Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

cfx

Re: Cotton Reboot and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL! (2021, PS4/NSW/PC)

Post by cfx »

BulletMagnet wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:18 am
cfx wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:03 amI hope the statement about enhanced controls means there will be an option for the game to work like Space Harrier or pretty much any game of this type that isn't Rainbow Cotton.
If the features description on this SLG page is accurate it sounds like you'll be getting your wish, though the original controls will also be available. Naturally there's also an LE with the obligatory tea cup.
I hope so, but that's the exact same wording that was in the Gematsu article:
Strictly LImited Games wrote:Enhanced controls: Revamped snap-back and lock-on features for a more engaging experience
I've never seen it refereed to as "snap-back" before but I guess that is referring to the auto-centering of the cursor to the center of the screen. All that really says is there is a "revamped" version of snap-back, rather than saying there is an alternative to snap-back which is what I actually want since I don't want it returning to center at all. Of course, it's very possible that is just worded poorly.

And just great--it's an SLG release so presumably not an ININ version, which means by the time it is out so there can be an answer to my question, this will probably be sold out.
KAI

Post by KAI »

OMG COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 announced!!
https://youtu.be/SXGnZDXscn8
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Nice hair.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Oh hell yes!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Great news for us shmuppacinos. Cotton Rock and Roll was so good, I'm hopeful they can build on that for a new sequel.
cfx

Post by cfx »

EmperorIng wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:13 am Great news for us shmuppacinos. Cotton Rock and Roll was so good, I'm hopeful they can build on that for a new sequel.
Is it too much to hope it's less graphically ugly this time?

What is "APM3"? The screen at the end of the video says (in Japanese) that it is for arcade/APM3/console/PC.
Ms. Tea

Re: Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

Post by Ms. Tea »

APM3 is Sega's current arcade platform - ALL.Net P-ras Multi 3. The first Rock'n Roll was an APM3 game too.

I loved the first Rock'n Roll, so I'm really looking forward to this. Definitely grabbing it whne it comes out on PC.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I thought maybe it was the name of some arcade hardware, but since "arcade" is listed as a separate platform that it's on, I thought it must be something else.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Inevitable tea cup version on day 1. Rock 'n' Roll is awesome, so I'm hoping for more of that here. Really need to get the PC version eventually.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

KAI wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:02 am OMG COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 announced!!
https://youtu.be/SXGnZDXscn8
A sequel already? Holy shit, this franchise is evolving fast!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just hope they manage to make the game not run like complete shit in handheld mode on Switch this time.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Aren't you going to buy it on the superior platform as always, making the Switch version irrelevant? :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

I am, but handheld mode is nice. Besides, if you buy a Cotton game and don't get the tea cup, you're doing it wrong.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Panorama and 100% headed to both current and last-gen XBox setups in a few days.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

ININ Games is putting more than just those two, very cool for the three people on here that own Xboxes that don't end with 360. Me included. lol

https://twitter.com/ININ_Games/status/1 ... 3166254232
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

May 9th release date for Rainbow Cotton.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Digital only, according to Noisy Pixel, making the SLG versions the only physical versions apparently:
https://noisypixel.net/rainbow-cotton-h ... e-trailer/
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

cfx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 am Digital only, according to Noisy Pixel, making the SLG versions the only physical versions apparently:
There’s an Asian release too, which I’m going for personally.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/Rainb ... 7120626378
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Kinda having a hard time getting my head around the idea that this game came out 24 years ago.

The past six months or so have sort of been a constant string of realizations that a lot of things in my lifetime happened much longer ago than I recollect. The numbers are correct, but I don't like it.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Jonpachi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:36 am
cfx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 am Digital only, according to Noisy Pixel, making the SLG versions the only physical versions apparently:
There’s an Asian release too, which I’m going for personally.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/Rainb ... 7120626378
Not for PS4 though, so I'm stuck with SLG as that's still the only PS4 physical release.

That must have just recently become orderable though? I saw it earlier but it was one of those things Playasia listed but you couldn't actually order, and they sometimes put things up like that that never actually exist.

