just butchery.

Maybe there was some tech reason, like EN text eating up space, or whatever. Ditching the Leynos stinger is meanwhile just the sort of ham-handed treatment de rigeur of cross-platform series at the time (see Technos fracturing their stalwart mascot Kunio into like five different, unrelated characters because Reasons)

Come to think of it, Leynos's Target Earth localisation has some cuts too. I know they censored st3's poor buddy who doesn't make it back to the dropship in time, burning to death on re-entry. Ironically that's exactly the grisly fate you save the kid from in Valken.
At least we got a more definitive version of Leynos for the PS4 sometime ago. There's also a deleted scene in Valken where you confront the president of the enemy nation, and after a brief conversation, he shoots himself.
BIL

Post by BIL »

xxx1993 wrote:At least we got a more definitive version of Leynos for the PS4 sometime ago.
It's excellent, indeed! I still recommend the hardcore check out the MD original, which has some inimitably mean-spirited charms of its own, but PS4 Valken is much smoother and a classic in its own right. Rest well Dracue, you were too good for this shitty world.
There's also a deleted scene in Valken where you confront the president of the enemy nation, and after a brief conversation, he shoots himself.
X93 PLS (;`w´;)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/08BgTHgXGU0

Nah it's not deleted, plays out in full detail on the OG cart. :cool: Buddy gets his best Budd Dwyer on, sheeeit! Although to be fair to Budd, he was probably much less of a douchebag than Valken's proto-Hermann von RumpyPumpy fuckface!

Do you know about the post-credits scene? It's missing from most Valken fan translations that I've seen. Nice little Easter Egg, revealing that
Spoiler
Valken is Leynos's prequel. I need to add CCs, the Annotation system is long gone. Per GaijinPunch, the speaker is repeating "This is the Deep Space Research Unit, please respond. Over..." Those are the poor top-secret black project bastards who were forgotten about in TEH LEGACY OF WAR, and returned to Earth all pissed off in Leynos, a decade later! CYBERNIZED 2 SURVIVE the abyss of deep space, and armed to the teeth with forgotten pre-world KILLING TECHMOLOGY, they are a nasty BLAST FROM TEH PAST indeed! :shock:
Incidentally, the exact same scenario is presented in the German speed/thrash outfit Scanner's rather excellent album Hypertrace!

NO STEEL BARRICADE COULD SAVE THEM FROM MY RAGE (`w´メ)

Makes me wonder if someone at Masaya was a fan. Doesn't seem entirely implausible, with IREM's Holy Diver and Konami's MSX Gradius II both digging deep into the Western metal goldmine for their enemy names. :cool:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm fully aware of Valken being a prequel to Leynos. By the way, I actually prefer Hardcore Mecha over the Assault Suits series right now. It looks and plays very similar, but I had fun with it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah I'm just saying the president's demise wasn't deleted in Valken, it's right there on teh cart :o I was reading about it in the supermarket around the time, tiny grainy screenshot of homie with the piece to his head make me say "Sheeeit Japan rules" and then, I was a weeb :shock: :oops:

TOTAL ACCURACY is required here, x93! (`w´メ) :wink:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I know the president’s suicide is technically not deleted, but it was removed from the US version for a reason.
drauch

Post by drauch »

What is the reason? I need answers. :idea: :?: :!:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Castlevania SOTN
Code Veronica
RE4

I love all the games, but the voice acting is terrible. Mind you the characters in RE4 are off the charts anyway.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's okay to hate poor STEVE from CV, but RE4!?!?

The merchant! Cocky Leon! Salazar! Luis and his comments on ballistics! Oh man oh man.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

drauch wrote:What is the reason? I need answers. :idea: :?: :!:
Maybe the suicide was just too much to witness in a Nintendo game.