Cotton REBOOT 2(!) and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
30%

Total votes: 105

Shelcoof

Re: Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

Post by Shelcoof »

hamfighterx wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm The Japanese Switch/PS5 retail release of Rainbow Cotton has what appears to be a significant delay. Playasia emailed me today to note that the previously scheduled April 18, 2024 release date has been updated and is now listed as Dec 31, 2024 (obviously a placeholder date, but that would imply a fairly lengthy delay regardless). Of course, I had just ordered the Switch cart less than a week ago since it was getting close to release. Mmhmm.

Thanks for the info
Glad I dodged a bullet

Love the original Ok Dreamcast
I'll probably continue to enjoy it there

All these ports bow a days have such bad input delay
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hey WTF is there no teacup for this? I CAN'T HAVE COTTON WITHOUT THE TEACUP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Uh

yeah

I guess I will check this out... maybe? I'm not really sure yet.

I also just found out that Columbus Circle is reprinting Panorama Cotton and the release date is in 2 days! What the hell? How did I not know about this? Maybe this is a new batch or something, but 1983 is getting them in on the 28th. I don't really like this game because of how incredibly choppy it is and Columbus Circle carts are AliExpress bootleg tier quality, but it's going to be available if anyone wants it. It has the teacup, too.

Bic Camera and Amazon also have it. Interesting. Looks like this was announced a while ago and either we all missed the announcement or nobody posted about it, but here it is: https://www.columbuscircle.co.jp/produc ... 9233&ca=22
cfx

Post by cfx »

A number of Strictly Limited's Cotton games are in a 3 for €66 deal, and since they're ones already released there shouldn't be any delay in actually getting anything.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

hamfighterx wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm The Japanese Switch/PS5 retail release of Rainbow Cotton has what appears to be a significant delay. Playasia emailed me today to note that the previously scheduled April 18, 2024 release date has been updated and is now listed as Dec 31, 2024 (obviously a placeholder date, but that would imply a fairly lengthy delay regardless). Of course, I had just ordered the Switch cart less than a week ago since it was getting close to release. Mmhmm.
I took a look at Strictly Limited's website a few days ago to see if they were still claiming an April release and noticed that their release date had slipped to "Winter 2024/25." I didn't think much of it beyond potentially being a more accurate release window given their current progress with their backlog. Just now seeing this, and it looks like the problem might actually be bigger than SLG, for once.

Now the question is: will the digital version make its scheduled release later this month (the lack of listings in online storefronts does not inspire confidence)? Or is this an issue with the revamped game itself that goes beyond the mysteries of physical production workflow and timelines?

I guess I shouldn't complain because the last ~4 years have been an absolute feast of Cotton titles, but I'm really looking forward to giving this black sheep of the series another shot to see if it can be improved by modern QOL options.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The video that ININ put on youtube two weeks ago has a May 9, 2024 date at the end of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bExfpAE0Lcg

From the ININ Japan website: http://iningames.jp/games/rainbow-cotton/
ININ Games website wrote:サクセスの大人気コットンシリーズより「レインボーコットン」をリメイクし、2024年初夏にNintendo Switch/PlayStation®️5/4、Xbox One、Steam 版を発売します。
Early summer 2024 according to that.

They don't distinguish between physical and digital so they presumably mean both. CDJapan still lists April 18 and Amiami says mid-April. Famitsu.com's release schedule still says spring 2024.

EDIT: Playasia now shows a placeholder December 31, 2024 date for the Japanese version:
https://www.play-asia.com/rainbow-cotto ... /13/70gn0t
cfx

Post by cfx »

Youtubers are reviewing this now, so the May 9 date seems to be holding true for the digital version.

The ININ Japan website for the game still just says "Summer 2024" and CDJapan now shows a May 23 date for the physical PS5 and Switch versions. SLG's release...who knows given how things have been going with them lately.

I've watched several of the youtube reviews and they all say pretty much the exact same thing. This one is typical with the advantage that he's played the Dreamcast version as well, and recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxQTC74dAW4

They changed the way Cotton moves so the targeting reticule moves away from being obscured by Cotton herself when you move around, so that's a real improvement. Nothing much else has changed though, according to all the reviews.

