R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by BIL »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Spoiler
Granzella channel has footage of Dobs out of the ice and snippets of the DLC levels!
Good shit. :cool:
Spoiler
Dobie a soldier, they can't just ice him up like some jumbo shrimp. Image

Image Image
MJR

Post by MJR »

I had very little money when this kickstarter was announced, and when the most of the perks were still available, so I wasn't able to back for anything else than digital download code for PS4. But now that things are better, I preordered the Inaugural flight edition for Switch. Being a new R-type game is kind of an event for me, so double dipping was a no-brainer really.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Great stream, thanks for sharing! Interesting how much stuff glimpsed in the trailer doesn't seem to appear in your playthrough.
Spoiler
Granzella channel has footage of Dobs out of the ice and snippets of the DLC levels!
Spoiler regarding (Ronnie) Dobs:
Spoiler
A comment on my video seems to hint at a ship with a fire based beam can melt the ice. I haven't unlocked it myself but will certainly try.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Update
Spoiler
Dobs is unfrozen on R-Typer and is very hard or super easy depending on your ship. Also the Course Edit pets you male your own routes so if you wanted to Stage 7.2 can be your first stage and so on. I think they built this game to be fun and expressive instead of the streamlined approach of most SHMUPS where its either about scoring or 1CC to form a. standardized "meta" if that makes sense.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Astro City II wrote:
SPM wrote:
I thought that wasn't the case with the Switch. Heard people getting base game and DLCs in different regions.
It's a little messy.

The system itself and the games are not region locked. But each profile on your switch can only be associated with one region app store.
It's not account-related, it depends on where the publisher decides to list a game.

Case 1) Some Switch games are universal SKUs, so one version of the game for the entire world. They'll be listed on several eShops when the appropriate language support is added to the game.

Case 2) Other Switch games will have different SKUs for each region. This normally happens because publishing rights change between regions (e.g. Deep Silver published Puyo Puyo Tetris in Europe), or because the physical edition might have different languages on the game card, like the upcoming Famicom Tantei Club. For physical copies you can actually see which SKU you have by looking at the last character of the serial on the label. If it's 'A' you got the original SKU, for example ALL copies of Breath of the Wild end with A, because it's one game file for the entire world.

With games in Case 1, DLC works between regions, because it's one game file for the entire world. With Case 2 you'll need matching DLC for the SKU, so if Europe got a different version of the game you'll need the DLC from the European eShop.

This might help some folk too: Nintendo Accounts are actually region agnostic and have been this way since they existed in 2016. You can change your region at any time by going to accounts dot nintendo dot com. The country you pick determines what eShop you get. I've been doing this since launch day and it keeps all your purchases - regardless of which eShop bought from - under a single account, rather than several.

Bonus: You can find out if a digital game is a universal SKU if it still shows up as purchased on the eShop after you switch countries via accounts dot nintendo dot com. For example, Moon: Remix RPG Adventure is a universal SKU and shows up as purchased on both the Japanese and European eShops even though I bought it from the Japanese eShop. Same for the recent release of Saga Frontier Remastered. Universal SKUs are generally the rule rather than the exception.

Hope this helps somebody.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:So I got my backer copy in today and finished one playthrough after 4 hours or so.
Thank you for the detailed writeup, good to have something like this before launch. I'm actually wondering about the 4 hours you mentioned for a playthrough - would you say this is closer to the full length of the game's seven stages, or does it include retries and deaths?

I'm worried it'll be a bit too long for comfortable replays years later, bit like how I find it quite difficult to return to Tsumi to Batsu 2 due to the sheer length of its stages.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I skimmed through the four hour stream, game looks really good. Can't wait for this one.

Doesn't look like the bits are mandatory at any given point, and recoveries seem pretty fair and reasonable for the most part. I'd just instantly restart if I died in R-Type 1 or 2, since the bits are so important for routing in those games. Later R-Type games are better about the recoveries.

It was fun watching someone go through the learning process with the checkpoints and trying different approaches.
system11

Post by system11 »

Mine arrived today - I'm working at the moment so can't really put more than half an hour in. I like speed ups no longer being a powerup (was that in Final? can't recall), stage 1 is better than st1 of Final mostly because it has music I think, still fairly sparse. Surprised at the low HP of st1 boss, most of my initial deaths and some in each of st1-3 have involved hitting scenery I didn't know I could hit. I do miss the visual clarity of older polygon games where due I think to technical limitations the backgrounds were always *obviously* backgrounds.

More opinions later I imagine. Playing on a PS5 and I haven't seen any bugs or anything yet but it was a shame to see there is *already* a patch.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Speed in R-Type has been adjustable since Delta.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
heli

Post by heli »

system11 wrote:it was a shame to see there is *already* a patch.
I was shocked when looking youtube movie title named : patch 1.02
Inaugural flight edition have box, cd and artbook i dont have place for.
My local shop have in stock today, dont wanto throw away those extras.
Waiting for the complete edition without extras.