Definitely real now though as it's on the ININ Japan website:
https://iningames.jp/games/rainbow-cotton/
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If there was ever a game not worth upgrading your console for, this is it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was going to say... isn't Rainbow Cotton generally regarded as being, you know...

bad?

While I am here, I might as well mention that while the big Steam sale just ended (and I bought absolutely nothing), Rock 'n' Roll is still 65% off for the next few days.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I've had the Dreamcast version since release, and yes, it's a terrible game. Making Cotton self-centering to the center of the screen when you let go of the analog stick was the dumbest design decision ever, and with how crappy the Dreamcast controller's analog is made it even worse.

I used to own the Dreamcast ASCII Mission Stick (weird flightstick made primarily for Aero Dancing), and Rainbow Cotton actually wasn't too bad to play with that. I sold it eventually though as it seemed dumb to keep for only the one game as I didn't have any of the flight sims as that isn't my thing.

ININ is touting some kind of alternate control method so there's some slight hope for improvement here but I am not counting on anything.

I have no intention of buying another console. PS5 costs too much, I hate the controller, and after being on the market for 3-1/2 years there's still nothing on the system that isn't on PS4 to make me even want the thing. Once there's no longer anything I can buy I'll just play what I have. I'm old and have more games than I'll be able to play before I die.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The arcade version of Space Harrier automatically centers your dude and that game works just fine. Rainbow Cotton didn't have Suzuki working in it, though.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Arcade Space Harrier also plays with a big flight stick and not a tiny analog thumb pad, which makes a world of difference as evidenced with that joystick thing I had. Controller analog sticks aren't really conducive to having to hold them to some position for this type of control, or at least I don't think so, and considering how few games work this way with them, I guess most game designers don't think so either.

Cotton's control is just finicky I think anyway, and the perspective used was such that she'd often be on top of things you need to see. This new version does appear to have done something different with the targeting cursor that may have fixed that though.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think Space Harrier is pretty okay on Switch using both the official Nintendo Pro controller and the Hori thing. Switch controllers in general are not especially good, unfortunately, but with these two it's a good enough experience. There is a Space Harrier at Mikado in Ikebukuro, but it's the more simple version instead of the deluxe moving cabinet. I wish I could find the deluxe version somewhere. Same with (Super) Hang-On, which I have never seen at an arcade, and After Burner II.

It would be nice if they fixed Cotton. Is the stage design generally okay?
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 am It would be nice if they fixed Cotton. Is the stage design generally okay?
It's been years since I attempted to play the Dreamcast game, but as far as I can remember, yeah.

The ININ page just has this vague wording:
ININ Games wrote:Enhanced controls: Revamped snap-back and lock-on features for a more engaging experience.
Since the developer is not Ratalaika Games, I have somne hope.

Random playthrough of the Dreamcast version, which, assuming the player just isn't terrible, shows how jumpy the targeting is and how Cotton obscures things due to the POV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mgnzm4w6o

ININ's recent video seems to have changed something in terms of visibility at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bExfpAE0Lcg

Their video cracks me up, because by their own definitions given, Cotton Reboot is a "remake" not a "remaster" because it certainly doesn't have identical replay to the original Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams. Given the X68000 version being included that should be obvious, and even that version isn't identical to the arcade game.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm pretty hyped by that video. It looks charming and playable at least. I'll be there day one on this for sure.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm always interested in seeing more rail shooters release, even if the original game wasn't amazing.

Space Harrier is great on switch btw. You can use the split pad pro in portable mode, or the pro controller docked. If the game is too hard for you, M2 have kindly included the super awesome Komainu Barrier mode, which reduces the difficulty while modifying gameplay slightly and adding a ton of little lore bits where the main character talks to the Komainu like they are his pets. :D
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

The Japanese Switch/PS5 retail release of Rainbow Cotton has what appears to be a significant delay. Playasia emailed me today to note that the previously scheduled April 18, 2024 release date has been updated and is now listed as Dec 31, 2024 (obviously a placeholder date, but that would imply a fairly lengthy delay regardless). Of course, I had just ordered the Switch cart less than a week ago since it was getting close to release. Mmhmm.