I preordered a long time ago; will see if that was a mistake, whenever I finally get it. As the PS4 version is the only one I can actually play, I had to order from SLG. Maybe I'll get it and Eschatos before I die; given my age it will be a race as to which event comes first. :P
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Yeah... ultimately the problem with Rainbow Cotton is it isn't very good.
And by that I mean, there's like 200 little things that make it not very enjoyable, that in of themselves aren't the worst thing in the world -- but in totality? -- y'know...

So the camera's fixed? Great. That's really only one of 20 obstacles the game places in your path in attempts to impede your enjoyment of it.

It needs more of a redo than a few tweaks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A big red flag is that the game still does not have autofire. That seems almost ludicrous.
Steven

Post by Steven »

EmperorIng

Re: Cotton REBOOT 2(!) and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

Post by EmperorIng »

But what is there to reboot this time?!?
cfx

Post by cfx »

EmperorIng wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 am But what is there to reboot this time?!?
Haha. I'm much happier to see this than Rock 'n Roll 2 becasue I can't stand the art style used in the first one of those and I also can't see anything.

Unhappy that it's not available physically on PS4, but with a Spring 2025 release date I guess I"m lucky it's on the console at all.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

More new Cotton is great, but I'm still holding out hope that we get a NGPC/PCE collection since pretty much every other installment (other inevitable random Japanese computer ports aside) has now been brought into the modern era.

In further news, it seems the digital release of Rainbow Cotton actually did happen (given how release dates for both JP physical and digital editions seemed to bounce around a bit a few months back, I was half expecting another delay at the 11th hour) and our forum's resident reviewer has already covered it: https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/rainbow-cotton. I'm glad to hear the port apparently fared pretty well, and I'll probably use a weekend purchase to try and motivate myself to get through the last day of the work week.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The website says 完全新作, so this is a completely new game.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A new villain named "Willow"?

xxx1993 would have been on one heckuva tear on hearing that.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Switch port of Rainbow Cotton is a mere 807mb d/l and runs at a silky-smooth 60fps framerate (the original Dreamcast release of RC runs at 30fps). The anime cutscenes interspersed between stages moves the story along between Cotton and fairy Silk. Playing RC on the Oled variant Switch looks awesome, especially with the anime cutscenes.

It's available on Switch, Steam and Xbox Series S/X platforms as a digital download courtesy of ININ themselves. The Steam port of RC has a special introductory offer of 10% off it's original asking price of $19.99 usd making it $17.99 usd for a limited time + Steam Deck support from the get-go is included.

The TTI release of Super CD-Rom2 Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams for the Turbo Duo/TurboGrafx CD add-on sure goes for a pretty penny nowadays given it's late game release stateside back in 1993. Of course, mail order business Turbo Zone Direct sold brand copies of TTI Cotton port at the suggested MSRP of $39.99 usd back in 1994-1995 indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:38 am A new villain named "Willow"?
Who unearthed a long forgotten NYC Automat just to capture and hold willow.
Arino

Post by Arino »

pure brilliant!
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

I'm so happy that this is happening, I love seeing new Cotton games made! I have some mix feelings about the new characters since they aren't really reminiscent to the usual 80s anime designs that the series originally had, but overall I'm glad they're focusing on new characters since it gives people more to talk about besides gameplay.

If this is being developed by Rocket-Engine and maybe even SiestA then I guess the Trouble Witches sequel is going to get even dustier on that shelf, but I'm okay with that if it means more funny candy addict. :lol:
cfx wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 am Haha. I'm much happier to see this than Rock 'n Roll 2 becasue I can't stand the art style used in the first one of those and I also can't see anything.
I don't really mind the art style change, honestly, sure it's very modern compared to what was in Reboot but I don't find it revolting. My issue with the art direction is that everything feels cheap, from the 2D cutscenes and character intros to the 3D environment.
Warp_Rattler wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:24 am More new Cotton is great, but I'm still holding out hope that we get a NGPC/PCE collection
Honestly I wish they did release arcade FND to consoles or some of the ports based on it, having it completely absent while the X68000 port takes front and center stage feels like it's being memory holed, especially since not that many people know that the X68000 port changes so many things.

By the way, here are the new characters for Reboot 2, I love how goofy the first looks, she reminds me of those funny Marisa images where she's tiny and has an enormous hat, IIRC she's a playable character.
Spoiler

Steven

Post by Steven »

I just hope they manage to not have MASSIVE MULTIPLIERS EVERYWHERE THAT MAKE IT HARD TO SEE this time.