Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

Steven

Re: Cotton Reboot and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL! (2021, PS4/NSW/PC

Post by Steven »

I am personally more interested in why the title, both on Steam and on Switch, is COTTOn. Like why not capitalize just the n?
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Steven wrote:I am personally more interested in why the title, both on Steam and on Switch, is COTTOn. Like why not capitalize just the n?
My best guess is that it's related to how the series logo is designed.
https://files.catbox.moe/7owcj0.png
If you analyze the letters closely, you would notice that the letter "n" is the only character using its lowercase form, while all the others are uppercase or at least implied to be.
It's honestly just a small inconsistency, not really worth a redesign, but I wouldn't bother typing it out like that, it's kinda similar to typing out é whenever you discuss Pokemon.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, that was my thought as well. Still kind of an odd thing, but if that's how they want to do it, I guess that's how it is.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

FunktionJCB wrote:The Steam page for Cotton Rock'n'Roll is now up. It releases on January 6:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1364 ... HT_DREAMS/
Great news for one of the best modern shmups. Seriously guys, don't sleep on this. The scoring system is great, the characters all play so differently from one another, and the sheer number of unlockable stages really keeps you coming back.

Going to repost the link to my high score thread!

This should hopefully spur me to finally update my Cotton Reboot thread, too :oops:
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Success are self-publishing. Fantasy was ININ's choice of name.

Anyway, I have hype!! I've been holding out for the PC version, really looking forward to playing.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Rock n Roll is now available for purchase on Steam. 10% discount for the first week.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

$22.49 after launch discount. Not a bad price at all.

It's a really wonderful game. Not really an indie game, it feels more like a higher budget affair for a shmup. And the gameplay is great.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The exa version of Rock 'n' Roll apparently has less lag than the console versions, so it will interesting to see how the PC version compares. I heard the PC version of Reboot is (was?) not great, so hopefully this one turns out okay.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:The exa version of Rock 'n' Roll apparently has less lag than the console versions, so it will interesting to see how the PC version compares. I heard the PC version of Reboot is (was?) not great, so hopefully this one turns out okay.
The problem with Reboot is that it was displaying at 720P, even if you set it to a higher resolution (which made the graphics a bit blurry).
Otherwise, in terms of the actual gameplay, everything was well. It's just that, for the asking price, some effort would be expected.
And, it seems that you can manually force the game to display at a higher resolution (I haven't tried it myself; I played with the game, as is).

So, it's not a total disaster, and I'm still happy I bought it (during a sale), but for the above average price, some more effort would be expected.

---

As for Rock 'n' Roll, I bought it a few minutes ago, so this is still very much "early info", but the port appears to be very solid.
The game detected my default settings and resolution with no problem (so, the problem that Reboot has doesn't happen here), and everything appears to be running well. There's even a proper quit button (it's laughable I have to mention this, but on many Japanese ports developers forget to provide an option to quit the game, since it isn't needed for consoles :mrgreen:; heck, even the "mighty" M2 forgot to include a quit option/button on various titles they handled).
ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower »

I'm kicking myself for sleeping on Cotton Rock N' Roll. Whoever said it really feels like a Treasure game won me over. There's something very Gunstar about the big bulby shots and the feel of the homing weapon. I can totally see where you can go deep on routing the stages for optimal score with Cotton alone, and I haven't even dug into the other characters.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Well, I played it some more, and the PC port is very solid.
I experienced no problems, no slowdowns/lag of note, it looks good and plays good.

The only minor "issue" is that the Steam achievements are currently displaying in Japanese only. :mrgreen:

Other than that, no complaints.

And, it's a fun, colourful game, with a good amount of content (clearing the game for the first time already added one more character to the roster, and there's still some more stages to unlock).
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

I'm enjoying this release immensely. Far more thorough gameplay than Reboot. RnR and Rolling Gunner really got me excited with their Steam releases recently. I will end up putting much more playtime in Cotton RnR though due to its fast nature. Playing for score is just so fun and frantic and input lag is low. 9/10 for me.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I hope it goes 50% sale on Steam sometime this year. Seems great game.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Visually the game runs just fine on steam deck, but there is no sound. Strange. This is the only game I've come across with something like this, so it must be using some weird sound libraries.

Otherwise, seems to be a good port. Game comes with a rank meter which wasn't in the arcade version and a stage practice with a lot of parameters.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Anyone knows if the Nendoroid fig that's in the Cotton Rock'n'Roll/Fantasy JP collector is the same that's in the Strictly Limited one ? In terms of size, especially. Thanks !

