Weekly Online Shmeet #2 (Cyvern)

Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - 3'986'440 - Ferious - 1-4 - Mame

Icarus wrote:After playing lots of Cave games for ages, I have tended to forget that there are bombs to use. I've been killed with four or five in stock before -_-;;
Seconded. I have reccently played a lot of DoDonPachi. But I had to rethink that no bomb strategy for Cyvern. However I am starting to use my bombs more than in the beginning tries. Where I also died multiple times with 5 bombs at boss 2. :(
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Why is NTSC-J in tier 2 with a higher score than the tier 1 players?
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Tomtom - 2,436,110 - Ferious - 1-3

What a great boss. It's like the third boss of DonPachi times about a billion on the awesomeness factor.

W00t, second tier!
sven666

Post by sven666 »

2.138.290 - stage 3 - furious

im playing the PCB by the way.. never touched MAME :x
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Died at Stage 3 boss... Man, I hate this game, but I want to be in the Shmeet! :P

ArrogantBastard - 1,751,580 - Ferious - 1-3 - MAME

sven666

Post by sven666 »

otherwise everything the same.. damn 3rd boss :evil:
ed: atleast medalling is easy in thisone, anywhere else besides stage 2 where you can get a 100K medal??
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
sven666

Post by sven666 »

3.321.990 - stage 4 - furious

wow, all of a sudden i just figured stage 3.. have no gripes with it now :P

stage 4 is where the ame really kicks in, managed to 1life thru the stage but lost my medals early on :evil: otherwise id have scored proboably +1mil (LOTS o medals in this stage but hard to level up), bit the dust at the boss about 2 forms in.. stage 5 here i come.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Minimal, and I do mean minimal, improvement...

crithit5000 - 1,474,110 - 1-2 - Ferious - MAME
now tighter than your sister
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Updated. Sorry for the slow updates; busy week.
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

cigsthecat wrote:Why is NTSC-J in tier 2 with a higher score than the tier 1 players?
I messed up :?
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I think you missed my post:

NTSC-J - 5,383,580 - Ferious - Stage 1-5 - Mame
ArrogantBastard

Still hating this game, but making a progress...

ArrogantBastard - 2,103,260 - Ferious - 1-4 - MAME

sven666

Post by sven666 »

ArrogantBastard wrote:Still hating this game, but making a progress...

ArrogantBastard - 2,103,260 - Ferious - 1-4 - MAME

why hating it? i think its great!

and why play a game you hate? :P
ArrogantBastard

Because I want in on the sweet, hot shmeet lovin'!
landshark

Post by landshark »

NTSC-J wrote:I think you missed my post:

NTSC-J - 5,383,580 - Ferious - Stage 1-5 - Mame
NTSC-J - that is so damned impressive. The 1-4 boss is a fucking beast (and a bastard). Congratulations.
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Finals Week and Soukyugurentai have eaten up a good chuck of time, but it's good to get a chance to compete again.

Punkfox - 2,503,230 - Ferious - Stage 1-3 - MAME
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - 1,830,040 - 1-3 - Ferious - MAME

I have a love/hate relationship with the second boss...it's so evil, but fun... :?
now tighter than your sister
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Shatterhand - 2,767,000 - Ferious - 1-3 - Mame

What the HECK is that 3rd boss? I just can't beat it, no matter how hard I try.

I don't even want to see how the 1-4 boss looks like... shit...
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ok, goodbye 3rd boss... welcome 4th boss :D

Shatterhand - 3,942,980 - Ferious - 1-4 - Mame

The 4th boss is one of the best bosses I ever battled in my life, his bullet patterns are amazing.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Good news: The latest u release of MAME contains a change to the SH2 CPU that should significantly speed up the Super Kaneko Nova System games (it dramatically speeds up the ST-V, which uses two SH2's)

Bad news: Due to another change in this release, all SKNS games currently crash a few seconds after startup.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

No one found out how to trigger the green 1st boss?

Sometimes I do everything right, I make a score of more than 300k before getting to the boss, I don't die, I don't bomb, I destroy every ground enemy, I destroy that big blue ship early in the stage, and I still get the brown boss (Which piss me off and make me reset the game)

Sometimes I fuck up, make just around 220k points before the boss, and I get the green one!

I don't think I'll be able to beat my score, all my runs after that were a lot worse, I'm still having trouble beating the 3rd boss, (Heck, I have trouble sometimes with the 2nd boss!), I keep dying a lot in stage 3 (Those big "mutoid man" are a pain in the ass, and I always try to get the secret medal there, and I nearly always bomb when the big red ground cannons appear with that big tank in the middle...).. I rarely ever reach the 3 million mark...