What is all the DLC you have to pay for ?
Graphics looking great, music is not so super with to much goa trance.
Sound-FX are from final 1, for a miljon dollar, i want a job like that.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Loving the 2nd route final stage:
Spoiler
BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
鬼神 Kill Em All 1987
I am trash stage
410,757,864,530 DEAD R9S
A bunch of the tracks are very Huelsbeckesque. Makes me wonder if he's gonna make a surprise announcement.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
system11

Post by system11 »

I did find one bug, it was spectacular and sadly restarting the game fixed it - the Chiron developed SUPER BRIGHT weapons that lit up everything so much it didn't render correctly.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I don't suppose anyone's been able to unlock all the ships yet? Would be interested in seeing the full list once it's known.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
system11

Post by system11 »

I'm warming up to this in ways I never did with Final, although stage 5 is oddly sparse. The ships with the detached seeking pod seem incredibly good, but stage 6 seems like quite a difficulty wall.
To Far Away Times

I was noticing that in the demo. One of the ships with a seeking pod just absolutely melted Mr. Dobkerarops.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Here people are already finishing the game, yet I just got an email stating, "We will be sending codes after the release date. Contact us if you don't get a code a few days after."

I'm guessing they'll probably send codes out the day-of. Would be nice if they were a little more specific.
system11

Post by system11 »

That's because the physical copies were sent early with the hope of arriving before release day.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I've got about 4 hours of sortie time in (so actual gameplay time, not just futzing about in the menus or hangar), most of that today 'cause I've had the day off. Just made it to Stage 5 on a life, I've got 20 ships unlocked and more to come as soon as I get some of those resources.

I'm also quite liking the metagame of unlocking ships and testing them out. It's always a nice surprise when you try out a ship that the game describes as being not very good, and then it turns out to have some great tactical advantages.

(Some minor spoilers regarding ship capabilities and Stages 2 and 4)
Spoiler
Like R-9DV Tears Shower and R-9DV2 Northern Lights, whose charge shot is said to be not good against giant Bydo because it's just a short burst from a Vulcan cannon, but that thing's got some serious DPS, I was able to destroy many bosses much faster than with any other ship so far. Or at least with Northern Lights that has an improved version of it that goes up to 3 loops.

And then there's the R-9E -series which are supposed to be light recon/patrol ships and the charge shot is a just a short-range blast. BUT that blast isn't restricted by what's in front of the craft, so it can't be blocked by terrain or an enemy's invulnerable shield, meaning it absolutely trivializes Stage 4's gauntlet of hanging ballsacks and organic turrets that hide behind their shields (Jerilly). And it can even damage bosses when their weak spot is turned the other way, making Stage 2 and Stage 4 bosses much easier, I tore through them with R-9E3 Sweet Luna.
I didn't play Final 1 enough to unlock many ships at all, so I don't know how different the ship selection is here. Overall my fav ship so far is the RX-10 Albatross, the same ship I used to beat R-Type Delta nine years ago. Looks like it's a powerful one here as well.

One of the latest Kickstarter mails said "This is the player ship we will send the backers who pledged to the $500 rewards. It's now in the process of finalizing. We apologize for the delay." I wonder if that means they're in the process of finalizing sending the codes, or in the process of actually implementing the ship? The latter would mean the ship's not included in the physical version at all and requires yet another patch, which kind of sucks. I didn't pledge that much so it doesn't really affect me, though I rather hope those ships will be made available to everyone at some point.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I ended up going for the PS4 version, as there seemed to be some early fps concerns with the Switch port. Any Switch players have a report on performance? I love to have side-scrollers on the Switch, so I'd double-dip if the port holds up.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Jonpachi wrote:I ended up going for the PS4 version, as there seemed to be some early fps concerns with the Switch port. Any Switch players have a report on performance? I love to have side-scrollers on the Switch, so I'd double-dip if the port holds up.
I've been playing it on Switch and I think it's fine. I don't have any actual metrics, but I haven't noticed any stuttering or such. No crashes or other issues either.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Austin

Post by Austin »

Got an email today stating Xbox One codes will not be sent immediately. No exact ETA, heh. I suspect there aren’t many of you that backed that are playing on that platform, but FYI just in case.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the Xbox Series X/S consoles, R-Type Final 2 is a mere 1.84gb d/l with latest patch applied as of 4-27-21. Unfortunately, for USA region XSX/S console owners won't be able to play their pre-downloaded RTF2 stg until 4-30-21 -- the wait & patience continues.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I have retitled the game R-Type Delta 2 using the Delta font. It's a nifty, if not completely silly option.

I was getting impatient and decided to credit feed through stages 4, 5, 6.1 and 7.1 just to see an ending. Stage 7.1 on Switch has some serious frame rate issues... it dropped to single digits at one point (the rest of the game is pretty even and smooth).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

As cool as the game is, I'm intrigued by this as a cultural artifact.

R-Type as a sci-fi creation that happens to use the videogame medium instead of novels or movies, if you want.

