Is it actually possible to burn a BIN/CUE on a Mac?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Re: Is it actually possible to burn a BIN/CUE on a Mac?

Post by Classicgamer »

The Apple slogan should be:

"Apple, incompatible with life".
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I can really endorse the old XP laptop method, probably cheaper on the local flea market than a copy of either modern Windows or a 1-year license for Parallels. I just burned a few Saturn discs and ~30 PS1 games. Every single one worked except one which failed to verify and had to be done over. And that's at max write speed with the cheapest CMC media. Old shit, it works :D
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

ASDR wrote:I can really endorse the old XP laptop method, probably cheaper on the local flea market than a copy of either modern Windows or a 1-year license for Parallels. I just burned a few Saturn discs and ~30 PS1 games. Every single one worked except one which failed to verify and had to be done over. And that's at max write speed with the cheapest CMC media. Old shit, it works :D
A 1 year license for parallels does not include the windows license.

If you want the latest for free you can install Windows Server 2019 from Microsoft for 180 days as many times as you would like. You could load all your files created into a Dropbox and after reinstallation unpack your Dropbox.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcen ... erver-2019

Server 2019 is the most customizable version of Windows and is intended for workstation or server management but kicks ass for gaming because of less bloatware.
Copyright 1987
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Hoagtech wrote: If you want the latest for free you can install Windows Server 2019 from Microsoft for 180 days as many times as you would like. You could load all your files created into a Dropbox and after reinstallation unpack your Dropbox.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcen ... erver-2019

Server 2019 is the most customizable version of Windows and is intended for workstation or server management but kicks ass for gaming because of less bloatware.
That's cool, I had no idea that's a thing. In the past when I needed a copy of Windows for some obscure program or to test a website with IE I always found some VM image on Microsoft's site. Like, evaluate Visual Studio 20xx for 30 days. But it's just a full Windows VM which you can use for whatever. Too bad CD burning never worked for me through Virtual Box / VMWare player.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

While we're still talking about Parallels Desktop and Windows VM's, I have to add that my 2009 Mac Pro will STILL do things my actual Windows 10, i7-7700, 16gb RAM with SSD won't do. ...like properly mount old IDE drives, and format them for the PS2 like I've been trying to do for a full 3 MONTHS on my real Windows computer (and actually let me add games to the PS2's HDD)... frigin PITA. The Mac will also burn discs, verified error free, which none of the 2 or 3 new burners my actual Windows computers has ever been able to do. It'll also run ALL the Extron and Kramer software (and other weird things I use a USB to Serial programmer cable for) which my actual Windows computers refuse to do on occasion.

On my faster/newer Mac's, I've NEVER had Windows run as smooth as when it's running on Mac hardware (and I used to have those fancy high-end Asus gaming laptops) – talking when booting into Windows, not Parallels Desktop VM FYI. Stuff just works, doesn't crash nearly as often, multitasking is faster...all on a Mac with a substantially less powerful processor than those PC's. Just weird, and kinda sad.