I'd like to watch Del playing someday.... Looking at the amount of ground enemies in Level 3 and level 4, I wonder what a skillfull player can manage to do in those levels... (I most of the time just "banish" desperately at any direction while trying to dodging the bullets, up until my banish finishes :D)

Good thing we will be playing something with a big hitbox and less bullets in the next week, even though I suck badly in Gradius... :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

First decent credit tonight, and the first time in stage5, and I make it all the way to the end-of-loop boss ^_^ After spending the early part of the week frustrated in stage4, I finally figured out the way to get through it. A spare Extend and a couple of bombs helped a lot on the fourth boss. (Dropped my Medals a bit instage though, hurting the score.)

Icarus - 7,590,890 - Ferious - 1-5 - MAME

Image Image

Since I haven't actually practiced this boss properly, made a little mistake with turret destruction, triggering some hardarse fast-blue-plasma-balls-of-death attack that took me out. And I had done so well to survive on my last life too ;_;

The Loop is mine!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Shatterhand wrote:No one found out how to trigger the green 1st boss?
You have to:
1) Banish the small green train near the start of the stage when it has fully exited the tunnel (five Medals)
2) Banish ALL green tanks in the stage
3) Get 10,000pt Medals before the train shows up.

That's my 100% method. (I think you need to be over a certain amount of points as well, not sure.) I'll be posting more in the Cyvern strat discussion soon, as I've just figured out a veritable ton of scoring tricks. ^_-

And yes, this game is played like Garegga. Lotsa bombs, lotsa deaths. ^_-

By the way, my stage1 record:

Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I think I've triggered it without banishing the whole train...

I was triggering it before I noticed I could get five medals there, and was getting only 3 or 4...

How the heck did you finish level 1 with more than 1 million? Geez, I wonder how you guys discover so many scoring methods... I've made near 800k points in Level 1, and I just can't see how I could do it more.
(And I am bet there are some obvious stuff I haven't noticed, after I saw your Donpachi Level 1 video, I just thought "Oh, how stupid I am", and then I even managed to score around 1.3 million in level 1 once)

And I agree with you, in my 1st day playing this, I begun to think "Hmm.. this feels like Garegga", and I was going to ask is someone thought this game would benefit from suicide, but then you said it :)

I really suck at playing games that I have concentrate in something to make good scores. I always pay too much attention in whatever the heck I have to do to score, and I end up losing focus in doding. In Donpachi I used to lose to many lives because I was only concetrated in chaining, and would forget to DODGE THE DAMN BULLETS. Here I get so focused at looking at ground enemies, making sure that I don't let any of them escape, that I again just forget to dodge the bullets. I've managed to die at level 1 once with just ONE bullet at screen, because I was banishing ground enemies, looking only to them, and ended up running into the bullet because I wasn't paying attention to nothing else.

I sometimes get too nervous going left and right like a stupid blind man trying to cover all ground enemies... I've lost so many lives like "Oh damn, My medals will lose their value, goddamn, go go, destroy that tank, hurry up, it's gonna leave the scr... FUCK WHY I DIDN'T SEE THAT BULLET?"
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Icarus, the last boss is probably the easiest in the game. The most obvious holes ever, I'm sure after a couple tries you'll see what I mean.

For instance, when it begins it's first attack, just fly around it's head and take out all the extra parts (starting with the ones that attack first of course). When it switches forms all you really need to do is take out one of the red balls behind it and stay above its spread attack.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

NTSC-J wrote:Icarus, the last boss is probably the easiest in the game.
Yeah, it's quite a relief after going through 2-5 and then being able to play an easy boss, although it is disappointing because I thought the game would atleast finish off with something impossibly difficult... :(
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Skyline - 3,117,790 - Ferious - 1-3 - MAME

What the fuck was I thinking using Schwarz?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The 2-2 boss ate me alive.

NTSC-J - 10,664,630 - Ferious - 2-2 - MAME
landshark

Post by landshark »

NTSC-J wrote:The 2-2 boss ate me alive.

NTSC-J - 10,664,630 - Ferious - 2-2 - MAME
Please tell me you have a recording of this.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vorpal - 3,155,100 - Altair - 1-4 - MAME
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Y'know, as evil as this game can be, the more I play it, the more I'm falling in love with it. :)

Punkfox - 3,233,720 - 1-4 - Ferious - MAME