Links :
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/HAC-S-UC- ... B097THQQ8L
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/co ... 4-preorder
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think I recall reading someplace that it's the same figure, but I'm not positive, so take that with a grain of salt.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This would be the place to watch for any updates.

https://myfigurecollection.net/entry/232254
https://myfigurecollection.net/item/1234588

Nendoroids are all generally the same size, though, so I wouldn't worry about that.
cfx

Post by cfx »

There used to be a smaller Nendoroid Puchi but it would be listed as that name (or Nendoroid Petite) if that is what it was.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

To Far Away Times wrote:Visually the game runs just fine on steam deck, but there is no sound. Strange. This is the only game I've come across with something like this, so it must be using some weird sound libraries.
Weird, sound works fine for me. Are you using a particular Proton branch or the default?
Lux

Post by Lux »

Answering my own question regarding the Nendoroid : the Cotton Fantasy collector box is way bigger than the Cotton Reboot one, which I got first. I couldn't understand how they could fit all that in here, hence my earlier post :mrgreen: I'm now the happy owner of said figurine, among other things.
BulletMagnet

Re: Cotton Reboot and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL! (2021, PS4/NSW/PC)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems Rainbow Cotton will be following its predecessors to modern formats.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Good!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I wonder who's doing the port. I know the people who did the Rumble Fish 2 port say they have DC/NAOMI-specific tooling, which makes me wonder if it could be them.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I hope the statement about enhanced controls means there will be an option for the game to work like Space Harrier or pretty much any game of this type that isn't Rainbow Cotton. Having the cursor positioning be absolute with the analog stick where it automatically goes back to the center of the screen was not a good design choice for this game. It was made worse by the crappy nature of the Dreamcast analog. I own Dreamcast Rainbow Cotton but I found the game essentially unplayable. That word gets thrown around a lot now, but in this case it is accurate in my view.

Other than that Gematsu article, I can't find anything on this. It's not on either the Japanese or EU ININ Games websites.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ms. Tea wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:13 am I know the people who did the Rumble Fish 2 port say they have DC/NAOMI-specific tooling, which makes me wonder if it could be them.
So is it a Western dev? Doing contract work for Dimps? That's... interesting. Unless it's 3goo making the deal despite all the narrative.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Seems Rainbow Cotton will be following its predecessors to modern formats.

Wild

I'm one of the three people that actually own this on Dreamcast, and... There's a reason only three people actually own it.
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

This guy just came out to say he and his team are working on the Rainbow Cotton remaster.
https://twitter.com/andreasscholl09/sta ... 4232310178
I'm not familiar with this person, but considering how most of the replies are supportive of him, especially from people like Christian Whitehead, I'd say it's in good hands. He's also doing a tribute to Burning Rangers in his spare time which seems neat.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:40 am Seems Rainbow Cotton will be following its predecessors to modern formats.

Wild

I'm one of the three people that actually own this on Dreamcast, and... There's a reason only three people actually own it.
I had been number four, years ago, but sold it off during a purge of stuff I had held on to simply for "collecting's" sake. I always regretted that; it wasn't a great game but I loved the overall aesthetic (there was something very "Dreamcast" about it) and found it more engaging than the (albeit impressive) tech demo nature of Panorama Cotton. I'm glad they're getting around to this--given the deluge of Cotton [re]releases over the past few years it felt inevitable, but I wondered if the original being on the Dreamcast meant it would be too much work compared to the other games in the series. The graphical tweaks are whatever, but I'm looking forward to the updated controls if it would mean fixing the original analog wonkiness.

That Gematsu article didn't have to go and plaster the game's initial release year so prominently at the top, though. I don't really like being forced to reckon with the passage of time like that.

I don't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else online, but somebody somewhere put out the idea that needs to be a collection with the PC-Engine and NGPC Cotton games, which is a fabulous idea.
StarLightMoonLight wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:02 pmHe's also doing a tribute to Burning Rangers in his spare time which seems neat.
OT, but it is criminal that this game has not received any sort of contemporary port/update/rerelease yet.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

cfx wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:03 amI hope the statement about enhanced controls means there will be an option for the game to work like Space Harrier or pretty much any game of this type that isn't Rainbow Cotton.
If the features description on this SLG page is accurate it sounds like you'll be getting your wish, though the original controls will also be available. Naturally there's also an LE with the obligatory tea cup.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Now all they have to do is fix the camera so you can see what's in front of you, and re-color the enemies so they're not exactly the same color as the power-ups, and we'll be in business!