R-Type Dimensions EX physical release for PS4/Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bydobasher

Re: R-Type Dimensions EX physical release for PS4/Switch

Post by Bydobasher »

MJR wrote: My shameful little secret is that I still play the C64 conversion of R-type from time to time, even though I have the jamma PCB at home and almost every conversion ever made. The commodore 64 version of it is not great by any means, but it was the first version of R-Type I ever saw (saw the coin op only much later), so I guess that's why it's still my favourite. You can't forget the first love or something like that. And the soundtrack is awesome. As for gameplay, the c64 version was made in few weeks in rush and it's more or less a joke :D

I often wonder why R-type 2 was only ported for 16-bit machines, but never for 8-bit. It doesnt feel THAT much more advanced, and in 1990 the 8-bit was still going strong. Then again, I only remember the "proper ports" of R-type 2 appearing on Amiga/ST, Snes version was some weird remix called Super R-type.
Nothing shameful about C64 R-Type! Some will have first come across the PCE version, or the SMS version . . . but myself, I did know it first in the arcade. It left a huge impression on me -- and everyone who saw it. There were many machines in my area, many people played it -- I shoved much pocket-change into the machines myself. But I hardly ever got past stage 3 :lol:. Really though, I cannot think of another game from that era that was as visually impactful as R-Type. It was -- and is -- incredible.

I think there was not as much of a market for RT2. Certainly I saw nowhere near as many machines where I lived. As for SRT . . . yeah, it is weird! It's also decidedly the weakest R-Type game (if we consider it as a separate entry from RT2, which I do). Like so many SNES games though, I do like the audio....
SPM wrote:Image
Man, just look at that! Great design and colours, the weapons, the boss, the action . . . it's fantastic. And the mix of bio and mech is better-realized in the first game. But MJR is absolutely correct about the RT2 final boss: that fight has the most tension of any fight in the series, in my estimation. I should go play both of these very soon!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

MJR wrote:I would love to get a remix, where you play the both R-types as one game, and in single credit - the weapon systems are not THAT different. But now I am just fan projecting here..
Have you tried R-Type DX on the gameboy colour?
Bydobasher wrote:But MJR is absolutely correct about the RT2 final boss: that fight has the most tension of any fight in the series, in my estimation.
Am I reading this right? Both final bosses have safespots but you will need both bits to get into the first's. IIRC you dont need bits for the second one, making the first final boss the most tense when playing for score. I'm not very good at these games and can only loop the first by no-missing all the way to the end. I credit fed all the way through II as a kid.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

MJR wrote: I can definitely agree that R-type 2 is great, and I wasn't aware that the JPN / EU version had that many differences.. I tried to play R-types JPN version on PSX for many years, but I felt it was just too hard for me.. so you are doing quite well if you can beat RT2 as JPN version. Is there a way to switch the roms on R-type Dimensions, or do you just have to buy it from JPN e-shop on switch?
There is no difference between regions for R-Type Dimensions. The European devs of the remake only used the World roms for reference, which doesn't make a difference in R-Type 1's case, but in R-Type 2 the game is markedly easier (not easy, just easier).

I think it's kind of puzzling why they only used the World roms, other than general cluelessness imo. I would have liked to have both versions even if I can only make progress on the World ver. of R-Type 2!
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Bydobasher wrote:But MJR is absolutely correct about the RT2 final boss: that fight has the most tension of any fight in the series, in my estimation.
Am I reading this right? Both final bosses have safespots but you will need both bits to get into the first's. IIRC you dont need bits for the second one, making the first final boss the most tense when playing for score. I'm not very good at these games and can only loop the first by no-missing all the way to the end. I credit fed all the way through II as a kid.
Well that changes everything then! :lol: I did not know about a safespot for RT2 final boss; I never discovered one. In the first game, yes, I did discover a safespot in the upper left corner (two bits required). But I never found something similar in the second game, so that fight is frantic for me :)

What I like about both RT and RT2 is that their first loops are both eminently completable, even if you're playing from every checkpoint. In the first game, I think the hardest checkpoint is mid-stage 7 -- though having to beat the final stage with nothing is no gimme. Actually, having to navigate everything the final boss is throwing at you with no bits is exhilarating! In the second game, it's probably the final checkpoint that scares me the most -- but if I knew there was a safespot I would see it differently!
Emperoring wrote:There is no difference between regions for R-Type Dimensions. The European devs of the remake only used the World roms for reference, which doesn't make a difference in R-Type 1's case, but in R-Type 2 the game is markedly easier (not easy, just easier).
Ah, so it's as I suspected then -- thanks for confirming, Emperoring.
SPM

Post by SPM »

This thread made me want to play the first R-Type again :)

So... I was trying to recover from the beginning of stage 5 and found something weird that I wasn't aware of (maybe it's only in this version). The first power-up is a speed-up, but the second sometimes is a speed-up, sometimes the force pod. Hmmm what's the deal with that? :?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
heli

Post by heli »

Is this game worth 50,- ?
The music is also sucky.