When this was first announced, I remember several interviews with Kujo trying to explain the reasoning behind the "Final 2" odd name...

The truth was way more shocking than any western audience would like to admit though. It's called like this because the previous one was really meant to be the end, and this one is reframed as "collecting historical data and gather info on the bydo wars".

So while unlocking stuff in the R-Museum's tree, I get this weird sensation (probably a sensation only Gran Turismo fans can recognize) to unlock the very same models of fictional spaceships, in the very same sequence. I think any other person on earth would have approached a chance at another installment as an opportunity to go wild and develop new spaceships and such. Like you know... every other shooter in existence.

Not here. Here once you get the "Chiron", it's because you developed the embryonal transformation vessel "Eclipse"... These ships which accompanied me for more than two decades, that I looked for in form of dogtags all around, they are part of an history record that is not taken lightly by developers. I didn't take my Final copy off the shelf, but I could be reasonably sure that even the ships' text descriptions are basically lifted from the 2002 title.

You can get plenty of horizontal shooting action everywhere these days. Heck, they just released Thunder Cross II in the Hamster line. But you can "study" the Bydo wars only here.
X - P - B
qmish

Post by qmish »

Sounds disappointing :| Not that it matters much for playing the game, but surely details like that contributes to what makes game extra special.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Has anyone unlocked the higher R-typer difficulties? I wonder how they compare! I'm developing stockholm syndrome from Gradius III and I want this game to keep it going :lol:
To Far Away Times wrote:Doesn't look like the bits are mandatory at any given point, and recoveries seem pretty fair and reasonable for the most part. I'd just instantly restart if I died in R-Type 1 or 2, since the bits are so important for routing in those games. Later R-Type games are better about the recoveries.
If you can get the force at the beginning of a tough checkpoint I prefer it to be kind of mandatory (I'd go even further to the point of making the ship start with the force from the get-go and just design the game with that in mind, without "naked" ships). The force is what makes R-Type R-Type :D

Btw, RT2 isn't that bad with its checkpoints (my first 1CC -first loop- was recovering in stages 3,5 and 6). The first R-Type though... that one's a bitch.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
To Far Away Times

Turrican wrote:As cool as the game is, I'm intrigued by this as a cultural artifact.

R-Type as a sci-fi creation that happens to use the videogame medium instead of novels or movies, if you want.

When this was first announced, I remember several interviews with Kujo trying to explain the reasoning behind the "Final 2" odd name...

The truth was way more shocking than any western audience would like to admit though. It's called like this because the previous one was really meant to be the end, and this one is reframed as "collecting historical data and gather info on the bydo wars".

So while unlocking stuff in the R-Museum's tree, I get this weird sensation (probably a sensation only Gran Turismo fans can recognize) to unlock the very same models of fictional spaceships, in the very same sequence. I think any other person on earth would have approached a chance at another installment as an opportunity to go wild and develop new spaceships and such. Like you know... every other shooter in existence.

Not here. Here once you get the "Chiron", it's because you developed the embryonal transformation vessel "Eclipse"... These ships which accompanied me for more than two decades, that I looked for in form of dogtags all around, they are part of an history record that is not taken lightly by developers. I didn't take my Final copy off the shelf, but I could be reasonably sure that even the ships' text descriptions are basically lifted from the 2002 title.

You can get plenty of horizontal shooting action everywhere these days. Heck, they just released Thunder Cross II in the Hamster line. But you can "study" the Bydo wars only here.
Godammit. That's disapointing. I only played around with a handful of ships on Final 1 so theres a lot of "new" content here, but still...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Kiken wrote:I was getting impatient and decided to credit feed through stages 4, 5, 6.1 and 7.1 just to see an ending. Stage 7.1 on Switch has some serious frame rate issues... it dropped to single digits at one point (the rest of the game is pretty even and smooth).
That's a shame. A new patch dropped today, hopefully that fixes it.

And speaking of, I managed to reach 7.1 on a credit just now. But I was a bit surprised by what happened there and I got killed by the very first shot fired at me, ending my credit. Ah well. Didn't want to credit feed just yet.

I was also running on a high since that run not only had me fighting, and beating, Stage 5 boss for the first time, but also seeing and beating Stage 6.1 on my very first go. But I attribute this to the seeking Force that I was using at the time, rather than any innate awesomeness. 6.1 did feel very short (and much more action-packed) than 5.

My videos
To Far Away Times

Successful blind runs on brand new stages feel so good. What feels not so good is on later attempts when you die on stages where you hadn't died before.

Does anyone know when this unlocks for us digital peasants?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

From backer's website:
We would also like to apologize for the delay in the voucher code for Xbox, and Nintendo Switch/ PlayStation 4's voucher codes for North America and Europe regions.

It is taking some time for us to prepare the voucher codes, so we will let you know after April 30 as soon as they are ready.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have access to the backer's website, your code will be posted on the 'settings' page. The soundtrack is already there for DL (in 5 parts??) but I cant get it to work.

The option to rename the game seems to be for lolz only.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]