Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Lord of Pirates wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:40 pm
XtraSmiley wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:08 pm
Deubeul wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:24 am

Good news: You can buy a Steam Deck, for the same price shipped you can play up to ps3/xbox360 :D
Well outside the obvious that the SD is not FPGA, I'm actually waiting for the SD2 b/c I think the screen on the SD sort of blows. I also just watched a video on the Lenovo Legion, and it's very cool. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hql6doE-Ccw&t=1062s
Trackpad and a vertical mouse mode :o.
Sure, the current Steam Deck has an IPS based LCD screen with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 -- it can display at lower resolutions including 640 x 480 as well. It's quite sharp & vivid as it is but if Valve were to release a proper Steam Deck 2 handheld, an OLED based screen would make the colors really "pop" (like with how it is with the 1st gen Vita or the 2nd gen Switch with their OLED screen setups). That'd be the huge major upgrade (along with a slimmer & lighter profile weight-wise to round things off) with the Steam Deck 2 whenever Valve gets around to announcing it down the road/pipeline -- it's coming for sure. The real question would be then, "when will it be released" (in possibly 2024-2025 or thereabouts)?

Not to mention that the Steam Deck's cooling fan vent really gets warm or hot if playing a Steam game with the graphical setting is set to "High" or "Extreme" -- it's possible to run a Steam Deck "too hot" and cause it to shut down if an adequate 3rd-party cooling fan add-on or 3rd-party Steam Deck docking station with built-in twin cooling fan setup isn't used when running triple AAA Steam games with high-end graphic setting. Best to select "Medium" graphics setting and still have the Steam Deck running a bit cooler with the factory installed stock internal cooling fan from the get-go. Of course, your mileage may vary depending how you want said Steam game to run in moderation or go "all out" performance mode-wise.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

They could do a refresh with an OLED or some other minor changes, but a major successor isn't expected until probably 2026: https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/21/2388 ... e-cpu-2025
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I love my Steamdeck for modern games even at 30 FPS. I find it magical we can play these titles in our hands.

I love my Analogue Pocket because it's the BEST way to play my Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.

What I dislike about BOTH of them is their aspect ratios are not ideal for the majority of emulation or multi generation gaming.

Seriously. Who in Valve thought "16:9 is for suckas!" Lets go taller and make it a 16:10 display and hope games support our offspec resolution..

And Same with the pocket. If I wanted an multi FPGA device with modern aesthetics. I would prefer they choose a 4:3 aspect so I could utilize its screen real estate.

It seems like emulation devices with 4:3 screens in general are underpowered for 5th plus generation leaving a lust for perfectly sized Dreamcast or GameCube in the palm of your hand in fullscreen.

It's "neat that OpenFPGA supports cores but without the filters and the tiny screen it leaves me with a sick ass Gameboy to play..

Copyright 1987
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The Pocket is a bit of a godsend, as my vision has been deteriorating and playing on those tiny screens is just a pain. Even with glasses.

I'm so old, I can't even imagine how I could ever have seen those screens. And I clearly remember playing GBA on DS with no issues. :cry:
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Ever since the latest update, GBC games are now absolutely perfect on the system.

IMO this system is just so incredible. Definitely the best way to play GB, GBC, and arguably GG games too.

Too bad it fumbles on the GBA side, but it can still handle that decently enough for most I think.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Hoagtech wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:15 pm What I dislike about BOTH of them is their aspect ratios are not ideal for the majority of emulation or multi generation gaming.
[/url]
I don't know if it's ever been brought up to Analogue, but they really should consider doing a Super Pocket of sorts, which would be a horizontally designed system with a decently sized 4:3 display and a large cartridge slot for SNES carts, with adapators for NES, Megadrive/Master System etc. Of course could use some nice display modes similarly to the Analogue Pocket, maybe some for CRT types too.