Top Community Mods You'd Like to See

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: Top Community Mods You'd Like to See

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: Where the original hardware is concerned, for both the PS2 and PS1, I think a good-but-still-optional, internal deinterlacing and framerate conversion solution would be an ideal solution for addressing 480i and the frequent resolution switching used by many games for these consoles.
Why do you need internal deinterlacing?
Because external deinterlacing doesn't make sense for an HDMI mod.

A mod for consoles of these generations needs to perform framerate conversion and scaling to keep its output at one specific video mode, which results in progressive output that would bypass any external deinterlacing engine; or it needs to be subject to HDMI blackouts (usually 1 to 3 seconds of complete signal loss) from continually changing video modes.

I think the UltraHDMI is a good example of why good internal deinterlacing is necessary: it performs rudimentary deinterlacing that leaves noticeable combing artifacts. I can't use my TV's deinterlacing, because the output is always progressive (480p/576p/720p/1080p; plus I always keep it in game mode, which limits it to something that looks like bob deinterlacing); and turning all that off by using Direct Mode would mean frequent blackouts from mode changes and incompatibilities with my display (doesn't accept 240p over HDMI; doesn't accept anything PAL).
strayan

Post by strayan »

nmalinoski wrote: external deinterlacing doesn't make sense for an HDMI mod.
Why does DCHDMI have an interlaced mode?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

A mod I'd really like to see is analog video INPUT for the DE10.
Marqs has done amazing things with the original OSSC hardware. But my gut is telling me that utilizing the subsidized hardware of the DE10 with a RAM expansion would allow for some very cool scaler features.

I know people automatically equate a frame buffer with 1+ frames of lag.

But the more I think about the math. The more it becomes apparent that a precisely timed scheme of inputs and outputs can guarantee that the bottom right pixel of the input frame is nearly lag free. Lagless down to the OSSC level of guarantee.

And I believe the lag for the upper left is directly proportional to how much of the frame is filled with a border. Which is why the OSSC's borderless output is low lag throughout.

So a 960p window in a 1080p frame would have less lag in the upper left pixel than a 240p window in a 1080p frame. But both cases should have nearly identical lag for the lower right pixel.

That's assuming that the output pixel rate has to be constant. If it happens to be variable somehow then the lag could be reduced further.

EDIT: lots of edits around how much lag applies.
Last edited by DirkSwizzler on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: external deinterlacing doesn't make sense for an HDMI mod.
Why does DCHDMI have an interlaced mode?
I imagine the passthrough mode was added to the DCHDMI because there's small a pile of games that don't support and can't be tricked into 480p mode, and bob deinterlacing looks bad. The Dreamcast is also a bad example of what I'm talking about, because there are tons of games on PS1, PS2, and N64 that repeatedly switch their output mode, which, like I said, would cause blackouts in a passthrough mode; but I'm not aware of any Dreamcast games that do that.

That said, I think good internal deinterlacing would also be beneficial to an HDMI mod for the Dreamcast when used with displays with slow or bad deinterlacing and/or scaling engines, because doing deinterlacing and scaling to 1080p on the mod can mean bypassing those bad video processors on the connected display, resulting is less display lag.
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

I'd love to see some device that could laglessly apply shaders, like in Retroarch. Mega Drive, in particular, looks much better to me when it's not super-sharp, but smoothed up a bit. Apparently they abandoned the filters idea for OSSC, and there is nothing now that can actually do something like that for original consoles.