No, only i will regret if i dont buy it and later can not get it.
Its in the shop new available here.
heli

Post by heli »

Can they make Gradius 1 and 2 also with 3D graphics ?, that would be nice, why dont they ?

R-type 2 is way to difficult, there is a giant penis in a spaceship smashing me to pieces.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I first heard about R-Type mentioned in ads for SMS and TG-16. The first version I played was the b/w GB version.
heli

Post by heli »

This game crashes alot, anyone else have this ?
I wish M2 deliver updated 3D graphics for all games.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

be careful what you wish for... M2 obviously had nothing to do with this release either. TBH their in-house work doesn't impress much on a graphical standpoint (looking at what little we see of say, Aleste Branch - though their sprite work on Senjin Aleste looks better, though noticeably 'indie').

How could anyone want budget 3d vs. the absolute beauty of R-Type 2's sprites, eh? Such opinions sentence the offender to be smashed by penis battleship.
heli

Post by heli »

You wanto start a holy war ?
Those pixels hurt my eyes.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Super R-Type, weakest? R-Type 3 SNES surely?

My first version was the Spectrum, and I still think it's an absolutely amazingly close conversion given the host hardware.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Super R-Type is really only crippled by the inconsistent slowdown and MOST OF ALL the lack of checkpoints. The game is not a perfect port of R-Type 2, but it's certainly better than most of the original console ports of R-Type 1 (TG16/SMS) IMO.

Of course your mileage may vary; I think R-Type 3 is one of the better titles, but I WOULD consider the GBA version to be the weakest R-Type of all by far. Even R-Type Final is better than that.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

EmperorIng wrote:How could anyone want budget 3d vs. the absolute beauty of R-Type 2's sprites, eh?
A time machine to the mid '90s would be nice right about now.

Both Aleste Branch and Senjin Aleste look really good, by the way. Aleste Branch looks almost as good as a CV1000 game. Like, it looks way better than Crimzon Clover, Rolling Gunner, etc, and those are decent-looking games.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Marc wrote:Super R-Type, weakest? R-Type 3 SNES surely?
Inclined to agree. You can patch the slowdown out of Super, but you can't patch the dead air out of R-Type III.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was interested in this, but I wanted to ask you fine folks a couple of questions.

For one, how's the input delay? That's super important.
Two, with the "old graphics", can you have those set to where it just starts the game that way, or do I have to push some buttons?
Also, how are the filters? Any scanlines? Bilinear?

Lastly, what are the difficulty options? I have R-Types on PSX, but I would like to be able to get thru R-Type II. I've only made it to stage 4 on Easy.
heli

Post by heli »

You can have easy mode with unlimited weapons and ships without restarting the stage.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I was interested in this, but I wanted to ask you fine folks a couple of questions.

Two, with the "old graphics", can you have those set to where it just starts the game that way, or do I have to push some buttons?

Lastly, what are the difficulty options? I have R-Types on PSX, but I would like to be able to get thru R-Type II. I've only made it to stage 4 on Easy.
Based on the PS4 version:

To me, it felt more responsive than PSX R-Types. I actually sold R-Types because it felt a little too laggy.

Yes, you can set it to start up the game in old graphics by default.

No filters.

I heard R Type 2 on this compilation was not the tougher Japanese version, if someone could reconfirm that. However, you can start from and practice any level you have reached on one credit. Hope that helps,
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Actually R-Type 2 on Dimension is much, much easier.

The remake is based off of the World ROM, which has its difficulty noticeably toned down from the Japanese version. You can see this easily by comparing the end of stage 2 on both, in the Japanese version there are many more enemies coming in from behind you, vs. the World ROM's... 0

Wish there was a way to change regions but the devs used the World roms for both remakes. In R-Type 1's case, that doesn't matter (the games are identical), but by 2 they were making easier World revisions for the western market.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I was interested in this, but I wanted to ask you fine folks a couple of questions.

I'm not a great judge of that sort of thing, so I'll defer to others there except to say it feels reasonable to me.
You can set whether 2D or 3D is the default in the settings menu, and the game also presents you with a brief options screen when you start where you can choose.

For the record I actually think the 3D update is perfect, adds lots of cool touches, and I prefer it to the original.
There are a couple of filters, but for whatever reason they only affect the 3D visuals. I guess to address complaints of those who felt they were too clean and not evocative enough of the original. They just seem to try & make things look lower res & bitcrush the colours a little.
So, the game doesn't actually have difficulty settings as far as I'm aware. What it does have is two distinct modes. There's Classic, which is just the original game.

Then there's Infinite, which is kind of a combination casual & training mode. It gives you infinite lives, lets you either slow down or speed up the game, lets you power up to max with a push of the select button, does away with checkpoints & lets you respawn on the spot, and allows for two players at the same time.

Both modes let you start from any stage you've previously reached, so even on classic you don't have to replay those first three stages every time.

One other very cool feature which makes certain sections easier is that you can choose to have the game play in widescreen - not stretched, it actually renders a wider view of the playfield. This stays consistent with the 2D visuals as well, and honestly it feels quite natural.